University of North Carolina Employee Reviews

A very family like work environment with all the good and not so good parts of being in a family
Social Clinical Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsboro, NCJanuary 26, 2016
While working for the University of North Carolina, I worked one on one with clients that were previously diagnosed with a variety of intellectual disabilities, specializing specifically with autism disorder. I got to know my co-workers and clients very well and even still, I maintain communication with them as often as I can. Working at the Carolina Living and Learning Center, I learned a great deal of what it means to be an individual and that just like any neurotypical thinking person, individuals with autism have specific needs, likes, dislikes, hobbies, fears, and passions just the same as any one else. It is just the details that we focus on that makes us individuals in the first place. The biggest challenge in being in this field of work would have to be the occasional violent outbursts from the clients. It is typically easy to tell if these outbursts are about to happen just by observing usual signs of aggressive behavior, but there have been a few times where the outbursts resulted in me being momentarily hospitalized. All in all, there was never a dull moment working at this facility and I would't trade the experience for anything.
Pros
Building strong relationships with the clients as well as staff.
Cons
Dealing with occasional violent outbursts.Some that even resulted in me being hospitalized.
Grass roots research that leads to new and exciting opportunities.
Research Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMarch 6, 2014
Research oriented position where I was responsible for synthesizing compounds of need for other researchers within the group. I was also responsible for increasing the production of brevenal, a compound that has potential as a treatment for Cystic fibrosis and is in preclinical studies. Brevenal is a natural product synthesized by the marine dinoflagellate Karenia brevis (more familiar as the organism responsible for red tides in Florida). The organism is currently grown in 10L batches and I was able to increase the batch size to around 200L. From this work, I learned patience, as the cultures take a long time to grow. I had a lot of support from coworkers as they have been working with this organism for many years.
During the synthetic stage of my work, I had to purify the compounds for the end users. This usually involved using HPLC techniques and many of the instruments were old. These often had to be repaired, so I also learned how to dismantle the instrument, remedy the problem and put it back together.
The varied experiences are my favorite part of the job, but the lack of stability in the funding is the hardest part.
Strength and Conditioning Internship
Strength and Conditioning Intern (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 22, 2013
On a typical day I would start setting up the weight room for the wrestlers at 8:30am. Then, from 9- 10:30, I worked alongside my mentor, overseeing and coaching the team through their workout. After the team left I would clean up the gym. This included reorganizing weights and equipment, restocking the fridges, and disinfecting the area they used. When that was done I would complete any tasks that the weight training coaches needed. Some of these tasks included writing up workouts, filling in or analyzing athlete spreadsheets, editing example videos for the training database, and working the front desk. My days would end with informational session with my mentor regarding what I learned each day and how I could improve my leadership/teaching abilities when dealing with peers. He allowed me to ask any questions I had at this time everyday. It was a great learning experience and taught me much more than just how to run a lifting session.
UNC is a good place to work
Business Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 19, 2014
Organizing, coordinating and monitoring all non-clinical operations of the ACTT team including: managing medical records, Operating and coordinating the MIS system, maintaining and managing budget records, program expenditures, maintaining and tracking team performance data including client outcomes and producing reports. Actively participating in daily team meetings, assisting with organizational record keeping, and scheduling activities, providing and coordinating program information to potential clients and other mental health providers. Serving as the liaison between the Management Team and the clinical staff, which includes streamlining administrative tasks in order for the clinical staff to focus on their clinical responsibilities. Responsible for processing purchase requisitions, check requests and travel reimbursements. Also responsible for working with the Team Leader or other departmental administrative staff in preparing special reports by gathering, analyzing and interpreting information for presentation. S/he may, at times, be responsible for coordinating and/or participating in special projects, meetings or other events as requested.
Pros
flexible workplace
Cons
in the office by myself most of the time
Cashier, Customer Service Specialist
Outtakes - Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 21, 2015
A typical day at work for me would be to open the store, turn on the oven, count my drawer and keep record of the amount starting out restock drinks,groceries, and my day starts by serving customers. Working at this company, the experience i gained taught me how to manage a store, flexibility, dependable and learning how satisfy demanding customers needs. My management experience was great I received hands on training from my manager and within a few days i was accustomed to the environment and the products, prices and several names of the customers that often visited the store. My coworkers were team oriented and hardworking people towards me and which was a big reflection on the company. The hardest part of the job was moving on because my coworkers had build a professional relationship and we had a mutual respect for one another. The most enjoyable part of the job was customers coming back for the great service and a cheerful work environment.
Pros
free lunches and dinner, professional business parties/events
Cons
short breaks
An environment with professionals who are ready to add more to their knowledge
Epic OpTime/Anesthesia Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCApril 16, 2014
I worked Night shift in my first week and usually the night commences from 6pm and at such time Operation rooms were busy with Surgeons and Anesthetist practicing their specialties, and at every point I was at hand to give necessary guide to them on how to navigate through Epic to accomplish their tasks.

The Medical Intensive Unit was my next point of call where I equally lend necessary helping hands to residents and intern and medical student.

Working with all these thorough breed professionals was a pleasant moment, easy to interact with and friendly set of professionals.

I later worked with Neurologist in the Ambulatory clinic which was another set of experience with another set of professionals who are ready to work with Epic but with nostalgia attachment to their previous package.
UNC at Chapel Hill
Office Assistant IV (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 19, 2015
UNC is the most professional unique and interesting place I have ever worked. I gained vast computer experience and working in a exceptionally diverse fast paced environment. Everyone I worked with demonstrated such professionalism, it was such a pleasure working with them everyday. I was in a position directly interacting with UNC Officials, staff and students providing a constantly moving day of leaning and teaching. The Director Sam Odom; the Business and Finance manager Greg Burress, my direct supervisor, right on through the hundreds of FPG scientists, researchers, and others are the most fun and educational people I have ever known. I was put in a Reduction in Force status but I will always love and appreciate my time there.
Pros
it education
Rewarding Workplace
Senior Student Laboratory Manager (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 27, 2014
Being a Senior Student Lab Manager at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro was a truly rewarding experience. While employed with UNCG, I have learned a great deal about managing ITS labs, assisting undergraduates, and working to resolve issues with faculty and staff. A typical work day require any number of duties from giving tours of UNCG ITS Labs to newly matriculated freshman, to setting up and giving presentations in UNCG expos for incoming students to managing 50+ employees while making sure that all 12 ITS Labs were running smoothly.
Pros
working with clients, perfect balance between work and school
Cons
very busy times during the early fall and spring semesters
Excellent benefit package and work environment
Admin for Office of University Counsel (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 5, 2013
The office with somewhat flexible with the start time due to so many employee who commuted. I chose to begin my day at 8:30am with a thirty minute lunch and finishing work at 5:00pm. This office worked well together and was very cohesive. We had an office of approximately forty employees. Twenty attorneys and twenty full and part-time staff, paralegals, fellows and interns. There was no distinction made on your position we all worked as a team. We had weekly functions which included food and interaction.
Pros
great comraderie, good employees
Cons
short breaks, difficult to leave desk
Great
Functional Lead (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 3, 2015
Great place to work. nice colleagues. Contributed and Learnt a lot.
• Work on Implementation, Design, Development and validation of PeopleSoft Enterprise performance management (EPM) with Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition (OBIEE) and Custom built UNC data warehouse based on SAS Data Integration tool with SAS Visual Analytics reporting tool and Custom Infoporte PHP based reporting tool.
• Work closely with analysts in analysis and design phase for the PeopleSoft EPM v9.1 Warehouse, OBIEE marts and subject areas, UNC Custom built data warehouse and SAS VA reports.
• Evaluate the delivered Data Mart structures, assess the currently used reports from the user community (PS Query and other tools), and articulate clearly verbally and in written form the requirements and possible design approaches.
Innovative and supportive staff and faculty
Study Abroad Advisor (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCApril 30, 2015
The UNC Study Abroad Office works as part of a team of University education bodies providing internationalization initiatives for the UNC campus. Working with students to develop intercultural competence skills and high quality international education programming. The job is cyclical however, each semester brings it's own surprises be it new talent inspiring research abroad or a visa requirement that comes as a challenge but is always worked out. Working with adult learners and program development is a very rewarding career.
Pros
Benefits, Access to Lectures and the Arts, Public Transportation
Cons
Parking, Funding
Very serious lab enviroment but extremely informative and an amazing boss.
Lab/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCFebruary 21, 2015
A typical day would involve doing a round of maintenance and cleaning of the lab area. Followed by assigned project or procedure given to me by the boss. Learned many lab techniques. Only co-workers were other students, so it was comforting. The hardest part of the job was cleaning very small glass and plastic ware that were extremely crucial to the research. Most enjoyable part of the job was learning new procedures. The boss also allowed me to listen to music while I work, which made the time fly by.
Excellent Place to Work
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 27, 2014
This has been the best job I have ever had. The work environment is excellent: my coworkers are a TEAM and really help each other, and the management is supportive and flexible and always looking to help their staff grow and be successful. The job responsibilities are fun and stress-free, and it is fun to work with students and instructors.

The hardest part about this job for me is that I am looking for opportunities to grow and there isn't much movement in the department. I am looking for more responsibilities and opportunities to be in management and develop my skills while learning new ones.
Pros
flexible work schedule, excellent management and work environment
Cons
no opportunity for growth in the department
I have a great time working for this compay.
Attendant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 29, 2012
A typical day works smooth just like clock work i go in wash hands put on required uniform .I 1st get the breakfast food out and the turn on appliances and the get all of my cleaning buckets and stay busy clean serving until break and the day is over quick stays busy from the time you get there til you leav there always more to do and make the place and work go smooth.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
some of the customers are very rude mean
Educational, quite and enriching
Assistant Student Librarian (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 4, 2015
While at the Middle East Studies Library at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I directly assisted in the receiving, organization and transliteration of book shipments from Iran, Lebanon, Israel, and Egypt. This was also a rich source for my research and education in general. Not only did I assist in the aforementioned areas, but I also helped in building donor relations in order for The Middle East Studies Library.
Pros
using my arabic and persian languge skills
Cons
it was a student only position
Can work freely with amazing and forthcoming collegues
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  UNC Charlotte- Mechanical DepartmentJune 9, 2014
Teaching a class at UNC Charlotte is a fun filled time spent with the students. The best part of this job is to be able to associate with many Doctors, dean of college and other professors here at UNC Charlotte. Along with this some of the student's life experiences are amazing.
Pros
the place is amazing to work. a person is always there to lend a helping hand.
Cons
only one person controls the appointments and you are sure to get a job if you can please her.
Director of the Mind-Body Skills Program (Former Employee) –  Chapel HillApril 28, 2012
From 2008 to 2010 I worked regularly from 9 am to 5 pm mostly on the computer writing grants and papers. When needed I worked longer hours to accomplish with my duties.
I learned a great deal about research. My coworkers were very nice people most of the time. The most enjoyable part of my job was to facilitate mind-body skills groups for healthcare professionals and the general public
Pros
nothing to add
Cons
nothing to add
Okay workplace. just no benefits and have to take 31 days off once a year
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCFebruary 10, 2013
The University in a whole is okay to work for. I have just been passed over for several promotions in my department. so, i am looking elsewhere.
Pros
it's easy, most of the people i have enjoyed working with.
Cons
you get no benefits or raises and have to take 31 days off in a row once a year, they do this so they don't have to pay you any benefits.
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and UNC Health Care Medic
Human Resources Consultant (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 15, 2015
A new study analyzing the economic impact of UNC System institutions reveals the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and UNC Health Care Medical Center together added $7.1 billion to North Carolina’s economy in fiscal year 2013 – an amount representing nearly 100,000 jobs in the state.
Pros
North Carolina’s institutions of higher education add value to the state’s economy.
Cons
Compensation structure regulated by legislators
worked with personnel who were well educated and quite interesting and talented
Program Assistant, Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 6, 2014
positive experience, got to visit campus frequently, worked for Head of Public endowments who also served as head of CDC.
Co-workers were fun. I worked on the campus. Nothing was really that hard except taking minutes of meetings held by my supervisor.
Pros
enjoyed working on campus.
Cons
nothing i can truly think of.

4.3