University of Notre Dame Employee Reviews

Productive and efficient workplace
Office of Development-Data Coordinator (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJanuary 18, 2016
The University of Notre Dame has a very efficient staff and a host of programs designed to help employees reach their goals. I have enjoyed my time there.
Good work environment.
Office Assistant in the Parking Services Office (Former Employee) –  Notre Dame, INJanuary 16, 2016
Good work environment. Job security. One of the most enjoyable things about working at ND, was meeting students, faculty and staff from all around the world.
run from the university
Post-Doctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Notre Dame, INJanuary 13, 2016
Not a nice place to work. Worst management. Lot of hassle. A few departments are good, but most of worse. They treat you very badly. Medical insurance - Awful
Pros
Cons
run from the university
Great place to work!
Interim Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Notre Dame, INJanuary 4, 2016
Notre Dame is truly a family. Everyone works a bettering the university. It has been a pleasure working for such a supportive school.
A great learning environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Notre Dame, INJanuary 4, 2016
I learned a lot and the professors, students, and staff members are very friendly an approachable. Overall, the environment encourages learning and collaboration to tackle hard and important research topics.
Research Faculty at Notre Dame
Research Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Notre Dame, INDecember 25, 2015
I am currently a faculty at the University of Notre Dame. I earned my PhD from here as well. My experience is so far superb, mostly due to my supervisor. I enjoy the liberty and flexibility in work schedule, project election, etc.
Pros
lots of projects opportunities, liberty and flexibility in work schedule, project election
Cons
Experience can vary
Football Parking Attendant
Football Parking Attendant (Former Employee) –  Notre Dame, INDecember 10, 2015
Enjoyed interactions with the co-workers and general public. Had a healthy relationship within as well. Game day parking, was something I will always remember.
Pros
supervisors and co-workers
Cons
seasonal
need a knew home to feel secure.
wash line attendant (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INDecember 2, 2015
I would be here for retirement but unfortunatly our plant supervisor passed away and noone there cares anymore they have kathy who is high on med. everyday and i feel she is trying to ruin the plant so nobody there has a job anymore.
Pros
its a paycheck.
Cons
too much confusion
decent
associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 15, 2015
Fun place to work. The people are cool. Nice work life balance, get to meet celebrities and their teams. Awesome opportunity to work independently.
Positive workplace with great benefits and experiences
Athletic Grounds Crew Associate (Former Employee) –  ND stadiumOctober 29, 2015
MY job was to take care of and maintain the athletic fields and surrounding areas of Notre Dame campus. Using a variety of operational equipment such as forklifts, trucks, lawn mowers, etc. the team and myself would maintain the fields and stadiums for all of the Notre Dame athletics. Benefits for me included being on the fields for all of the athletic events and being part of the ND community. The only con of the job was for the past few years it has been a seasonal position, only allowing me 1000 hours per year.
Fun part-time job
Food and Dishroom Associate (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INAugust 12, 2015
In the 2 years I worked here, I found there to be a lot of flexibility with hours, a lot of potential for upward movement, and very nice people.
Pros
Free dinner, free breaks
Depending on department and position, it can either be great or not
Administrarive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Notre Dame, INAugust 8, 2015
Being a Catholic institution, the university is very conscientious about the treatment of their people and resources in their mission statement; however, how a particular manager or department follow that mission is hit or miss. I have had both wonderful and bewildering experiences. Most people are helpful and friendly. The benefits and training are superior. A weak point is how they handle their human resources. They provide great resources to their humans, but they do not resource their humans well. If a position is not to your liking, be prepared to stay there for awhile for the competition for each job opening is significant. Also, if your position is eliminated, HR has no contingency plans for you, even if you have been an exemplary employee. You will have to network and apply online to the jobs just like everyone else.
Pros
benefits, atmosphere
Cons
lack of general and upward mobility, inconsistent quality in managers/departments
Productive workplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Notre Dame, INJuly 22, 2015
Great job, love the students and the graduate students.
Work daily with microsoft office, Notre Dame web-based programs, budgets, registration along with daily day to day tasks with answering phones, photo copying, printing, mail, and paperwork.
The hardest part of my job is no advancement or growth.
The most enjoyable part about my job is interaction with professors and students.
Productive work place. Didn't seem to care to much about their workers life outside of work.
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Notre Dame, INJuly 14, 2015
Fast pace work place with strong management support. Loved the people I worked with and enjoyed my time working with them.
Pros
Discount on Notre Dame apparel
Cons
Working 3rd shift.
Very Professional
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Notre Dame, INJune 18, 2015
They want and demand the best of their employees, and one needs to be prepared for the culture that pervades the University
Great Summer Job
Lab Assistant to Dr. Hellenthal (Current Employee) –  Notre Dame, INJune 9, 2015
Was charged with microscope repair and identifying problems with microscope systems. Also was charged with generating inventory lists using Microsoft Excel.
Pros
flexible hours
Professional place to work
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Department of Biological SciencesJune 2, 2015
I worked in the university for several years and my experience was always good. Everybody is friendly and very professional, always helped with the day to day activities and needs. The benefits offered were always good. Overall the university is a great place to work.
Athletics
Athletics Employee (Former Employee) –  Notre Dame, INMay 14, 2015
I enjoyed my time with the University and the opportunities it provided. Would highly recommend the University of Notre Dame to any possible employee.
They had all the spors I enjoy
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INMay 11, 2015
They let me practice with their waterpolo team.
I enjoy working here because on my lunch break I was Ice skating.On my free time I was playing Volleyball
Pros
Spor activities
Cons
It was very freaking cold place.
Good benefits, experience working there depends on who you work with/for
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Notre Dame, INApril 17, 2015
My experience working there for many years depended on who I worked with and for. Some supervisors are great and just want to get the job done in the most efficient way. Others know some part of the work they should be doing but don't know basic things, like how to run meetings, keep co-workers from arguing, or they give a lot of work to some workers and little to those who just pretend to be busy. HR says they'll help but in my experience, co-workers who filed a formal complaint got nowhere. Pretty much what you would expect from HR. But the benefits are good, and it is a pretty stable place to work.
The most enjoyable part of the job is always, to me, working with students because you know you are doing work that will put people with a solid education and good background into the world. It is also the hardest part, since they need a lot of hand-holding. The other hardest part is when you have a supervisor who shouldn't be a supervisor. It's surprising, you wouldn't think that at ND there would be supervisors who would raise their voices, be mean or accusatory, but there definitely are people like that at ND. If you apply, keep an eye out for any inkling of this behavior, and it isn't worth taking the job thinking you can switch in a year. Supervisors can be mean and make it hard for you to change jobs by not giving positive performance reviews. Some are just plain crazy. Others are great, so just be careful. Also, ASK to see the work area. When you do you will see how the other employees are. If they look hunched over and scared to look up to say, "Hello," take note. It
  more... isn't a good sign. If you meet a committee of your potential coworkers, if they seem afraid to talk, that's not a good sign. If the boss seems nuts, he probably is.  less
Pros
Good benefits, fair salary
Cons
Can have crazy supervisors, in some jobs the work is piled on you, so much that you work at a fast pace all day every day and there is a lot of pressure, combine that with a mean boss can make it a hard place to work

4.2