University of North Carolina Employee Reviews

A very family like work environment with all the good and not so good parts of being in a family
Social Clinical Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsboro, NCJanuary 26, 2016
While working for the University of North Carolina, I worked one on one with clients that were previously diagnosed with a variety of intellectual disabilities, specializing specifically with autism disorder. I got to know my co-workers and clients very well and even still, I maintain communication with them as often as I can. Working at the Carolina Living and Learning Center, I learned a great deal of what it means to be an individual and that just like any neurotypical thinking person, individuals with autism have specific needs, likes, dislikes, hobbies, fears, and passions just the same as any one else. It is just the details that we focus on that makes us individuals in the first place. The biggest challenge in being in this field of work would have to be the occasional violent outbursts from the clients. It is typically easy to tell if these outbursts are about to happen just by observing usual signs of aggressive behavior, but there have been a few times where the outbursts resulted in me being momentarily hospitalized. All in all, there was never a dull moment working at this facility and I would't trade the experience for anything.
Pros
Building strong relationships with the clients as well as staff.
Cons
Dealing with occasional violent outbursts.Some that even resulted in me being hospitalized.
Awesome place
Office of Student Affairs, Major Gift Officer (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 26, 2016
UNC is a great place. I am blessed to have worked at my Alma mater and represent the University.

The University supported me through some very personal times and I will be forever grateful.

I am proud to be an Alum.
good university
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 17, 2016
The job is quite interesting. my responsibility is to teach Statistics, Calculus and Algebra to the undergraduate students and
grade the students based on exams and class performance. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the students
golf course maintenance
golf course maintenance (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCDecember 29, 2015
general care and maintenance of the golf course, which included, but was not limited to; landscaping, sodding greens,fairways, tees, and rough areas.
Pros
receiving free season tickets to football and basketball games
Cons
working outside during the winter
wonderful
Special Event Office Asst (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCDecember 11, 2015
I was a retired UNC Chapel Hill employee. I began working for UNC again for the Department of Transportation and Parking. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-workers and customer service.
UNC is Awesome
GRAPHIC/WEB DESIGNER (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCDecember 1, 2015
Great place to work! Good people with a vested interest in their community and lots of educational opportunities for those who are interested in improving themselves.
It's fine
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCNovember 12, 2015
Annoying that I can't get a parking pass but buses are free. I work for a professor not the university. Postdocs get their health coverage paid for by the professor (as long as you don't have dependents).
most enjoyable part of the job
Teaching Assistant for Big Data Analytics (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 11, 2015
I enjoy listening to Dr.Z's classes and also enjoy reading student's point of view on Big data . Also, what i enjoy the most is learning from them multiple ways to solve each problem
Pros
friendly environment
a fair place for full time faculty
Program chair/faculty (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCNovember 4, 2015
as a place to work for full time faculty it was a fairly decent place to work aside from all the inter program drama. a terrific arts conservatory environment.
Pros
nice arts culture and great students
Cons
too much inter-program fighting
Remote Research
Research Intern (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCOctober 5, 2015
I actually did my research remotely from Howard University. So, I cannot explain anything about the work environment since I worked from home.
For being an RA it was okay
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 29, 2015
Being an RA is hard but worth it. Sometimes you have to wake up at 3 am to let in someone who locked themselves out. But sometimes you don't do anything.
Full of challenges and excitement
Research Assistant professor (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 23, 2015
Fun and well learning research experience in UNC. Wonderful co-workers and talented students. The most enjoyable part is can always find expertise in the area I am going to touch. A good research environment for collaborations.
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and UNC Health Care Medic
Human Resources Consultant (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 15, 2015
A new study analyzing the economic impact of UNC System institutions reveals the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and UNC Health Care Medical Center together added $7.1 billion to North Carolina’s economy in fiscal year 2013 – an amount representing nearly 100,000 jobs in the state.
Pros
North Carolina’s institutions of higher education add value to the state’s economy.
Cons
Compensation structure regulated by legislators
Great
Functional Lead (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 3, 2015
Great place to work. nice colleagues. Contributed and Learnt a lot.
• Work on Implementation, Design, Development and validation of PeopleSoft Enterprise performance management (EPM) with Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition (OBIEE) and Custom built UNC data warehouse based on SAS Data Integration tool with SAS Visual Analytics reporting tool and Custom Infoporte PHP based reporting tool.
• Work closely with analysts in analysis and design phase for the PeopleSoft EPM v9.1 Warehouse, OBIEE marts and subject areas, UNC Custom built data warehouse and SAS VA reports.
• Evaluate the delivered Data Mart structures, assess the currently used reports from the user community (PS Query and other tools), and articulate clearly verbally and in written form the requirements and possible design approaches.
Felt like a family
Commercial Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Chapel HillAugust 24, 2015
I loved working for them. The bosses and peers were fantastic. Hard work which was very fulfilling. I enjoyed seeing my fellow employees and bosses.
Pros
Great bunch of people to work for and with
Cons
late night work
Good place to study and research
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 6, 2015
The University of North Carolina is a good place to study and learn. The department of mathematics was very encouraging for student research and development.
College Professor
Senior Instructor (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 17, 2015
Teach classes to 200 Cadets. Training, mentoring and leading them to be the very best they can be to become future Army Officers.
Graduate Assistant UNCW
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJune 29, 2015
Working and being a student at UNCW is a great opportunity. I love getting a chance to work with the students and provide them with tutoring. All of the students are very polite and friendly.The University is very supportive for various types of learning activities and provides great mentorship for independent learning.
Enjoyabe Environment
Windows System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 27, 2015
Great teamwork and partnership to get the job done.Infrastructure is a bit weak as well as too much politics, but what do you want from a state job
Innovative and supportive staff and faculty
Study Abroad Advisor (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCApril 30, 2015
The UNC Study Abroad Office works as part of a team of University education bodies providing internationalization initiatives for the UNC campus. Working with students to develop intercultural competence skills and high quality international education programming. The job is cyclical however, each semester brings it's own surprises be it new talent inspiring research abroad or a visa requirement that comes as a challenge but is always worked out. Working with adult learners and program development is a very rewarding career.
Pros
Benefits, Access to Lectures and the Arts, Public Transportation
Cons
Parking, Funding

4.3