University of Oregon Employee Reviews in United States

Fun and Great Learning Experience
Anthropology Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORMarch 11, 2016
I love my job in the university lab. I get to handle and examine human remains and identify and articulate bone fragments. It's excellent experience for my career goal of being a Forensic Anthropologist. I only wish I could be paid, but my professor can afford to pay me. I love my job and working one on one with my professor who teaches me a lot about anthropology and Osteology but also gives me advice and experiences to help me prepare for grad school.
Pros
Handling bones, Learning how to identify and diagnose particular things, getting to know my professor one on one
Cons
volunteer
Nice atmosphere
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORNovember 2, 2015
This university has a very nice atmosphere to work. Teacher Assistants and and Research Assistants receive relatively good compensation and good health insurance. Though this university is not that much competitive to other good university for science and engineering.
Pros
Insurance, Compensation
Nice people and nice mixed culture
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORNovember 19, 2015
People work there are friendly and the management is efficient. There are lots of different cultural background people staying together. It is a nice place to learn how to greet with other cultures people.
Amazing experience as a Research Assistant. Great for undegrad students seeking experience.
Memory & Attention Lab Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 8, 2016
The other RA's were also fun and amazing to work with. The participants for the study were easy going. Putting in the data in various notebooks and data files on the computer were pretty easy to do.
Go Ducks
Campus Activites (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 24, 2016
Amazing school, great facilities and endless possibilities. While at Oregon I took advantage of e great relationship I had built with my career councilor to help find me a job that I was a good fit for and one I would enjoy. The school seems to be getting better and better each year!
Supportive Environment
Stream Stewardship Team Member (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 21, 2016
This was an interesting class I've taken because we did a lot of work outside of school with partners around the area. This was all very new to me and I've learned so much after being a part of the team.
Productive and fun workplace
FRONT DESK RECEPTIONIST‬ (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 12, 2016
There are many great things that come from working at the University of Oregon. We have a great team that helps our system keep going.
Pros
They work around your school schedule
Cons
a limited amount of hours
Typical college worker setting
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORDecember 13, 2015
Professionals working at the University were always kind and courteous. No real room for advancement because these jobs are meant to fill basic roles for professors.
Pros
Convenient location, friendly staff, flexible hours
Cons
No room for advancement, Sometimes boring/repetitive
good woork for students
Barista (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 15, 2016
Awesome first job. Good way to gain some basic costumer service work skills while going to collage. You serve and work mostly with your peers.
Great environment for a student
Psychology lab research assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 8, 2016
I worked for a professor collecting data, it was a good experience! My work help prepare me for jobs outside of the university system, cant complain.
Strong Institution
Senior Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 19, 2016
Excellent university reputation. Member of the Association of American Universities, one of only two in the pacific northwest.
n/a
N/A (Former Employee) –  n/aMay 23, 2016
over all it was a very good experience and i get a lot professionally.I would recommend this job to everyone I know who goes to school at uo
Productive and fun work environment
INTRAMURAL SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 25, 2016
A typical day at work starts by arriving to the facility 45 minutes before the games start. I make sure the field, court, etc. is set up and the officials are there to referee. Throughout the night I watch the games and help the officials get better at their job. In between games I give my advice to the officials when they have questions. If there is an injury, I am the first to respond and perform(if necessary) CPR and first aid. At the end of the night, I shut down the facility.

The hardest part of the job is watching all the officials and helping them with their mistakes. I help them get better at their job. To do so I have to learn how to explain things differently to different people because everyone has a different style of learning. This is also the most enjoyable part of the job because I get to talk with so many different people. It allows me to meet many new people and potentially become friends with them.

All my coworkers are either Supervisors like myself or officials. Everyone has the desire to learn the sport they officiate or supervise. The supervisors all have different styles of teaching and give advice to one another. We are a tight unit that works together in all situations that occur. Even though we work alone at night with the officials, we meet once a week to discuss strategies of how to get better.
Pros
Meet many new people.
Cons
Work late nights
Productive and good working environment
Research Assistant, HPCL (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 28, 2016
Very friendly and helpful people who motivate you and help get going. The co-workers are really smart and educating. The professors are very reachable as well.
Productive & Fun Place to Work
Assistant Coordinator and Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, OROctober 8, 2015
Being a student while working here, UO - Academic Extension was very accommodating to my ever changing class schedule. A typical work day consisted of corresponding to numerous phone call and emails from both clients and customers and a significant amount of data entry. This job certainly has its busy seasons, in which you can expect to take about 100 calls a day and slow periods in which case you are lucky to have 2-3 calls. UO staff fosters a family-style work environment, largely in part because most student workers, (me excluded) were related to a senior coordinator.
Pros
Flexible schedule for students
Cons
Not much room to grow within the company
Trades/Maintenance Worker 2 (Football Operations)
Trades/Maintenance Worker 2 (Former Employee) –  Football OperationsApril 18, 2016
You do not do any maintenance there. It is extremely slow and it's hard to fill up 8hrs each day with the work assignments given.

You are a custodian. They won't tell you until you're hired but you do mostly custodian/security for the building.

If you like to keep somewhat busy, this place is not for you. The amount of experience required for this job is a joke!

The coaching staff and players are "above you" for the most part. Give or take a few coaches who were just hired (Hokes and Yost) who are absolute professionals and are nice to you.

You cannot perform certain work at certain times because they don't want you to be seen or to interrupt the flow for the players and coaches.

The custodians don't have much to do there either. It is extremely over staffed and they do not need a maintenance worker. If you get the job you are the only maintenance person there.

The custodians aren't very nice at all, except for a few. They have harassed previous workers there.

Watch out for a temp worker there who only trys to stir up trouble so he can have a permanent shift, he will watch you like a hawk and try and get you in trouble for very small things. He will make up things as well.

The management is awful. He is very soft-spoken at first but will yell and throw things. He is also very passive-aggressive and will write words of the day pertaining to whatever somebody got in trouble for the day before. Most of the custodians there are trying to get other jobs. You don't get treated very well and if you don't talk to him and acknowledge that he is the boss
  more... everyday he will find ways to make your work environment miserable.

You only get paid once a month which is pretty difficult for the first few months working there.

you will get a job as maintenance, but you will not do any maintenance at all! You will help the custodians, and the grounds maintenance guy, and be security...that's it.

There have been 5 maintenance guys in 3yrs that this building has been up and running. They have all quit because of how boring it is, because of being harassed by fellow employees, because of not being able to fill their 8hrs a day productively, it's difficult to want to stay there.

If you don't like to do much at all on your shifts and be bored out of your mind after you finish a whole week of projects in one night...then this job is for you.
Squashes ideas and innovation.
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORDecember 15, 2015
The pay is vey low. Master's degrees are not economically valued. The rigid hierarchy prevents news ideas from being explored.
Fun workplace focused on student life
Geology Field Training (Former Employee) –  Crooked River, ORSeptember 18, 2015
Working for the University of Oregon First Year Programs was an enjoyable job that required me to interact with students, staff, and parents. Aside from collaborating with a faculty member to create curriculum and teaching a class once a week, First Year Programs taught me how to best interact with faculty and parents. The managing staff was understanding and receptive, and provided valuable training beforehand.
Too much divisiveness between haves and have nots
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  COEMarch 16, 2013
Classified (union) employees get paid poor wages! Unclassified have no job security. Way too top heavy with management! Climate varies a lot depending what department you work for. I ended up with a bully boss who got away with everything and answered to no one. One plus: very good insurance and retirement compared to the private sector.
Pros
good bennies
Cons
top heavy management. 4 to 1 but should be 10 employees to each 1 manager
Great for students and work with your schedule
Science Tutor (Former Employee) –  Eugene, OROctober 16, 2015
Work with your schedule and are open to schedule changes. Easy and calm work environment. Work one on one with students without being micromanaged by superiors. Only have to go to one review meeting a term to check on progress of your students.
Pros
Scheduling
Cons
Uncomfortable chairs

4.4