University of North Carolina Employee Reviews

From the Prospective of a Slave, aka GRA
Graduate Research Assistant | School of Dentistry (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCOctober 16, 2017
- it is what it is: low paying student slave work (graduate research assistant)
- depends on supervisor/professor
- research can be interesting
- have to deal with the academic types
Pros
look forward to that tax return money
Cons
the reason you're get tax return money is cuz youre poor
This was the first time I had worked a a Big University and it was wonderful.
Epic Credentialed Trainer (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaOctober 14, 2017
I worked in all aspects of this university training physicians and surgeons. I also was asked to spend time in the newborn nursery and the NICU to help with the nurse training, since this had been one of my strengths from my former career.
Pros
Big University
Cons
Many many buildings and a lot of walking
Disappointed.
Visual Arts Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCOctober 4, 2017
I was laid off at year 17+ so am really disenchanted with UNC School of Nursing at the time. Had just gotten new dean of couple of months. Believe more time should have been dedicated to learning existing employees before dismissing/reorganizing.
Great Work study job
Lab Prep Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 30, 2017
I loved working at UNC Chapel Hill's Chem labs. It was a very relaxed environment. They understood we were students and had classes and exam we needed to focus on as well as work.
Program Assistant
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 26, 2017
It is a very laid back and fun job opportunity. As a team we set up events for potential international students to come and visit the University of Charlotte. Job work balance is great and flexible. For a part time job the pay is decent. The only thing that I dislike that each event is on a month to month basis which means that if we don't have a event the following month, you won't be working. Which means no pay. Other than that, very enjoyable experience so far. Highly recommend if you need an extra job!
Pros
Meeting people from different cultures, work life balance flexible
Cons
Only paid for on a month to month basis. Pay is not too high but not bad either
Experience at UNC Charlotte
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 25, 2017
I worked in the office of the Provost as a graduate student assistant.
Managing front office and other duties like scanning, creating files and reports in MS EXCEL.
Stay far away!
Planning Administrator/Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 21, 2017
Management at the University is extremely poor. they seem to have no concept of how to ethically spend the public's money. When one budget is over-spent, money is somehow always found from some "special" fund. Employment practices are horrendous! People are on staff, and have been for many years, who do nothing. They go weeks without coming to work. Management encourages an extremely cut-throat environment, and do not follow its own policies. the entire management staff, from the Chancellor down to the Assistant Vice Chancellors, should be fired.
Productive, Exciting, Educational
Athletic Communications Intern (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 20, 2017
The culture at North Carolina is spot on. Everybody works hard at serving others, and puts your needs in front of their own. In my 18-plus years of working, that has been the best work environment I have ever been part of.
Pros
Free dinners, Student-Athletes, Leadership, Alums
Cons
Work was heavy. workers let go for no reason- non caring
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 18, 2017
Management was swayed and told what to do, no matter if it was ethical. UNC had a front as known to be innovative but at the root it was wicked.
Management wanted you to get certified and that was good.
Management started to "get rid " of older workers with no degrees.
Good learning environment
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 10, 2017
Good learning environment. Advice and help from the faculty members. The University provides many opportunities to learn from different kinds of courses, and the library is a great resource.
Excellent place to work
Assistant Football Coach (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 7, 2017
One of the best schools in the country to work for when I was there. Great academic and athletic setting when I was there. Administration is very good. Culture is one of the best.
Excellent company for unskilled positions
Dietetic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 25, 2017
The most enjoyable part of this job was serving people and helping make their time at UNC Hospitals more enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was dealing with angry patients.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Long hours and very physical
A chance to get paid while earning an advanced degree
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 22, 2017
I worked in this capacity a long time ago so I hesitate to say anything too specific: the chance to earn a stipend while teaching undergraduates was a privilege and an honor even if many of us in the Department of Communication did not have undergraduate degrees in Communication ourselves... which could lead to a feeling that the undergraduates were possibly being shortchanged in their education at UNC Chapel Hill.
Pros
Stimulating work environment and teaching experience
Cons
Low pay and requirement to teach subject matter beyond one's expertise.
Overall, Good Teaching Experience
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 9, 2017
Overall, A good work experience. However, not always a lot of guidance on what to do. The professors are usually helpful, but much of time, a TA has to learn on the job.
Very productive and satisfying work
Heatlh Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 7, 2017
UNC is a productive and fun place to work. In my past experience, I was given independence to manage my projects with flexibility and trust. A typical day at work was managing state wide projects, training, or meeting with collaborators. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I felt I was making a difference; I enjoyed working with professionals in the community and the diversity of tasks I facilitated. The flexibility in my work schedule was great. I had the opportunity to change policy. I
Pros
Flexibility, meeting with collaborators, indepence
Cons
not the best healthcare benefits
I loved working and studying here
Systems/Network Administrator, Student (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 29, 2017
Beautiful campus, smart, interesting, open and caring people to work with, intellectually stimulating, endless opportunities to learn and contribute. Would live to work here again someday.
Business Officer, Finance Division (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 21, 2017
As a temporary employee of the University you do not receive medical benefits, paid holidays or vacation time and little effort is made to create permanent positions.
met and worked with great people
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 21, 2017
Able to take classes to help improve job skills while working was very beneficial. Workings with students of different backgrounds and ethnicity helped social awareness.
Pros
paid days off and sick pay
Cons
some days were slow and unproductive
Amazing learning experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 19, 2017
It was pleasant experience working as a Research Assistant. Enjoyed the work & had a great learning experience. The instructions were clear and precise to the point
First job out of undergrad was a good launching point.
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 15, 2017
I enjoyed my time as a research technician at UNC-CH at the Lineberger Cancer Center. This was my first job out of undergrad, and I learned a lot on the job that prepared me for a Ph.D. graduate program. The benefits of being a state employee and eligible for overtime were very nice at the time. In a lab setting, I was never certain of what my options were for advancement. I'm certain that I performed more duties than were expected of a technician and more in line with a lab manger's duties. Nevertheless, I did not stay very long because I decided to get a Ph.D. since a B.S. degree can leave little room for career growth in academia.
Pros
Overtime pay, flexible schedule, great coworkers, retirement fund, training in multiple disciplines, free buses
Cons
No bonus or raise. Wish salary was higher to accommodate cost of living in area.