University of New Hampshire Employee Reviews in United States

Typical Adjunct Experience
adjunct faculty (Current Employee) –  Durham, NHNovember 1, 2015
UNH offers a typical experience for adjunct professors; a modest work space (usually a tiny office shared with another adjunct, though the ladies in the department office do their best to pair professors with opposite schedules so two are never in the space at the same time), a reasonable course load (usually one or two sections of a class), and the English department does their best to meet the scheduling needs of adjuncts. That being said, there is -typically- zero job security, no benefits (beyond access to the UNH library), and negligible professional support.

Bottom line; UNH is not a bad place to be an adjunct, but only because there is typically no good place to be one.
Pros
Access to the UNH library; the English department is generally friendly
Cons
No benefits, minimal pay, no professional support
A very personal environment
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHDecember 13, 2015
This was an excellent position for the summer. I was able to set up my own experiment, collect the necessary data, analyze it, and then compile it. Every obstacle I came up against I had to personally overcome, with some help from my professor. I had no-coworkers, which certainly made things more difficult, but forced me to think in different ways.
Pros
I could work at my own pace. Flexible hours
Cons
No benefits
Enjoyable
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHAugust 20, 2016
Work was fast paced. I enjoyed employees that I came in contact with. Management had problems keeping enough staff. Co workers were all pretty easy to work with. Hardest part of job was keeping enough employees to accomplish all duties. I really enjoyed working at the campus
Pros
Periodic increase in wage
Cons
Understaffed
College Student
Group Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHJuly 27, 2016
Started as a Group Fitness Instructor

My senior year I worked as a Fitness Programming Assistant.

Instructed fitness classes for patrons and students.
Pros
Gained a lot of experience about the industry and had experience working for an institution
Cons
N/A
Good working place with very nice and helpful people.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durham, NHAugust 23, 2016
Very good working place in a quiet town.
People around are all very nice and helpful.
We usually have free pizza.
We have free working environment, the time is very flexible.
Educational Environment advancement opportunity
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHJune 28, 2015
Ability to make a positive difference in a students life as a freshman away from home living on their own for the first time.

Meeting people from many cultures.
Pros
Great benefits.
Alumni hate their Alma Mater
Phonathon Caller (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHJanuary 3, 2016
You would think that if college was the greatest time of your life, you would be thrilled to hear from them. This is not the case. Although I learned several key skills through the Phonathon, the management was sub par and the alumni were just downright rude to me.
Pros
Communication skills
Cons
Worst job I ever had
Relaxed yet responsible work culture
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Durham, NHOctober 21, 2015
Working at UNH is amazing. I get paid well, I get to enjoy the beautiful campus. The management is amazing, they don't micro-manage and give you the room to experiment with your style of working.

The best thing I loved working here as a student is that they realize we are students and we have responsibilities towards our classes. Due to this reason they ask when we'll be able to work, where we'll be able to contribute and how will we be doing it.

Definitely the best place I have worked yet.
Pros
Health Insurance, Tuition Fee Waiver, Relaxed environment
Dining Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHMarch 13, 2016
Loved working there while in school. Fun and always something to learn without the hassle or stress of school on your mind.
Friendly Environment
Academic/Student Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durham, NHJanuary 3, 2015
Employees are friendly; benefits are great. Balance between work and personal life is great. Very flexible. Great environment for learning and advancing. I appreciated the tuition benefit.

Want to know more about University of New Hampshire?

Ask a question
Great place to work.
Interim Dean (Current Employee) –  Durham, NHFebruary 28, 2015
Leading great people and advancing talented students at the Paul College is great honor. A great place to work. I would recommend work there.
benefits
Cons
long time to get things done.
University of New Hampshire
Houekeeper (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHAugust 25, 2015
While working at UNH it never felt like a day of work to me. I loved my job, because all of the people I worked with loved their job as well. We had breaks at the same time every day and we all still stayed at the break room. Our boss was understanding when we had issues going on, and would make sure to check on us. There was always someone to help you if you didn't understand how to work a machine yet, and that made the workplace much more enjoyable.
Pros
I wasn't always being checked on. They trusted me to complete my job, and that I could handle the job on my own.
Cons
There are always students in the dorms.
Reception to the Dean
Dean's office assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHMay 18, 2015
A typical day being a receptionist to the dean of the University of New Hampshire at Manchester would be to arrive and take down any messages left, answer the phone and transfer calls as needed, provide assistance where available , and to run the mail through the machine for outgoing pickup. I learned more about my school and the employees there due to transferring calls. The management was not great as the manager of the job position was not available easily. I rarely ever saw other co-workers as we worked opposite shifts. The hardest part of the job was maintaining a multi-line phone during busy times like admission or registration time. The most enjoyable part of the job was to help people find where they need to go or who they need to talk to.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
poor management
fun people to work with
Cook one (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHJanuary 15, 2014
great place to work
fast paced
great group of people to work with
must be willing to work hard in very fast paced environment
Pros
free meals, great benefits
Great Space Physics Program
Intern, Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHAugust 21, 2015
My time working in UNH was limited to the summer of 2012 where I worked alongside Ph.D candidates on developing an organization algorithm. I lead a team of undergrads to develop a sorting algorithm for large data sets from satellites on magnetic events from the sun.
I cannot comment heavily on the work environment because I only spent about three months there, but I enjoyed the camaraderie and beautiful campus.
Pros
Facilities, co-workers
Cons
Far from the city
Rewarding job but not a place to share opinions- very biased
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHOctober 11, 2015
Great way to make new friendships and build leadership skills. Prepare to have ideas and opinions forced upon you. It is difficult to share your own opinion on certain social topics. They are very biased. Residents make the job fun and exciting.
Overall it is good.
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Durham, NHMarch 20, 2012
University of New Hampshire is a very good university but the salary is not very nice.
Productive work place in a close-knit community
Assistant Director of Athletic Communications (Current Employee) –  Durham, NHJuly 17, 2015
Enjoyable work place with supportive management for an entry-level position. The pace is demanding, but allowed individuals to grow and develop over time.
Every Day was an Adventure
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHJune 24, 2015
During the college school year every day was the same with the same agenda. During vacations everything was different some days we would be cleaning others were for waxing floors.The issue is some people were able to get away with doing less than others and were never reprimanded. Supervisors, some were fair others not so much. I loved working my overnights with my group because it was easier to get along.
Pros
straight forward job
Cons
hours
Housing and Residential Life
Residence Hall Director- Januray2015 (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHJuly 4, 2015
Very poor and outdated management style. Very close minded organization. They definitely think they know best and see no value in looking into what other trends are happening in higher education.

4.3