University of North Florida Employee Reviews in United States

Fun place to work
Mailroom Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 27, 2015
A typical day would be to accept 200+ packages for the 3,000+ students that we have on campus, log them into a system, and disburse them into the package pick up areas. I would also verify each piece of letter mail that came in and make sure that it was properly addressed to the appropriate student. Once the piece of letter mail was verified, the letter would be placed in the student mailbox.
Pros
Fun working place, great healthcare benefits, great retirement
Cons
Never appreciated for the work that you do
Easy going job with a strict schedule commitment
Osprey Pep Band Member (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 27, 2016
The osprey pep band is responsible for the atmosphere of the UNF male and female basketball games. The commitment is pretty tough, having to show up an hour early for every game the teams play, as well as rehearsals. The band has been directed by different directors almost each year since I have been a member, and the experience varies between them. A good and organized director makes for a pleasant and easy experience. The only issue is that the pay is pretty low considering the effort put in, but its better than no pay at all. Sometimes the band is put in the position where the incentive to support the team clashes with our own personal interests and are expected to support them regardless.
Pros
Travel expenses covered, food during travel covered.
Cons
Low pay
Unprofessional
Budget Associate (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 28, 2015
Lack of management competence and complete disregard for employees. Claim of transparency in relaying information, but exact opposite is more realistic. Benefits are wonderful and most co-workers are very team oriented. Leadership tends to have power trips and make an unpleasant work environment. ILLEGAL "policies" disallowing employees state mandated per diem rates.
Benefits
Cons
(Lack of true) Leadership; Lack of respect for employees;
Entertaining and Productive
Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 12, 2016
A facilitator will organize games and ice breakers activities that will unite teams to overcome the obstacles ahead. I learned to connect with different personalities. Management and co-workers were outstanding. The hardest part of the jobs was to make sure everybody had the same amount of energy when doing activities. The most enjoyable part was to see the groups working together.
Pros
Free lunches
Great Benefits!
Police Communications Officer (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 26, 2015
My experience within the police department has been wonderful as far as working as a team! I think the police department is often overlooked by the rest of the university and many times the faculty thinks we are a security service and not actual law enforcement because they call for janitorial service.
If you"re a hard worker you will be recognized and the benefits are relatively inexpensive and the university pays for up to 6 credits a semester at UNF!
Excellent work environment, which provided me with the building blocks needed to succeed.
Lifeguard Instructor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 3, 2015
I held many job titles at the University of North Florida's Aquatic Center, starting from being hired as a lifeguard, being promoted to lifeguard instructor, teaching swim lessons and coaching the swim team. When management was absent I was the manager on duty and filled in for the Program Manager overseeing all programs when needed. I learned how to teach and manage a class both in a classroom and in the water, as well as learning how to provide a positive and healthy learning environment while effectively conveying information. I was placed in charge of training new employees as well as leading in-service training for all employees every semester.
The management staff which I had the privilege of working under helped shape me into the person I am today, they took me under their wing and helped me grow into a responsible and reliable person who is willing to step up and take charge.
Pros
Excellent management, great learning environment, flexible schedule
Cons
Limited hours available, minimum wage starting pay
Great Student Part Time Positions Available
Climbing Instructor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 2, 2016
Students are given excellent flexibility on part-time positions so that they can balance their education with the hours they want to work.
Pros
Scheduling Flexibility
Cons
Pay is Bi-Weekly (every other Friday)
Great Place to Work
Front Office Assistant-PT (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 12, 2016
Friendly people. Consist pay. Fun Job. I feel like I am a part of a family. STRESS LESS Job! Recommend it to everyone whom is looking to start a career.
Pros
Lots of luncheons & great life experiences
Fun Workplace
Peer Health Educator (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 7, 2015
the most enjoyable part of my job is working with other students to help them achieve their wellness goals. I also conduct presentations about various health education topics.
Pros
beautiful campus
Cons
no benefits
Great staff but poor pay and no advancement
Coordinator, Research Development (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 22, 2014
I worked at UNF for 11 years. In that time, we rarely received raises but the cost of parking and insurance kept going up. The president is not an academic and that affects how UNF is viewed outside of Florida. The staff is 98% great with the students' welfare in mind, but management tends to be bad. I had to work long hours with no extra pay and finally had to quit when I got a boss who insisted on calling me late at night (after 10 pm) with work questions.
Pros
great insurance, relaxed atmosphere, no problem getting time off if needed
Cons
low pay, no room for advancement, poor parking

Want to know more about University of North Florida?

Ask a question
An excellent opportunity for young energetic educators.
Assistant Psychiatric Nursing Professor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 25, 2013
I originally started at UNF as a part time clinical instructor. After my first semester I was given the amazing opportunity to begin teaching psych clinicals and then shortly after that promoted to a full time classroom instructor. It was a dream come true. I was surrounded by incredibly supportive and impressive instructors that had been teaching longer than I had been alive. They were so open to share their experiences and knowledge with me. I was always made to feel a part of the UNF family and guided into my teaching career easily, however given enough room to establish my own style of teaching. It was an phenomenal and experience.
Pros
benefits, hours
Cons
salary
Great institution of higher learning
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 21, 2014
My place of work has great potential in being a powerful force in higher education. The faculty are knowledgeable and the opportunity for students and research are endless. I work a typical 8-5 pm with the opportunity to work a flex schedule if i need to. I feel as if i make a difference in my position. My supervisors are caring and understanding as it pertains to life events and personal time. My co workers are willing to help out when needed for the greater good. The hardest part of the job is not being able to assist students more or getting them to truly take your advice as it pertains to their future. The most enjoyable part of the job is talking to students
Pros
flexible schedule, holidays off, free tuition.
Cons
no opportunity for growth, low financial compensation, lack of communication
ITS Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 12, 2013
We all worked together and helped and shared knowledge. The team effort was great and the management was excellent. A typical day would be rotation Researches questions using available information resources, document and tracked, and monitored the problem to ensure a timely resolution. Identifies and escalates situations requiring urgent attention to current issues with system information, changes, and updates.
Re-imaged computer workstations, Laptops, and troubleshoot hardware, operating system, and application issues. Maintain Technology related inventories. Processed and tracked Technology related orders. The most enjoyable part was helping the clients and putting a satisfactory smile on the clients face. The hardest part would be if I or we were not able to resolve the problem at our level of expertise and had to escalate the problem. Update KB articles
Pros
great team and had fun while maintaining profesional attitude with staff, clients and management.
Cons
part time no benifits
Beautiful campus setting
Event & Career Specialist, Career Services (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 18, 2015
The University offers many opportunities for professional advancement on campus. Students are creative, hard-working and very driven in their chosen majors.
Typical day at UNF
Ranger (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 19, 2015
I would start working at 9 pm and just constantly patrol the building 12 and the parking in front of building 12 (lot2). I would give a few safety escorts to student to and from their dorms or cars.
Pros
Great work enviroment
Cons
Sheduling
Awesome place to work!
Special Events Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 4, 2015
Great Experience working at UNF as a student worker. Had an opportunity to meet and interact with different levels of people. Great work life balance.
Enjoyable environment
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 28, 2013
I am the "go-to" girl. There is no typical day as anything can come up and I would have to be the one to help the situation. Whether it is based on an unsatisfied customer to a facility operations not functioning well, I would be the main person of contact and get the right people to do the job or if I can fix it, I would too.

The job is demanding and very multitasking but, I prefer to keep busy as it makes the day go faster.

I am diligent with my job and very responsible so, my co-workers depend on me for support.
Pros
free lunches, public relations on all age levels and get a fitness workout.
Cons
salary is low compared the job title and duties.
Great if you're willing to settle for mediocre
Coordinator of Academic Support Services (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 4, 2012
UNF largely consists of mediocrity and empty promises. There is a lot of talk and little action. Like any university, it's filled with bureaucratic red-tape and excuses. Some people really love their jobs and excel in them, but the majority of people are inconvenienced by their positions and the people they are supposed to serve. Forget about a raise, university employees haven't seen a raise in almost five years.
Great school
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 23, 2015
Great school. The professors are very knowledgeable and helpful. I learned a lot from their classes. I would recommend this school to anyone.
A great non-paying internship experience
Department of Physics Office Intern (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 3, 2014
I learned some valuable office techniques. I learned how to make several types of spreadsheets to keep track of professors, classes, and class times. The professors and administrators in the physics department were very friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job was finding a place to park. The most enjoyable part of the job was occasionally getting to talk science with the professors.
Pros
gaining valuable office experience
Cons
no pay nor benefits

4.3