University of North Texas Health Science Center

University of North Texas Health Science Center Employee Reviews

It's a good place to work, not great, but interesting fulfilling work
Library Specialist (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXMay 14, 2015
Pros: excellent benefits (but no vision), lots of vacation/holidays, great co-workers, good work culture
Cons: low pay, difficult to advance, poor communication between departments, ambiguous policies, low workloads
I worked here for about a year, and I enjoyed my work but left to seek a new career path. I honestly felt overpaid and underworked, its just exhausting and boring trying to find work/projects to do everyday. I came to this job from the private sector and was amazed how things were so laid back and easy going, which I liked but it just got to be too much of a good thing. Typical staff work is easy and not challenging. Sometimes I felt I was just getting paid to come into work and breathe and go through the motions of my job. I left to get a better paying position in a more demanding, interesting job back in the private sector.

Don't get me wrong, it is overall a great place to work, I loved my co-workers and I loved helping students and faculty on a daily basis. I learned so much in the year I worked there, and its a good fit if you're the right kind of person.

But like any public university, there is a lot of bureaucratic/administrative bloat. So it's hard to navigate what dept does what, and a million people can do the same job. A lot of departments don't interact much with each other, so communicating across depts and schools can be difficult. Most people acted like UNT Denton, UNT Dallas, and the University System didn't exist. Inter-campus relations are very bad.

The upper administration tries their best to do activities and events to get the employees to mingle and get to know each other...but we go for the free food and scurry back to our offices.

Sometimes certain faculty and students can be rude and arrogant and act like stereotypical medical students – more... and doctors, but you learn who they are quickly and avoid them.

Benefits were amazing, except we oddly had no vision coverage. TRS retirement is good or bad depending on your viewpoint, but a 5 year vesting/state match, and 403(b) options are rather terrible. It's a public university do you are dependent on the good graces of the state legislature to fund us, so budget cuts can mean layoffs. I didn't happen when I was there, but its always in the back of your mind when the legislature is in session.

If I could grade my time there, I'd give it a B- – less
Learned new skills
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXJanuary 6, 2015
As a student, my work schedule was tailored to my convenience and availability. schedule was flexible and I was allowed to work when I could. Deadlines were set and work needed to be complete by then. The hardest part was juggling school work and research work. My co-workers were very helpful and we coordinated and worked according to our availability. I enjoyed learning about how research is carried out both clinical and field research and learned the use of software to analyse data while also learning to create and clean extensive databases.
I enjoyed working with infectious disease physician
Senior LVN (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXNovember 4, 2014
Pros: i loved the ability to help patients with needs. loved the patient care.
Cons: overworked, no great managment or team work withing the facility
I started out managing Neurology and Infectious Disease Clinics. I was then requested in assisting Cardio and Geriatic Clinics. I often helped out with all clinics the same day, was responsible for monitoring patient lab results and returning patients phone calls for approximately 15 physicians.
Great place to work in the Dallas-FW Metroplex
Administrator (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXAugust 13, 2014
Pros: benefits and pto
Cons: limited advancement opportunities
Great organization to work for with outstanding benefits and PTO. The opportunity to give back to others in serving the community by participating in the education of future doctors was truly rewarding.
Great Benefits
Assistant Director, Clinical Operations (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXJune 24, 2014
Great Benefits..low pay. Need to be competitive with the market. Also need to speed up the hiring process.
Great PA Program
Physician Assistant Studies (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXMay 14, 2014
I spent 3 years at UNTHSC, my anticipated Graduation Date: May 2014
Academia
Teaching Assistant in Health Policy (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: academia
Cons: academia
typical academic setting
provocative and engaging
constantly evolving knowledge base
support for research
support for teaching
A Postive and productive working environment
Community Health Educator (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXJune 27, 2013
A typical day at work involves myself and coworkers working in the field surveying women that are interested in joining The University of North Texas Health Science Center Breast Education Program. I have learned how to communicate with individuals in a low socioeconomic environment. My coworkers are some of the hardest working individuals I have ever encountered. I am very pleased I have had the pleasure of working with such a postivie team. The hardest part of the job is traveling and not getting compensated for my travel. The most enjoyable part of the job that I currently work at is helping women receive mammograms. I personally have helped 3 women fight breast cancer and to add all have survived!
Internship
Guest Service Host (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXJune 5, 2013
I worked with a well rounded group of people who taught me many laboratory techniques in my internship. Very Inviting environment.
Health Science Center
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXMay 9, 2013
Educational experience that was mainly laboratory based.
Productive and Instructive Work Environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXMarch 24, 2013
I have had a wonderful opportunity to participate and contribute to the Pediatric Department of the University Of North Texas Health Science Center. Every day, I have had the privilege to work with some of healthcare’s finest professionals. While working with these professionals, I have learned so much about the practical matters of conducting clinical research such as negotiating budgets, creating source documents and navigating FDA regulations.
Dealt with medical insurance companies
Business Office Account Representative (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXSeptember 21, 2012
Pros: relaxed hours, add'l time off
Cons: sudden tightening of rules then relaxing again.
I had specific insurance companies that I would review reimbursement from and appeal as necessary. My supervisor was very knowledgable however she was not always available when needed.
This university is a great place to learn and meet great people
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXSeptember 18, 2012
When working on campus, you have the ease to schedule your own times of work. You can only work 19hrs a week when your a student so this allows for time to do your school work as well. I learned many things on campus, managing difficult situations being the main one. My co-workers were fellow schools and we shared a lot of common interests. The hardest part of the job was understanding that not all people can communicate exactly whats on their mind for the tasks to be done. I learned to deceifer what the important tasks are and when they needed to be done in an orderly fashion. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new things while used knowledge I had obtained in undergrad. It was a learning experience and well worth it.
Great research environment, great benefits, friendly staff
Research Coordinator (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXJuly 10, 2012
A typical day of work is testing mice on equipment and recording behavior. I've learned a lot of behavioral analysis, biochemistry, time management, and teamwork. My co-workers and I function as a unit, without them, our research would be less productive. The hardest part of the job is not getting attached to the animals. The most enjoyable part of the job is analyzing the results from our studies and our predictions are proven with our data.

About University of North Texas Health Science Center

The University of North Texas Health Science Center is composed of the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine, the Graduate School – Read more