University of Nebraska Medical Center Employee Reviews

Nice people
Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 16, 2017
Overall good place to work but rely on state budgets. Work in a very critical operation so can be very demanding at times. Helping people can be very rewarding.
Cardiac Cath Lab
Registered Nurse Cardiac Cath Lab (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 5, 2017
My experience in the cath lab was a couple of years ago and very brief. It was not a good fit for me. The culture was very negative and did not foster growth.
a nice location to live
research associate (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 30, 2017
This university is expanding rapidly in the recent years. So there will be more chances for new comer. The overall working environment is fine. i enjoy most of the time when i am working here.
Pros
balanced work and life
Cons
not many opportunities for career development
Pretty decent and laid back at night
Office Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 18, 2017
I have enjoyed working at UNMC but found out recently my job is being eliminated due to budget cuts, schedule changes and other monetary reasons. My immediate supervisor fought hard to keep all of our office assistant positions in place but she was overrode by the higher ups. I have already applied at some other internal positions in the hospital and keeping my fingers crossed a full time position with benefits can come up.
Pros
You can use your badge/ID to pay directly for food in the cafeterias, for Nebraska Medicine products in the company store
Cons
Nurse burnout and lack of enough EVS/cleaning staff
Good opportunity for postdoctoral research associate position
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 30, 2017
Ability to network and meet with new scientists and guest speakers. A postdoc association was recently created in order to protect postdoctoral research associates.
A productive work place
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 16, 2017
With a multicultural workplace, competition thrives well as everyone shows dedication to what they do. A favorable environment to start and build a career.
It was a fair place to work. I enjoyed it.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 9, 2017
I left UNMC for Creighton University and their no tuition policy for employees. Otherwise, I would not have left. I enjoyed working for the Doctors and with the other employees. So, my experience was very good.
Pros
It is a caring place to work and the Drs. and employees were very nice
Cons
It was hard for me to see the cancer patients come in and the children getting liver transplants.
good doctors
Certified Ophthalmic Technician (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 4, 2017
• Screen patients: obtain chief complaint, history of present illness, surgical and medical history for systemic and ocular. Make note of any allergies. Check confrontational fields, muscle function, pupil check, blood pressure, intraocular pressures and dilate patients as ordered.
• Obtain any testing ordered. For example, auto refractions, color vision, lensometry, keratometry, corneal topography, humphrey visual fields, stereo vision, ocular coherence tomography, IOL measurements, fundus photography, A and B scans. I also perform refractions if ordered
horrible place if youre a hourly employee
Mail service driver/ central supply (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 4, 2017
bad bad place raises don't come for hourly employees and if they do its anywhere from a .1 to 28 cents and management thinks that just fine other employees who been there for awhile and know how the system works do very little and with no bother from the manager
Pros
nifty uniforms
Cons
they dont care about hourly we was a dime a dozen
flexibility
instructor (Former Employee) –  Hastings, NEMay 15, 2017
Able to provide support to other faculty when out of office via case study. Offered some lectures and complete clinical experience for a rotation of students.
Hard working but enjoyable place to work
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 15, 2017
I spent nearly 3 years working at UNMC, it was a fantastic place to work. The autonomy and ability to pursue ideas was great, the support was there from senior management, and the work-life balance is good in an academic setting. Omaha is a decent place to live; affordable and pleasant - if not a little isolated!
Great office!
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 29, 2017
Great providers and employees. Great teamwork! Loved working in this office. The office manager was wonderful and provided great learning experiences for me. Would highly recommend this office to friends and family.
Pros
Fun and professional all at the same time.
Cons
Can't think of any.
clerical assistant II
Clerical Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 20, 2017
Excellent place to work. It was most enjoyable position I have had in decades. The responsibility of correcting entrance exams and recertify doctors was a very enjoyable experience. Living on campus was a plus , gratefully appreciate working there.
Pros
food and beverage manager
Cons
Being laid off
Horrible place
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 14, 2017
A place where politics are more important than people! Promotions and bonuses are based on kissing backs and being on the right group or a certain side, rather than on activity and merits. Actually, meritocracy is out of that place, gone and the leaders are a group of incapable and out of reality individuals. The atmosphere is toxic and the care for patients has many weaknesses. Do yourself a deal, stay away of this place!
Pros
Cons
Nepotism, nepotism, nepotism and corruption
Currently replacing management and we have neither the space or equipment available to us
Research Technologist I (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 8, 2017
Fast pace, high expectation with sudden changes with management and coworkers and difficulty finding a place to operate has made job difficult to work in
benefits
Cons
explained above
medical recep
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 1, 2017
check in and check out, answered calls, cash handling, input orders, scheduled appts, made calls to specialist for appts
I truly enjoyed working here. The people are nice, the pay is great and there is a lot of room to move up in your career
Clinical Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 25, 2017
i would still work here if I did not move to another state. I learned alot. The workers very helpful and they want you to be successful. They will do what they need to do to help you succeed .
Great
Excellent learning opportunities
Good parking
Education reimbursement
Good hours and benefits
Take great care of patient s
I enjoyed working under my immediate supervisor
Nuclear Medicine Technologist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 14, 2016
The hospital was always looking to do new treatments. I also got to work in the invitro lab at times. The hospital had one of the first AIDS clinic, a bone marrow transplant unit and a liver transplant unit which we got to learn from.
Pros
small department and we were a close team
Cons
The department had a very limited budget
Work
Inventory/Cashier Clerk (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 1, 2016
Great job to work part-time in college. Ability to progress and become management is difficult but attainable. Work schedule is often times sporadic and difficult.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
you will work holidays and weekends