University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Employer Reviews

great place for work
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee), Chapel Hill, NCJune 17, 2014
As a postdoc, I really enjoyed my experience here. Core facilities for almost everything, great speakers and a well organized postdoctoral association. I really loved my time here
Smart, dedicated, respectful people
Lecturer (Current Employee), Chapel Hill, NCMay 14, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: no security for non-tenure track
UNC's campus is beautiful, and the Communication Studies department is populated with pleasant, smart, hard-working people. They are genuinely interested in each other's work and lives.
Outstanding Research Focused Graduate Training Program
PhD Candidate (Current Employee), Chapel Hill, NCApril 21, 2014
UNC-CH is top notch research university, where the faculty and physicians involved in graduate training are approachable, helpful, and willing to engage in graduate student training.
Very rewarding, but tough to see a long-term career here
Program Advisor (Current Employee), Chapel Hill, NCApril 8, 2014
My job at Carolina is incredibly rewarding. I've learned an incredible amount, developed great skills, and had the privilege to work with wonderful students for many years. Due to low salaries which are disparate across departments (and not many opportunities to move up), it's hard to see making this a long term situation.
Excellent environment for graduate study
Graduate Student (Former Employee), Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 23, 2014
UNC-Chapel Hill is an ideal environment for graduate students.
Graduate Student
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Chapel Hill, NCDecember 9, 2013
The University of North Carolina has a great graduate program. Nice college town to go to graduate school.
Fun opportunity.
Temporary Research Assistant (Former Employee), Chapel Hill, NCNovember 21, 2013
Pros: work schedule.
Cons: inconsistent hours.
Traveling to prisons to recruit inmates and making visits to complete interviews. Great co-workers, always willing to help me when I first started to get better at my job.
Fun college atmosphere
Groundskeeper (Former Employee), Chapel Hill, NCOctober 7, 2013
Great group of co-workers and a very enjoyable work atmosphere.
Great academic environment
Graduate Study (Former Employee), Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 29, 2013
Cutting edge science institution with many opportunities to build interdisciplinary research programs due to the strength of the faculty.
Slow Paced Academia
Flow Cytometry Research Specialist (Former Employee), Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 17, 2013
The environment wasn't as fast paced as I was hoping. There was not enough work to go around and it did not feel like everyone in the group was working as a team.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee), Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 11, 2013
Work is typically very busy with few breaks, however it is always interesting and keeps you learning new things daily!
Collaborative, flexible environment.
Statistician (Former Employee), Chapel Hill, NCAugust 14, 2013
Pros: flexibility. staff encouraged to take/attend courses for career development.
Cons: very large and decentralized. experience varies a lot with supervisor/manager and team.
Great research, challenging work and friendly staff. University benefits are great but state budget cuts created some challenges.
Rah Rah Carolina-lina!
Human Resources Facilitator Assistant (Former Employee), Chapel Hill, NCJuly 31, 2013
After graduating from UNC, I was fortunate enough to attain a job with my alma mater. It was amazing to still be on campus and enjoy the city of Chapel Hill. The position was my first taste at a "real job" and I gained some useful payroll experience.
Great place to work while going to school.
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Chapel Hill, NCMay 29, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, great experience, and comparable pay.
Cons: no real cons.
I participated in research the last two years of my college career. It was a fun and exciting opportunity. I was able to learn a lot and gain some valuable experience.
Excellent opportunity to use and increase my technical skills in Research Computing applications
Graduate Student Assistant Research Scientist (Current Employee), Chapel Hill, NCMay 25, 2013
Wonderful management, personal development environment both technically and in client management.
UNC CH Human resources
Human Resource Specialist (Former Employee), Chapel Hill, NCMarch 10, 2013
I was part of the "Tar Heel Temps" team within Human Resources. I interviewed, evaluated and placed individuals in clerical positions for the University.
Great University to work for. Very progressive and forward thinking.
Senior IT Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Chapel Hill, NCFebruary 24, 2013
I think there are many opportunities for growth and advancement. Various types of training opportunities are available, especially in the areas related to healthcare.
Good as a state job
Research Technician (Former Employee), East campusApril 16, 2012
Pros: diverse environment, benefits
Cons: traffic is horrible around campus, lack of decent parking
UNC is a great place to work at. Excellent benefits. Transportation around campus is reliable.
Not terrible for a State Institution
SBA Accounting Tech (Former Employee), Chapel Hill, NCMarch 24, 2012
Pros: people here try
Cons: state rules and regs...useless
Can be fun at time...work hard and usually it gets noticed. Management and staff truly care
A high quality research environment.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow/Research Associate (Current Employee), Chapel Hill, NCMarch 16, 2012
Pros: good support for your research projects.
Cons: weak support in other areas of career development.
UNC is an excellent research institution, but compensation and benefits for its research staff could be better. Support and career development for postdoctoral researchers could be greatly improved by increasing the availability of training in transferable technical skills, for example in areas such as advanced computing skills and the use of statistical – more... software. – less