University of North Carolina Employee Reviews

Lot has changed in 6 years
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  School of DentistryAugust 12, 2016
The department I worked in, the director and my co worker, I felt, felt some type of way about me. I am a black woman and I was treated differently by those two and the residents. I was judge way too harshly and felt bullied. The director I felt was trying to break me down.
As a previous employee, I was so eager to go back and finish my career there and then to be treated that way put a bad taste in my mouth for UNC. I do not recommend working there if you have color to your skin and have a voice.
Pros
Benefits, retirement
Cons
Managment, parking
Wonderful place to work
Community Director (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 16, 2016
UNC-Chapel Hill is a great place to work with intelligent and caring colleagues and leaders. For me the geographic area was not a great fit, but I value my experience and learned more at UNC in a year than in any other experience to date.
Pros
Intelligent, moderate pace environment with great benefits
Cons
Major events impacting the university
Great Learning Experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 28, 2016
I have been working with the computer science department at UNC Charlotte as a teaching assistant for almost a year now. It has been a great ride so far. You get to learn many things along with a decent compensation and relatively less workload.
Pros
Decent Compensation
Cons
Politics
Large and diverse institution with many bureaucratic obstacles
Teaching Assistant; Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 13, 2016
Difficult to assess objectively given my role as a doctoral student researcher and teaching assistant. The most difficult problem facing researchers in this position is the institutionalized hierarchy and corresponding disempowerment to make the decisions necessary to advance research in the best possible ways.
Full of possibilities
Director of Staff Employment (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 14, 2016
UNC Charlotte is rich with opportunities to explore different things, whether it is music, arts, festival, or athletic events.There are many possibilities to stay culturally rich and informed.
Pros
Potential for diversity
Cons
Not enough administrative support
some great people to work with
Business and Technology Application Analyst (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 8, 2016
Hardest part of my job is seeing that some people are afraid of change but in IT change is a constant. I have had a lot of interaction with clients and love that aspect to work with diverse people.
Supporting Cadets
Chapel Hill Senior Army ROTC Department (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 27, 2016
A typical day with serving cadets is very demanding and exciting at the same time. Patents with cadets is very critical because they are college kids go have graduated from high school.
Pros
Training cadets in a motherly way
Cons
N/A
Productive place to work
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  United StatesJuly 26, 2016
The university has good benefits including fitness opportunities. However the pay is lower in comparison to positions in the industry. It is still a decent place to work.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Low salary compared to industry
Good people but new systems resulted in a lot of negative turn around.
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NC 27599March 24, 2016
Daily management of operations for an academic medical training program which included daily scheduling/calendar management, all computer support and website management, serve as the singular liaison for the program in all forms of required communication.
Pros
Longevity
Cons
Parking
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 16, 2016
University offers excellent amenities and highly knowledgeable professors to guide students during masters. This role helps develop mentoring capabilities during graduation.
Small school with big potential
Visiting Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCAugust 29, 2016
Great location close to the beaches. Small department with big personalities. Visiting artist make for interesting production work. Great fitness center on campus.
Amazing work experience
Undergraduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 11, 2016
Great experience for undergrads, I loved everything about it. Gained a lot of experience in my field and everyone was helpful and gave me a ton of great advice for my career.
It depends who you work with
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 16, 2016
There are several professors I worked with. The one of them unfortunately did not have integrity. That tenured professor stole students' and postdocs' papers and patents. The school did not act.
fun work place
Electronics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 16, 2016
it is enjoyable place to work. it is fully nice people around the campus and around facilities. only the bad things there is poor management. management bothering the employees trying to be show off.
Great place, challenging and exciting environment.
Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMarch 7, 2016
Excellent work environment that engenders motivation, and creativity. Garnered further leadership qualities as well as interpersonal skills to effectively meet project deadlines. Faculty, staff and fellow graduate students are kind, helpful and very cooperative.
Wonderful opportunity!
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 14, 2016
I experienced a wonderful opportunity to teach during the summer semester. The intense schedule was grueling but exciting. Students and instructor learned so much and had fun doing it!
Great University
Student Manager (Former Employee) –  School of MusicApril 24, 2016
This job entailed managing a team of 20 student employees while promoting the presence of the university libraries. I enjoy working in an academic environment in a position that allows me to promote a positive work environment.
Flexible Hours
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 27, 2016
I was a personal assistant so I just had a time line on when things needed to be done. It was nice and my boss was nice.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Only on for certain projects
A great opportunity
Epic Go-Live Consultant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 27, 2016
I really enjoyed my assignment at UNC. It is a very professional environment and everyone works extremely well together.
Fine
Research Project Director (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 5, 2016
Good place to work. They pay you, the campus is nice, the people are nice and there's lots of opportunities for additional learning. No complaints.

4.3