University of Oregon Employee Reviews

Productive and good working environment
Research Assistant, HPCL (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 28, 2016
Very friendly and helpful people who motivate you and help get going. The co-workers are really smart and educating. The professors are very reachable as well.
Productive and fun work environment
INTRAMURAL SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 25, 2016
A typical day at work starts by arriving to the facility 45 minutes before the games start. I make sure the field, court, etc. is set up and the officials are there to referee. Throughout the night I watch the games and help the officials get better at their job. In between games I give my advice to the officials when they have questions. If there is an injury, I am the first to respond and perform(if necessary) CPR and first aid. At the end of the night, I shut down the facility.

The hardest part of the job is watching all the officials and helping them with their mistakes. I help them get better at their job. To do so I have to learn how to explain things differently to different people because everyone has a different style of learning. This is also the most enjoyable part of the job because I get to talk with so many different people. It allows me to meet many new people and potentially become friends with them.

All my coworkers are either Supervisors like myself or officials. Everyone has the desire to learn the sport they officiate or supervise. The supervisors all have different styles of teaching and give advice to one another. We are a tight unit that works together in all situations that occur. Even though we work alone at night with the officials, we meet once a week to discuss strategies of how to get better.
Pros
Meet many new people.
Cons
Work late nights
Squashes ideas and innovation.
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORDecember 15, 2015
The pay is vey low. Master's degrees are not economically valued. The rigid hierarchy prevents news ideas from being explored.
Typical college worker setting
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORDecember 13, 2015
Professionals working at the University were always kind and courteous. No real room for advancement because these jobs are meant to fill basic roles for professors.
Pros
Convenient location, friendly staff, flexible hours
Cons
No room for advancement, Sometimes boring/repetitive
Nice people and nice mixed culture
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORNovember 19, 2015
People work there are friendly and the management is efficient. There are lots of different cultural background people staying together. It is a nice place to learn how to greet with other cultures people.
Nice atmosphere
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORNovember 2, 2015
This university has a very nice atmosphere to work. Teacher Assistants and and Research Assistants receive relatively good compensation and good health insurance. Though this university is not that much competitive to other good university for science and engineering.
Pros
Insurance, Compensation
Excellent position, very educational and rewarding. I had a fantastic boss.
Undergraduate Assistant, CIS (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORNovember 2, 2015
I assisted students with problems that they had writing code and graded assignments and exams. It was a great experience.
Great University to receive a MA
Instructor - First-year Spoken Russian (Current Employee) –  Eugene, OROctober 23, 2015
Great University to receive a MA. Good atmosphere, very green and lush city, plenty of non-university activities abound of which to take advantage.
Great for students and work with your schedule
Science Tutor (Former Employee) –  Eugene, OROctober 16, 2015
Work with your schedule and are open to schedule changes. Easy and calm work environment. Work one on one with students without being micromanaged by superiors. Only have to go to one review meeting a term to check on progress of your students.
Pros
Scheduling
Cons
Uncomfortable chairs
Productive & Fun Place to Work
Assistant Coordinator and Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, OROctober 8, 2015
Being a student while working here, UO - Academic Extension was very accommodating to my ever changing class schedule. A typical work day consisted of corresponding to numerous phone call and emails from both clients and customers and a significant amount of data entry. This job certainly has its busy seasons, in which you can expect to take about 100 calls a day and slow periods in which case you are lucky to have 2-3 calls. UO staff fosters a family-style work environment, largely in part because most student workers, (me excluded) were related to a senior coordinator.
Pros
Flexible schedule for students
Cons
Not much room to grow within the company
Fun workplace focused on student life
Geology Field Training (Former Employee) –  Crooked River, ORSeptember 18, 2015
Working for the University of Oregon First Year Programs was an enjoyable job that required me to interact with students, staff, and parents. Aside from collaborating with a faculty member to create curriculum and teaching a class once a week, First Year Programs taught me how to best interact with faculty and parents. The managing staff was understanding and receptive, and provided valuable training beforehand.
Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORSeptember 2, 2015
The Department of Geological Sciences was a fun to work for and as a graduate student you were surrounded by the minds of great researchers and mentors.
excellent institution for the furthering of ambitious minds in all fields.
Percussion librarian/logistics assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORAugust 11, 2015
plenty of time and space given to me in my efforts to learn how to task manage and organize for a group of fellow student musicians. The work was very solitary at times, but it is how I thrive in a work setting.
Go Ducks!
Peer Learning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Department of Chemistry and BiochemistryJuly 22, 2015
Beautiful campus. Nice people. They have a great football team. I enjoyed helping people learn chemistry and be successful in the class.
Fun place to work with laid back atmosphere
Student-Athlete (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 15, 2015
Very friendly staff that worked with individuals to create best scheduling possible. Genial staff and a free gym membership. Clientele was sometimes hard to work with/for.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Clientele sometimes a headache
Fun place to work
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Information centerJuly 8, 2015
No too much pressure on employees. The salary is fine for a master student. We can communicate with our leader in a convenient way.
Inspiring place but demanding work
Co-Instructor (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 2, 2015
very supportive staffs and colleagues.
open-minded students and lots of social inclusion.
occasionally uninspired students.
close to no politics from the administrators
Pros
no politics
Cons
far awat from where scholarly activities are happening
Excellent place to work
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 1, 2015
Professional staff, lovely campus and energetic students. The HR staff is dedicated to the employees and always available for questions, answers and support.
Good learning environment
Undergraduate Chemistry Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 26, 2015
As a summer teaching assistant for organic chemistry, I went to lectures daily and held office hours twice a week. There were weekly tests that I graded with the professor. I learned how to communicate with students and help them with understanding the material as best they could. The most difficult part of the job was making sure I knew the material well enough to help the students, which required outside review on my part. I enjoyed when students understood a part of the class that I assisted them with; it was very rewarding.
Pros
Pizza while grading tests, work done early in day
Cons
long days when grading tests
Nothing Great
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 22, 2015
Mostly students working. Pays minimum wage and the work conditions aren't great. Generally people begin as dishwashers and can move into different positions such as barista or cooks assistant.

4.5