University of Northern Iowa Employee Reviews

Fantastic experience as a student working with peers
Writing Tutor (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAFebruary 3, 2017
I spent four semesters tutoring fellow undergraduates and graduate students with their writing. Each semester was more fulfilling than the one before, and each served as an opportunity to develop teaching strategies that I would later use in the middle school classroom.

My supervisor was an excellent instructor and mentor throughout my employment at the Writing Center. She frequently met with each tutor to follow up on our progress with students or upon our request when we needed assistance.
Pros
Developing instructional skills
Cons
Occasionally tutoring arrogant graduate students
Awesome people
Set up Crew (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAJanuary 13, 2017
The pay for this job is very good for what you do. The management is amazing for this job, the only bad thing is having an unset schedule that could change at any time.
Pros
Good Pay, Good Hours
Cons
No breaks
Amazing University
Strength and Conditioning Undergrad Coach (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IADecember 30, 2016
It is the perfect sized university with amazing professors. The ratio of professor to student is perfect. You do not feel like a number but a person.
Great place to work with friendly staff
Student Garden Manager (Current Employee) –  Panther PlotNovember 1, 2016
A typical day at work for me this summer was coming to the garden, watering, pulling weeds, and planting or harvesting anything that needed to be. I enjoyed my coworker's company and respected my supervisor greatly.
Good quality overall
Dining Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IASeptember 2, 2016
Rialto Dinning Center was another great college job. The management was very kind and understanding on being able to connect to the students inside and outside of work. It helped give me the confidence needed to want to pursue working in a kitchen as a living. The job helped me learn kitchen skills along with communication skills when talking to different levels of employees and employers. Working with other students helped relieve the stress of the job since everyone was in the same boat on dealing with school at the same time. The co-workers were very supportive in times of stress and were willing to help out on the situation one was stuck in. The most enjoyable part of the job was being taught skills in the kitchen by the lead cook in which one would not have thought of doing or learning if ne was not willing to do extra work.
Pros
Managers were very friendly, the main cooks were willing to go the distance on teaching new skills to the students, the co-workers were always willing to help out
Great overall enviroment for my first Collegiate Coaching experience.
Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach (Current Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAMarch 31, 2016
Days typically run from 4:00/4:30 AM until 7:00. Early morning typically workout personally, then begin training athletes at 6:30 AM. We'll get two or three sports teams completed by 7:30/8:00. After that (depending on the semester) I'll either have a small team, or need to teach. After completing my teaching obligations I typically have an hour for lunch and coach and program the rest of the afternoon.

I get the opportunity to work build young individuals during some of the most critical periods of their lives. It is a truly amazing experience day in and day out. I also get to help train future Strength & Conditioning professionals through our graduate college. So being able to witness individuals personal growth over months and years is incredible.

The hardest part of the job are the hours, there sometimes just isn't enough time in the day to complete everything.
security, and setting up for events
Assistant dome operations worker (Current Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IADecember 8, 2015
Fun work environment and funny managers. You get to meet lots of new people. You get to work certain athletic events that you sign up for and you usually get to watch fun close games.
Pros
free meals, Athletic events
Cons
miss some holiday vacation
Hidden treasure in Iowa
Teacher, University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IANovember 30, 2015
UNI is not as well known to most outsiders as the University of Iowa, or Iowa State. But it is an impressively high-quality university, with dedicated professors. I spent two years there in the Master's Program in TESOL, passing all coursework, but not writing a thesis. My work involved student teaching almost exclusively of ESL students at the college level, though I also tutored American students at the Writing Center, helping them sharpen their own work. This was a serious academic work environment. The hardest part fo the job was preparing lessons for people of many different linguistic backgrounds. The most enjoyable part was meeting so many different people in a smaller cityscape.
Tech @ UNI
Computer Technician (Current Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAOctober 14, 2015
I love my job here at UNI it has given me a lot of experience to carry over to the business world that i will be able to make a great asset to any company with the work experience i gained here
Market Research
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAJuly 8, 2015
Great work environment with friendly co-workers. Opportunity to provide valuable market research for start-up and established businesses, which is great for giving back to the community.
Great work place
Operations (Current Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IowaJune 13, 2015
Did anything the University needed set up or torn down. I had a great boss that always helped if I had any questions and had great co-workers that worked hard to get our task done.
Excelent Student Employment
Dining Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAMay 22, 2015
Flexible schedule
Routine daily work
Secure job
Can be difficult to work with some people
Love the atmosphere
Learned Culinary standards
Great University
Student Speech and Language Clinician (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAApril 28, 2015
UNI has provided me with the skills needed in order to be successful. I feel prepared to enter the work force and pursue my Master's degree in Speech-Language Pathology.
Productive & fun day as a graduate assistant
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAFebruary 11, 2015
Very accomodating, friendly atmosphere. UNI created a wonderful environment to learn and thrive in. Support of faculty to students is an added bonus.
Great place to learn the basics of working in the sports industry.
Sports Information Director (Current Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IADecember 14, 2014
There are many things that I love about working at the University of Northern Iowa. The biggest thing is I love the people who work there. They are all very positive and influential people, who genuinly care about your learning and improving on thejob.
Productive and fun workplace
adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IowaOctober 26, 2014
Productive and fun workplace. My co-workers are very helpful. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I am in the class dealing with students on different academic issues so I got really good experience.
Great club with hard working friends
Teaching Assistant - Research Methods (Current Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAOctober 15, 2014
A typical day at rugby practice would be from 4pm-6pm on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday and we have a game every Saturday. The people in this club are fun to be around and also hard-working. The hardest part of this club is the time commitment I have to make and the amount of work I put towards it. The most enjoyable part of this club is the people I play rugby with and the great feeling of winning a rugby game.
Pros
Stay in shape, have a great time
Cons
Time consuming, not a school sponsored club
Its a university
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAOctober 8, 2014
Nothing really to rate about this. It was a pretty much solo project that I worked on, so no cons or positives.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Student position
Student Employee (Current Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAJune 2, 2014
Wages are decent for student employment without work study.
A great place to work
Supervising Photography Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAMay 7, 2014
The Art faculty are generous and caring. It was a VERY supportive work environment.
Pros
Supportive
Cons
Pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Northern Iowa. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5