University of Nebraska Employee Reviews

Great jobs for benefits
Dining Associate (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 13, 2016
This is for the Dining Service job, its a great place to work if you want great benefits. It's an easy place to work too, if you don't mind being on your feet for 8 hours. You'll learn how to make foods you might not have made before yourself and some foods are easy and others take some time to make. The Management is okay. It all depends which dining hall you work at and the co-workers are okay as well. Some learn to grow up and quit acting like they in Jr. HIgh. The hardest part about the job is if you can get past those certain co-workers.the most enjoyable part is making new friends with the good co-workers and knowing you made some amazing food and seeing the college students take more of what you made.
Benefits
Cons
Co-workers that act like jr. highers
Productive place
Research Technologist III (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEApril 26, 2016
This is an ideal place to work. I have been working here for more than 13 years and got my Masters degree in the process. There is room for improvement for themanagement. I enjoyed interacting with my co-workers. Good benefits.
stress Free work place
Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 29, 2015
I have been with University of Nebraska for 15 years. It is a wonderful company to work for. The job culture is really good. I am able to interact with all kinds of people.. from staff.. the office management and students. The pay isn't the greatest, but the benefits package is really good..plus I am able to go to college there for almost free. My department allows me to take classes during working hours, as long as i make up the hour to complete my 40hr.

my job is physical labor... as a groundskeeper.. mowing, rakinga.. snow removal

The most enjoyable part of the job is the people..I have made friends in all different department of UNO
Pros
go to college all most free.. i just have to pay for student fees and book
Cons
Hard to move up into different positions.. people don't leave
Imbalanced management, always changing
Manager (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEOctober 9, 2016
Personnel and management typically perform the minimum to get through each day, never miss a break, and would never make it in the private sector.
University offers a lot of opportunities.
Office Associate (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMay 27, 2016
Great place to work. Just avoid jobs that are grant funded. Great benefits. The University of Nebraska shuts down for one week between Christmas and New Years which is nice.
Pros
Recommend working at UNL
Cons
Don't apply for jobs that are grant funded
Best place to work
SENIOR FOOD ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJune 15, 2016
I worked in pizza but could do all other jobs I had a great team I worked with and the best managers to work under....My co- workers were a group of people..That enjoyed the work place...I enjoyed my job their took pride in what I did..
Pros
LIKED IT ALL
Cons
NOTHING BAD ALL GOOD
Very fast moving and active workplace
Graduate Assistant Event Management (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMarch 2, 2016
I really enjoyed working with college athletics and this was a great opportunity to dive into the athletic world. Would definitely be something I look for in the future as well.
Pros
Watch College Athletics
Welcoming Collegiate Atmosphere
English Graduate Organization President (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 26, 2016
My experience at UNO was wonderful. The departments I worked for were very welcoming and allowed me the space to stand out amongst my co-workers.
Pros
Tuition wavers
Cons
Lower pay
A Wonderful First Job
Contract Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NESeptember 17, 2013
A typical work day consists of answering student/parent/faculty questions about housing. I do this via email, phone and in-person and questions range from concerns about price to “what residence hall will fit me best.”
When I’m not working with concerned students and their parents, I spend much of my time proof-reading materials before they are sent out. We send out things such as pamphlets, contracts booklets, information guides, etc. and they have to be grammatically and factually correct, as well as visually appealing.
Finally, I process and verify newly admitted and returning student information and have created an effective filing system to keep them in order on a yearly basis.
While I love my coworkers and management team, I find that our office is over-staffed. I have repeatedly asked for more work and new projects, only to be told that there are no projects/work to give out.
I am seeking a job that is engaging and fun, but that will challenge me on a daily basis. Above all, I want to keep learning and honing my public relations, marketing and advertising skills.
Pros
Wonderful benefits, fun coworkers, positive learning environment
Cons
Office is overstaffed and there is little room for advancement.
Productive in Business and Control desk areas.
Office Assistant/Control Desk/Building Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 25, 2014
Had three different types of positions. Office worker, worked directly for the Business manager and she was a great manager and very understanding and helpful. My other positions were Control Desk Worker/Building Manager. Control desk mainly checked id's and signed individuals up for memberships. Building managers ran the building and patrolled the building every half hour to keep building counts and make sure there were no problems. Co-Workers were usually great, although some people did not want to help as much as I would have liked. Most enjoyable is meeting new people.
Pros
Job Stabilty
Cons
Low raises, too many changing rules
A terribly demoralized faculty.
Associate Professor, Philosophy (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 26, 2014
This was a difficult place to work. The politics are ubiquitous and vicious. Relative to other universities, Nebraska pays very low salaries while expecting a great deal from professors.

I did love the students. Since philosophy isn't a requirement, students "self-select" to take a philosophy course. I consistently had students who were genuinely interested in philosophy.And because students generally believe it is a difficult field, I tended to have brighter students who could question the various philosophic positions we covered. Some of the classes were really electric and fun!

The administration was a very mixed bag. Some administrators tried to prevent any change in the status quo. Luckily, my last few years there, we had a wonderful Dean who was open minded and fair. I worked closely with him and the Dean who preceded him - which taught me an enormous amount about administrative compromise (Unfortunately his superior, the new Chancellor was really not up to the challenge - she was fired shortly after I left.)
Pros
The students, the students, the students
Cons
Vicious politics
Ok
Research Assitant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMay 8, 2015
Lincoln is a great place to raise a family while going to school. The environment at UNL is not as cut-throat as some other graduate schools.
Do not expect anything from Management
Kicked dog (Former Employee) –  LincolnApril 23, 2013
Worked at this place for almost 3 decades. Loved the work, hated the backstabbing. Do not expect any support. About half the employees are either doing nothing or calling in sick. There latest little trick to screw employees is to start you off at the highest wage grade with no chance of every getting a promotion or moving ahead.
Pros
plenty of sick leave, no one cares if you use it all.
Cons
departmental management is a joke
Good Student Job
ITS Consultant (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 7, 2016
Working in the ITS department is a great opportunity. Workers are treated with respect and given considerable autonomy.
Productive and fun workplace with friendly management.
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEDecember 8, 2014
A typical day at work is fast-passed, but there is time to have fun as well. I learned a lot about cash handling and transactions, working as a team and the maintenance of the buildings. The management is great: understanding, willing to work around class schedules, they are the ones who make it a fun place to work. The full time employees come to work enthusiastic and ready to tackle the day, the student workers tend to enjoy the environment so much that they stick around for more than just one semester. The hardest part of the job is parking: you can get a pay $20 to park, or pay $40 a month or park off campus. I ride my bike. The most enjoyable part of the job is grabbing a bite to eat and relaxing together before the dining hall opens for the meal.
Pros
15 free credits from the University
Cons
Parking free nearby is out of the question.
Too Long as an Adjunct
Adjunct English Professor (Former Employee) –  Kearney, NEMay 23, 2013
I spent 11 years as an adjunct English Professor at the University of Nebraska, Kearney. I created classes, served on committees, interacted with students and faculty, but for very little compensation. The work itself was important, but there was no room for advancement.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Almost abusive use of adjuncts.
Productive work place with small food shop with unreal coins
call center (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 4, 2016
My manager is the best, he is really open and helpful with all of the call center agents.
The work place environment is very comforting and fun.
I always have a good time there.
Great
Intern (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 23, 2016
Tailored to my biochemistry interest. I learned protein purification which I used to purified a protein chain I built using solid phase peptide synthesis.
University Rec Center is great Student Job
Facility Manager (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 24, 2014
Working at the University of Nebraska Lincoln Rec Center has been the best job a student could ask for. There are many student development and promotion opportunities. Work life balance comes easy when you are able to do homework on the job.
Rewarding Work Experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 26, 2015
I am able to challenge myself everyday by learning new material and applying it to different aspects of the lab. I was able to apply the information I have learned in previous classes as well and witness them in real life, especially with PCR and DNA extraction. The management is excellent because he truly cares about his employees well-being and wants them to succeed. The most enjoyable part of this job was the feeling of satisfaction when I was able to learn something new and apply it by myself.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Nebraska. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4