University of New Hampshire Employee Reviews

Flexible schedule with school
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Durham, NHFebruary 22, 2017
Great place to work to gain experience in the lab. Introduced to many new things including UV, DOC, and turbidity readings. Everyone in the lab is very nice and fun to work with.
Dietetic Internship
Dietetic Intern (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHFebruary 16, 2017
I was an intern here, so the compensation was not part of the program. The internship is well structured, and well run. The preceptors I had were all fantastic. I was able to experience all different areas of nutrition to help me explore the field.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Long work hours at times
Good place to learn about potential career fields and have a chance to work in them.
Field Technician - Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHFebruary 10, 2017
Typical day at work involved running samples through various machinery after collecting it from field sites. There was a lot of traveling and improvisation required, never a dull moment.
The hardest part of the job and the most enjoyable are one in the same, the environment is always changing and requires you to adapt as well as gives you the opportunity to try new things on a regular basis.
Pros
Relatively stress free environment, decent benefits/pay and fair treatment of employees.
Cons
Long days of field work in less than ideal weather conditions.
Great experience opportunity
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHFebruary 8, 2017
Greatly enjoyed my time as a TA and was able to gain valuable experience. I wish more students came to my office hours for help, so that I could teach them and myself. The hours worked great with my schedule and the department was very accommodating.
Pros
College credits, experience
Cons
No pay, Students rarely come to office hours
Graduate student work/life balance is tough
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHFebruary 8, 2017
As a graduate student, the best part of the job is the enrichment acquired through classes and eventually the research one works on within our fields of study. Being a graduate student itself is difficult when trying to balance life outside of work. However difficult the journey, it is worth the experience in the end.
Pros
Beautiful campus
Cons
High fees, healthcare
Professional and rewarding workplace
Bus Route Driver and Bus Driver Trainer (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHFebruary 6, 2017
I was a line bus driver and I trained new drivers. I had great supervisors who were conscientious hardworking, and supportive. I enjoyed working with the college students and safely transporting them.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Great campus atmosphere
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHJanuary 22, 2017
UNH is a wonderful campus with many opportunities. New Hampshire has a lot to offer and candidates should really take a look at the Durham campus
Productive fun work environment.
Grounds Crew (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHJanuary 11, 2017
I would suggest this job to anyone willing to work outside all day. This job entails treating the turf fields before home games. Employees work well together.
comfortable to live but not productive
Post-doctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Durham, NHJanuary 3, 2017
Here are many nice people, but the environment is less productive than industry. Many students and faculty members are just confined in their small circle. Few people actively connect to others, or collaborate to work
UNH is great, but resource starved
Lab Manager (Current Employee) –  Durham, NHDecember 18, 2016
If you doubled state support for UNH tomorrow it would still be the least state supported university in the nation, by a lot. This often translates into job insecurity, and all the challenges associated with running on a shoestring budget.

Strong emphasis on work life balance is strong, but this can sometimes translate into working with less dedicated teammates.

Great leadership, from faculty all the up the administration.
Fairly relaxed and interesting work environment
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHDecember 16, 2016
Working as a Graduate Assistant there is no typical day really, although there are many typical tasks. Mostly I dealt with preparing, proctoring and grading tests as well as some grading of blogs and other minor assignments. Besides doing this work for the students, there was also plenty of research the professors needed doing as well. Thus this job was good opportunity to learn how to multi-task and handle several different kinds of work assignments. Some semesters I was working for 4 different professors, each of whom had fairly different needs and tasks for me. Dealing with students was also very important, in terms of respecting their privacy but also providing them with the right amount of help and support. I was fortunate enough to get in the classroom somewhat to help one of my professors. Overall it was a very good job and helped me improve a variety of skills, especially related to using Microsoft Office and other computer programs/online resources.
I was a "student employee" working part-time but it worked for me.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHDecember 12, 2016
I worked for the chemistry department, setting up for the chemistry lab classes. I also worked as a teaching assistant. As such, this review is for STUDENT positions rather than full time faculty or staff.

Flexible hours, works around your class schedule.
Management is pretty good within the department but if you ever have to go between departments or upward from department level to college level there may be some complications.

Learn while you earn, or earn while you learn, or whatever.
Pros
flexible part-time schedule, managers are there to help and train you, work alongside faculty on interesting projects
Cons
no insurance for part-time, must be re-hired each semester, low pay
Lab work is difficult
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHOctober 10, 2016
Professors are very hard working and expect a lot from their students.

Sometimes work is needed to be done all night long, sometimes up to 72 hours straight before grant proposals.

Free Coffee.
Productive fun work place with perks.
Barn Staff (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHOctober 3, 2016
a day at work would be like any other typical day at a barn. Horse go out, stalls get done, give out lunch hay, later horses come in, and fed. Hard part about the job was the poorly plowed walk ways during the winter, the ice build up would make it nearly impossible to get horses out safely. This would make it very hard, especially when there are only 2 people working and having to take care of 50+ horses.
Good working place with very nice and helpful people.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durham, NHAugust 23, 2016
Very good working place in a quiet town.
People around are all very nice and helpful.
We usually have free pizza.
We have free working environment, the time is very flexible.
Enjoyable
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHAugust 20, 2016
Work was fast paced. I enjoyed employees that I came in contact with. Management had problems keeping enough staff. Co workers were all pretty easy to work with. Hardest part of job was keeping enough employees to accomplish all duties. I really enjoyed working at the campus
Pros
Periodic increase in wage
Cons
Understaffed
College Student
Group Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHJuly 27, 2016
Started as a Group Fitness Instructor

My senior year I worked as a Fitness Programming Assistant.

Instructed fitness classes for patrons and students.
Pros
Gained a lot of experience about the industry and had experience working for an institution
Cons
N/A
Dining Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHMarch 13, 2016
Loved working there while in school. Fun and always something to learn without the hassle or stress of school on your mind.
Alumni hate their Alma Mater
Phonathon Caller (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHJanuary 3, 2016
You would think that if college was the greatest time of your life, you would be thrilled to hear from them. This is not the case. Although I learned several key skills through the Phonathon, the management was sub par and the alumni were just downright rude to me.
Pros
Communication skills
Cons
Worst job I ever had
A very personal environment
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHDecember 13, 2015
This was an excellent position for the summer. I was able to set up my own experiment, collect the necessary data, analyze it, and then compile it. Every obstacle I came up against I had to personally overcome, with some help from my professor. I had no-coworkers, which certainly made things more difficult, but forced me to think in different ways.
Pros
I could work at my own pace. Flexible hours
Cons
No benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of New Hampshire. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3