University of North Carolina Employee Reviews

Productive , great atmosphere and fun
Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCDecember 11, 2017
A typical day at work included preparing meals for students and making sure you followed guidelines to serve safe food. Management didn't sit in their office all day like most they actually worked and help the team . I really enjoyed the atmosphere there and different people I got to meet
Pros
You could move up in the company quickly
Cons
Busy
Productive and conducive workplace
Laboratory Technologist (Former Employee) –  Kanyama first Level HospitalDecember 11, 2017
It is well organised as all departments are well managed by good, hardworking , and dedicated people thus making the whole organization productive and conducive work place
Pros
Free transport when taking samples to UTH
I was a full-time student as a Major on scholarship from NSA
Student (Former Employee) –  University of North Carolina, CharlotteDecember 8, 2017
I attended UNCC on an Information Assurance Scholarship Program scholarship full-time as a Major in the US Air Force, so I did not actually work at this university, however attending the university was my full-time job.
Job description
Information Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pembroke, NCNovember 20, 2017
Typical day at work is balanced, staff is wonderful to work with very family oriented. Management is great very helpful and mature. Culture is pretty dry
Asheville, Residence Life Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCNovember 12, 2017
Enjoyed working at UNCA, however, I believe the school is only an employment place for short term employees,not for people with families and interests outside the school.
Pros
Great work experience
Cons
not for people with interests outside of school
Teaching Assistant
Charlotte, Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 9, 2017
20 hours a week grading homework assignments. Very relaxed pace. Great opportunity for current students to earn some extra money. Work at your own pace.
No comment
Medical Assistant Registered (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCNovember 7, 2017
University of North Carolina is an ok place to work but cannot find a position or facility without having a long, really long commute. Really enjoy working with the population.
great crew program
Novice Crew Coach (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCNovember 6, 2017
It's not everyday that you get to be taught by an Olympic quality coach but that's what the Tar heels received during my time working there under fellow coach Micah Boyd.
Great environment and academic atmosphere to work in.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCNovember 5, 2017
Firstly, it is a great university and academic center. Research related work is always a great benefit to your resume and the managers are generally very easy going, approachable and understanding. By nature most of the work tend to be unsupervised (as you are expected to know and have your knowledge base already in place) but are always there for questions.

The environment is of one that I most desire; surrounded by academics and researchers where I feel most at home.
Pros
Academic, relaxed atmosphere, great benefits as being a state university, great time off
Cons
Pay could be more.
Great experience with North Carolina grants and public beach information
Coastal Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCNovember 3, 2017
I enjoyed working the coastline of North Carolina and learning the improvements beach goers wanted. The experience gave me knowledge of improvements needed to be made and the opportunity to discuss and educate the public about changes that CAN be made. I was not micro-managed and was treated beyond fairly. I was fully compensated for extra travel and felt appreciated.
Pros
Flexible work schedule, not micro-managed, laid back
Good environment
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCOctober 25, 2017
Great experience in academia. Good seminars, trainings, etc. HR is a bit slow in the application process, but it is a good place to work. Employees are well cared for.
From the Prospective of a Slave, aka GRA
Graduate Research Assistant | School of Dentistry (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCOctober 16, 2017
- it is what it is: low paying student slave work (graduate research assistant)
- depends on supervisor/professor
- research can be interesting
- have to deal with the academic types
Pros
look forward to that tax return money
Cons
the reason you're get tax return money is cuz youre poor
This was the first time I had worked a a Big University and it was wonderful.
Epic Credentialed Trainer (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaOctober 14, 2017
I worked in all aspects of this university training physicians and surgeons. I also was asked to spend time in the newborn nursery and the NICU to help with the nurse training, since this had been one of my strengths from my former career.
Pros
Big University
Cons
Many many buildings and a lot of walking
Disappointed.
Visual Arts Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCOctober 4, 2017
I was laid off at year 17+ so am really disenchanted with UNC School of Nursing at the time. Had just gotten new dean of couple of months. Believe more time should have been dedicated to learning existing employees before dismissing/reorganizing.
Great Work study job
Lab Prep Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 30, 2017
I loved working at UNC Chapel Hill's Chem labs. It was a very relaxed environment. They understood we were students and had classes and exam we needed to focus on as well as work.
Program Assistant
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 26, 2017
It is a very laid back and fun job opportunity. As a team we set up events for potential international students to come and visit the University of Charlotte. Job work balance is great and flexible. For a part time job the pay is decent. The only thing that I dislike that each event is on a month to month basis which means that if we don't have a event the following month, you won't be working. Which means no pay. Other than that, very enjoyable experience so far. Highly recommend if you need an extra job!
Pros
Meeting people from different cultures, work life balance flexible
Cons
Only paid for on a month to month basis. Pay is not too high but not bad either
Experience at UNC Charlotte
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 25, 2017
I worked in the office of the Provost as a graduate student assistant.
Managing front office and other duties like scanning, creating files and reports in MS EXCEL.
Stay far away!
Planning Administrator/Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 21, 2017
Management at the University is extremely poor. they seem to have no concept of how to ethically spend the public's money. When one budget is over-spent, money is somehow always found from some "special" fund. Employment practices are horrendous! People are on staff, and have been for many years, who do nothing. They go weeks without coming to work. Management encourages an extremely cut-throat environment, and do not follow its own policies. the entire management staff, from the Chancellor down to the Assistant Vice Chancellors, should be fired.
Productive, Exciting, Educational
Athletic Communications Intern (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 20, 2017
The culture at North Carolina is spot on. Everybody works hard at serving others, and puts your needs in front of their own. In my 18-plus years of working, that has been the best work environment I have ever been part of.
Pros
Free dinners, Student-Athletes, Leadership, Alums
Cons
Work was heavy. workers let go for no reason- non caring
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 18, 2017
Management was swayed and told what to do, no matter if it was ethical. UNC had a front as known to be innovative but at the root it was wicked.
Management wanted you to get certified and that was good.
Management started to "get rid " of older workers with no degrees.