University of Oregon Employee Reviews

Productive and fun work environment
INTRAMURAL SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 25, 2016
A typical day at work starts by arriving to the facility 45 minutes before the games start. I make sure the field, court, etc. is set up and the officials are there to referee. Throughout the night I watch the games and help the officials get better at their job. In between games I give my advice to the officials when they have questions. If there is an injury, I am the first to respond and perform(if necessary) CPR and first aid. At the end of the night, I shut down the facility.

The hardest part of the job is watching all the officials and helping them with their mistakes. I help them get better at their job. To do so I have to learn how to explain things differently to different people because everyone has a different style of learning. This is also the most enjoyable part of the job because I get to talk with so many different people. It allows me to meet many new people and potentially become friends with them.

All my coworkers are either Supervisors like myself or officials. Everyone has the desire to learn the sport they officiate or supervise. The supervisors all have different styles of teaching and give advice to one another. We are a tight unit that works together in all situations that occur. Even though we work alone at night with the officials, we meet once a week to discuss strategies of how to get better.
Pros
Meet many new people.
Cons
Work late nights
Teacher, researcher, student
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORMarch 25, 2015
I taught at the University of Oregon both as a graduate student and an adjunct instructor designing and teaching both brick-and-mortar as well as online courses. I created over seven different courses, designed a syllabus, prepared lectures, facilitated class discussions, met individually with students to discuss a plethora of concerns, graded student work promptly and regularly, and worked with a diverse group of colleagues in various contexts. The work environment, as I imagine is the case with any university setting, is fast-paced and high-stress, as everyone needs to juggle multiple tasks all the time (research, teaching, administrative work, committee work, etc). It's a very difficult time to be an adjunct instructor right now, as the pay is not good and the benefits are not guaranteed (I do not know from one year to the next how many class I'll be teaching, which directly affects my salary and benefits eligibility). While my colleagues were great and the work is meaningful, I would encourage anyone interested in pursuing a PhD to seriously read about the state of higher education before applying. Jobs are scarce, most labor is contingent, you may have no control over where you work, and the level of competition is very high, because there are magnitudes more PhDs granted each year than jobs created.
Review Summary
Student Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 31, 2015
Working at the University, I learned how to work with a variety of different people, doing various different jobs. A typical day at work mostly involved working at multiple different stations, including espresso, salads, and sandwiches. On the espresso bar, I made drinks and rang in orders, for salads, I made custom and pre made salads. On the sandwich bar I worked with other people to make toasted and cold sandwiches from order forms. I learned how to make espresso drinks which was something I did not know how to do before, as well as work in a team. Overall we were well managed, though most of the training came from fellow student employees, and some managers felt as though they were above doing certain jobs. I enjoyed working with most of my coworkers, and after a while we became like a bit of a family. Most people I worked with, I got along with very well, and was able to communicate clearly with. The hardest part of the job was probably staying on my feet for long periods of time, and going from one station to another. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with great people and getting to interact with customers on a daily basis. In addition, I enjoyed making espresso drinks and food for customers.
Pros
Free lunches, flexible schedule
Cons
Low wages, No benefits
The Best College Job
Student Ambassador, Student Orientation Programs (Former Employee) –  Eugene, OROctober 1, 2013
I served as a student ambassador for the University of Oregon my senior year of college. My one regret is that I didn't start this job sooner. I looked forward to going to work everyday. That isn't always the case in today's world. My job was to lead prospective students and their families around the beautiful University of Oregon. The tour last 90 minutes and I was speaking for the majority of that time. I have excellent public speaking skills which I was able to prove everyday. Along with this job, we are sent to speak at receptions to current high school seniors who are about to embark on the journey of college. I was fortunate enough to speak a few times around the state and share my story. The hardest part of the job was encountering families who weren't excited about college or the UO. But every other part of being a student ambassador was excellent. If I could find a job that combined public speaking, traveling, and working to establish a relationship with others-that would be my ideal job.
Pros
met many important people around the uo
Productive & Fun Place to Work
Assistant Coordinator and Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, OROctober 8, 2015
Being a student while working here, UO - Academic Extension was very accommodating to my ever changing class schedule. A typical work day consisted of corresponding to numerous phone call and emails from both clients and customers and a significant amount of data entry. This job certainly has its busy seasons, in which you can expect to take about 100 calls a day and slow periods in which case you are lucky to have 2-3 calls. UO staff fosters a family-style work environment, largely in part because most student workers, (me excluded) were related to a senior coordinator.
Pros
Flexible schedule for students
Cons
Not much room to grow within the company
Research Associate at University of Oregon
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  ORJune 23, 2014
Constantly starting new cultures of Xylariaceous Fungi to later have DNA extracted. Extracting the DNA every few weeks, running PCR, and gel electrophoresis as well as DNA nanodrop. I learned a lot about Fungi as well as important lab procedures and how to compose myself and be productive in a laboratory setting. I worked under two graduate students with my own "assistant" they were extremely intelligent, understanding and taught me a lot. I enjoyed every day that I got to come into the lab, I always learned new things whether it was interesting facts about Fungi or new laboratory procedures.
Pros
extra credits for school
Cons
often tedious work
Good learning environment
Undergraduate Chemistry Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 26, 2015
As a summer teaching assistant for organic chemistry, I went to lectures daily and held office hours twice a week. There were weekly tests that I graded with the professor. I learned how to communicate with students and help them with understanding the material as best they could. The most difficult part of the job was making sure I knew the material well enough to help the students, which required outside review on my part. I enjoyed when students understood a part of the class that I assisted them with; it was very rewarding.
Pros
Pizza while grading tests, work done early in day
Cons
long days when grading tests
Great campus and people
Graduate Teaching Fellow (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORApril 30, 2012
I enjoyed living in Eugene and working at the University of Oregon. I learned how to teach students in a friendly manner while still maintaining authority. A portion of my GTF position included research, which primarily consisted of coding in MATLAB. The best part of this job was the interaction with students and the hardest part of the job was accepting that model development is a continuous process but that at some point you have to halt development and assess your working results.
Pros
healthcare
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anthropology departmentApril 30, 2012
Graduate Teaching Fellowship is a fun way to pay for graduate school while helping the professor and undergraduate students. If you qualify for financial support, for that is. If teaching the students directly is your thing, teaching a discussion section is available. Some classes even allow experienced GTFs to teach a full class. The only downside is grading the students papers and homework.
Pros
pays for school plus small salary.
Cons
grading papers is a lot of work, during finals week none the less.
Too much divisiveness between haves and have nots
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  COEMarch 16, 2013
Classified (union) employees get paid poor wages! Unclassified have no job security. Way too top heavy with management! Climate varies a lot depending what department you work for. I ended up with a bully boss who got away with everything and answered to no one. One plus: very good insurance and retirement compared to the private sector.
Pros
good bennies
Cons
top heavy management. 4 to 1 but should be 10 employees to each 1 manager
Fun workplace focused on student life
Geology Field Training (Former Employee) –  Crooked River, ORSeptember 18, 2015
Working for the University of Oregon First Year Programs was an enjoyable job that required me to interact with students, staff, and parents. Aside from collaborating with a faculty member to create curriculum and teaching a class once a week, First Year Programs taught me how to best interact with faculty and parents. The managing staff was understanding and receptive, and provided valuable training beforehand.
Sufficient tutoring center
BA 101 Tutor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 22, 2014
I typically worked with about 2-4 other tutors at a time running the tutoring center. The hardest thing about the job was learning to assist everybody in the tutoring center. There was only 3-5 of us at once and the center can get as packed as about 50 students needing help. Overall, I enjoyed teaching the materials from the class that students could not understand from the professors' lecture.
Pros
short hours
Cons
short hours
Fun place to be. Always around fun energetic people with a lot of diversity.
Student (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORApril 4, 2015
A typical day at school was often very long but I learned a lot of new things. Professors and peers very interesting. Hardest part of school was making sure that I always stayed focused and on top of the required coursework. Most enjoyable part of school was passing classes and graduating from college.
Pros
Meeting and working with people from many different places.
Cons
No income
Productive place to work.
Linguistics Instructor (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 30, 2014
I liked working with my colleges and my superiors. We had meeting where we shared ideas about how to improve the class in different areas such as supporting materials, tests, extra home works and the like. The most enjoyable part was working with the students. The less enjoyable part was knowing that I can have the job while I was a graduate student.
Pros
good health insurance
Cons
temporal job
Excellent environment to learn, work, and grow!
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lundquist School of BusinessNovember 24, 2012
I should have never left the U of O.

Wonderful environment in all ways; the weather (if you love rain), the air, the trees, the people, and the concern for our, and the planet's future.

Loved working at the Knight Library, and the Lundquist School of Business Computer Lab.
Pros
beautiful environment and people
Cons
lots of rain, but a small price to pay for the beauty it creates.
Productive and learning environment
FRONT DESK OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORAugust 8, 2012
I really enjoyed working in the Architecture department at the University of Oregon. I applied without any knowledge of the Architecture program, and I was able to quickly learn all about it. Everyone is very friendly and it a great place to work, especially if you are a student and juggling working with school
Graduate teaching fellow
Graduate Student Assistant: MA (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORApril 12, 2015
light course load, stipend to keep us alive, a faculty that really cares about the graduate students, colleagues say that is not the usual experience, in many universities graduate students are treated like servants who do a lot of research for profs who then give them no credit...not at UO...
Pros
paid tuition
Cons
work work work
Great Atmosphere of Positivity
Custodian(Student Worker) (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMarch 8, 2014
I strive to enjoy every task of job in safety that requires me to interact with employees and customers in pay close attention to who needs help and provide the best customer service to fulfill whomever I am dealing with needs and that they may be satisfied and to become a valuable asset to the company.
fun place, awesome working with students
Food Service Worker II (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORApril 4, 2013
totally enjoyable job, lots of interaction with students from all different
cultures. co-workers were awesome to work with. i learned all about working with all different students from all walks of life, and learned
all about their hometowns.
Pros
awesome students and co-workers
Cons
long hours.
I go to school at u of o
Lab Monitor (Work-study) (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 18, 2014
Lab monitor
Cleaning, organizing, answering questions, working with chemicals, and making sure the equipment were in working conditions.
Very nice and really organized.
Great to work with
Making sure the chemicals were the right ratio.
Working with others an helping others in need of assistance.

4.5