University of New Orleans

University of New Orleans United States Employee Reviews

It's a nice place for students but can cause flexibility issues
Associate (Former Employee), New OrleansMarch 22, 2015
Complete disfunction with new manager, refuses to fire people so she would rather cut hours until you are forced to quit. This is not the follet way.
Educational
Research Assistant (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: experience
Cons: no pay
Contributing to a team of students working on Louisiana coastal research. Interpreting this data to form hypothesis for coastal restoration efforts. Professors as management were great and very open to building greater knowledge and understanding. Overall very useful time spent.
Job was located on UNO main campus.
Sr. Project Engineer (Former Employee), New Orleans, LADecember 7, 2014
Pros: got to work with cutting edge technology
Cons: lack of career path/advancement opportunities
Could attend grad school while working full time. Finished MS in Mechanical Engineering in 1 1/2 year.
Good Student Job
Temporary Counter (Former Employee), New Orleans, LADecember 1, 2014
Pros: no school/work conflicts
Cons: only temporary
Working for the Pedestrian Bicyclist Resource Initiative at UNO is a good opportunity. While in school, working for UNO is a way that you're guaranteed not to run into school/work conflict. The hours are flexible and the Supervisor Tara is laid back and great with communication.
This particular opportunity has students go to various locations through out the city and watch pedestrians and bicyclists for about 2 hours. You and a partner watch, count, and document people.
The most difficult part of the job is of course the weather and sometimes the locations aren't the best, but there are protocols for these situations to fall back on.
Overall I loved this job and my biggest complaint is that it's only offered in the spring. I would love to do it year round!
Wonderful experience.
Study Abroad, Ambassador Ward (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAOctober 19, 2014
It was a wonderful experience overall.
I'm very grateful for the opportunity.
Productive but stressful work enviroment
Master Plumber (Current Employee), New Orleans, LAOctober 9, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: uncertainty of uno's future plans.
Typical work day is maintaining plumbing operations. UNO is getting ready to be privatized, which leads to uncertainty at the work place.
Good school in exotic city
Desk Assistant (Former Employee), new orleansSeptember 23, 2014
Really nice school in a amazing city. Nice and exotic city. Do not miss bagnet at Cafe Dumonde.
Very enriching enviornment
Teaching Assistant for a General Chemistry Lab (Former Employee), New Orleans, LASeptember 13, 2014
Pros: student enrichment
Cons: lab manual had faults
I would not work everyday, but I would teach every Tuesday for about 3 hours. I would also tutor 2 days during the week for any students who had questions.

I have already taken this lab class, so it was easy to proctor and follow the lab manual. I learned in more depth how to answer the questions posed in the lab manual and how to also work them. I also learned safety aspects that are needed in a chemistry laboratory. Management came from one of my former professors and a former TA who were very helpful. My co-workers were also very friendly and helpful when I needed explainations or help. The hardest part of the job would be the grading as well as attending school myself. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing and allowing other students to grasp concepts and succeed.
College Environment
Student Assistant, (Former Employee), New Orleans, LASeptember 8, 2014
Worked with students and help with computer programs. Assisted students with projects and computer programs.
Primarily Data Entry
Research Assistant (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAAugust 19, 2014
I love data entry and the position allowed for such abundantly.
Valuable Experienced Gained
Instructor - Physical Geology (Former Employee), New OrleansJuly 22, 2014
Complete Course Design & Implementation, lectures, notes, tests, tutoring, administered grades

Taught geologic & geophysical skills such as basin interpretation, mapping, subsurface mapping, cross-sections, seismic interpretation, well log correlation
This was a great school.
Administrative Secretary to Dean of Student Life (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAJuly 21, 2014
Pros: private fun atmosphere.
Cons: not conveniently located close to home.
The position I held while working for the University of New Orleans assisted and prepared me for the jobs I obtained after life at UNO.
Internship
Staff Writer, Photographer, Intern (Former Employee), New OrleansJuly 15, 2014
Pros: experiencing new people, places, and things
Cons: no advancement, benefits, pay, etc.
I completed my internship at the University of New Orleans writing for their newspaper the Driftwood. I attended the weekly meeting every Tuesday at 11 for an hour. I pitched ideas for stories. I would get my assignments for my stories. I would conduct interviews for my stories and go out and experience my stories. I mostly wrote reviews for bars, restaurants, food, movies, drinks, and things to do in New Orleans. I would write and edit my story and turn it in before deadline. Then, the week routine would start over.
Not too hard but must be careful
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), New Orleans, LAJune 22, 2014
Pros: not too hard
Cons: low income
Need to do a lot correction of homeworks, quiz, tests. But really good to talk in front of students for several classes. Not very hard job but the pay is really low.
Busy
Surveyor (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAApril 18, 2014
Pros: 15 minute paid break every hour
Cons: not enough hours, and the job was only 1 1/2 months long.
A typical day at this job was to go in a classroom everyday for 3-4 hours, and call residents back to back that lived in New Orleans during hurricane Katrina and try to see if they will take a survey, type all the answers to the questions I asked, and memorize answers to the typical questions most residents ask before they take a survey. I learned how aggravating surveyors must be, but also how to conduct and analyze a survey. My manager stood in front of the classroom and was there everyday incase anyone needed help. The hardest part was trying to get the resident to finish the survey because they take about 30 minutes to complete and a lot of people hang up half way through it. The most enjoyable part was getting a resident to actually complete the entire survey.
Great Opportunity
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAApril 7, 2014
Pros: good student job
Cons: no benefits
I learned all of my basic laboratory techniques at UNO. This first job opened up many future opportunities for me.
Review for University of New Orleans
Instructor of Record (Current Employee), New Orleans, LAMarch 30, 2014
Pros: location
Cons: numerous budget cuts
In my role as Instructor of Record while a graduate student I enjoyed working for the university. I find the university environment to be enjoyable, although I am not a full time instructor.
good
Office Manager (Former Employee), new orleansMarch 27, 2014
Great place to work.Everyone easy going, I enjoyed working there.
Challenging
Research Assistant (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAFebruary 20, 2014
Had the chance to broaden horizon on the fields Electrical Engineering.
This helped me decide if I wanted a PhD or not
Research Assistant (Former Employee), New Orleans, LADecember 15, 2013
Enjoyed the experience of researching as undergraduate. Discovered the rigor that goes in publishing technical papers. Excellent teammates and great time.

1 2 3