University of North Carolina Employee Reviews in United States

RN's need a union
operating room staff nurse (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 2, 2016
don't work at duke or unc. leave the state, go earn make real money elsewhere. go union maybe california? blah blahl bhahaha akdlkfj daf daf
Pros
Cons
pay to park, expensive health care, low salary raises barely keeping with inflation
Great Environment, Fun to work
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 15, 2016
I am working as a Research Assistant at CCI and the overall experience is fun since I got to learn a lot. Fun Environment and great technical support.
Pros
Good Salary
Cons
None that i could think of
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and UNC Health Care Medic
Human Resources Consultant (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 15, 2015
A new study analyzing the economic impact of UNC System institutions reveals the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and UNC Health Care Medical Center together added $7.1 billion to North Carolina’s economy in fiscal year 2013 – an amount representing nearly 100,000 jobs in the state.
Pros
North Carolina’s institutions of higher education add value to the state’s economy.
Cons
Compensation structure regulated by legislators
Innovative and supportive staff and faculty
Study Abroad Advisor (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCApril 30, 2015
The UNC Study Abroad Office works as part of a team of University education bodies providing internationalization initiatives for the UNC campus. Working with students to develop intercultural competence skills and high quality international education programming. The job is cyclical however, each semester brings it's own surprises be it new talent inspiring research abroad or a visa requirement that comes as a challenge but is always worked out. Working with adult learners and program development is a very rewarding career.
Pros
Benefits, Access to Lectures and the Arts, Public Transportation
Cons
Parking, Funding
Good people but new systems resulted in a lot of negative turn around.
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NC 27599March 24, 2016
Daily management of operations for an academic medical training program which included daily scheduling/calendar management, all computer support and website management, serve as the singular liaison for the program in all forms of required communication.
Pros
Longevity
Cons
Parking
Large and diverse institution with many bureaucratic obstacles
Teaching Assistant; Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 13, 2016
Difficult to assess objectively given my role as a doctoral student researcher and teaching assistant. The most difficult problem facing researchers in this position is the institutionalized hierarchy and corresponding disempowerment to make the decisions necessary to advance research in the best possible ways.
Great
Functional Lead (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 3, 2015
Great place to work. nice colleagues. Contributed and Learnt a lot.
• Work on Implementation, Design, Development and validation of PeopleSoft Enterprise performance management (EPM) with Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition (OBIEE) and Custom built UNC data warehouse based on SAS Data Integration tool with SAS Visual Analytics reporting tool and Custom Infoporte PHP based reporting tool.
• Work closely with analysts in analysis and design phase for the PeopleSoft EPM v9.1 Warehouse, OBIEE marts and subject areas, UNC Custom built data warehouse and SAS VA reports.
• Evaluate the delivered Data Mart structures, assess the currently used reports from the user community (PS Query and other tools), and articulate clearly verbally and in written form the requirements and possible design approaches.
Great place, challenging and exciting environment.
Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMarch 7, 2016
Excellent work environment that engenders motivation, and creativity. Garnered further leadership qualities as well as interpersonal skills to effectively meet project deadlines. Faculty, staff and fellow graduate students are kind, helpful and very cooperative.
Great University
Student Manager (Former Employee) –  School of MusicApril 24, 2016
This job entailed managing a team of 20 student employees while promoting the presence of the university libraries. I enjoy working in an academic environment in a position that allows me to promote a positive work environment.
Excellent Graduate School
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMarch 7, 2016
The graduate school at the University of North Carolina has been a great place to further my education. The people here have been very supportive and have helped me grow in my independence in academic research

Want to know more about University of North Carolina?

Ask a question
Relaxed Job setting
Lead Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 12, 2016
Great environment with great staff, very laid back job and its usually not as busy compared to retail pharmacy. Monday through Friday off weekends.
Awesome place
Office of Student Affairs, Major Gift Officer (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 26, 2016
UNC is a great place. I am blessed to have worked at my Alma mater and represent the University.

The University supported me through some very personal times and I will be forever grateful.

I am proud to be an Alum.
good university
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 17, 2016
The job is quite interesting. my responsibility is to teach Statistics, Calculus and Algebra to the undergraduate students and
grade the students based on exams and class performance. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the students
A very family like work environment with all the good and not so good parts of being in a family
Social Clinical Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsboro, NCJanuary 26, 2016
While working for the University of North Carolina, I worked one on one with clients that were previously diagnosed with a variety of intellectual disabilities, specializing specifically with autism disorder. I got to know my co-workers and clients very well and even still, I maintain communication with them as often as I can. Working at the Carolina Living and Learning Center, I learned a great deal of what it means to be an individual and that just like any neurotypical thinking person, individuals with autism have specific needs, likes, dislikes, hobbies, fears, and passions just the same as any one else. It is just the details that we focus on that makes us individuals in the first place. The biggest challenge in being in this field of work would have to be the occasional violent outbursts from the clients. It is typically easy to tell if these outbursts are about to happen just by observing usual signs of aggressive behavior, but there have been a few times where the outbursts resulted in me being momentarily hospitalized. All in all, there was never a dull moment working at this facility and I would't trade the experience for anything.
Pros
Building strong relationships with the clients as well as staff.
Cons
Dealing with occasional violent outbursts.Some that even resulted in me being hospitalized.
golf course maintenance
golf course maintenance (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCDecember 29, 2015
general care and maintenance of the golf course, which included, but was not limited to; landscaping, sodding greens,fairways, tees, and rough areas.
Pros
receiving free season tickets to football and basketball games
Cons
working outside during the winter
It's fine
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCNovember 12, 2015
Annoying that I can't get a parking pass but buses are free. I work for a professor not the university. Postdocs get their health coverage paid for by the professor (as long as you don't have dependents).
a fair place for full time faculty
Program chair/faculty (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCNovember 4, 2015
as a place to work for full time faculty it was a fairly decent place to work aside from all the inter program drama. a terrific arts conservatory environment.
Pros
nice arts culture and great students
Cons
too much inter-program fighting
Very good place to work.
Alumni Affairs and Development Associate (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 16, 2015
Work days vary depending on time of year. Fall semester was general very busy with work related to incoming student and Graduation. Spring semester was busy with Awards Ceremonies and Graduation. Adjusting to new things was difficult because there is a lack of training for jobs.
Pros
medical benefits
Cons
training
UNC is Awesome
GRAPHIC/WEB DESIGNER (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCDecember 1, 2015
Great place to work! Good people with a vested interest in their community and lots of educational opportunities for those who are interested in improving themselves.
wonderful
Special Event Office Asst (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCDecember 11, 2015
I was a retired UNC Chapel Hill employee. I began working for UNC again for the Department of Transportation and Parking. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-workers and customer service.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of North Carolina. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3