University of North Carolina

University of North Carolina Employer Reviews

Grass roots research that leads to new and exciting opportunities.
Research Associate Professor (Current Employee), Wilmington, NCMarch 6, 2014
Research oriented position where I was responsible for synthesizing compounds of need for other researchers within the group. I was also responsible for increasing the production of brevenal, a compound that has potential as a treatment for Cystic fibrosis and is in preclinical studies. Brevenal is a natural product synthesized by the marine dinoflagellate – more... Karenia brevis (more familiar as the organism responsible for red tides in Florida). The organism is currently grown in 10L batches and I was able to increase the batch size to around 200L. From this work, I learned patience, as the cultures take a long time to grow. I had a lot of support from coworkers as they have been working with this organism for many years.
During the synthetic stage of my work, I had to purify the compounds for the end users. This usually involved using HPLC techniques and many of the instruments were old. These often had to be repaired, so I also learned how to dismantle the instrument, remedy the problem and put it back together.
The varied experiences are my favorite part of the job, but the lack of stability in the funding is the hardest part. – less
Wonderful Environment
Administrator (Current Employee), Chapel Hill, NCMarch 4, 2014
Great environment to work in. good people who really love what they do.
Academia
Information Systems Analyst (Current Employee), Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 31, 2014
A typical University environment with plenty of resources to facilitate your job and support system that is excellent.

Good working relation with multiple departments.
Great job.
Account Tech IV-Account Payables (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJanuary 2, 2014
Great job working on the campus of UNCC. Staff is very professional as well as management. Great learning and growing environment. Working with the students was great also.
A very smart and intelligent working group
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Chapel hill, NCDecember 30, 2013
Pros: flexibility
Cons: low or no pay
i get the opportunity to work remotely and have regular update meetings which i look forward to though sometimes it could be nerve recking.
great working relationship with colleagues.
Chapel Hill is also a great place to live and work.
Tech Support Analyst (Former Employee), Chapel Hill, NCDecember 26, 2013
State budget cuts often result in zero percent salary increases.
Rigorous scientific environment with strong collaborative spirit
Associate Professor of Medicine (Current Employee), Chapel Hill, NCDecember 18, 2013
UNC offers top notch research environment, very well managed research administration (IRB, OSR etc.) in addition to a collaborative spirit among faculty and one of the best towns to live and raise children.
Excellent opportunity to learn hands-on clinical research
Research Technician III (Former Employee), Chapel Hill, NCNovember 21, 2013
Top-notch research program for Cystic Fibrosis. Brilliant research professors in the department who were very helpful with teaching. Enjoyable co-workers.
Work study placement
Admissions Assistant (Former Employee), Pembroke, NCOctober 30, 2013
I assisted in filing, delivering mail and checking the status of prospective students level of interest. When ever open houses occurred, I would assist one of the admission counselors in leading campus tours.
Fun place to work with a diverse culture
Project Administrator to the Director of HR (Former Employee), Chapel Hill, NCOctober 28, 2013
Meeting minutes, Management of SharePoint site, PeopleSoft training logistics for over 200 employees across campus.
Awesome Dental Hygiene Program!
Student Clinical Dental Hygienist (Former Employee), Chapel Hill, NCOctober 19, 2013
I was a student hygienist from 1/12 to 5/13. Instructors are very knowledgeable and helpful. Patients are very patient and understanding.
I love working for the University
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: attending meetings, conferences
Cons: not sure
Enjoyable place to work. I learned the role of administrative field near a director which is an important role.
Productive, team oriented.
Accounting Technician (Current Employee), Chapel Hill, NCAugust 24, 2013
Pros: team environment
Cons: healthcare
The Department of Payroll is one of the most productive area of Finance. I work with the Bi-weekly division providing services to the entire university. We are a great example of true team work. Keeping everyone happy is the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part is working with great co-workers ensuring that every employee is paid in a timely – more... manner. – less
Great university
student athlete (Former Employee), Chapel Hill, NCAugust 20, 2013
Pros: education
Earned an excellent degree from UNC-Chapel Hill and had an excellent opportunity to play for the varsity football program from 2008 to 2011.
Teir 1 University
Research Assistant Professor (Current Employee), Chapel Hill, NCJuly 26, 2013
Like many large Universities, the structure is collapsing.
GTA
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCJuly 9, 2013
good experience working with your professors and offers more items for resume
Good place to work with very collaborative atmosphere
Post-doctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee), Chapel Hill, NCJuly 8, 2013
Good environment. Nice facilities. Most people are very willing to help out with experimental design and offer ideas.
Great place to work!
Teacher Assistant in Microbiology (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCJuly 7, 2013
Pros: great mentoring opportunities.
Cons: teaching assistants only make minimum wage.
Loved my position as a teaching assistant in the Microbiology lab! My supervisor was the best!
Strength and Conditioning Internship
Strength and Conditioning Intern (Former Employee), Chapel Hill, NCJune 22, 2013
On a typical day I would start setting up the weight room for the wrestlers at 8:30am. Then, from 9- 10:30, I worked alongside my mentor, overseeing and coaching the team through their workout. After the team left I would clean up the gym. This included reorganizing weights and equipment, restocking the fridges, and disinfecting the area they used. – more... When that was done I would complete any tasks that the weight training coaches needed. Some of these tasks included writing up workouts, filling in or analyzing athlete spreadsheets, editing example videos for the training database, and working the front desk. My days would end with informational session with my mentor regarding what I learned each day and how I could improve my leadership/teaching abilities when dealing with peers. He allowed me to ask any questions I had at this time everyday. It was a great learning experience and taught me much more than just how to run a lifting session. – less
fair place to work
Certified Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee), Chapel Hill, NCJune 4, 2013
Pros: great place to live
Cons: state institution, poor salary, no raise in 5 yrs
enjoyed the patients/families as well as nursing staff. Physicians sometimes do not respect what we do.