University of Oregon Employee Reviews

Work place is excellent
Student Orientation Staff (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORFebruary 14, 2017
Great benefits and place to work, respectful colleagues and continuous training and development workshops. They invest in improving their employees skills.
Good for nothing
Test Administrator (Former Employee) –  Ashland, ORJanuary 9, 2017
Lasted a month in female feedback loop. Anyone who may be different, be warned. The job was easy and slow-paced. Lots of sitting around and troubleshooting computers.
Colleagues were wonderful
Regional Development Director (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 9, 2017
a main point of contingency is that several male employees, who were not contributing to the level of responsibility, expectations and fundraising goals that several females were, received salary increases as well as title promotions - and the females did not ...several have left the university.
Pros
Athletic programs benefit fundraising
Cons
Salary discrepancies
Wonderful school
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORNovember 17, 2016
The University of Oregon is a great place to work and study. I really enjoyed teaching Mandarin Chinese there. I learned a lot about language pedagogy.
Wonderful employer
Office Specialist 1 / Temporary Assignment (Former Employee) –  Eugene, OROctober 18, 2016
I was hired at a dept of uo: (Casls) this is a second language study funded by gov grants. The mgmt was wonderful and flexible.
Pros
Free lunches, casual work atmosphere
Cons
Short term due to non prifit funding
Fun place to work at.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORSeptember 8, 2016
Working for concessions is kind of okay . But not really fun but I rather be with the Duck athletes instead. But fun to talk with your friends. But it is fun.
Pros
Ya free lunches.
Cons
Ya everything.
A great place to work while completing my college education.
Student Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORAugust 24, 2016
During my time at the University of Oregon I needed a place to work part time. Although the work was tiring, it allowed me to create my own work ethic that I strive to keep in the jobs I will have in the future.
Supportive Environment
Stream Stewardship Team Member (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 21, 2016
This was an interesting class I've taken because we did a lot of work outside of school with partners around the area. This was all very new to me and I've learned so much after being a part of the team.
good woork for students
Barista (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 15, 2016
Awesome first job. Good way to gain some basic costumer service work skills while going to collage. You serve and work mostly with your peers.
Amazing experience as a Research Assistant. Great for undegrad students seeking experience.
Memory & Attention Lab Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 8, 2016
The other RA's were also fun and amazing to work with. The participants for the study were easy going. Putting in the data in various notebooks and data files on the computer were pretty easy to do.
Productive and fun workplace
FRONT DESK RECEPTIONIST‬ (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 12, 2016
There are many great things that come from working at the University of Oregon. We have a great team that helps our system keep going.
Pros
They work around your school schedule
Cons
a limited amount of hours
Go Ducks
Campus Activites (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 24, 2016
Amazing school, great facilities and endless possibilities. While at Oregon I took advantage of e great relationship I had built with my career councilor to help find me a job that I was a good fit for and one I would enjoy. The school seems to be getting better and better each year!
n/a
N/A (Former Employee) –  n/aMay 23, 2016
over all it was a very good experience and i get a lot professionally.I would recommend this job to everyone I know who goes to school at uo
Strong Institution
Senior Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 19, 2016
Excellent university reputation. Member of the Association of American Universities, one of only two in the pacific northwest.
Great environment for a student
Psychology lab research assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 8, 2016
I worked for a professor collecting data, it was a good experience! My work help prepare me for jobs outside of the university system, cant complain.
Trades/Maintenance Worker 2 (Football Operations)
Trades/Maintenance Worker 2 (Former Employee) –  Football OperationsApril 18, 2016
You do not do any maintenance there. It is extremely slow and it's hard to fill up 8hrs each day with the work assignments given.

You are a custodian. They won't tell you until you're hired but you do mostly custodian/security for the building.

If you like to keep somewhat busy, this place is not for you. The amount of experience required for this job is a joke!

The coaching staff and players are "above you" for the most part. Give or take a few coaches who were just hired (Hokes and Yost) who are absolute professionals and are nice to you.

You cannot perform certain work at certain times because they don't want you to be seen or to interrupt the flow for the players and coaches.

The custodians don't have much to do there either. It is extremely over staffed and they do not need a maintenance worker. If you get the job you are the only maintenance person there.

The custodians aren't very nice at all, except for a few. They have harassed previous workers there.

Watch out for a temp worker there who only trys to stir up trouble so he can have a permanent shift, he will watch you like a hawk and try and get you in trouble for very small things. He will make up things as well.

The management is awful. He is very soft-spoken at first but will yell and throw things. He is also very passive-aggressive and will write words of the day pertaining to whatever somebody got in trouble for the day before. Most of the custodians there are trying to get other jobs. You don't get treated very well and if you don't talk to him and acknowledge that he is the boss
  more... everyday he will find ways to make your work environment miserable.

You only get paid once a month which is pretty difficult for the first few months working there.

you will get a job as maintenance, but you will not do any maintenance at all! You will help the custodians, and the grounds maintenance guy, and be security...that's it.

There have been 5 maintenance guys in 3yrs that this building has been up and running. They have all quit because of how boring it is, because of being harassed by fellow employees, because of not being able to fill their 8hrs a day productively, it's difficult to want to stay there.

If you don't like to do much at all on your shifts and be bored out of your mind after you finish a whole week of projects in one night...then this job is for you.
Fun and Great Learning Experience
Anthropology Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORMarch 11, 2016
I love my job in the university lab. I get to handle and examine human remains and identify and articulate bone fragments. It's excellent experience for my career goal of being a Forensic Anthropologist. I only wish I could be paid, but my professor can afford to pay me. I love my job and working one on one with my professor who teaches me a lot about anthropology and Osteology but also gives me advice and experiences to help me prepare for grad school.
Pros
Handling bones, Learning how to identify and diagnose particular things, getting to know my professor one on one
Cons
volunteer
Productive and good working environment
Research Assistant, HPCL (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 28, 2016
Very friendly and helpful people who motivate you and help get going. The co-workers are really smart and educating. The professors are very reachable as well.
Productive and fun work environment
INTRAMURAL SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 25, 2016
A typical day at work starts by arriving to the facility 45 minutes before the games start. I make sure the field, court, etc. is set up and the officials are there to referee. Throughout the night I watch the games and help the officials get better at their job. In between games I give my advice to the officials when they have questions. If there is an injury, I am the first to respond and perform(if necessary) CPR and first aid. At the end of the night, I shut down the facility.

The hardest part of the job is watching all the officials and helping them with their mistakes. I help them get better at their job. To do so I have to learn how to explain things differently to different people because everyone has a different style of learning. This is also the most enjoyable part of the job because I get to talk with so many different people. It allows me to meet many new people and potentially become friends with them.

All my coworkers are either Supervisors like myself or officials. Everyone has the desire to learn the sport they officiate or supervise. The supervisors all have different styles of teaching and give advice to one another. We are a tight unit that works together in all situations that occur. Even though we work alone at night with the officials, we meet once a week to discuss strategies of how to get better.
Pros
Meet many new people.
Cons
Work late nights
Squashes ideas and innovation.
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORDecember 15, 2015
The pay is vey low. Master's degrees are not economically valued. The rigid hierarchy prevents news ideas from being explored.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Oregon. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4