University of Nevada, Reno Employee Reviews

Cooperative Extension Needs Overhaul
Educator/Instructor (Former Employee) –  UNR Cooperative ExtensionFebruary 18, 2017
- Educators need to be better supported, appreciated.
- Schools are requesting "organics" in nutrition programs and it's not offered.
- Pesticide Certification and use still heavily promoted.
- Got Cattle?
- After school program curriculum offered by Extension already visible in most classrooms.
- High turnover of part-time Educators within "put-down" culture.
- Educators reach to other national Extension websites for up-to-date source material and curriculum.
- Some managers have much different rules for themselves than subordinates.
- Other local entities and organizations have surpassed much of what the Extension offers.
Pros
Good short term experience for recent grads or current students
Cons
Low pay, high deductible health insur, full-time positions guarded
Administration is horrible as are supervisors and managers.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 1, 2016
Administration is horrible and depending which department you work in the supervisors and managers are terrible. I did not get fired from UNR I just could no longer take the lack of integrity, morles and values just to name a few!
Pros
Cons
Lacks integrity
Low pay, overwork, and you have to pay to work here
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVSeptember 6, 2016
I worked here as a graduate assistant. The pay was absolutely horrible, 1,400$ per month. You only get paid for ten months of the year however, which comes to 14,000 $ per year - and you still must pay federal taxes on this salary. Graduate students have been receiving this salary for many years. Unless you have some backup funds, it is very hard to live on this salary: paying rent, food, and life's other hardships.

You are only supposed to work 20 hours per week, but by the end of the semester you are working 30 hours per week through grading hundreds of tests and papers. Some graduate students never finish their programs and become unemployable ABDs, All But Dissertations, due to the demands of the terrible paying job.

The only good thing about this job is that you get cheap access to the university health clinic.

Once you graduate however, you are immediately fired, and then there is a Nevada state law that denies you unemployment benefits if you can't find a job. Leave it to corrupt Nevada politics that slipped that little law into the statutes.

The worst part of this job is that you still must pay as a student - even though you are teaching courses and doing major research for the university. This is a nickel and diming strategy on the graduate assistants.

Finally, as a graduate assistant you must share a dingy, small and dark office with other graduate assistants, meaning sharing dirty desks, drawers with garbage, and the one computer - with ten other badly paid assistants. This is not a fun working situation.
Pros
It was a job
Cons
Terrible pay, terrible working conditions, nickel and diming the employees
Great people to work with
Webmaster and Computer Support (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 10, 2016
I had a very good boss and was given the opportunity to learn web programming languages I've never learned before. The co-workers were happy there and we were all like a big family.
fun and easy place to work
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 11, 2016
it was really laid back and easy days; I just had to make sure the labs were usable and unlock the classrooms in the morning.
It was a really good environment.
Productive and Fast pace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVNovember 2, 2015
Productive and always engaging. Routines are different and different departments are always helpful. Wonderful academic environment.
Enriching and Fun Place to work
Graduate Research Mentor - Online (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVSeptember 6, 2015
The University of Nevada, Reno provides a great opportunity to grow as an instructor, the students are engaged in the classes and the administrative stuff are always helpful.
my co-workes where helpful
Nutrition Educator (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 20, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them; and I had the most wonderful supervisor.
UNR was wonderful place with work, with talented people
Project Manager and Researcher (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 2, 2015
This software wouldn't let me give anything other than 0 or 5 stars, and I wanted to give Job Security/Advancement something less than 5.

The biggest problem UNR had was being a state school stuck suffering from the whims of congressional politics when it came to feeding their employees and students.

Otherwise, everyone was fantastic and motivated, and my commute from a 40 acre farm to the NE was easy. Just avoid tourist crammed Virginia Ave to the south!
Pros
flexible_hours, ability_to_try_for_funding_for_anything_out_there, even_the_administrative_staff_were_extremely_helpful_including_grant_submissions_staff.
Cons
Stuck_being_government_employees_at_the_whim_of_government_funding.
Volunteering: Portuguese Tutor (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 10, 2015
I was responsible for helping other people who are learning Portuguese.
Awesome Place to work
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 14, 2014
This a great company that cares about the team. They have great benefits and will go the extra mile to make sure you are taken care of.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Productive workplace that contributes to campus well-being.
AV Technician Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 20, 2014
I worked as an AV dispatcher, so I would spend my shifts working on Excel sheets that needed to be done and answering trouble calls coming from classrooms. At the beginning of each semester I make the schedule for the AV Technicians and send it to my boss. I learned how to handle caller requests over the phone, how to create a schedule, and how to work Excel. The hardest part of my job is working with frustrated callers, but it becomes the most enjoyable part of my job when I can help them out in the end.
Pros
Zero travel because it is on campus; works with school schedule
Cons
The pay is low and I don't get many hours.
Great job opportunity
TEACHING ASSISTANT - Department of Nutrition (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 5, 2014
It was a great work environment that supported work as well as student life.
Nice place with good work culture and colleagues
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 8, 2014
This place is very calm and quiet place which is important for building better work culture. That's why I like this job and my professors here under whom I work.
Pros
Work ethics, friendliness
Good professors
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 11, 2013
I actually found that most of the professors here are very accessible and they are very helpful and fiendly.
Pros
free schedules
Cons
healthcare
Great Place to Work!
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 26, 2013
The University of Nevada, Reno (UNR) has so much to offer as far as benefits including an incredible work environment. I really enjoy all the people I work with directly and indirectly. Everyone seems receptive to new ideas and is respectful of others. I would recommend UNR to anyone looking for a career opportunity!
Pros
Retirement, Culture, Quality of Life!
I was a student at the University and I made my experience the best it could be.
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 24, 2013
The projects were always in depth and everything was documented.
Their was high encouragement to fully envelope one self in a project to assure that the most could be learned from a problem.
Not a fun place to work.
IT Professional Building Automation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 5, 2013
work day 7 - 3:30
Learned an addational building automation system
Upper management is extreamly poor
Co-workers we great
on call duty
new construction comissioning
Pros
balanced
Cons
management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Nevada, Reno. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2