University of Nebraska Employee Reviews

Awesome
Staff Secretary II (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 12, 2017
My work is very rewarding and on a typical day, I would generate client/customer reports on a daily basis. My supervisor is awesome. I enjoyed coming in contact with so many clients and students over the years!
Pros
Overall great place towork
Great University
Assistant Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NESeptember 9, 2017
Fantastic program with lots of high touch interactions with a wide variety of students. Personal and intrusive advising with students on a manageable caseload. Great opportunity to use data skills and improve presentation skills.
Pros
Student Interaction
Cons
Fast Paced work environment
Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NESeptember 1, 2017
UNL is a great place to carry out education and research. Very friendly people around. Got good opportunity during my post-doctoral period to perform cutting-edge research and made important publications.
Pros
Lincoln is a great place to live, UNL good place to work
Cons
politicsare more important than work performance
Nebraska Statewide Arboretum-Financial Associate (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 23, 2017
wonderful program and people other than supervisors who are only concerned with their own job security and promote a culture where lying is an accepted behavior and anyone who tells the truth gets punished if it doesn't follow their current political goals.
They are very resistant to change even though change would increase accuracy and efficiency. Supervisors are too afraid that they may make a mistake so always prefer to stick with the status quo, even when it means the business processes are 10-20 years behind the private sector.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no performance rewards or acknowledgement-politics are too important
Student Assistant
Student Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 19, 2017
I worked for a number of years as a student assistant in the libraries at UNL. It was a good working environment and I enjoyed helping people and learning more about how libraries are organized
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No benefits
The university is changing and not for the good of an employee, many cuts are being made.
Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 6, 2017
The money is getting tighter each year, so many budget cuts, everyday something new, trying to trim the belts and the employee is taking a good part of the cuts, getting rid of position which makes more work for the other employees and no raise.
great community
Nebraska training table (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMay 8, 2017
nice place to work everyone got along just well.There are only one way to wash the dishes. That way is to wash the dishes in order to have clean dishes.
nice working culture and envirnoments
Senior PeopleSoft Administrator (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEApril 25, 2017
the university of nebraska is great place to work. the culture is nice and friendly and the benefits packages are good and affordable. great matching benefits on the 401k plan if you have previously worked for a university or schools syste,
Pros
forunate enough to be working at an campus work location so did not have to pay for parking permit.
Cons
parking permits required for on campus worksites
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEApril 22, 2017
This is a very good place to work. The management is kind and appreciate when you work hard. The coworkers are good and relate-able people, which makes it a great place to work. I would highly recommend working here.
Being involved with education was rewarding!
Omaha CIST - Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 3, 2017
My role as adjunct faculty was to teach an introduction to programming class. I have a high opinion of the ability and love imparting the art on students. I was willing to put in extra time to assist students who needed extra assistance.
Pros
Rewarding, Fulfilling
Nepotism
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEApril 3, 2017
Enjoyed the students, visitors and employees.
In my opinion most departments were micromanaged and very little recognition. Good employees do not last too long. Revolving hiring door at times.

Much nepotism shown.
Decent work environment but lacks innovation.
Student Film Maker (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEApril 2, 2017
The facilities that you are allowed to use while on campus are nice, but limited. The instructors were knowledgeable in most cases but rarely pushed us to go above and beyond the bare minimum requirements.
Just loved this GA position and the professors
GRADUATE ASSISTANT, EDUCATION DEPARTMENT (Former Employee) –  Kearney, NEMarch 26, 2017
I love learning something new and facing a challenge it is stimulating environment. I enjoy helping other so eager to learn, I feel like I want to be a memory of theirs that is a positive experience and they smile when they come across remembering how I helped them with something, it is a rewarding experience.
Pros
Earning Masters while getting hands on experience and working with students and professors.
Cons
Could not keep job after Graduation.
Quality varies from lab to lab
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NE 68104March 16, 2017
As a GRA, the job varies depending on what lab you're in and what projects that lab has. I did data analysis, paper writing, proposal writing, and programming at my job. Some weeks would be entirely data analysis where others may be entirely programming. The only hard deadlines are for conferences and journals, which also vary by field. My advisor was fantastic and supportive and I had a full lab with many peers to bounce ideas off of. Others aren't so lucky and often work alone for long periods of time.
Pros
tuition funded, work at your own pace, flexible for travel
Cons
can be lonely, support and fulfilling work not guaranteed
friendly and being around smart people
Graduate Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 9, 2017
learned to be patient, ambitious and hard worker. good environment, friendly people, learned to be able to work by your self. be around smart people that encourage you to do more.
Great work.
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 27, 2017
Very rewarding job working with the youth. We worked around the community throughout the summer making it beautiful and keeping it clean. Our youth were able to learn job skills and explore different career opportunities!
Flexible, easy and really fun part time job
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 19, 2017
It's only a part time job but can help with social and hardworking skills! My boss is very nice and loves to see hard work!!!! Recommend signing up because it's a very cool experience!!!
Productive environment.
Power Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  NebraskaFebruary 7, 2017
The UNL power plant was a new learning experience for me. Firing and operating high pressure boilers was challenging and rewarding.
I enjoyed working there.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Night shift
Great opportunity to learn and grow.
Energy Auditor (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 26, 2017
Being on the forefront of a new industry presents opportunities for learning, problem solving, and advancement. Working through the University and with partner companies in this new industry provided all the needed resources to accomplish our goal.
Good starting job
Systems Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 24, 2017
Academia is not your typical IT work environment. You will see many things that don't make sense to private sector employees. Leadership is retired in place, and makes ineffective decisions. Potential for advancement is non-existent due to the length of time that people work in academia, even on the Staff side.

It is a great place if you want to get your feet wet in IT. Hours are good, snow days are always a plus. Overall, it isn't a terrible place to begin an IT career, and will get you some of the basic skills needed to move on to a more rewarding and fulfilling career.
Pros
Nice people, good hours, good benefits
Cons
Terrible leadership, ineffective decision making from the top, "It's how we've always done it" trend.