University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Employee Reviews in United States

Awesome place to work
Application Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCFebruary 23, 2016
I went to UNC for undergrad and started working full-time after being a student employee for two years. It's a great atmosphere and I can't imagine being anywhere else.
Underwhelming
Communications Manager (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCFebruary 5, 2016
State Job - subject to whims of the legislature
Underwhelming pay, benefits, chance for raises and advancement
Academia is purposeful, but dry and slow
Pros
Good Work/Life Balance
Cons
State job Underwhelming pay, benefits, advancement opportunity and you really have to love academia
The University works well with its employees
Building Environmental Services Technician (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCDecember 16, 2015
There are opportunities to advance with temporary and permanent employees. Conflicting attitudes with coworkers can be difficult when working together.
Thankful for the Opportunity
Business Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCOctober 9, 2015
Thank you for the opportunity but there is no growth or opportunity. Budgetary cut backs will always be the excuse for low pay.
Benefits
Cons
low pay and over works.
Great workplace to be able to create exprience.
Summer Painter (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 30, 2015
A typical day at work deals with painting dormitories and apartments on the University of North Carolina of Chapel Hill campus. Great Environment with great co-workers.
Front Desk
Front Desk (Current Employee) –  ObstetricsAugust 10, 2015
8-5
Operation of office equipment
filing, faxing, taking calls
Outlook management for faculty
Schedule meetings and book venues
Great People to work with!
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 10, 2015
Worked in the Department of Allied Health Sciences preparing Graduate Students for their chosen Allied Health Profession.
UNC is a wonderful educational experience.
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  StudentMay 4, 2015
I could be a scholar for the rest of my life, and UNC is a great place to learn. They challenge you every day, demand that you think and require that you give one hundred percent of yourself to your work. I will miss my time there.
Friendly and Productive Research Environment
Research Intern (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 12, 2015
A typical day was mostly spent on research, but departmental and lab meetings and seminars were very frequent. It is a great way to meet with colleagues while learning about cutting edge research. My co-workers were without exception some of the friendliest people I've encountered. As a researcher I was given relative freedom in my hours while still being expected to get a lot done.
Pros
diverse lunch options nearby and many meetings, seminars, and events to attend.
Easy going and fun workplace inside the Bowman Grey Pool on UNC campus.
PADI SCUBA Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 7, 2015
A typical day at work for this job begins with a collaborative planning session with two other professional SCUBA instructors. We then get our equipment together and put it by poolside. The students come in and gather their equipment with our assistance and put things together for the water instruction. We then all enter the pool and proceed with SCUBA instruction for about an hour.
We begin at 3:30 and have 3 different sections (class periods) every Tuesday. We teach the sections back to back ending at 8:00 pm.
I really enjoy working with college students. They are optimistic and fun to teach and talk with.
The hardest part of the job is getting cold from being in the water for such a long time. The very best part of the job is traveling with the students to Key Largo, Florida for open water training at the end of each semester.
Pros
travel to key largo, florida twice per year.
Cons
long hours in the water at a time= cold!
Excellent in everything
Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCDecember 19, 2014
Outstanding work place. Collaborative, cooperative and friendly people. Flexible hours.
Good Place to Work
Emergency Relief Nurse (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCDecember 8, 2014
This is a great place to work. I've made many good connections with people and have gained a fair amount of experience from the three positions that I've had the opportunity to be a part of.
Pros
diversity
Cons
having to pay for parking
Productive Workplace
Conference and Events Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 31, 2014
Great place to work with great benefits if you are a permanent employee. Work typically stays at work allowing a good work/life balance.
Pros
free lunch occasionally.
Cons
no benefits if temp employee.
great place for work
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 17, 2014
As a postdoc, I really enjoyed my experience here. Core facilities for almost everything, great speakers and a well organized postdoctoral association. I really loved my time here
Smart, dedicated, respectful people
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 14, 2014
UNC's campus is beautiful, and the Communication Studies department is populated with pleasant, smart, hard-working people. They are genuinely interested in each other's work and lives.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no security for non-tenure track
Outstanding Research Focused Graduate Training Program
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCApril 21, 2014
UNC-CH is top notch research university, where the faculty and physicians involved in graduate training are approachable, helpful, and willing to engage in graduate student training.
Very rewarding, but tough to see a long-term career here
Program Advisor (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCApril 8, 2014
My job at Carolina is incredibly rewarding. I've learned an incredible amount, developed great skills, and had the privilege to work with wonderful students for many years. Due to low salaries which are disparate across departments (and not many opportunities to move up), it's hard to see making this a long term situation.
Temporary position
Interviewer, CSRL, Department of Biostatistics (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMarch 13, 2014
I enjoyed the short period of time i did work there. It was for a call center. You have to have good communication skills as well as multitasking skills. It was at night time and worked well with my schedule.
Pros
enjoyable
Cons
temperary
Excellent environment for graduate study
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 23, 2014
UNC-Chapel Hill is an ideal environment for graduate students.
Fun opportunity.
Temporary Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCNovember 21, 2013
Traveling to prisons to recruit inmates and making visits to complete interviews. Great co-workers, always willing to help me when I first started to get better at my job.
Pros
work schedule.
Cons
inconsistent hours.

4.3