University of New Mexico

University of New Mexico United States Employee Reviews

Human Tissue Research Lab
Superintendent (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Great team work at this site always wiling to help out
Cons: none
I help remodel a lab at the University of New Mexico. It was a great site to work for. It was a challenge to fit some of the lab equipment in its place but I came up with a little mods it all fit
staff is treated poorly
Lab Animal Technician (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMMarch 21, 2015
do not work here unless you want to be compensated poorly. low pay for staff. Evil administration hates employees does not want employees to have a comfortable salary
Instructor and researcher
Instructor (Former Employee), Departments of anthropology and statisticsFebruary 25, 2015
Strong research and statistical skills. PHD in anthropology and masters in statistics.

Taught more than 30 classes at UNM where I was the instructor on record.
Cool Place to work while studying!
Student Technical Specialist (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMFebruary 19, 2015
Less Pressure, wonderful atmosphere, ability to learn gradually with studies. Co-workers are friendly, supporting and helpful. UNM provides a wonderful workplace, however it depends on the department and the staff around you!
Place to learn and explore
WEB DEVELOPER (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMFebruary 16, 2015
Pleasant work environment with many helpful hands around.
Stress free work, enabling every one to learn and explore new things.
Knowledge Transfer
Computer Programmer (Former Employee), AlbuquerqueFebruary 11, 2015
Knowledge transfer session had helped me learn lot of things,right from getting to know about the project as well how to go well in a team,problem solving strategies,sharing your ideas and getting a feedback on them.knowing your mistakes and ways to overcome them.
Custodian
Custodian (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMFebruary 5, 2015
I enjoyed the opportunity I was given to work for UNM. It was humbling to work in this department, considering I had not planned on being in this position for as long as I did.
Fun place to work at, great environment too
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMFebruary 1, 2015
I did my exchange program here in 2010. It has a great Electromagnetics research lab. Very helpful advisor and co-workers.
Great environment to work in
International Programs Coordinator (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMJanuary 23, 2015
Every day activities involved planning for the incoming group from Mexico to Albuquerque. Everything from negotiating the cost of hotel, transportation, recreational activities, food to expediting offer letters to present at USA Embassy for their student visas.
Able to learn lots at this teaching hospital
Supervisor Central Processing and Phlebotomy (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: great learning environment
Cons: stressful environment- technology equipment poor
I learn so much with all of the ancillary services at this company. The company was very good to the employees.
Great p
Library Assistant (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMJanuary 17, 2015
great place! Fun environment and great management. Even when there are tough patrons at the desk there is always a helping hand just around the corner.
One of the best places for doing research
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMJanuary 17, 2015
Good opportunities for collaborating with other departments. Good quality students in the biggest city of New Mexico. Close to AFRL and National Labs.
Good environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMJanuary 6, 2015
Served on research team and participated in laboratory bench studies; duties included, inquisition and analysis of information, planning experiments, execution of test methods, and adherence to ethical research practices and protocols.
Teaching environment
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), School of Public AdministrationNovember 21, 2014
This position helped me to advance my knowledge of research techniques. I have learned how to research a variety of topics, prepare materials to teach classes, maintain a web-based learning environment, and submit materials for publication in peer-reviewed journals. The management were extremely helpful in preparing me for a position outside of the university and encouraged me to set goals for myself that I never considered. The hardest part of the job was living on a low wage and only working 10 hours per week. I enjoyed learning the process of researching a variety of topics and preparing them for publication.
Nice place to work
Professor of Mathematics (Current Employee), Gallup, NMNovember 3, 2014
Diversity of students and talents.
Many native Americans study and teach at UNM.
Never a dull moment
PROGRAM MANAGER (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMNovember 3, 2014
Pros: always busy
Analysis of business workflows for the Human Resources department including workflows, compensation, benefits, recruiting and labor analysis.
Awesome place!
Lead Technical Specialist (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NM 87105October 23, 2014
Pros: awesome job
Cons: only one, and that's approval times
If you can deal with bureaucratic systems then this is the place for you! I loved working here, super laid back, hardly worked late, and was easy to take time off.
Challenging environment, constant tasks that required deep analysis.
IT/Network Administrator (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMOctober 20, 2014
Student position but very challenging. Maintained a campus wide VPN network for utilities department.
T. A. teaching position
T.A. (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMOctober 8, 2014
Pros: free courses toward ma.
Cons: low pay. no method or structured instruction on how to properly teach or design related materials.
My personal belief is that T.A. positions are extremely underpaid, as Universities heavily rely on T.A.s to teach the majority of undergraduate courses without paying them properly. Our department was limited to 2 Phds and 1 lecturer (who happened to be a Phd), all other courses were taught by 6 T.A.s at approximately $ 1,300 a month, which is not nearly enough for an average adult student to survive on, especially not if they have family. The Universities justify this low pay by the fact that you get to study the program for free, and they require you to only be a T.A. while you teach. They have lost touch with all of reality and in practice are just interested in providing cheap labor for understaffed departments. they get 6 T.As and are paying maybe for the equivalent of one Phd (or 1.5).
As a T.A. there are some things that are valuable, but you are basically doing everything for the school with no proper training to be a teacher, it is all add hoc. Even lesson planning (which is crucial to learning) is not taught in a course; it is mentioned and covered during orientation for an hour if you are lucky. You get to design all lesson plans, assignments, exam, etc. despite the fact that you really aren't trained or qualified to do so.

If you live with roommates, have no financial obligations to speak of and just want to get your masters without paying for it, than a T.A ship might be great for you. If you need it as a job DON"T go that route. You will be swamped by work, grading, designing, studying, testing all kinds of other related stuff, without true instruction and very little time left to do anything else.
Great teaching hospital
Certified Cardiovascular Technician- CCT (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMOctober 2, 2014
Pros: great experience
Cons: im partime
I learned a lot about the heart while working at UNMH Heart Station, Being a teaching hospital, I have been able to witness and participate in all cardiac tests and procedures. A typical day consists of heart monitors and nuclear stress tests in the morning, and in the afternoon are regular treadmills and stress echos. When I worked at Westside Cardiology with ABQ Health Partners, I ran my own clinic while having a device clinic on certain days.

1 2 3 4 5