University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill United States Employee Reviews

Friendly and Productive Research Environment
Research Intern (Current Employee), Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: diverse lunch options nearby and many meetings, seminars, and events to attend.
A typical day was mostly spent on research, but departmental and lab meetings and seminars were very frequent. It is a great way to meet with colleagues while learning about cutting edge research. My co-workers were without exception some of the friendliest people I've encountered. As a researcher I was given relative freedom in my hours while still being expected to get a lot done.
Easy going and fun workplace inside the Bowman Grey Pool on UNC campus.
PADI SCUBA Instructor (Current Employee), Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: travel to key largo, florida twice per year.
Cons: long hours in the water at a time= cold!
A typical day at work for this job begins with a collaborative planning session with two other professional SCUBA instructors. We then get our equipment together and put it by poolside. The students come in and gather their equipment with our assistance and put things together for the water instruction. We then all enter the pool and proceed with SCUBA instruction for about an hour.
We begin at 3:30 and have 3 different sections (class periods) every Tuesday. We teach the sections back to back ending at 8:00 pm.
I really enjoy working with college students. They are optimistic and fun to teach and talk with.
The hardest part of the job is getting cold from being in the water for such a long time. The very best part of the job is traveling with the students to Key Largo, Florida for open water training at the end of each semester.
Excellent in everything
Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee), Chapel Hill, NCDecember 19, 2014
Outstanding work place. Collaborative, cooperative and friendly people. Flexible hours.
Good Place to Work
Emergency Relief Nurse (Current Employee), Cary, NCDecember 8, 2014
Pros: diversity
Cons: having to pay for parking
This is a great place to work. I've made many good connections with people and have gained a fair amount of experience from the three positions that I've had the opportunity to be a part of.
Productive Workplace
Conference and Events Specialist (Current Employee), Chapel Hill, NCJuly 31, 2014
Pros: free lunch occasionally.
Cons: no benefits if temp employee.
Great place to work with great benefits if you are a permanent employee. Work typically stays at work allowing a good work/life balance.
great place for work
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee), Chapel Hill, NCJune 17, 2014
As a postdoc, I really enjoyed my experience here. Core facilities for almost everything, great speakers and a well organized postdoctoral association. I really loved my time here
Smart, dedicated, respectful people
Lecturer (Current Employee), Chapel Hill, NCMay 14, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: no security for non-tenure track
UNC's campus is beautiful, and the Communication Studies department is populated with pleasant, smart, hard-working people. They are genuinely interested in each other's work and lives.
Outstanding Research Focused Graduate Training Program
PhD Candidate (Current Employee), Chapel Hill, NCApril 21, 2014
UNC-CH is top notch research university, where the faculty and physicians involved in graduate training are approachable, helpful, and willing to engage in graduate student training.
Very rewarding, but tough to see a long-term career here
Program Advisor (Current Employee), Chapel Hill, NCApril 8, 2014
My job at Carolina is incredibly rewarding. I've learned an incredible amount, developed great skills, and had the privilege to work with wonderful students for many years. Due to low salaries which are disparate across departments (and not many opportunities to move up), it's hard to see making this a long term situation.
Temporary position
Interviewer, CSRL, Department of Biostatistics (Former Employee), Chapel Hill, NCMarch 13, 2014
Pros: enjoyable
Cons: temperary
I enjoyed the short period of time i did work there. It was for a call center. You have to have good communication skills as well as multitasking skills. It was at night time and worked well with my schedule.
Excellent environment for graduate study
Graduate Student (Former Employee), Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 23, 2014
UNC-Chapel Hill is an ideal environment for graduate students.
Graduate Student
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Chapel Hill, NCDecember 9, 2013
The University of North Carolina has a great graduate program. Nice college town to go to graduate school.
Fun opportunity.
Temporary Research Assistant (Former Employee), Chapel Hill, NCNovember 21, 2013
Pros: work schedule.
Cons: inconsistent hours.
Traveling to prisons to recruit inmates and making visits to complete interviews. Great co-workers, always willing to help me when I first started to get better at my job.
Fun college atmosphere
Groundskeeper (Former Employee), Chapel Hill, NCOctober 7, 2013
Great group of co-workers and a very enjoyable work atmosphere.
Great academic environment
Graduate Study (Former Employee), Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 29, 2013
Cutting edge science institution with many opportunities to build interdisciplinary research programs due to the strength of the faculty.
Slow Paced Academia
Flow Cytometry Research Specialist (Former Employee), Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 17, 2013
The environment wasn't as fast paced as I was hoping. There was not enough work to go around and it did not feel like everyone in the group was working as a team.
Collaborative, flexible environment.
Statistician (Former Employee), Chapel Hill, NCAugust 14, 2013
Pros: flexibility. staff encouraged to take/attend courses for career development.
Cons: very large and decentralized. experience varies a lot with supervisor/manager and team.
Great research, challenging work and friendly staff. University benefits are great but state budget cuts created some challenges.
Rah Rah Carolina-lina!
Human Resources Facilitator Assistant (Former Employee), Chapel Hill, NCJuly 31, 2013
After graduating from UNC, I was fortunate enough to attain a job with my alma mater. It was amazing to still be on campus and enjoy the city of Chapel Hill. The position was my first taste at a "real job" and I gained some useful payroll experience.
Great place to work while going to school.
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Chapel Hill, NCMay 29, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, great experience, and comparable pay.
Cons: no real cons.
I participated in research the last two years of my college career. It was a fun and exciting opportunity. I was able to learn a lot and gain some valuable experience.
Excellent opportunity to use and increase my technical skills in Research Computing applications
Graduate Student Assistant Research Scientist (Current Employee), Chapel Hill, NCMay 25, 2013
Wonderful management, personal development environment both technically and in client management.