University of New Orleans Employee Reviews in United States

Worked with students
Academic Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 11, 2016
Great working front desk for students with questions. Very family oriented. Learned many computer skills. Maintained database of students.
Pros
Very respected
Cons
really no cons that stand out in mind
Teaching assistantship is more about experience than pay/benefits
Head Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 28, 2016
If you are a teaching assistant expect to be paid less than $20k/year with no benefits. This job is more about getting as much experience as possible while making lasting relationships with your professors.
Productive and fun to learn place
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  New OrleansJune 20, 2016
Great learn environment with good friends. Great classes and some professors are very good. Small number of classes to choose but some classes are great.
Great for students
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 17, 2016
Short shifts
research techniques
great supervisors
fun co-workers
dealing with public patrons
dealing with students
Pros
short shifts
Cons
amount paid
Fun, open environment
Administrative Assistant 5 (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 28, 2016
What I enjoy about working for the University of New Orleans is the open communication. Co-workers are helpful and honest without being critical. Management has an open door policy and are willing to allow time for family obligations , vacations and education opportunities.

There are staff appreciation days and the ability to speak to the highest level of administration without trouble and they willing and openly accept any suggestions, listen to grievances and appreciate those who go above an beyond regularly.
Pros
Ample parking, paid holidays, family-friendly work enviornment
Cons
Healthcare, short staffed facility management
UNO has helped shape me into a better reseacher
Graduate Research/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 16, 2016
Professors are very nice and helpful, and courses are useful. In addition, there are a lot students from different countries.
Viable option for a student
graduate assistant (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 22, 2016
Yet being a student and working hard on degree, it's crucial to have some sustainable source of income for covering up living costs. The UNO provides flexible terms for Graduate Assistant positions, that allow for non-stressful combining work and classes. The most valuable benefit is not being bound to the workplace. One can optimize the workload and manage days according with his/her needs. The work tightly related to the major(Computer Science), which highly amplifies the overall quality of education as one has to deal with non-trivial challenges and solve real problems. The management and co-workers are really easy-going and upon a call willingly give a hand and do the best to catch you up.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
low $
Great place to work while in school
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 23, 2015
A typical day at work involves running engineering analysis while being able to study for courses that I'm enrolled in. I run a column settling test, and the first day is usually a 14 hour day with some downtime in between. The job is located on campus, so it does not interfere with my classes.
Challenging workplace with little potential for advancement
it coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 4, 2015
Work hard to please clients as quickly as possible. Tasks range from very simple to very complex technical issues. Patience is vital.
Pros
work at your own pace
Cons
it's all about numbers
Helping people know their way around UNO
Help Desk Attendant (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 3, 2015
The main part of the job is to sit in a seat at the desk, greet and help fellow students or guests know their way along the campus. Ive learned to communicate effectively and produce information to "customers". When there isnt much to do, we sometime have the oppurtunity to do school work in between helping people. The co-workers I have are a mixed bag; some do schoolwork, some talk a lot to their friends who come by the front desk, and some are diligent with their time and work.
Pros
Get homework done, communicate effectively, and get to meet interesting people
Cons
low wages, not enough money per month to pay for rent, and sometimes ignorant people.
Teaching undergraduates the Introduction to World Politics class
Teaching Assistant and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 21, 2015
It was great. Teaching about 40 undergraduates the Into to World Politics class. Unfortunately, the budget for UNO has been cut repeatedly.
Productive and fun workplace
Administrative Coordinator 1 (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 13, 2015
My typical work day are sometimes busy. I have learn a lot about the TMA System and payroll system. My co-workers are fun to work with. The hard part of my work is putting invoices into TMA System and the most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people every day.
great
Freshman Writing Instructor (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 5, 2015
great people, great school, learned a lot about teaching writing, talking with people in your own field and interests. It was one of the best school and working environments I have ever been in.
Management Issues
Manager of Financial Reporting and General Acct. (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 16, 2015
Poor working enviroment. No cohesive thought in the strategic planning or day to day operations. Management ruled by fear.
adjunct Professor at UNO. I taught Medical Terminology ICD-9
Instructor (Former Employee) –  salelitte campusJune 23, 2015
I loved that job, but sadly it ended after Hurricane Katrina. I would prepare lectures, administer weekly test and assign homework. It was a great way for me to get CEUS for my certification. I enjoyed meeting my students (most of them had full time day jobs so I admired them for making the effort to chose school at night to better themselves.)
My co-workers there were great professionals working in the Medical field. My manager was a great lady to work for. She always backed me up.

The hardest part of my job was dealing with students that took my classes and didn't take it seriously.
Pros
It was great to get CEUs and I enjoyed teaching people.
Cons
Students that thought the course was easy and did not take it seriously
Typical Day
Director - Student Athlete Enrichment (Current Employee) –  AthleticsJune 17, 2015
It is a pretty relaxed environment, good coworkers it is an enjoyable place. Smaller school so you may be asked to do things outside of your initial title. Must be a team player.
Very good place to work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  new orleansMay 29, 2015
I worked as a research assistant and a teaching assistant, it was a very pleasant experience. Professors are well qualified and willing to help.
Contstanly changing work enviorment
Building Manager (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 22, 2015
On a typical day I would be in charge of opening and closing the building, as well as attending to any and all guests. I learned a lot about communicating with people in an effective manner. I also learned a great deal about supervising employees and setting schedules. The hardest part of my job had to have been the constantly changing work environment and having to adapt to the many different guests that would come in.
Pros
Working on campus
Cons
Pay was low
Place to learn, earn and have fun
Professional Assistant (Former Employee) –  New OrleansApril 14, 2015
I usally work on developing websites for different departments at UNO and also developed a IOS application for enrollment department. Sometimes I help my boss in database size in Oracle, MsAccess and some singularity related works.
Pros
lots of Freedom and more to learn
Cons
not much benefits
It's a nice place for students but can cause flexibility issues
Associate (Former Employee) –  New OrleansMarch 22, 2015
Complete disfunction with new manager, refuses to fire people so she would rather cut hours until you are forced to quit. This is not the follet way.

4.2