University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Employee Reviews

Most enjoyable part of the job
Marketing Manager, University Development (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 21, 2017
Meeting the students and faculty and hearing about the amazing things they are accomplishing. They are all very genuine and dedicated in their work. The areas of expertise vary greatly, which is also fascinating to learn about.
Nice place to work
Technology Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 28, 2017
A typical day is very fast-paced. Responsible for assisting university staff, faculty, and students with issues they may encounter using hr/payroll/finance systems. Managers are helpful and knowledgeable. The workplace is friendly. Benefits and available discounts are some of the perks. The hardest part of the job is being tethered to a phone from 8a-5p. Constant calls can make work challenging because it can impede progress while working on many other issues. Workplace culture is excellent. No complaints.
Pros
events, cafeterias, benefits, discounts
Cons
parking, traffic
A very good company
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 27, 2017
Yes I love to work for this company .It is the best company to work for and all my friend like work for is company the pay was good and the work was very good
Cons
quality work place with growth opportunity
French Instructor and Curriculum Developer (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 10, 2017
responsibilities consisted of preparing and executing lesson plans for undergraduate foreign language classes. There was a positive camaraderie among the employees in the department.
Pros
autonomy of classroom management, pleasant workplace environment
Cons
none of note
Healthcare
promotion possible
training available
Relaxed, but positive atmosphere
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 7, 2017
When I came in each morning, I immediately took the laundry from the Field House locker rooms to the laundromat facility and retrieved any that were already there ready to be returned. I hung the returned clothes on the appropriate locker hooks and went to down to the track. Once there I tidied up the equipment room and prepared the track for future practice by placing hurdles and cones in the desired places. After this was accomplished I went to the Coach I was assigned to. Here I preformed the rather simple clerical work necessary for each day. Once done I had time, waiting for any assignment that may come up. At the end of each workday I returned to the laundromat to check if the laundry had been completed and retrieve them if they were.

Overall, the job preformed its duty to give a job and source of income for college students. It was a relaxed, but supportive workplace culture. Management, in the form of the Track Coaches, were extremely helpful and understanding of any needs I had as a college student.

As a simple job, none of the work was particularly difficult. Assuring that I did not enter any track times incorrectly did take extra diligence due to the sometimes millisecond difference in recording times. Entering incorrectly may reflect back on the athlete in practice so such clerical errors needed to be avoided. Ironically, this clerical work was rather enjoyable as I knew it provided use for the track team.
Nice college, leadership is weak
Director of Diversity Education and Assessment (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 11, 2017
The University was in much better shape before the Republicans took over the legislature. Now any kind of progressive activity, particularly if it is to the benefit of white women or minorities is being scrapped. A good place to work if diversity is not important to you except through lip service. Opportunity to meet some great folks with great minds if you can tolerate the other backward processes. Unfortunately when I was there a culture of fear reigned. " Do not make any noise or raise any concerns or you may be let go."
Pros
Great people, nice weather, beautiful campus, good compensation
Cons
Very elitest, some animals are more equal than others
Relaxed Work space
Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 2, 2017
Great exposure and hands-on learning. An overall excellent job experience. Employers were friendly, helpful, and cared about their employees. Would recommend to anyone that is job searching.
Front Desk Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCApril 25, 2017
I loved working here, a very quiet environment for your thoughts. The guests are all very nice, as is the staff. Also, lots of room for growth, learn a lot of things about the library system
Awesome place to work
Application Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCFebruary 23, 2016
I went to UNC for undergrad and started working full-time after being a student employee for two years. It's a great atmosphere and I can't imagine being anywhere else.
Underwhelming
Communications Manager (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCFebruary 5, 2016
State Job - subject to whims of the legislature
Underwhelming pay, benefits, chance for raises and advancement
Academia is purposeful, but dry and slow
Pros
Good Work/Life Balance
Cons
State job Underwhelming pay, benefits, advancement opportunity and you really have to love academia
The University works well with its employees
Building Environmental Services Technician (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCDecember 16, 2015
There are opportunities to advance with temporary and permanent employees. Conflicting attitudes with coworkers can be difficult when working together.
Thankful for the Opportunity
Business Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCOctober 9, 2015
Thank you for the opportunity but there is no growth or opportunity. Budgetary cut backs will always be the excuse for low pay.
Benefits
Cons
low pay and over works.
Great workplace to be able to create exprience.
Summer Painter (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 30, 2015
A typical day at work deals with painting dormitories and apartments on the University of North Carolina of Chapel Hill campus. Great Environment with great co-workers.
Front Desk
Front Desk (Current Employee) –  ObstetricsAugust 10, 2015
8-5
Operation of office equipment
filing, faxing, taking calls
Outlook management for faculty
Schedule meetings and book venues
Great People to work with!
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 10, 2015
Worked in the Department of Allied Health Sciences preparing Graduate Students for their chosen Allied Health Profession.
UNC is a wonderful educational experience.
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  StudentMay 4, 2015
I could be a scholar for the rest of my life, and UNC is a great place to learn. They challenge you every day, demand that you think and require that you give one hundred percent of yourself to your work. I will miss my time there.
Friendly and Productive Research Environment
Research Intern (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 12, 2015
A typical day was mostly spent on research, but departmental and lab meetings and seminars were very frequent. It is a great way to meet with colleagues while learning about cutting edge research. My co-workers were without exception some of the friendliest people I've encountered. As a researcher I was given relative freedom in my hours while still being expected to get a lot done.
Pros
Diverse lunch options nearby and many meetings, seminars, and events to attend.
Easy going and fun workplace inside the Bowman Grey Pool on UNC campus.
PADI SCUBA Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 7, 2015
A typical day at work for this job begins with a collaborative planning session with two other professional SCUBA instructors. We then get our equipment together and put it by poolside. The students come in and gather their equipment with our assistance and put things together for the water instruction. We then all enter the pool and proceed with SCUBA instruction for about an hour.
We begin at 3:30 and have 3 different sections (class periods) every Tuesday. We teach the sections back to back ending at 8:00 pm.
I really enjoy working with college students. They are optimistic and fun to teach and talk with.
The hardest part of the job is getting cold from being in the water for such a long time. The very best part of the job is traveling with the students to Key Largo, Florida for open water training at the end of each semester.
Pros
Travel to Key Largo, Florida twice per year.
Cons
Long hours in the water at a time= cold!
Excellent in everything
Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCDecember 19, 2014
Outstanding work place. Collaborative, cooperative and friendly people. Flexible hours.