University of North Carolina Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Stay far away!
Planning Administrator/Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 21, 2017
Management at the University is extremely poor. they seem to have no concept of how to ethically spend the public's money. When one budget is over-spent, money is somehow always found from some "special" fund. Employment practices are horrendous! People are on staff, and have been for many years, who do nothing. They go weeks without coming to work. Management encourages an extremely cut-throat environment, and do not follow its own policies. the entire management staff, from the Chancellor down to the Assistant Vice Chancellors, should be fired.
Productive, Exciting, Educational
Athletic Communications Intern (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 20, 2017
The culture at North Carolina is spot on. Everybody works hard at serving others, and puts your needs in front of their own. In my 18-plus years of working, that has been the best work environment I have ever been part of.
Pros
Free dinners, Student-Athletes, Leadership, Alums
Cons
Work was heavy. workers let go for no reason- non caring
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 18, 2017
Management was swayed and told what to do, no matter if it was ethical. UNC had a front as known to be innovative but at the root it was wicked.
Management wanted you to get certified and that was good.
Management started to "get rid " of older workers with no degrees.
Good learning environment
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 10, 2017
Good learning environment. Advice and help from the faculty members. The University provides many opportunities to learn from different kinds of courses, and the library is a great resource.
Excellent place to work
Assistant Football Coach (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 7, 2017
One of the best schools in the country to work for when I was there. Great academic and athletic setting when I was there. Administration is very good. Culture is one of the best.
Excellent company for unskilled positions
Dietetic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 25, 2017
The most enjoyable part of this job was serving people and helping make their time at UNC Hospitals more enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was dealing with angry patients.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Long hours and very physical
A chance to get paid while earning an advanced degree
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 22, 2017
I worked in this capacity a long time ago so I hesitate to say anything too specific: the chance to earn a stipend while teaching undergraduates was a privilege and an honor even if many of us in the Department of Communication did not have undergraduate degrees in Communication ourselves... which could lead to a feeling that the undergraduates were possibly being shortchanged in their education at UNC Chapel Hill.
Pros
Stimulating work environment and teaching experience
Cons
Low pay and requirement to teach subject matter beyond one's expertise.
Overall, Good Teaching Experience
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 9, 2017
Overall, A good work experience. However, not always a lot of guidance on what to do. The professors are usually helpful, but much of time, a TA has to learn on the job.
Very productive and satisfying work
Heatlh Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 7, 2017
UNC is a productive and fun place to work. In my past experience, I was given independence to manage my projects with flexibility and trust. A typical day at work was managing state wide projects, training, or meeting with collaborators. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I felt I was making a difference; I enjoyed working with professionals in the community and the diversity of tasks I facilitated. The flexibility in my work schedule was great. I had the opportunity to change policy. I
Pros
Flexibility, meeting with collaborators, indepence
Cons
not the best healthcare benefits
I loved working and studying here
Systems/Network Administrator, Student (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 29, 2017
Beautiful campus, smart, interesting, open and caring people to work with, intellectually stimulating, endless opportunities to learn and contribute. Would live to work here again someday.
Business Officer, Finance Division (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 21, 2017
As a temporary employee of the University you do not receive medical benefits, paid holidays or vacation time and little effort is made to create permanent positions.
met and worked with great people
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 21, 2017
Able to take classes to help improve job skills while working was very beneficial. Workings with students of different backgrounds and ethnicity helped social awareness.
Pros
paid days off and sick pay
Cons
some days were slow and unproductive
Amazing learning experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 19, 2017
It was pleasant experience working as a Research Assistant. Enjoyed the work & had a great learning experience. The instructions were clear and precise to the point
First job out of undergrad was a good launching point.
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 15, 2017
I enjoyed my time as a research technician at UNC-CH at the Lineberger Cancer Center. This was my first job out of undergrad, and I learned a lot on the job that prepared me for a Ph.D. graduate program. The benefits of being a state employee and eligible for overtime were very nice at the time. In a lab setting, I was never certain of what my options were for advancement. I'm certain that I performed more duties than were expected of a technician and more in line with a lab manger's duties. Nevertheless, I did not stay very long because I decided to get a Ph.D. since a B.S. degree can leave little room for career growth in academia.
Pros
Overtime pay, flexible schedule, great coworkers, retirement fund, training in multiple disciplines, free buses
Cons
No bonus or raise. Wish salary was higher to accommodate cost of living in area.
Productive workplace with professors. Regular guidance and assistance.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJune 15, 2017
Working with the professors with their research projects has helped me and other chemistry students apply the lab techniques that we had learned and given us a feel for where to take our analysis.
Pros
Excellent intel from professors for refining our methods. Flexible meeting schedules
Cons
Limited meeting time limits. Deadlines towards our thesis works
decent work place
Night Time Security Assistant (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJune 12, 2017
This job consists of simple work with good coworkers. Student job specifically and the hours are difficult but I recommend it for anyone who has late night classes.
Pros and Cons
COURSE MANAGER (ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT SPECIALIST) (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 8, 2017
Worked as a temporary employee for 2 years, hoping to be made permanent. Instead, the job was reclassified and posted for the public to apply. My experience with the job was fantastic and I had hoped it would be a career, but alas it was not. The instability and lack of benefits were the only cons. The overall environment was good and depending on what division you are in, the pros outweigh the cons if you can find something permanent.
Typical Adjunct experience
Asheville Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJune 2, 2017
Nice people, fun work, friendly students (and even some passionate ones!) - but typical drawbacks. Low pay, no benefits. If you want to gain teaching experience, it's great.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Little direction, no benefits
Excellent place for UNC Students to work
CMSP Student Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 19, 2017
The management style is generally laid back which has both benefits and drawbacks. While employees have a lot of freedom sometimes they complain that there is not a lot of guidance. Overall, I learned a lot and it was a great place for students to work.
UNC is a top tier institution
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 11, 2017
Grad school at UNC was suberb! There were so many labs to choose from and all of the professors there are top notch. The work week is usually not more than 40 hrs and weekends and holidays are cherished. They pay according to the NIH guidelines and there is a real family feel to it with your coworkers/managers. Once you get in to UNC, you are family and you will succeed!
Pros
High Impact University, cutting edge research
Cons
Hyper-competitive productivity required