University of New Orleans Employee Reviews

great
Freshman Writing Instructor (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAAugust 5, 2015
great people, great school, learned a lot about teaching writing, talking with people in your own field and interests. It was one of the best school and working environments I have ever been in.
Management Issues
Manager of Financial Reporting and General Acct. (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAJuly 16, 2015
Poor working enviroment. No cohesive thought in the strategic planning or day to day operations. Management ruled by fear.
adjunct Professor at UNO. I taught Medical Terminology ICD-9
Instructor (Former Employee), salelitte campusJune 23, 2015
Pros: It was great to get CEUs and I enjoyed teaching people.
Cons: Students that thought the course was easy and did not take it seriously
I loved that job, but sadly it ended after Hurricane Katrina. I would prepare lectures, administer weekly test and assign homework. It was a great way for me to get CEUS for my certification. I enjoyed meeting my students (most of them had full time day jobs so I admired them for making the effort to chose school at night to better themselves.)
My co-workers there were great professionals working in the Medical field. My manager was a great lady to work for. She always backed me up.

The hardest part of my job was dealing with students that took my classes and didn't take it seriously.
Typical Day
Director - Student Athlete Enrichment (Current Employee), AthleticsJune 17, 2015
It is a pretty relaxed environment, good coworkers it is an enjoyable place. Smaller school so you may be asked to do things outside of your initial title. Must be a team player.
Very good place to work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), new orleansMay 29, 2015
I worked as a research assistant and a teaching assistant, it was a very pleasant experience. Professors are well qualified and willing to help.
Contstanly changing work enviorment
Building Manager (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAMay 22, 2015
Pros: Working on campus
Cons: Pay was low
On a typical day I would be in charge of opening and closing the building, as well as attending to any and all guests. I learned a lot about communicating with people in an effective manner. I also learned a great deal about supervising employees and setting schedules. The hardest part of my job had to have been the constantly changing work environment and having to adapt to the many different guests that would come in.
Place to learn, earn and have fun
Professional Assistant (Former Employee), New OrleansApril 14, 2015
Pros: lots of Freedom and more to learn
Cons: not much benefits
I usally work on developing websites for different departments at UNO and also developed a IOS application for enrollment department. Sometimes I help my boss in database size in Oracle, MsAccess and some singularity related works.
It's a nice place for students but can cause flexibility issues
Associate (Former Employee), New OrleansMarch 22, 2015
Complete disfunction with new manager, refuses to fire people so she would rather cut hours until you are forced to quit. This is not the follet way.
Educational
Research Assistant (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: experience
Cons: no pay
Contributing to a team of students working on Louisiana coastal research. Interpreting this data to form hypothesis for coastal restoration efforts. Professors as management were great and very open to building greater knowledge and understanding. Overall very useful time spent.
Job was located on UNO main campus.
Sr. Project Engineer (Former Employee), New Orleans, LADecember 7, 2014
Pros: got to work with cutting edge technology
Cons: lack of career path/advancement opportunities
Could attend grad school while working full time. Finished MS in Mechanical Engineering in 1 1/2 year.
Good Student Job
Temporary Counter (Former Employee), New Orleans, LADecember 1, 2014
Pros: no school/work conflicts
Cons: only temporary
Working for the Pedestrian Bicyclist Resource Initiative at UNO is a good opportunity. While in school, working for UNO is a way that you're guaranteed not to run into school/work conflict. The hours are flexible and the Supervisor Tara is laid back and great with communication.
This particular opportunity has students go to various locations through out the city and watch pedestrians and bicyclists for about 2 hours. You and a partner watch, count, and document people.
The most difficult part of the job is of course the weather and sometimes the locations aren't the best, but there are protocols for these situations to fall back on.
Overall I loved this job and my biggest complaint is that it's only offered in the spring. I would love to do it year round!
Wonderful experience.
Study Abroad, Ambassador Ward (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAOctober 19, 2014
It was a wonderful experience overall.
I'm very grateful for the opportunity.
Productive but stressful work enviroment
Master Plumber (Current Employee), New Orleans, LAOctober 9, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: uncertainty of uno's future plans.
Typical work day is maintaining plumbing operations. UNO is getting ready to be privatized, which leads to uncertainty at the work place.
Good school in exotic city
Desk Assistant (Former Employee), new orleansSeptember 23, 2014
Really nice school in a amazing city. Nice and exotic city. Do not miss bagnet at Cafe Dumonde.
Very enriching enviornment
Teaching Assistant for a General Chemistry Lab (Former Employee), New Orleans, LASeptember 13, 2014
Pros: student enrichment
Cons: lab manual had faults
I would not work everyday, but I would teach every Tuesday for about 3 hours. I would also tutor 2 days during the week for any students who had questions.

I have already taken this lab class, so it was easy to proctor and follow the lab manual. I learned in more depth how to answer the questions posed in the lab manual and how to also work them. I also learned safety aspects that are needed in a chemistry laboratory. Management came from one of my former professors and a former TA who were very helpful. My co-workers were also very friendly and helpful when I needed explainations or help. The hardest part of the job would be the grading as well as attending school myself. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing and allowing other students to grasp concepts and succeed.
College Environment
Student Assistant, (Former Employee), New Orleans, LASeptember 8, 2014
Worked with students and help with computer programs. Assisted students with projects and computer programs.
Primarily Data Entry
Research Assistant (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAAugust 19, 2014
I love data entry and the position allowed for such abundantly.
Valuable Experienced Gained
Instructor - Physical Geology (Former Employee), New OrleansJuly 22, 2014
Complete Course Design & Implementation, lectures, notes, tests, tutoring, administered grades

Taught geologic & geophysical skills such as basin interpretation, mapping, subsurface mapping, cross-sections, seismic interpretation, well log correlation
This was a great school.
Administrative Secretary to Dean of Student Life (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAJuly 21, 2014
Pros: private fun atmosphere.
Cons: not conveniently located close to home.
The position I held while working for the University of New Orleans assisted and prepared me for the jobs I obtained after life at UNO.
Internship
Staff Writer, Photographer, Intern (Former Employee), New OrleansJuly 15, 2014
Pros: experiencing new people, places, and things
Cons: no advancement, benefits, pay, etc.
I completed my internship at the University of New Orleans writing for their newspaper the Driftwood. I attended the weekly meeting every Tuesday at 11 for an hour. I pitched ideas for stories. I would get my assignments for my stories. I would conduct interviews for my stories and go out and experience my stories. I mostly wrote reviews for bars, restaurants, food, movies, drinks, and things to do in New Orleans. I would write and edit my story and turn it in before deadline. Then, the week routine would start over.