University of New Mexico

University of New Mexico Employee Reviews

Great Place to work
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 10, 2016
I worked as a graduate research assistant. My hours were flexible and I was able to work when I wanted to. I spent most of my time in the lab or my office working on experiments, background research or writing papers. My advisor was flexible and allowed me the freedom I needed to be productive working. My coworkers were great to work with.
Pros
Health Insurance, flexible schedule
Cons
No Dentel or eye insurance coverage
Working Off-site
Manager Enrollment Services (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 24, 2016
Unless you are physically located on the main campus, you must be willing to work independently, with the desire to learn and establish workable practices. Must be a self-starter, and be able to ask for support and assistance when needed.
Pros
Good tuition remission benefits
Cons
If at a remote site, be ready to work independently.
College Bound students
Peer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Gallup, NMJuly 19, 2016
Working with college bound students with enrollment and orientations.

Working with scheduling classes and required classes to meet degree audits.

Meeting new students and co-workers.

Hardest part was organizations of others.

Enjoyable was working with everyone.
Pros
Staying on campus
Cons
unscheduled visits
Positive Work Environment
Clinical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 11, 2016
UNM likes to see people succeed. As employees, we are still part of the learning experience and encourage each other to do our best.
It was great
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 11, 2016
I really enjoyed working with a diverse group of students. My boss was very lenient and my co-workers were very friendly.
good place to work
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 7, 2016
I am a graduate student in chemistry.
The department is small, so I get to know almost everyone from students to staffs.
I work 8-10 h a day.
A college worth travelling to
Researcher - McNair Scholar (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 29, 2016
It was a pleasure to be a part of the University of New Mexico. Our nations number 1 research school with a Hispanic majority, producing scholars that can compete with their international peers.
Pros
Small campus, friendly staff, easy commute
Cons
Disassociated from the immediate local populace, doesn't do enough for the surrounding community
Great place to work as a student employee
Advanced Level Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 9, 2016
The University of New Mexico allows its students to apply to positions of their interest in the various departments associated with UNM. When hired as a "student employee" you will be guaranteed a supervisor that understands that your #1 interest is school and will accommodate your needs.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Multi cultural campus
Assisitant Professor of Violin and Chamber Music (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 1, 2016
Multi-cultural campus
Good overall music department
Administrative support
Inter arts collaborations
Strong opera program
Vibrant community
Proximity with Santa Fe Opera
Productive workplace and fitness/office setting
Internship at Johnson Gym (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 27, 2016
I would have conversations with other trainers on matters of fitness and exercise. I learned a lot about periodization and proper programming depending on a client's fitness goals. I taught a circuit training class several times. The small space and group of people (15 on average) allowed for creative circuit workouts for the class. I would monitor the weight and cardio rooms. And I also shadowed several of the other trainers during classes and while they were training a client. This helped me learn different training/coaching approaches as well as workout designs/layout. The management was fair and the manager was easy to get along with and approachable. My co-workers were very friendly and outgoing. The hardest part of the job was getting out of my comfort zone to meet new people. However, this was also the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
My schedule was very easy.
Cons
I wasn't paid for this internship.
Good benefits, open to flexible schedule for workers
Clinical Department Administrator I (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 12, 2016
As a generalist Administrator, I have to wear many hats and be competent in many areas. UNM allows and supported this and provided a good work environment for work.
Enjoy helping out and providing a service but not the low pay
NSITE Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 9, 2016
Feel like student employees are expendable. Not well payed and we can't work over 30 hours a week so we don't have benefits and it's difficult to pay bills.
Really amazing place to work.
Work Study Student (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 27, 2016
Flexible schedules available for students. Really fun work environment. Most enjoyable part of my job was the atmosphere and helping put on events that would benefit the students at the university.
Pros
Free food and events almost every week.
It was a great place to work
Contracted Worker (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NM 87107April 26, 2016
My time at the University of New Mexico was great. The typical work day varied on the tasks I was required to perform on any given day. The management was great. The co-workers were good and very hard working. The hardest part of the job was probably the different tasks I was asked to perform, such as going from organizing folders and shredding documents to working an information booth at a job fair. I would have to say the most enjoyable part of my job was the people I got to work with.
Pros
short breaks
Cons
no cons
Horrible
Multiple (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 7, 2016
Horrible staff, uncomfortable working environment, and constant walking on egg shells every time a high ranking individual walks in the door, and this is in more than one department. There is absolutely no job security and there are NO raises.
Great place to work, but has some downsides
Recruitment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Admissions OfficeApril 5, 2016
The University as a whole isn't very cohesive. Organizations are very independent from one another and from my experiences it adds to a lot of the problems that students face. Other than that, the university provides it's employees with decent benefits (including free credits for courses), and plentiful sick/annual leave. If you are competent and enjoy the idea of working in higher education then the positions have a lot to offer. There probably won't be any raises in salaries in the next year, and due to the hiring freeze people should prepare to see less jobs posted. Managers are either 50/50 for those who have a passion in helping students and those who are focused on running the institution strictly like a business.
Fun and entertaining place to work
Event Staff Supervisor/Pole Vault Official (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 1, 2016
As an on call position this is a really fun job. The ability to see the future athletes go into the professional world is awesome.
Super fun job
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 29, 2016
I enjoyed the training and opportunity that UNM gave me. The flexible hours and great compensation package was great. I would of never left but a opportunity came up to return to Honeywell.
Stable but monotnous and gets very stressfull at times
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 10, 2016
It pays for your tuition, medical insurance and a salary of $1400 per month for Master's students. But they work you much more than that. Still a respectable option for debt free studies
Educational focused
Bariatric Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NMMarch 8, 2016
University of New Mexico Hospitals is focused on training and advancing those in the healthcare industry. They have great programs for those who are entry level and provide advancement opportunities.

4.2