University of Northern Iowa Employee Reviews

productive and fun. Good people, polite people. I learned a lot.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAJuly 9, 2017
I liked working at University of Northern Iowa. My job involved a lot of research and writing. So I would spend most of my time at the library. the library assistant would help me if I have a problem. the professor that I was working under was very supportive. As an International student, first few months were challenging but after a while due to the love and support, I didn't encounter much difficulties. So I am proud and happy to have worked at University of Northern Iowa.

The good thing about mid-west is people here are good and polite. They smile at you and if you have a problem, you have to ask them and they are ready to help.
Pros
Small and cozy
Cons
Not much people
Great place to work with friendly people
Front Desk Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAJune 26, 2017
The Office of Business Operations at UNI was a great place to work. My duties were clear and my supervisor did well in training me. The workplace culture is very friendly, and there is a social committee that organizes fun events. The hardest part of the job was learning all the information, but using my knowledge to help others get their questions answered was very rewarding.
Great university with countless opportunities for social activism
PIEER Intern (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAJune 25, 2017
University of Northern Iowa provided me the opportunity to join the Panther Initiative for Environmental Equity and Resilience , a group that focuses on social justice initiatives and environmental sustainability.
Wonderful place to work!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAJune 20, 2017
This has remained my favorite job. Management is awesome, benefits are great. Cohesive culture and positive reinforcement. Opportunity to grow with the university and many opportunities to explore other career opportunities.
Pros
Great people!
Cons
Enjoyed Working and my student life
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAMay 15, 2017
I learned so much over the years I spent as a lab assistant. I really like my boss as well as the amount of people I have helped throughout the years whether being projects or just keeping company and maintaining the labs.
Worked for the school.
Event Setup Crew (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAMay 13, 2017
I worked for 2 months before getting a new job. This job was okay but we would work late into the night for pretty low pay and bad management. We would be given tasks at the beginning and then he would leave and we would never see him.
Pros
Learned to read a setup
Cons
Late nights, low pay.
Unique workplace with good benefits
RESIDENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAMay 3, 2017
Being a resident assistant (RA) at the University of Northern Iowa is a competitive job to acquire, but the benefits are very good. They include a yearly stipend as well as free room & board. A typical day at work consists of meeting with residents, planning/putting on programs, and being on call (usually once or twice per week). I learned how to effectively manage my time during my three years as an RA. The management is specific to each building. The workplace culture usually depends on the type of building you're in. The hardest part of the job is living where you work, as well as establishing a balance between life, school, and being a good RA. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping residents become successful students and good leaders.
Pros
Free room & board, guaranteed preferred parking availability, generous night-away allowance
Cons
Small stipend, living where you work, not much personal time
Student-centered and encourages personal well-being
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAApril 20, 2017
The University of Northern Iowa does a great job at putting students needs first. They focus on helping students succeed both academically and in their life outside of the classroom.
very flexible hours and decent pay
Cashier/Stocker (Current Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAApril 6, 2017
fun place to work if you are seeking a degree here and need temporary work. The management is pretty unreliable and they dont do much. the real work is done by students.
Great Job
Athletics Department Liberal Arts Core Tutor (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IA 50613April 5, 2017
I worked for the athletics department and had little to no problems except if an athlete didn't show up for his/her appointment. Over all great job culture and great people to work with.
Fantastic experience as a student working with peers
Writing Tutor (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAFebruary 3, 2017
I spent four semesters tutoring fellow undergraduates and graduate students with their writing. Each semester was more fulfilling than the one before, and each served as an opportunity to develop teaching strategies that I would later use in the middle school classroom.

My supervisor was an excellent instructor and mentor throughout my employment at the Writing Center. She frequently met with each tutor to follow up on our progress with students or upon our request when we needed assistance.
Pros
Developing instructional skills
Cons
Occasionally tutoring arrogant graduate students
Awesome people
Set up Crew (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAJanuary 13, 2017
The pay for this job is very good for what you do. The management is amazing for this job, the only bad thing is having an unset schedule that could change at any time.
Pros
Good Pay, Good Hours
Cons
No breaks
Amazing University
Strength and Conditioning Undergrad Coach (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IADecember 30, 2016
It is the perfect sized university with amazing professors. The ratio of professor to student is perfect. You do not feel like a number but a person.
Great place to work with friendly staff
Student Garden Manager (Current Employee) –  Panther PlotNovember 1, 2016
A typical day at work for me this summer was coming to the garden, watering, pulling weeds, and planting or harvesting anything that needed to be. I enjoyed my coworker's company and respected my supervisor greatly.
Good quality overall
Dining Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IASeptember 2, 2016
Rialto Dinning Center was another great college job. The management was very kind and understanding on being able to connect to the students inside and outside of work. It helped give me the confidence needed to want to pursue working in a kitchen as a living. The job helped me learn kitchen skills along with communication skills when talking to different levels of employees and employers. Working with other students helped relieve the stress of the job since everyone was in the same boat on dealing with school at the same time. The co-workers were very supportive in times of stress and were willing to help out on the situation one was stuck in. The most enjoyable part of the job was being taught skills in the kitchen by the lead cook in which one would not have thought of doing or learning if ne was not willing to do extra work.
Pros
Managers were very friendly, the main cooks were willing to go the distance on teaching new skills to the students, the co-workers were always willing to help out
Great overall enviroment for my first Collegiate Coaching experience.
Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach (Current Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAMarch 31, 2016
Days typically run from 4:00/4:30 AM until 7:00. Early morning typically workout personally, then begin training athletes at 6:30 AM. We'll get two or three sports teams completed by 7:30/8:00. After that (depending on the semester) I'll either have a small team, or need to teach. After completing my teaching obligations I typically have an hour for lunch and coach and program the rest of the afternoon.

I get the opportunity to work build young individuals during some of the most critical periods of their lives. It is a truly amazing experience day in and day out. I also get to help train future Strength & Conditioning professionals through our graduate college. So being able to witness individuals personal growth over months and years is incredible.

The hardest part of the job are the hours, there sometimes just isn't enough time in the day to complete everything.
security, and setting up for events
Assistant dome operations worker (Current Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IADecember 8, 2015
Fun work environment and funny managers. You get to meet lots of new people. You get to work certain athletic events that you sign up for and you usually get to watch fun close games.
Pros
free meals, Athletic events
Cons
miss some holiday vacation
Hidden treasure in Iowa
Teacher, University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IANovember 30, 2015
UNI is not as well known to most outsiders as the University of Iowa, or Iowa State. But it is an impressively high-quality university, with dedicated professors. I spent two years there in the Master's Program in TESOL, passing all coursework, but not writing a thesis. My work involved student teaching almost exclusively of ESL students at the college level, though I also tutored American students at the Writing Center, helping them sharpen their own work. This was a serious academic work environment. The hardest part fo the job was preparing lessons for people of many different linguistic backgrounds. The most enjoyable part was meeting so many different people in a smaller cityscape.
Tech @ UNI
Computer Technician (Current Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAOctober 14, 2015
I love my job here at UNI it has given me a lot of experience to carry over to the business world that i will be able to make a great asset to any company with the work experience i gained here
Market Research
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAJuly 8, 2015
Great work environment with friendly co-workers. Opportunity to provide valuable market research for start-up and established businesses, which is great for giving back to the community.