University of North Texas Health Science Center Employee Reviews

good
Assistant Professor, Dept. of Internal Medicine (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 9, 2017
nice place
good learning opportunities
good benefits
good health insurance
good faculty
8-5 pm with some calls
can live v close to work
expensive housing
Fast pace, worked with a fun group of ladies
Business Office Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 29, 2017
My department was a very fast pace department, sometime we had to investigate to make sure our patients appointment would run smooth upon arrival. Verify insurance daily, keep patient schedules updated daily, data entry and register patients on a daily. Learned Next Gen (EMR) system, the hardest part of my job was keeping every patient happy. I enjoyed helping any and everyone I could in my work place.
Pros
Working with my patients
Cons
Didn't like having patients wait (short handed)
Good People
Mail Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 19, 2017
Nice place to make a career if your not looking to make large sums of money. very stable place with good benefits. I receive 21 hours of vacation each month.
Pros
People
One thing good
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 20, 2016
This facility is not bad, the managers are the worst. Physicians are excellent and if they could be the bosses that would make this job a 5/5 rating.
Pros
Paid insurance
Cons
Forced retirement contribution, if you file a complaint against a manager you will be leaving shortly there after.
Nice place to work at.
medical assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXDecember 10, 2015
Great place to work at, I learned alot of things, co-workers were friendly, enjoyable part of the job was the christmas holidays.
Pros
Free lunches, friendly stuff
Cons
People take advantage of the system, i.e long lunch breaks
Cardiology Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 30, 2015
Good place to work with great people. Our mission is solutions for a healthier community and our vision is to be the team of choice for education, discovery and health care. We are succeeding in both areas!
benefits
A fun work environment with a great group of people.
Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 17, 2015
I was given a great opportunity to advance an electronic medical record trainer. The position of Associate Trainer allowed me to learn something new everyday, meet new people and I loved what I did for a living.
Pros
Lots of company activites..lunches, craft shows and vender fairs
Cons
Merger is creating lay-off of staff.
Medical envionment
SENIOR ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TxJuly 25, 2015
Loved working with all the medical departments in medical setting and learning about department. Loved learning the procurement system for a large entity.
Pros
Free lunches, great people
Cons
Low wages
The most enjoyable part of the job
Property Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 16, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job was a time you had to find items that were very hard to locate around the university. Meeting customers and being able to help them to obtain a goal. Learning how to do various positions within the department.
Pros
Free flu vaccine
Cons
Room for advancement
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 20, 2015
Good place to get experience of working in biomediccal labs. Decent core labs and good teaching facility. Good mentors to guide.
Cons
no cafeteria
It's a good place to work, not great, but interesting fulfilling work
Library Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 14, 2015
I worked here for about a year, and I enjoyed my work but left to seek a new career path. I honestly felt overpaid and underworked, its just exhausting and boring trying to find work/projects to do everyday. I came to this job from the private sector and was amazed how things were so laid back and easy going, which I liked but it just got to be too much of a good thing. Typical staff work is easy and not challenging. Sometimes I felt I was just getting paid to come into work and breathe and go through the motions of my job. I left to get a better paying position in a more demanding, interesting job back in the private sector.

Don't get me wrong, it is overall a great place to work, I loved my co-workers and I loved helping students and faculty on a daily basis. I learned so much in the year I worked there, and its a good fit if you're the right kind of person.

But like any public university, there is a lot of bureaucratic/administrative bloat. So it's hard to navigate what dept does what, and a million people can do the same job. A lot of departments don't interact much with each other, so communicating across depts and schools can be difficult. Most people acted like UNT Denton, UNT Dallas, and the University System didn't exist. Inter-campus relations are very bad.

The upper administration tries their best to do activities and events to get the employees to mingle and get to know each other...but we go for the free food and scurry back to our offices.

Sometimes certain faculty and students can be rude and arrogant and act like stereotypical medical students
  more... and doctors, but you learn who they are quickly and avoid them.

Benefits were amazing, except we oddly had no vision coverage. TRS retirement is good or bad depending on your viewpoint, but a 5 year vesting/state match, and 403(b) options are rather terrible. It's a public university do you are dependent on the good graces of the state legislature to fund us, so budget cuts can mean layoffs. I didn't happen when I was there, but its always in the back of your mind when the legislature is in session.

If I could grade my time there, I'd give it a B-
Pros
excellent benefits (but no vision), lots of vacation/holidays, great co-workers, good work culture
Cons
low pay, difficult to advance, poor communication between departments, ambiguous policies, low workloads
Learned new skills
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 6, 2015
As a student, my work schedule was tailored to my convenience and availability. schedule was flexible and I was allowed to work when I could. Deadlines were set and work needed to be complete by then. The hardest part was juggling school work and research work. My co-workers were very helpful and we coordinated and worked according to our availability. I enjoyed learning about how research is carried out both clinical and field research and learned the use of software to analyse data while also learning to create and clean extensive databases.
I enjoyed working with infectious disease physician
Senior LVN (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 4, 2014
I started out managing Neurology and Infectious Disease Clinics. I was then requested in assisting Cardio and Geriatic Clinics. I often helped out with all clinics the same day, was responsible for monitoring patient lab results and returning patients phone calls for approximately 15 physicians.
Pros
I loved the ability to help patients with needs. Loved the patient care.
Cons
Overworked, no great managment or team work withing the facility
Great place to work in the Dallas-FW Metroplex
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 13, 2014
Great organization to work for with outstanding benefits and PTO. The opportunity to give back to others in serving the community by participating in the education of future doctors was truly rewarding.
Pros
Benefits and PTO
Cons
Limited advancement opportunities
Great Benefits
Assistant Director, Clinical Operations (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 24, 2014
Great Benefits..low pay. Need to be competitive with the market. Also need to speed up the hiring process.
Great PA Program
Physician Assistant Studies (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 14, 2014
I spent 3 years at UNTHSC, my anticipated Graduation Date: May 2014
Academia
Teaching Assistant in Health Policy (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 30, 2014
typical academic setting
provocative and engaging
constantly evolving knowledge base
support for research
support for teaching
Pros
Academia
Cons
Academia
A Postive and productive working environment
Community Health Educator (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 27, 2013
A typical day at work involves myself and coworkers working in the field surveying women that are interested in joining The University of North Texas Health Science Center Breast Education Program. I have learned how to communicate with individuals in a low socioeconomic environment. My coworkers are some of the hardest working individuals I have ever encountered. I am very pleased I have had the pleasure of working with such a postivie team. The hardest part of the job is traveling and not getting compensated for my travel. The most enjoyable part of the job that I currently work at is helping women receive mammograms. I personally have helped 3 women fight breast cancer and to add all have survived!
Internship
Guest Service Host (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 5, 2013
I worked with a well rounded group of people who taught me many laboratory techniques in my internship. Very Inviting environment.
Health Science Center
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 9, 2013
Educational experience that was mainly laboratory based.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of North Texas Health Science Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3