University of North Carolina Employee Reviews

Okay workplace. just no benefits and have to take 31 days off once a year
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCFebruary 10, 2013
The University in a whole is okay to work for. I have just been passed over for several promotions in my department. so, i am looking elsewhere.
Pros
it's easy, most of the people i have enjoyed working with.
Cons
you get no benefits or raises and have to take 31 days off in a row once a year, they do this so they don't have to pay you any benefits.
Great job!
Per Diem Nurse (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 16, 2014
Stayed 30 years with this company. Then returned per diem after retirement. Great leadership and always room for advancement. Loved the staff and the ability to learn something new everyday. Yearly merit raises. So if you worked hard you always got a raise. I miss the hospital and the people.
Pros
terrific place to work. great advancement for nurses who are willing to work hard.
A nice work environment with good empolyees that work hard.
Clinical Education/Credentialing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMarch 31, 2014
My manager is very easy going, approachable and personable. I was able to work independently with minimal supervision. The hardest part of my job was leaning on my own with no training.
Pros
the work atmosphere is very nice.
Cons
part time, state budget prevents full time and raises
Very good place to work.
Alumni Affairs and Development Associate (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 16, 2015
Work days vary depending on time of year. Fall semester was general very busy with work related to incoming student and Graduation. Spring semester was busy with Awards Ceremonies and Graduation. Adjusting to new things was difficult because there is a lack of training for jobs.
Pros
medical benefits
Cons
training
Graduate Assistant UNCW
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJune 29, 2015
Working and being a student at UNCW is a great opportunity. I love getting a chance to work with the students and provide them with tutoring. All of the students are very polite and friendly.The University is very supportive for various types of learning activities and provides great mentorship for independent learning.
Simple office management and friendly professor & staff interaction
Office Worker and Professor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Department of Asian StudiesFebruary 20, 2012
The Department of Asian Studies was a good place to be in contact with my professors while simultaneously learn of many other Asian cultures I knew little about. The daily interactions helped me to become more well acquainted with my own instructors and TAs.
Great place to work and gain experience in exciting research
North Carolina Acute HIV Database Manager (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 12, 2014
Good place to work. Lots of opportunity to contribute to interesting, exciting, and meaningful research. Colleagues are smart, thoughtful individuals.
Pros
flexible hours, ability to work remotely
Cons
stressful work environment
Treasurer- i treasure all the income of the organization
Lab Assistant/Associate (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCApril 27, 2014
I make account to the president after every meeting if members paid their dues.Team work was vital and time to schedule meetings were big issues.I enjoyed this position, it helps me to promote more on integrity and accountability.
Great place to work.
RN medical ICU (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 3, 2012
Very proficient staff. Excellent management. Interesting patients, some with a very rare illness. Great learning opportunities.
Pros
wendy's on sight, caferteria open for the night shift, good salaries, very frendly people in the area.
Cons
if i stilled lived in nc i would be working there.
Rigorous scientific environment with strong collaborative spirit
Associate Professor of Medicine (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCDecember 18, 2013
UNC offers top notch research environment, very well managed research administration (IRB, OSR etc.) in addition to a collaborative spirit among faculty and one of the best towns to live and raise children.

Want to know more about University of North Carolina?

Ask a question
Close knit research team
Health Educator (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 6, 2012
I recruited and worked with clients involved in a domestic violence prevention research study. I conducted and transcribed interviews. I provided resources, referrals, and advocacy for survivors of domestic violence and their children.
Pros
flexible schedule
golf course maintenance
golf course maintenance (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCDecember 29, 2015
general care and maintenance of the golf course, which included, but was not limited to; landscaping, sodding greens,fairways, tees, and rough areas.
Pros
receiving free season tickets to football and basketball games
Cons
working outside during the winter
Full of challenges and excitement
Research Assistant professor (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 23, 2015
Fun and well learning research experience in UNC. Wonderful co-workers and talented students. The most enjoyable part is can always find expertise in the area I am going to touch. A good research environment for collaborations.
Good state job
Research Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMarch 9, 2015
A fine place to start working and gain experience. Took care of lab rats by cleaning and feeding daily. Hardest part of the job is to stay busy, could easily have been a part time job. Boss was not in building, located somewhere else. Worked alone most of the time.
Great for Undergraduate Teaching Experience
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant for Economics (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCApril 16, 2014
I was a TA for Economics for a year and thought it was a rewarding experience. We had freedom to design our help sessions any way we wanted. Everything went well.
Pros
good coworkers, good work-life balance
Great Place - Horrible Budget
IT Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCApril 26, 2012
Wonderful staff and great atmosphere. Unfortunately no money in the state's budget and IT seems to be the first department affected so job security is at an all-time low.
Pros
colleagues and support system.
Cons
no chance for advancement or raises due to
ERP Project
Sr. Instructional Designer, Trainer (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 28, 2015
I am a contractor at UNC, so I cannot speak to what it's like to work here as a permanent employee. However, I have enjoyed the people I work with very much. Like any job, how pleasant it is depends on your manager, and I have been lucky in this regard.
a fair place for full time faculty
Program chair/faculty (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCNovember 4, 2015
as a place to work for full time faculty it was a fairly decent place to work aside from all the inter program drama. a terrific arts conservatory environment.
Pros
nice arts culture and great students
Cons
too much inter-program fighting
good university
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 17, 2016
The job is quite interesting. my responsibility is to teach Statistics, Calculus and Algebra to the undergraduate students and
grade the students based on exams and class performance. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the students
A very smart and intelligent working group
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chapel hill, NCDecember 30, 2013
i get the opportunity to work remotely and have regular update meetings which i look forward to though sometimes it could be nerve recking.
great working relationship with colleagues.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
low or no pay

4.3