University of North Carolina Employee Reviews

Flexible work enviornment
University Administrator (Zone Manager) (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCNovember 3, 2016
I like it here at UNC. the job itself is fairly easy as long as you stay up on your paperwork. I have learn to be more patient with people due to the variety in nationalities and the age group in which I supervise. My supervisor is a good guy and is understanding as long as you communicate with him. my co-workers are a great team and do not mind helping when it is needed. The hardest pat of my job is dealing with the different personalities. One of the most enjoyable parts of my job is being able to get my employees together to have a celebration to help raise moral.
Lot has changed in 6 years
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  School of DentistryAugust 12, 2016
The department I worked in, the director and my co worker, I felt, felt some type of way about me. I am a black woman and I was treated differently by those two and the residents. I was judge way too harshly and felt bullied. The director I felt was trying to break me down.
As a previous employee, I was so eager to go back and finish my career there and then to be treated that way put a bad taste in my mouth for UNC. I do not recommend working there if you have color to your skin and have a voice.
Pros
Benefits, retirement
Cons
Managment, parking
Large university
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chapel hill, ncNovember 14, 2016
There are always benefits and inconveniences with a large university. Job security is high but work culture is not the strongest. Turnover is low for administrative positions so it seems one could work there a number of years and retire safely.
Pros
Free classes
Cons
No parking
Great Learning Experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 28, 2016
I have been working with the computer science department at UNC Charlotte as a teaching assistant for almost a year now. It has been a great ride so far. You get to learn many things along with a decent compensation and relatively less workload.
Pros
Decent Compensation
Cons
Politics
Wonderful place to work
Community Director (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 16, 2016
UNC-Chapel Hill is a great place to work with intelligent and caring colleagues and leaders. For me the geographic area was not a great fit, but I value my experience and learned more at UNC in a year than in any other experience to date.
Pros
Intelligent, moderate pace environment with great benefits
Cons
Major events impacting the university
Productive place to work
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  United StatesJuly 26, 2016
The university has good benefits including fitness opportunities. However the pay is lower in comparison to positions in the industry. It is still a decent place to work.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Low salary compared to industry
RN's need a union
operating room staff nurse (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 2, 2016
don't work at duke or unc. leave the state, go earn make real money elsewhere. go union maybe california? blah blahl bhahaha akdlkfj daf daf
Pros
Cons
pay to park, expensive health care, low salary raises barely keeping with inflation
Great Environment, Fun to work
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 15, 2016
I am working as a Research Assistant at CCI and the overall experience is fun since I got to learn a lot. Fun Environment and great technical support.
Pros
Good Salary
Cons
None that i could think of
Excellent work environment
Vendor Coordinator - Finance Division (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCOctober 4, 2016
The people I work with at UNC provided a friendly work environment, the management was extremely helpful, and the hours were flexible. The only things I did not enjoy about UNC was the lack of training I received when first starting and how they used full time temporary employees as opposed to standard full time positions.
Great location and clients
Technology (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 9, 2016
Working to help educate is a wonderful thing. The campus environment is excellent; you can walk outside for a moment and there's often a unique energy when classes are in session. Recommend speaking with current employees when interviewing to get an idea of the current work environment for that department.
Amazing work experience
Undergraduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 11, 2016
Great experience for undergrads, I loved everything about it. Gained a lot of experience in my field and everyone was helpful and gave me a ton of great advice for my career.
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and UNC Health Care Medic
Human Resources Consultant (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 15, 2015
A new study analyzing the economic impact of UNC System institutions reveals the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and UNC Health Care Medical Center together added $7.1 billion to North Carolina’s economy in fiscal year 2013 – an amount representing nearly 100,000 jobs in the state.
Pros
North Carolina’s institutions of higher education add value to the state’s economy.
Cons
Compensation structure regulated by legislators
Innovative and supportive staff and faculty
Study Abroad Advisor (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCApril 30, 2015
The UNC Study Abroad Office works as part of a team of University education bodies providing internationalization initiatives for the UNC campus. Working with students to develop intercultural competence skills and high quality international education programming. The job is cyclical however, each semester brings it's own surprises be it new talent inspiring research abroad or a visa requirement that comes as a challenge but is always worked out. Working with adult learners and program development is a very rewarding career.
Pros
Benefits, Access to Lectures and the Arts, Public Transportation
Cons
Parking, Funding
Great and healthy atmosphere.
Fitness Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 1, 2016
My job duties include guiding the patrons how to work out, help them with minor and major issues, taking care of the fitness centre facilities.
The supervisors as well the co-workers are pretty helpful and friendly.
some great people to work with
Business and Technology Application Analyst (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 8, 2016
Hardest part of my job is seeing that some people are afraid of change but in IT change is a constant. I have had a lot of interaction with clients and love that aspect to work with diverse people.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 16, 2016
University offers excellent amenities and highly knowledgeable professors to guide students during masters. This role helps develop mentoring capabilities during graduation.
fun work place
Electronics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 16, 2016
it is enjoyable place to work. it is fully nice people around the campus and around facilities. only the bad things there is poor management. management bothering the employees trying to be show off.
Full of possibilities
Director of Staff Employment (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 14, 2016
UNC Charlotte is rich with opportunities to explore different things, whether it is music, arts, festival, or athletic events.There are many possibilities to stay culturally rich and informed.
Pros
Potential for diversity
Cons
Not enough administrative support
Small school with big potential
Visiting Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCAugust 29, 2016
Great location close to the beaches. Small department with big personalities. Visiting artist make for interesting production work. Great fitness center on campus.
Large and diverse institution with many bureaucratic obstacles
Teaching Assistant; Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 13, 2016
Difficult to assess objectively given my role as a doctoral student researcher and teaching assistant. The most difficult problem facing researchers in this position is the institutionalized hierarchy and corresponding disempowerment to make the decisions necessary to advance research in the best possible ways.

University of North Carolina Reviews by Location