University of North Carolina Employee Reviews

met and worked with great people
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 21, 2017
Able to take classes to help improve job skills while working was very beneficial. Workings with students of different backgrounds and ethnicity helped social awareness.
Pros
paid days off and sick pay
Cons
some days were slow and unproductive
Amazing learning experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 19, 2017
It was pleasant experience working as a Research Assistant. Enjoyed the work & had a great learning experience. The instructions were clear and precise to the point
First job out of undergrad was a good launching point.
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 15, 2017
I enjoyed my time as a research technician at UNC-CH at the Lineberger Cancer Center. This was my first job out of undergrad, and I learned a lot on the job that prepared me for a Ph.D. graduate program. The benefits of being a state employee and eligible for overtime were very nice at the time. In a lab setting, I was never certain of what my options were for advancement. I'm certain that I performed more duties than were expected of a technician and more in line with a lab manger's duties. Nevertheless, I did not stay very long because I decided to get a Ph.D. since a B.S. degree can leave little room for career growth in academia.
Pros
Overtime pay, flexible schedule, great coworkers, retirement fund, training in multiple disciplines, free buses
Cons
No bonus or raise. Wish salary was higher to accommodate cost of living in area.
Productive workplace with professors. Regular guidance and assistance.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJune 15, 2017
Working with the professors with their research projects has helped me and other chemistry students apply the lab techniques that we had learned and given us a feel for where to take our analysis.
Pros
Excellent intel from professors for refining our methods. Flexible meeting schedules
Cons
Limited meeting time limits. Deadlines towards our thesis works
decent work place
Night Time Security Assistant (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJune 12, 2017
This job consists of simple work with good coworkers. Student job specifically and the hours are difficult but I recommend it for anyone who has late night classes.
Pros and Cons
COURSE MANAGER (ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT SPECIALIST) (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 8, 2017
Worked as a temporary employee for 2 years, hoping to be made permanent. Instead, the job was reclassified and posted for the public to apply. My experience with the job was fantastic and I had hoped it would be a career, but alas it was not. The instability and lack of benefits were the only cons. The overall environment was good and depending on what division you are in, the pros outweigh the cons if you can find something permanent.
Typical Adjunct experience
Asheville Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJune 2, 2017
Nice people, fun work, friendly students (and even some passionate ones!) - but typical drawbacks. Low pay, no benefits. If you want to gain teaching experience, it's great.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Little direction, no benefits
Excellent place for UNC Students to work
CMSP Student Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 19, 2017
The management style is generally laid back which has both benefits and drawbacks. While employees have a lot of freedom sometimes they complain that there is not a lot of guidance. Overall, I learned a lot and it was a great place for students to work.
UNC is a top tier institution
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 11, 2017
Grad school at UNC was suberb! There were so many labs to choose from and all of the professors there are top notch. The work week is usually not more than 40 hrs and weekends and holidays are cherished. They pay according to the NIH guidelines and there is a real family feel to it with your coworkers/managers. Once you get in to UNC, you are family and you will succeed!
Pros
High Impact University, cutting edge research
Cons
Hyper-competitive productivity required
Wonderful shadowing experience
Shadowing (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 7, 2017
I had a wonderful experience shadowing at UNC. Everyone I talked to was open to teaching me about what they were doing and why. Nurses and physicians were excited about showing me their role in the hospital and I felt motivated.
Fun Workplace, Great Experience to higher level football programs
Student Equipment Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 3, 2017
I would begin the day by following a script and setting up the field with various types of equipment. I would then be around a position coach to help him coach the players or do as he wanted to help him with a drill. I would end the day with doing laundry for the players and staff. I think traveling is the best part of the job, we got to be inside of the Philadelphia Eagles stadium.
Pros
Coach Experience
Cons
Pay was below average
Great place and work experience
SAS Programmer (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCApril 20, 2017
a good place to work and very clean building. Fast base. Is highly respected by employees for sharing concerns, problems, and opportunities. It's great to be part of something larger than just selling advertising. Helping People get jobs is very rewarding and provides great satisfaction on a daily basis.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
I just did this
Cash Register Attendant (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 4, 2017
It's making me write this review twice. I dont even remember what I typed the first time. I barely remember working here as it is. THis is mad annoying yo.
Good Workplace
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaApril 4, 2017
You get a lot to learn from the professors and the students.Timings are flexible. Scope to learn different topics.Professors are very resourceful and helpful.
Outstanding Work Environment/Chance to Influence North Carolina College System as a GA
Charlotte, Office of Assessment and Accreditation (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 29, 2017
My time here has been outstanding. I have done research, analysis, and created material that will dramatically impact education at UNCC. I am conducting meetings with the heads of the departments of the entire school, setting new standards and precedents that will benefit current and future students.
Unc
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMarch 29, 2017
It was an OK place to work. Leadership is some departments did not always listen to their staff's opinions, but overall an OK place to work. There are really good people that work there.
Love It All
Dental Equipment Technician (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMarch 27, 2017
Typically, I wrap cassettes filled with dental instruments. I ensure that none of them are broken, and place them in an established order. I have learned the value of teamwork in a small group setting, and how to see progress even when a workload seems daunting. The management, though often rotation, is quite strong, and is always encouraging and providing feedback. The hardest part of the job is that there is always a mountain of work to be done. The most enjoyable part of the job is that everyone is very warm and inviting. There is also almost always an event happening, so food is around more often than not.
Pros
Food; good management; good work hours
Cons
Heavy work load
Ta at unc
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMarch 23, 2017
I work as a TA (grader) at UNC STOR department. It usually tooks 8 hours per week to grade all the homework. Professors are nice. I enjoy the experience.
it was satisfactory in terms of teaching me the techniques of becoming a floor care tech
Floor Technician/Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMarch 17, 2017
they paid once a month and the management was not as good as it could have been, they were not understanding when it came to family issues and I feel they could have been more compassionate towards its employees
Cons
horrible management
productive work environment
PROJECT MANAGER / RESEARCH ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMarch 8, 2017
The University of North Carolina provides a great work environment. Management is honest and communicative. Talented and committed health researchers add to what the organization stands for.