University of North Dakota Employee Reviews

Worst Place I ever worked in 50 years of employment.
Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDDecember 8, 2016
High Turnover. Always having to cover for peers who did not show up for work, thus putting my daily assigned duties behind. Executive management refused to approve needed overtime.
Pros
Cons
Unaccountable bureaucrats unwilling to take suggestions to save taxpayers and tuition payers money
Student Athlete Development Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDFebruary 17, 2017
This is a great place to work. Most people would say the cold is the hardest thing to get used to, and I would agree. The work environment is really positive and the athletes and coaches have a great deal of buy-in concerning total player development.
Too much emphasis on programming
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDMarch 27, 2017
Fairly easy job but there was an overemphasis on programming. Students just wanted free food, yet the university housing department insisted that CA's provide activities for the residents. I mean, you cannot do battle with the Xbox. You'll lose.
Good Opportunity for one year
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDOctober 9, 2016
The compensation for the hours worked was not entirely worth it. Management said it would only be about 20 hours a week when in reality, if you are in the building, you are working. The job never stops, even when off campus. It is great to bond with the residents and meet higher-ups. However, the higher-ups didn't ALWAYS treat us with respect.
Pros
Residents, Hall Directors are great, Don't pay for room
Cons
Not treated the best
UND Sociology and Economics Depts.
Lecturer-in-Statistics (Current Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDJanuary 27, 2017
Instructing and mentoring students in statistics is personally inspirational for me. Also, I have developed my own teaching materials, so I have an even greater emotional commitment to the teaching-and-learning arena.
Enjoyed my time at University
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, North DakotaNovember 9, 2016
I enjoyed working on my education and the life skills that I developed during my time at the University. Obtaining my Business Management degree was a happy time for me and was something I was and am still proud of accomplishing today.
Fair place with no strict supervision
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDFebruary 13, 2017
- No strict supervision
- Compensation is OK for this position
- Nice and calm city
- All depends on Science Advisor
- No Health Insurance for grads
Staff Writer (Current Employee) –  Collegeville, MNFebruary 13, 2017
I enjoyed learning how to manage, and I learned about myself in the process. At an early age, I learned how to be the boss and be responsible for other people and other peoples actions
Fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDMarch 2, 2017
It was enjoyable working with fellow students on a daily basis. Met a lot of new people that I would have otherwise never had a chance to meet.
excellent experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDJanuary 21, 2017
good job work life balance

excellent job culture;

supervisor is nice and pleasant to work with.

excellent learning environments.
A great place to work at
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDJune 11, 2016
Working as an RA helps expanding your skills and your cultural knowledge. You deal with many situations that required decision-making and leadership skills. It is a job where you can learn and have fun at the same time.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
depends on your hall director
fun easy work place to be at
Parking Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDAugust 4, 2016
Easy place to work at especially while in college. Very flexible schedule I worked when I wanted to.
Pros
flexible schedule, fun work place
Cons
managers, worked outside in the cold
Liked working here
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDJuly 6, 2016
I was a graduate research assistant. This was an enjoyable job. I received a lot of experience and was properly compensated for my work. I was able to make my own schedule.
Job Work
PhD student (Current Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDMarch 17, 2016
My work largely involves research and teaching. Our lab have many undergraduates who are currently working on our project. I am responsible to guide and teaching them about various experiments, lab safety and record keeping. I do provide timely feedback and assist them in their career paths. Most enjoyable part of my job is my research as I get to learn new things everyday.
Productive and fun workplace
Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach (Current Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDMarch 22, 2016
It was a good experience working at the University of North Dakota. The people are really polite and fun to work with. You work from 6 to 6 most days but that is required with most strength and conditioning jobs.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Good people to work with, learn a lot on the job
Research/Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDFebruary 20, 2016
It's a great place to work so far, they give you a fair amount of autonomy but check on you often enough to make sure you are being productive or if you need anything. I feel I have learned a lot so far, and can talk to people if I need help or the workload is too much.
University of North Dakota
UAS Senior Instructor Pilot/Curriculum Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDNovember 11, 2015
Great place to work. The degree program was so new that most of UND Aerospace didn't understand what we were doing. Spent a lot of time early educating the faculty and staff. After we got rolling the University was squarely behind us. Great experience getting to start a program. Had the contract with UND not ended I'd still be there.
Pros
The people and the academic community
Cons
Universities are very political.
Exciting and very rewarding
Air Traffic Control Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDSeptember 4, 2015
Normally an eight hour work day either in the classroom as a lecturer of in the simulator as a instructor/monitor/evaluator. Evaluated student performance and provided feedback to them with recommended improvement areas, positive areas and overall performance.
Pros
medical and educational benifits
Cons
laid off
Fantastic University
Graduate Student and Communication Instructor (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDMay 21, 2015
Instructed Communications Classes while a graduate student. Each day required both attending graduate classes and teaching, with time in-between advising students. Hardest part of the job was the amount of work that needed to be done daily, requiring 10+ hour days. The most enjoyable part was working with college students as their instructor, making every day a positive learning experience.
Pros
Complimentary classes to advance your education
Cons
Not enough hours in a day to do everything I wanted to complete.
Important work done by competent researchers
Laboratory Technician III, Chemist I, Chemist II, (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDDecember 17, 2014
This laboratory was responsible for assessing trace element nutrition needs of humans, thus its mission was highly motivating to everyone involved, from the scientists through to their support staff. The working relationships between the management, research, clinical, and support staff was generally good and was excellent in most of our research teams.
Pros
Important work, highly motivated staff
Cons
Too few tasked with doing too much, but willing and ready to take it on.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of North Dakota. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2