University of Nevada, Reno Employee Reviews

Friendly and relaxed atmosphere
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 26, 2017
work with no supervision.
A comforting atmosphere.
get along with all coworkers and management
supplied with all of the proper equipment
friendly and relaxed atmosphere
Pros
great part time /temporary job
Unr
New Student Initiatives (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 27, 2017
While I have worked at the University of Nevada, Reno for a few years, I am looking for more benefits such as educational benefits and PTO/ sick leave.
A great place to advance your career and for work-life balance
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 9, 2017
The workplace culture at UNR is relaxed and supportive. Opportunities are abundant for collaborations with multiple departments and other schools on campus.
Access to Professional Training
Intern (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 5, 2017
I was an intern at the university. The professor in charge encouraged me to partake in a professional training offered in the school at the time. This early exposure helps me in my career.
I spent productive time
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVMay 30, 2017
I learned new skills in the area of grapevine nursery management, propagation, vine training, insect-pest management, vine nutrient management and assessing stress related response of grapevine.
Good
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMay 27, 2017
Having just started at Indeed about a month ago, I can only say great things so far. Everyone has been so welcoming and it's truly a fun, laid back work environment where everyone seems genuinely happy to be coming to work everyday. The atmosphere is extremely open and collaborative with open workspaces and no offices, however, there are plenty of comfortable more isolated spots to hang out if you need to get away and concentrate on something. The food is ridiculous, people are happy and the office is situated in probably the most gorgeous area of Austin. So far, nothing not to love!
Productive and laid back
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMay 18, 2017
Relaxed environment, management is biased occasionally, lenient with time off for school. Job tasks are usually menial and time consuming, never a shortage of things to do.
Great place for entry level
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVMay 5, 2017
Learned from professors and graduate students on basics of lab work. Everyone is friendly and professional making it that much easier to get the basic skills needed to move on to other jobs.
Undergrad Teaching Assistant
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 12, 2017
Working for UNR was great, although I was technically doing it for credit I still learned a great much about teaching and what a great culture there is at the school.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 7, 2017
University of Nevada Reno is a nice place to work on. I really love my job here. Opportunities to work at UNR is much limited but the people working here are very helpful.
Fine for me
Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 4, 2017
I didn't work here, per say, but I know that any sort of outside research/work with professors is super beneficial. Always take the chance to work with them.
Not good
Domestic Violence Therapist (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 3, 2017
I did not like this place. The town is too small and the people here are pretty malicious. I experienced harassment in my program and my mentors were not very supportive of me.
Cooperative Extension Needs Overhaul
Educator/Instructor (Former Employee) –  UNR Cooperative ExtensionFebruary 18, 2017
- Educators need to be better supported, appreciated.
- Schools are requesting "organics" in nutrition programs and it's not offered.
- Pesticide Certification and use still heavily promoted.
- Got Cattle?
- After school program curriculum offered by Extension already visible in most classrooms.
- High turnover of part-time Educators within "put-down" culture.
- Educators reach to other national Extension websites for up-to-date source material and curriculum.
- Some managers have much different rules for themselves than subordinates.
- Other local entities and organizations have surpassed much of what the Extension offers.
Pros
Good short term experience for recent grads or current students
Cons
Low pay, high deductible health insur, full-time positions guarded
Unr
University of Nevada, Reno (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 13, 2016
Good work environment. Managers and Supervisors really care about students and it is a comfortable place to work at. University really care for their students.
Administration is horrible as are supervisors and managers.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 1, 2016
Administration is horrible and depending which department you work in the supervisors and managers are terrible. I did not get fired from UNR I just could no longer take the lack of integrity, morles and values just to name a few!
Pros
Cons
Lacks integrity
Low pay, overwork, and you have to pay to work here
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVSeptember 6, 2016
I worked here as a graduate assistant. The pay was absolutely horrible, 1,400$ per month. You only get paid for ten months of the year however, which comes to 14,000 $ per year - and you still must pay federal taxes on this salary. Graduate students have been receiving this salary for many years. Unless you have some backup funds, it is very hard to live on this salary: paying rent, food, and life's other hardships.

You are only supposed to work 20 hours per week, but by the end of the semester you are working 30 hours per week through grading hundreds of tests and papers. Some graduate students never finish their programs and become unemployable ABDs, All But Dissertations, due to the demands of the terrible paying job.

The only good thing about this job is that you get cheap access to the university health clinic.

Once you graduate however, you are immediately fired, and then there is a Nevada state law that denies you unemployment benefits if you can't find a job. Leave it to corrupt Nevada politics that slipped that little law into the statutes.

The worst part of this job is that you still must pay as a student - even though you are teaching courses and doing major research for the university. This is a nickel and diming strategy on the graduate assistants.

Finally, as a graduate assistant you must share a dingy, small and dark office with other graduate assistants, meaning sharing dirty desks, drawers with garbage, and the one computer - with ten other badly paid assistants. This is not a fun working situation.
Pros
It was a job
Cons
Terrible pay, terrible working conditions, nickel and diming the employees
Great people to work with
Webmaster and Computer Support (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 10, 2016
I had a very good boss and was given the opportunity to learn web programming languages I've never learned before. The co-workers were happy there and we were all like a big family.
fun and easy place to work
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 11, 2016
it was really laid back and easy days; I just had to make sure the labs were usable and unlock the classrooms in the morning.
It was a really good environment.
Productive and Fast pace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVNovember 2, 2015
Productive and always engaging. Routines are different and different departments are always helpful. Wonderful academic environment.
Enriching and Fun Place to work
Graduate Research Mentor - Online (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVSeptember 6, 2015
The University of Nevada, Reno provides a great opportunity to grow as an instructor, the students are engaged in the classes and the administrative stuff are always helpful.