University of New Orleans Employee Reviews in United States

Viable option for a student
graduate assistant (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 22, 2016
Yet being a student and working hard on degree, it's crucial to have some sustainable source of income for covering up living costs. The UNO provides flexible terms for Graduate Assistant positions, that allow for non-stressful combining work and classes. The most valuable benefit is not being bound to the workplace. One can optimize the workload and manage days according with his/her needs. The work tightly related to the major(Computer Science), which highly amplifies the overall quality of education as one has to deal with non-trivial challenges and solve real problems. The management and co-workers are really easy-going and upon a call willingly give a hand and do the best to catch you up.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
low $
Helping people know their way around UNO
Help Desk Attendant (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 3, 2015
The main part of the job is to sit in a seat at the desk, greet and help fellow students or guests know their way along the campus. Ive learned to communicate effectively and produce information to "customers". When there isnt much to do, we sometime have the oppurtunity to do school work in between helping people. The co-workers I have are a mixed bag; some do schoolwork, some talk a lot to their friends who come by the front desk, and some are diligent with their time and work.
Pros
Get homework done, communicate effectively, and get to meet interesting people
Cons
low wages, not enough money per month to pay for rent, and sometimes ignorant people.
Place to learn, earn and have fun
Professional Assistant (Former Employee) –  New OrleansApril 14, 2015
I usally work on developing websites for different departments at UNO and also developed a IOS application for enrollment department. Sometimes I help my boss in database size in Oracle, MsAccess and some singularity related works.
Pros
lots of Freedom and more to learn
Cons
not much benefits
Challenging workplace with little potential for advancement
it coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 4, 2015
Work hard to please clients as quickly as possible. Tasks range from very simple to very complex technical issues. Patience is vital.
Pros
work at your own pace
Cons
it's all about numbers
Great place to work while in school
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 23, 2015
A typical day at work involves running engineering analysis while being able to study for courses that I'm enrolled in. I run a column settling test, and the first day is usually a 14 hour day with some downtime in between. The job is located on campus, so it does not interfere with my classes.
UNO has helped shape me into a better reseacher
Graduate Research/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 16, 2016
Professors are very nice and helpful, and courses are useful. In addition, there are a lot students from different countries.
Internship
Staff Writer, Photographer, Intern (Former Employee) –  New OrleansJuly 15, 2014
I completed my internship at the University of New Orleans writing for their newspaper the Driftwood. I attended the weekly meeting every Tuesday at 11 for an hour. I pitched ideas for stories. I would get my assignments for my stories. I would conduct interviews for my stories and go out and experience my stories. I mostly wrote reviews for bars, restaurants, food, movies, drinks, and things to do in New Orleans. I would write and edit my story and turn it in before deadline. Then, the week routine would start over.
Pros
experiencing new people, places, and things
Cons
no advancement, benefits, pay, etc.
Teaching undergraduates the Introduction to World Politics class
Teaching Assistant and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 21, 2015
It was great. Teaching about 40 undergraduates the Into to World Politics class. Unfortunately, the budget for UNO has been cut repeatedly.
adjunct Professor at UNO. I taught Medical Terminology ICD-9
Instructor (Former Employee) –  salelitte campusJune 23, 2015
I loved that job, but sadly it ended after Hurricane Katrina. I would prepare lectures, administer weekly test and assign homework. It was a great way for me to get CEUS for my certification. I enjoyed meeting my students (most of them had full time day jobs so I admired them for making the effort to chose school at night to better themselves.)
My co-workers there were great professionals working in the Medical field. My manager was a great lady to work for. She always backed me up.

The hardest part of my job was dealing with students that took my classes and didn't take it seriously.
Pros
It was great to get CEUs and I enjoyed teaching people.
Cons
Students that thought the course was easy and did not take it seriously
Productive but stressful work enviroment
Master Plumber (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 9, 2014
Typical work day is maintaining plumbing operations. UNO is getting ready to be privatized, which leads to uncertainty at the work place.
benefits
Cons
uncertainty of uno's future plans.
Productive and fun workplace
Administrative Coordinator 1 (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 13, 2015
My typical work day are sometimes busy. I have learn a lot about the TMA System and payroll system. My co-workers are fun to work with. The hard part of my work is putting invoices into TMA System and the most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people every day.
Management Issues
Manager of Financial Reporting and General Acct. (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 16, 2015
Poor working enviroment. No cohesive thought in the strategic planning or day to day operations. Management ruled by fear.
Contstanly changing work enviorment
Building Manager (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 22, 2015
On a typical day I would be in charge of opening and closing the building, as well as attending to any and all guests. I learned a lot about communicating with people in an effective manner. I also learned a great deal about supervising employees and setting schedules. The hardest part of my job had to have been the constantly changing work environment and having to adapt to the many different guests that would come in.
Pros
Working on campus
Cons
Pay was low
great
Freshman Writing Instructor (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 5, 2015
great people, great school, learned a lot about teaching writing, talking with people in your own field and interests. It was one of the best school and working environments I have ever been in.
Great Opportunity
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 7, 2014
I learned all of my basic laboratory techniques at UNO. This first job opened up many future opportunities for me.
Pros
good student job
Cons
no benefits
Good place to start a higher education
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  New OrleansFebruary 28, 2013
Although lacking in funds to provide for research and teaching benefits in some departments, it was a good starting place.
Good benefits
Computer Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 18, 2013
I've had the opportunity to meet a lot of new and interesting people. Benefits are great and scheduling is flexible.
Typical Day
Director - Student Athlete Enrichment (Current Employee) –  AthleticsJune 17, 2015
It is a pretty relaxed environment, good coworkers it is an enjoyable place. Smaller school so you may be asked to do things outside of your initial title. Must be a team player.
Very enriching enviornment
Teaching Assistant for a General Chemistry Lab (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 13, 2014
I would not work everyday, but I would teach every Tuesday for about 3 hours. I would also tutor 2 days during the week for any students who had questions.

I have already taken this lab class, so it was easy to proctor and follow the lab manual. I learned in more depth how to answer the questions posed in the lab manual and how to also work them. I also learned safety aspects that are needed in a chemistry laboratory. Management came from one of my former professors and a former TA who were very helpful. My co-workers were also very friendly and helpful when I needed explainations or help. The hardest part of the job would be the grading as well as attending school myself. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing and allowing other students to grasp concepts and succeed.
Pros
student enrichment
Cons
lab manual had faults
Good Student Job
Temporary Counter (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 1, 2014
Working for the Pedestrian Bicyclist Resource Initiative at UNO is a good opportunity. While in school, working for UNO is a way that you're guaranteed not to run into school/work conflict. The hours are flexible and the Supervisor Tara is laid back and great with communication.
This particular opportunity has students go to various locations through out the city and watch pedestrians and bicyclists for about 2 hours. You and a partner watch, count, and document people.
The most difficult part of the job is of course the weather and sometimes the locations aren't the best, but there are protocols for these situations to fall back on.
Overall I loved this job and my biggest complaint is that it's only offered in the spring. I would love to do it year round!
Pros
no school/work conflicts
Cons
only temporary

4.2