UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA WILMINGTON Employee Reviews

Great faculty
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJuly 11, 2017
A great university for growth. Faculty was always available to help, and the department was always willing to give adjunct faculty many opportunities.
Great place to work.
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJuly 10, 2017
The University of North Carolina Wilmington is a great place to work. There is a feeling of nurturing for both the students and employees. The management if genuine and caring.
Supportive staff and faculty
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJune 12, 2017
Great employer, would love to stay. Supervisors were kind and supportive, many opportunities to advance both personally and professionally. Great location too -- can't beat the beach!
Beautiful location - doesn't make up for the lower pay
Assistant Director, Student Achievement Services (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJune 6, 2017
When I got the call for a campus interview I had to look up Wilmington on the map. I had no idea the place was so famous for its location until I actually arrived. The campus is beautiful, and the green spaces are jealously preserved. The people are just as lovely. The work culture is one of getting things done well and on time but I never felt the extreme press of overworking to meet deadlines. Colleagues eat lunch together and hold departmental events. Communication up hierarchal lines is fairly easy; even as a program coordinator, I spoke regularly with vice-chancellors. The financial compensation was a bit low and the cost of living is high in this tourist/retirement community. When I commented on this once I was told that the University counts on the intangible benefit of living so close to the beach to make up for it.
Pros
Excellent work environment
Cons
Poor city infrastructure
Experience and Opportunity
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCApril 18, 2017
Going to school at UNCW, I was given the chance to work with some of my professors to gain more experience on teaching and working in research. Those who want to gain priceless experience need to talk with their professors about volunteering to assist in their research.
Referee
Referee (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCApril 5, 2017
If you love sports, you would love to referee, its fun, you get to make the game flow how you want to, there is a lot of running but there is always a plus side to that.
Student Teaching Assistant (non-employed)
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMarch 28, 2017
This opportunity provided me with great experience going into my graduate assistantship at Miami University. The professors allowed me to teach as an undergraduate student which is a very rare opportunity.
Creative, excellent
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMarch 8, 2017
Great place to work. Great, friendly, smart managers. Work culture is positive, efficient, and warm. Lots of career development if you seek it out. Good equipment.
Beneficial to what I want to do in the future.
Mathematics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJanuary 11, 2017
As a Statistical Research Consultant, I got the opportunity to work on various projects using coding programs, SAS, R and SPSS. I see myself as a Data Scientist/Analyst working with large datasets. I was able to build my statistical knowledge by working on various projects. The hardest part of this job was contacting and receiving responses for the clients I was working with. I worked with two other classmates which provided support when one of us had a question about a project.
Enjoyed working with my co-workers.
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCDecember 8, 2016
Do your job and you were typically not bothered.
Management was okay, didn't bother you as long as you did your job.
Co-workers were mostly nice.
Fun and interactive staff. Great enviroment
Campus Recreation Professional Staff Intern (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMarch 14, 2016
As an intern at Campus Recreation I was given a special project to complete over the course of 3 months. I am in charge of fitness inventory and reviewing pricing. I work in the fitness suite mainly and the staff is fun and makes a long work day fly by. All of the professional staff has made me feel at home.
community-minded culture
Global Liaison (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJanuary 10, 2016
Everyone is very friendly and supportive. Good work is lauded and creative work is encouraged. I have a lot of freedom to execute on my own ideas.
Pros
beautiful campus
Cons
Area can be costly to lie in
Excellent Location with an amazing athletic department staff
Assistant Softball Coach (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCAugust 6, 2015
University of North Carolina is an incredible place to work. With a location miles from the beach, you can't beat it. The athletic staff is amazing to work with on a daily basis.
Fun place to work always learning and doing new exciting functions
Events and Stewardship Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJanuary 4, 2015
A typical day at work involves paper work and preparing for an event.
Excellent educational opportunity
Student (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCDecember 26, 2014
The University of North Carolina Wilmington provided me with an excellent education through the use of different exercises and teaching instruction techniques. I very much enjoyed the time I spent at this University interacting with new people and groups each and every day.
Tours of Campus
Campus Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCOctober 8, 2014
I would conduct groups of 5-25 people around the University of North Carolina Wilmington's campus (the largest contiguous campus in the UNC system) while answering their questions and trying to convince them to attend UNCW.
Pros
Free t-shirts
Cons
No potential for advancement
Good Place to work
Administrative Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCSeptember 12, 2014
Good Place to work. Hard to advance or ever get a raise/promotion
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Low Pay
Great Place to Work
Organic Chemistry Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCApril 21, 2014
Always loved going to work everyday. I learned a lot about communication and making sure things were done in a timely and efficient manner. The hardest part of the job was having to grade a bunch of lab reports. I love seeing my students understand and learn the material.
Great and Fun Place to Work
Technology Assistance Center Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMarch 14, 2014
This is a great place to work with great people. I had a lot of fun working with students, staff and faculty
Pros
Great people, great challenge
Cons
public-school pay
Beautiful campus
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCOctober 29, 2013
Beautiful place to work
Benefits are good not excellent
Pay is low
Pros
campus beauty
Cons
low pay