University of Notre Dame Employee Reviews

Worked with good people.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Notre Dame, INDecember 13, 2016
The University of Notre Dame has changed! Money is the driving force now! They don't try to live up to their own mission statement. I got tired of hearing that the endowment dropped from 7 billion to 6.9 billion so they couldn't give anyone a raise. Management in my department was horrible. From one supervisor to the next meant different requirements for the same job. Lazy people got raises (when given) and hard working people got nothing. The men were expected to do more than the women for same or less pay!
Research to Dept. you're hiring into!
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Notre Dame, INDecember 12, 2016
I'm sure that the overall experience at ND is good, my experience was not. So be very carefully which dept. you hire into. There is no recourse when you have a very dysfunctional manager and assistant manager. It's all about who you are and how much money you bring to the university.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Not able to take advantage of good benefits.
Notre Dame
Graduate Coordinator (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INMay 13, 2016
Not a great place to work. Hard to advance and HR not supportive of employees. Benefits are OK, but not the best. Not much consideration for family/work balance.
Intellectually stimulating
Program Manager, Business Development (Former Employee) –  Notre Dame, INJanuary 17, 2017
Working at ND is intellectually stimulating. Environment is tough and much too bottom line oriented and how are you bringing in funds. Very little support but great autonomy.
Pros
University environment
Cons
Bottom line mindset
Strong leadership and incredible school spirit!
Lead Recruitment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJuly 31, 2016
The University of Notre Dame is second-to-none in school spirit. I lived in South Bend for two years and worked at the Mendoza School of Business in a contract position for 5 months. It was the people I was surrounded by that made me feel such a close connection to the institution. The leadership empowered me to be the best I could be and to succeed in my position. My co-workers were supportive and friendly. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people. The hardest part of the job was the tight deadlines. I was hired in a contract position so it was expected that there would be these kinds of deadlines.
Positive workplace with great benefits and experiences
Athletic Grounds Crew Associate (Former Employee) –  ND stadiumOctober 29, 2015
MY job was to take care of and maintain the athletic fields and surrounding areas of Notre Dame campus. Using a variety of operational equipment such as forklifts, trucks, lawn mowers, etc. the team and myself would maintain the fields and stadiums for all of the Notre Dame athletics. Benefits for me included being on the fields for all of the athletic events and being part of the ND community. The only con of the job was for the past few years it has been a seasonal position, only allowing me 1000 hours per year.
Workplace
Admisssions CoOrdinator - MBA Program (Former Employee) –  Notre Dame, INDecember 23, 2016
Able to interact with students that were applying for certain program, scheduling, recording grades, providing memos to the professors.

Good Communication
Pros
Enjoyed the honor of working for college
Cons
n/a
Enjoyable for Educational Purposes
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Notre Dame, INNovember 13, 2016
They are able to provide an outstanding education and work environment. They help students be able to live a normal life outside of work to some extent. It is required to have a rigorous schedule.
Good place for an internship
Customer IT Solutions Intern (Former Employee) –  Notre Dame, INNovember 7, 2016
Got to work with different departments doing different projects. Always felt like there was something to do or another project to start. Superiors were very helpful and easy to work for.
Depending on department and position, it can either be great or not
Administrarive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Notre Dame, INAugust 8, 2015
Being a Catholic institution, the university is very conscientious about the treatment of their people and resources in their mission statement; however, how a particular manager or department follow that mission is hit or miss. I have had both wonderful and bewildering experiences. Most people are helpful and friendly. The benefits and training are superior. A weak point is how they handle their human resources. They provide great resources to their humans, but they do not resource their humans well. If a position is not to your liking, be prepared to stay there for awhile for the competition for each job opening is significant. Also, if your position is eliminated, HR has no contingency plans for you, even if you have been an exemplary employee. You will have to network and apply online to the jobs just like everyone else.
Pros
benefits, atmosphere
Cons
lack of general and upward mobility, inconsistent quality in managers/departments
Fun Work Enviornment
Athletic Department Extern (Former Employee) –  Notre Dame, INAugust 15, 2016
Good culture and people. Everyone truly seemed to enjoy their work and were engaged in doing whatever they could to make Notre Dame a better place.
God, Country, Notre Dame
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Notre Dame, INAugust 3, 2016
There is no better place to work than in the shadow of the Golden Dome. Dedicated professors and undaunted staff. All live thier faith and the students are amazing, top of the crop. You will find your time there rewarding and you will become a football fan
Pros
Live faith
Cons
South Bend is in the middle of nowhere
Director of Facility Operations (Former Employee) –  Notre Dame, INJune 24, 2016
Excellent systems of support in place for positive work environment. Longtime staff that is knowledgeable and dedicated. Close knit culture that is also process oriented. Great investment in staff and positive, progressive change.
Pros
High level training and positive culture
Beware the Golden tether
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Notre Dame, INOctober 21, 2012
The university is a very pleseant place to work. One should be aware of th shortcomings, you will not be paid similar wages to private sector positions requiring similar skill levels, you will not have the opportunity of advancement you would in the private sector and you will be subject the the Universities moralistic philosophies in terms of benefits and vacations.

The non-monetary benefits out way almost any shortcomings. Flexibility is fantastic in most departments. There are no less than 14 paid holidays that correspond to US federally recognized holidays and the Catholic celebrations. Employees start with 2 weeks of vacation in addition to that.

After you are vested in retirement and can take full advantage of the dependent education benefits, it is VERY hard to leave the University.
Pros
ample vacation and holiday time, discounts to sporting events and at the bookstore.
Cons
"compassionate fascism", no reproductive health services covered by health care except for child birth, trapped audience at dining establishments on campus (stadium/airport pricing for fast food)
Love Thee Notre Dame
Monogram Club Intern (Current Employee) –  Notre Dame, INAugust 14, 2012
I loved working at the University of Notre Dame. I grew up a big fan and being able to be a part of the behind the scenes things that go into athletics was a blast. I would have liked to apply for a full-time and larger pay job, but I got married and moved to Mississippi with my wife. She is about the only thing that is more important to me than working there. It is my goal to one day go back to Notre Dame and work there again. I had an excellent experience and the people I worked with are the most professional and helpful people I could have met.
Pros
benefits, people, atmosphere
Cons
so many good people that often times i was not put in charge and i had to do tedious tasks.
Athletic Department
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Notre Dame, INSeptember 26, 2012
Working at Notre Dame has perks and excellent benefits. However some management should not be in the positions they are in and without a four year degree (undergrad) there is little to no hope for advancement
Pros
free athletic events, and clothes
Cons
university comes before home life and insufficient means of advancement
good environment
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INMay 30, 2016
ther was a culture of respect and self esteem.The supervisors were making sure you advance and learn new thins all the time.
Pros
security
Cons
low pay
Professional place to work
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Department of Biological SciencesJune 2, 2015
I worked in the university for several years and my experience was always good. Everybody is friendly and very professional, always helped with the day to day activities and needs. The benefits offered were always good. Overall the university is a great place to work.
Productive and fun environment
Horticulture Specialist (Former Employee) –  Notre Dame, INOctober 29, 2012
Mow grass, grounds keeping of campus.
Management = the BEST bosses I've ever worked for.
I really enjoyed working with my co-workers.
Most enjoyable part of the job was working outside for a prestige university
Pros
college atmosphere
benefits
Nice place
Bakery Worker (Former Employee) –  Notre Dame, INJune 12, 2016
Nice clean place to work. was able to get along with my co-workers. The also provided a workout room for the employees which was very nice.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Notre Dame. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2