University of Nebraska Medical Center

University of Nebraska Medical Center Employer Reviews

I worked Labor and Delivery and it was very special each time a baby was born
Registered Staff Nurse (Former Employee), OmahaAugust 16, 2014
Pros: great getting involved with the families, best job ever
Cons: like an er, you just never knew what excitement was in store for you that 8 hours
Took care of patients in labor and assisted withl delivery or C-section.
Also took care of mom's in premature labor or high risk perinatal mom's
Fast paced excellent learning environment
Staff Secretary III (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJune 24, 2014
Super fast paced, excellent learning environment. Answered phones, made patient appointments, scheduled surgeries, patient chart transcription, patient filing.
Very interesting place to work at
Internship (Current Employee), Omaha, NEJune 19, 2014
Pros: certifications on testing and counseling for hiv/aids and certifications for std checkings
Cons: it ends august 1
I love this job, we learn many skills different days of the week that range from STDS checking or HIV/AIDS or blood pressure and blood sugar. We are even working on projects and learning more on how to meet datelines.
Productive and fun place to work.
Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJune 3, 2014
Everyone was very helpful and kind. I enjoyed each work day.
great experience
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee), Omaha, NEJune 2, 2014
Pros: great culture
Cons: difficuly work life balance
great culture. great environment . working with a bunch of motivated and very accomplished researchers. hard to balance work/life
Good workplace
Post-Doctoral Research Associate (Current Employee), Omaha, NEMay 2, 2014
Pros: state of the art facilities, well managed core facilities..
Cons: salary, career development
Good work/life balance however compensation could be more competitive. Not many options for faculty positions and upward mobility.
No comment.
MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST (Former Employee), Omaha, NEApril 27, 2014
Pros: no comment.
Cons: no comment.
On this job, this is where I learned the various language cultures. It was hard at first to understand the dialects, but as I got more into the job,it became much easier to understand the various dialects. Co-workers were very helpful when needing help understanding the different languages.
An exciting and rewarding place to work.
Unit Secretary (Former Employee), Omaha, NEFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: great learning experience, with room for advancement, good benefits
Entering doctors orders into the computer to make sure all the patients got the tests and treatment they needed. Ordering supplies for the floor, making sure the patients had all they needed and called the nurses to the room, Interacting with all other departments in the hospital. Admitting and discharging patients, making follow up appointments, ordering – more... home/discharge medications. Interacting with patients families, filing, answering phones. The hardest part of the job was dealing with some of the violence that happens, the most enjoyable part is knowing you made a difference in the care and recovery of the people you are there to help. Learned medical terminology. – less
Nice working environment
Software Analyst I and Web Developer (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJanuary 29, 2014
I was working on php web application and converting some desktop application into web.
Student, classes and lab work
Graduate Assistant/ Student (Current Employee), Omaha, NEDecember 11, 2013
I completed course work for Ph.D. and Master's track while completing experiments for my thesis and other experiments as needed by principle investigator.
Good workplace, good people
DIRECTOR OF DISTANCE EDUCATION (Current Employee), Omaha, NEDecember 4, 2013
Pros: work life balance, benefits, professional network
Cons: feels like a med center and not a traditional campus, no work from home policy
UNMC is a very good place to work. People are generally very good, talented, and dedicated.
OK Job
Graduate Student (Former Employee), Omaha, NENovember 17, 2013
UNMC tends to low ball folks as far as pay is concerned, and some management can be rude. Because it is a university people tend to stay there forever even if their productivity is rather low.
Good place to work for with great benefits.
Manager Supply, Ship/Rec'g and Furniture Stores (Former Employee), Omaha, NEAugust 1, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: warehouse environment without air conditioning.
I managed 11 employees in Shipping and Receiving, General Supply and Furniture Stores. Under each entity brought about many opportunities for learning and improving processes. With Furniture Stores I was responsible for the disposition of all surplus and campus moves. When there was a new building added to campus the coordination involved was a full – more... time job which challenged the other aspects of the position. Successful completion of projects was always rewarding. – less
Cutting technology and advanced research in disease treatment.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJuly 9, 2013
Pros: well staffed, good team environment.
Cons: had to pay to park as an employee ($30/month) low end salary
Great place.Was able to work with very bright physicians from all around the world. Good teaching environment. Very busy.
Productive high paced educational side of a teaching hospital.
Assistant to the Chairman and Dept Administrator (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJune 24, 2013
Pros: freedom to us creativity to problem solve. team atmosphere.
Cons: busy season, is very busy, though manageable.
This was position in which I moved around in the department to assist different individuals.

Management was always understanding and very willing to be flexible with the needs of employees. A team atmosphere is promoted and the group of coworkers worked cohesively to achieve common goals and complete department projects.
Great learning experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJune 4, 2013
A typical day at work consisted of interviewing subjects, entering data and organizing findings. I learned more about effective communication and improved my computer skills. The hardest part of the job was validating findings that did not match with what the subject had stated. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the positive outcomes of – more... the research trial. – less
nice place to work at
animal care tech (Former Employee), Omaha, NEMay 10, 2013
Pros: nice breaks
Cons: ok hours
had fun at work it was easy to learn the procedures to follow. coworker were very nice and friendly willing to help out. The hardest part of the Job keeping up with some detials that felt that were miner but we had to do at a time limit. enjoy the friendship that the coworkers offer.
Culture of intellectual curiosity
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Omaha, NEApril 28, 2013
As a graduate student at the University of Nebraska Medical Center, I was given several opportunities for career advancement including teaching anatomy and neuroanatomy to other graduate students while pursuing my research endeavors.
Negative, sometimes hostile work environment
Mid-Level Practitioner inpatient (Former Employee), OmahaApril 6, 2013
Pros: pay, benefits, learning growth
Cons: short staff, negative environment
Probably the most negative, and sometimes hostile work environment I have ever experienced. Management is very hands off and non responsive to concerns or complaints. Due to high census and lack of staff , often felt patient safety was an issue. It's really a shame because it could be a great place with better structure, organization, and managemen.

May 16, 2013

Im agree totally , the med Center is the same way ..If you got brown nose ,you will go far..

Outstanding teaching facilty
Phlebotomist (Former Employee), Omaha, NEFebruary 28, 2013
Pros: cafeteria unmatched, greatest food ever.
Cons: n?a
Never a dull moment at UNMC, because it was also a trauma center you got to see something new every day. Great Managers, superb coworkers everyone's a team player. A new learning experience awaits.