University of Oregon Employee Reviews

Colleagues were wonderful
Regional Development Director (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 9, 2017
a main point of contingency is that several male employees, who were not contributing to the level of responsibility, expectations and fundraising goals that several females were, received salary increases as well as title promotions - and the females did not ...several have left the university.
Pros
Athletic programs benefit fundraising
Cons
Salary discrepancies
Work place is excellent
Student Orientation Staff (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORFebruary 14, 2017
Great benefits and place to work, respectful colleagues and continuous training and development workshops. They invest in improving their employees skills.
Good for nothing
Test Administrator (Former Employee) –  Ashland, ORJanuary 9, 2017
Lasted a month in female feedback loop. Anyone who may be different, be warned. The job was easy and slow-paced. Lots of sitting around and troubleshooting computers.
Wonderful employer
Office Specialist 1 / Temporary Assignment (Former Employee) –  Eugene, OROctober 18, 2016
I was hired at a dept of uo: (Casls) this is a second language study funded by gov grants. The mgmt was wonderful and flexible.
Pros
Free lunches, casual work atmosphere
Cons
Short term due to non prifit funding
Wonderful school
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORNovember 17, 2016
The University of Oregon is a great place to work and study. I really enjoyed teaching Mandarin Chinese there. I learned a lot about language pedagogy.
Nice atmosphere
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORNovember 2, 2015
This university has a very nice atmosphere to work. Teacher Assistants and and Research Assistants receive relatively good compensation and good health insurance. Though this university is not that much competitive to other good university for science and engineering.
Pros
Insurance, Compensation
A great place to work while completing my college education.
Student Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORAugust 24, 2016
During my time at the University of Oregon I needed a place to work part time. Although the work was tiring, it allowed me to create my own work ethic that I strive to keep in the jobs I will have in the future.
Fun place to work at.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORSeptember 8, 2016
Working for concessions is kind of okay . But not really fun but I rather be with the Duck athletes instead. But fun to talk with your friends. But it is fun.
Pros
Ya free lunches.
Cons
Ya everything.
Fun and Great Learning Experience
Anthropology Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORMarch 11, 2016
I love my job in the university lab. I get to handle and examine human remains and identify and articulate bone fragments. It's excellent experience for my career goal of being a Forensic Anthropologist. I only wish I could be paid, but my professor can afford to pay me. I love my job and working one on one with my professor who teaches me a lot about anthropology and Osteology but also gives me advice and experiences to help me prepare for grad school.
Pros
Handling bones, Learning how to identify and diagnose particular things, getting to know my professor one on one
Cons
volunteer
Go Ducks
Campus Activites (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 24, 2016
Amazing school, great facilities and endless possibilities. While at Oregon I took advantage of e great relationship I had built with my career councilor to help find me a job that I was a good fit for and one I would enjoy. The school seems to be getting better and better each year!
Amazing experience as a Research Assistant. Great for undegrad students seeking experience.
Memory & Attention Lab Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 8, 2016
The other RA's were also fun and amazing to work with. The participants for the study were easy going. Putting in the data in various notebooks and data files on the computer were pretty easy to do.
Supportive Environment
Stream Stewardship Team Member (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 21, 2016
This was an interesting class I've taken because we did a lot of work outside of school with partners around the area. This was all very new to me and I've learned so much after being a part of the team.
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anthropology departmentApril 30, 2012
Graduate Teaching Fellowship is a fun way to pay for graduate school while helping the professor and undergraduate students. If you qualify for financial support, for that is. If teaching the students directly is your thing, teaching a discussion section is available. Some classes even allow experienced GTFs to teach a full class. The only downside is grading the students papers and homework.
Pros
pays for school plus small salary.
Cons
grading papers is a lot of work, during finals week none the less.
Review Summary
Student Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 31, 2015
Working at the University, I learned how to work with a variety of different people, doing various different jobs. A typical day at work mostly involved working at multiple different stations, including espresso, salads, and sandwiches. On the espresso bar, I made drinks and rang in orders, for salads, I made custom and pre made salads. On the sandwich bar I worked with other people to make toasted and cold sandwiches from order forms. I learned how to make espresso drinks which was something I did not know how to do before, as well as work in a team. Overall we were well managed, though most of the training came from fellow student employees, and some managers felt as though they were above doing certain jobs. I enjoyed working with most of my coworkers, and after a while we became like a bit of a family. Most people I worked with, I got along with very well, and was able to communicate clearly with. The hardest part of the job was probably staying on my feet for long periods of time, and going from one station to another. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with great people and getting to interact with customers on a daily basis. In addition, I enjoyed making espresso drinks and food for customers.
Pros
Free lunches, flexible schedule
Cons
Low wages, No benefits
good woork for students
Barista (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 15, 2016
Awesome first job. Good way to gain some basic costumer service work skills while going to collage. You serve and work mostly with your peers.
Solid job that is nicely structured
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORAugust 7, 2013
If you want to learn about all aspects of custodial work you can. You can also work the bare minimum. If you prove yourself there is room for advancement. Good benefits. Safety first job. You can get a good routine or get some challenges working.
Pros
The job molds to you.
Cons
To much union protection
Productive and fun workplace
FRONT DESK RECEPTIONIST‬ (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 12, 2016
There are many great things that come from working at the University of Oregon. We have a great team that helps our system keep going.
Pros
They work around your school schedule
Cons
a limited amount of hours
Teacher, researcher, student
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORMarch 25, 2015
I taught at the University of Oregon both as a graduate student and an adjunct instructor designing and teaching both brick-and-mortar as well as online courses. I created over seven different courses, designed a syllabus, prepared lectures, facilitated class discussions, met individually with students to discuss a plethora of concerns, graded student work promptly and regularly, and worked with a diverse group of colleagues in various contexts. The work environment, as I imagine is the case with any university setting, is fast-paced and high-stress, as everyone needs to juggle multiple tasks all the time (research, teaching, administrative work, committee work, etc). It's a very difficult time to be an adjunct instructor right now, as the pay is not good and the benefits are not guaranteed (I do not know from one year to the next how many class I'll be teaching, which directly affects my salary and benefits eligibility). While my colleagues were great and the work is meaningful, I would encourage anyone interested in pursuing a PhD to seriously read about the state of higher education before applying. Jobs are scarce, most labor is contingent, you may have no control over where you work, and the level of competition is very high, because there are magnitudes more PhDs granted each year than jobs created.
Research Assistant - INTERN
Research Assistant - INTERN (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORSeptember 22, 2014
Encourage qualified peers to participate.

Prepare laboratory, schedule time slots and allocate participation compensation.

Provide consistent and detailed instructions and demonstrations.

Collate, log and transfer data (e.g. heart rate, questionnaires, saliva samples, etc.).
Fun place to work
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Information centerJuly 8, 2015
No too much pressure on employees. The salary is fine for a master student. We can communicate with our leader in a convenient way.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Oregon. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4