University of North Carolina Employee Reviews

Cheep easy work
Desk worker (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, NCFebruary 19, 2017
You sit behind the desk at the gym and sign people in via card scanner. May have to provide information about the facility and watch and enforce gym rules.
Pros
Super simple, short work hours
Cons
Occasionally boring, cannot workout while working
Postdoctoral Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 12, 2017
I have enjoyed the high educational quality offered by North Carolina State University. I worked there for 5 years as graduate student in the Department of Plant Pathology.
learn and development
Lab Manager (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 12, 2017
I have enjoyed work environment. Nice boss who will give you the chances, fun coworker make you want to do more for them. you learn and develop more.
It was a fun place to work , it was just temporary
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, NCDecember 28, 2016
I enjoyed this job, because I was able to work at my own pace and it was very friendly co-workers. This was a very good workplace. I really enjoyed the fact that there was always something o do to keep you busy doing the work time. I also like the fact that it was first job.
Pros
Friends and Fun day
Cons
temporay position
Executive Assistant to Associate Vice Chancelor (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCDecember 16, 2016
A really great place to work. Promote from within. Listen to what employees have to say. Provide a motivational atmosphere.
Large university
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chapel hill, ncNovember 14, 2016
There are always benefits and inconveniences with a large university. Job security is high but work culture is not the strongest. Turnover is low for administrative positions so it seems one could work there a number of years and retire safely.
Pros
Free classes
Cons
No parking
Great location and clients
Technology (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 9, 2016
Working to help educate is a wonderful thing. The campus environment is excellent; you can walk outside for a moment and there's often a unique energy when classes are in session. Recommend speaking with current employees when interviewing to get an idea of the current work environment for that department.
Flexible work enviornment
University Administrator (Zone Manager) (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCNovember 3, 2016
I like it here at UNC. the job itself is fairly easy as long as you stay up on your paperwork. I have learn to be more patient with people due to the variety in nationalities and the age group in which I supervise. My supervisor is a good guy and is understanding as long as you communicate with him. my co-workers are a great team and do not mind helping when it is needed. The hardest pat of my job is dealing with the different personalities. One of the most enjoyable parts of my job is being able to get my employees together to have a celebration to help raise moral.
Excellent work environment
Vendor Coordinator - Finance Division (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCOctober 4, 2016
The people I work with at UNC provided a friendly work environment, the management was extremely helpful, and the hours were flexible. The only things I did not enjoy about UNC was the lack of training I received when first starting and how they used full time temporary employees as opposed to standard full time positions.
Great and healthy atmosphere.
Fitness Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 1, 2016
My job duties include guiding the patrons how to work out, help them with minor and major issues, taking care of the fitness centre facilities.
The supervisors as well the co-workers are pretty helpful and friendly.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 16, 2016
University offers excellent amenities and highly knowledgeable professors to guide students during masters. This role helps develop mentoring capabilities during graduation.
some great people to work with
Business and Technology Application Analyst (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 8, 2016
Hardest part of my job is seeing that some people are afraid of change but in IT change is a constant. I have had a lot of interaction with clients and love that aspect to work with diverse people.
Small school with big potential
Visiting Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCAugust 29, 2016
Great location close to the beaches. Small department with big personalities. Visiting artist make for interesting production work. Great fitness center on campus.
Great Learning Experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 28, 2016
I have been working with the computer science department at UNC Charlotte as a teaching assistant for almost a year now. It has been a great ride so far. You get to learn many things along with a decent compensation and relatively less workload.
Pros
Decent Compensation
Cons
Politics
Wonderful place to work
Community Director (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 16, 2016
UNC-Chapel Hill is a great place to work with intelligent and caring colleagues and leaders. For me the geographic area was not a great fit, but I value my experience and learned more at UNC in a year than in any other experience to date.
Pros
Intelligent, moderate pace environment with great benefits
Cons
Major events impacting the university
Lot has changed in 6 years
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  School of DentistryAugust 12, 2016
The department I worked in, the director and my co worker, I felt, felt some type of way about me. I am a black woman and I was treated differently by those two and the residents. I was judge way too harshly and felt bullied. The director I felt was trying to break me down.
As a previous employee, I was so eager to go back and finish my career there and then to be treated that way put a bad taste in my mouth for UNC. I do not recommend working there if you have color to your skin and have a voice.
Pros
Benefits, retirement
Cons
Managment, parking
Amazing work experience
Undergraduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 11, 2016
Great experience for undergrads, I loved everything about it. Gained a lot of experience in my field and everyone was helpful and gave me a ton of great advice for my career.
Flexible Hours
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 27, 2016
I was a personal assistant so I just had a time line on when things needed to be done. It was nice and my boss was nice.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Only on for certain projects
Productive place to work
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  United StatesJuly 26, 2016
The university has good benefits including fitness opportunities. However the pay is lower in comparison to positions in the industry. It is still a decent place to work.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Low salary compared to industry
Full of possibilities
Director of Staff Employment (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 14, 2016
UNC Charlotte is rich with opportunities to explore different things, whether it is music, arts, festival, or athletic events.There are many possibilities to stay culturally rich and informed.
Pros
Potential for diversity
Cons
Not enough administrative support

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of North Carolina. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2