University of New Mexico Employee Reviews

Excellent environment for desktop support
Student Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 13, 2017
At The University of New Mexico, over a four year period, I was the only desktop support technician in the Sociology department. The department had archaic computers and operating systems and I bought new systems and installed them for each professor in the department. I then rehashed the computer lab with new computers and new systems. Then, I moved on to the Institute for Social Research and was assisting the research team there with I.T. related issues as well as network administration over a Linux Server. Finally, I worked at the College of Nursing as a Desktop Support Technician, assisting the nursing teachers and trainers with computer related issues on a daily basis.
Pros
Calm
Cons
Not Enough Hours
Review: Working for UNMPD Student Patrol
Student Patrol (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 7, 2017
The university of New Mexico Police Department offers a great work environment for student patrol positions. This position requires much will power to wake up three to four times at 5 am to open campus in the morning which only few can do and can continue to do it with great consistency. There are also late evenings that students are required to work until about 10pm or 11pm closing and patrolling campus. Overall the position was rewarding and challenging, there was always a new situation to encounter and problem solve effectively. The only downside, is the pay is not equal to the type of work that is required of the student patrol and not only should student patrol be compensated more, but also the university security as well.
Pros
On campus and great atmosphere to work in
Cons
not paid enough
University of New Mexico
Accountant II (Former Employee) –  Gallup, NMAugust 1, 2017
Overall, most campuses are diverse with plenty of educational and professional opportunities available for professional growth. Great benefits offered.
My personal growth in mental health was formed through this organization.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 31, 2017
A typical day at work was very busy learning and teaching.
Much was learned about management and interaction with employees, there is a close interaction with management at all times. My nurse manager did weekly rounding and had an open door policy. The hardest part of the job was availability of additional security personnel and the communication and cooperation of the local police department. The most enjoyable part of my job was the team work and professionalism of our units with ur tough population.
Pros
I learned so much, made so many friends and professional relationships. Continuously inhanced my personal growth.
Cons
Was unable to be titled officially as House Supervisor.
Good place for undergraduate research
Undergraduate Researcher, Department of Biology (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 24, 2017
A good place for undergraduate driven research with a strong sense of community amongst staff. I really loved my time there as an undergraduate researcher.
excellent and flexible
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 24, 2017
Perfect job for a busy yet flexible student with workstudy. It's a good position for those willing to put in the effort and time to move up. This job is all about developing skills that can be used later in life.
Relaxed
Building Monitor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 12, 2017
The job worked well with a school lifestyle. It really helped with advancement especially if you were attending the school itself while working there.
Poor Leadership
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 7, 2017
Leadership is poor at UNM and this results in continued level of poor employee satisfaction.
Benefits keep increase but there are no pay increases, departments are forced to layoff people will administration gives pay grade jumps and large pay raises.
Laid back
Audio Visual Technician (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 5, 2017
It was easy and often had time to do homework while on the clock which is the point of student employment. That said required a good deal of interacting with the public which at some points could be stress full.
excellent program
Spanish Teacher (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 27, 2017
great assistantship opportunity
meet new people and the university life on UNM
MLA program is excellent, with great faculty members and staff.
The Spanish department and the School of Architecture and Planning gave me the opportunity to have an assistantship.
Busy campus lots of interaction between groups
Fiscal Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 13, 2017
I work with a great group of people. We work hard, but never forget how to enjoy ourselves. Our manager is engaging and listens to concerns and feedback.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Low pay rate
Love this University
UNM dancer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 12, 2017
I loved being a student Athlete at UNM, especially on the dance team. They include cheer and dance in athletics which is not common, but really awesome. Being a student athlete at the college levels taught me discipline and time management.
Productive and fun workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 3, 2017
Everything I know up to now I owe it to UNM.I really like the way they teach the students how to be teachers of language and the most important is to include the culture of the different countries and the different ways of using the language of Spanish.
Pros
Fun classes
Cons
Teach and study
Excellent Culture, Sub-Par Pay
Analyst Programmer 2 (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 2, 2017
This is a great environment for work/life balance and job culture. Additionally, I have met some great people over the course of my tenure here. The pay, however, is something that is lacking at UNM -- on average you are paid about 20% less than your peers on the open market. Additionally, there is always the threat of politics interfering with your work. The governor and the regents battle frequently over the budget, and it creates doubt and uncertainty in the work force.
Teaching assistants have it rough
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 1, 2017
As a TA, I helped the professors:
Craft the curriculum,
Create, test, debug and administer laboratory sessions,
Grade student work, and
Hold office hours, mostly to explain to said students how I know they cheated on their homework.

Only 15 hours were paid for this position each week.
The professors are great, but they're just as overworked as the TAs are.

The UNM administrators are horrible, and they treat the school as a business which sells pieces of paper, at a very high markup.

Teaching is rewarding, when the students have questions that I am able to help them understand.

Teaching is horribly frustrating when students copy multiple paragraph answers, word for word, from the teacher's manual, then swear up and down that they never did such a thing. There is a lot of cheating going on, too.
Pros
Free tuition, office
Cons
Cheating students, way too much work for the hours allocated
ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT SUPERVISOR/TRANSCRIPTION (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 31, 2017
I enjoyed this job very much! There was a lot of team work and flexibility in job performance. Manger encouraged innovation. He was open to ideas and allowed implementation of suggestions where improved protocols were concerned.
Great while in school.
Student Work Study (Former Employee) –  Los Lunas, NMMay 30, 2017
Liked working for my boss, even though was student work study. Nice crew to work with as well. Easy to do and works around your schedule, any yet hard to remember to go to class when busy.
Pros
works with your schedule of classes
Cons
sometimes hard to leave to go to class because you're busy
Excellence in Education regardless your field of study
Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  University of New Mexico Health Sciences CenterMay 26, 2017
Excellence in Education and workplace. Students and Staff are wonderfully diverse. Personal political views were not topic of discussion by professors. Students were there to learn their field of study to be employable after graduation.
There are many resources for those who needed help in learning how to learn to enhance their opportunities to graduate. There are many ethnic study centers to facilitate education and personal growth in the university environment. UNM Student Health Center is dedicated to study healthcare and psychological, and addiction issues to facilitate successful education outcomes.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
contract work
Training & Development Consultant (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 22, 2017
I love working for the University of New Mexico. My job is term employee and rely on state contracts. This year the state did not renew their contract in July because of their new RFP. I would like to work for UNM as a permanent employee. I got my BS in Albuquerque and Masters via online at NMSU through tuition remission through UNM. I am a long time New Mexican. I want to stay in the state and give back to my community.
Pros
I get to use remission tuition
Cons
UNM needs to have higher wages for employees
Good area to work
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 18, 2017
UNM is a nice area to work.I enjoyed a lot being at the university of new mexico. I like the weather and environment hear at the university of new mexico.
Pros
people, cheap, nice weather
Cons
culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of New Mexico. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2