University of Northern Colorado Employee Review

View all University of Northern Colorado reviews

Great place to work and impact kids lives, hard place to make a living.
Head Wrestling Coach (Current Employee) –  Greeley, COSeptember 24, 2013
There is no such thing as a typical day as a college coach. When dealing with 30 kids, you are constantly faced with daily challenges, disappointments, victories, and battles. You have to be a problem solver, a great communicator, a mentor, and a bad guy on occasion. On top of dealing with the kids and figuring out how to make them successful, you are dealing with a less than appropriate budget in which you are expected to build a successful program with.

Through this job I have learned how to manage people, how to communicate effectively, and how to make things work even under the most difficult of circumstances. Because of budget short falls, I have often times had to be creative and have an I'm going to get it done anyhow attitude. This has helped me build a team with a great group of kids as well as develop a great culture.

The hardest part of this job is not taking all the setbacks, losses, and challenges personally. There are a lot of variables out of your control in a position like this, you have to realize that and do your best to minimize your reaction to certain situations, and keep a cool head in all situations. The best part of this job is working with the kids and seeing them achieve their goals or doing something they didn't think they could do. Overall, seeing that is what makes dealing with all the other stuff (the NCAA, administration, conduct issues, lack of funds, angry alumni, parents, etc...) worth it.
Pros
Freedom to build own schedule, great benefits, working with kids.
Cons
hours worked during season, salary, having yuor livleyhood resting on the shoulders of thirty 18-24 year olds.

Other University of Northern Colorado Employee Reviews

Adjunct faculty
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Greeley, CO 80639November 20, 2017
I enjoyed working with graduate students and wish there were better communication between core faculty and adjunct faculty. I never knew if I would be teaching the next semester until fairly close to the start of the new semester, which did not allow much prep time. I rarely spoke with core faculty about expectations.
Pros
teaching expereince
Cons
lack of communication
Good place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greeley, CONovember 11, 2017
A good place to work. Environment is always changing and added to the variety of work and atmosphere. Experienced a diverse culture and enjoyed all the people.