University of Oregon Employee Reviews in United States

Fun place to work with laid back atmosphere
Student-Athlete (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 15, 2015
Very friendly staff that worked with individuals to create best scheduling possible. Genial staff and a free gym membership. Clientele was sometimes hard to work with/for.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Clientele sometimes a headache
Inspiring place but demanding work
Co-Instructor (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 2, 2015
very supportive staffs and colleagues.
open-minded students and lots of social inclusion.
occasionally uninspired students.
close to no politics from the administrators
Pros
no politics
Cons
far awat from where scholarly activities are happening
Fun place to be. Always around fun energetic people with a lot of diversity.
Student (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORApril 4, 2015
A typical day at school was often very long but I learned a lot of new things. Professors and peers very interesting. Hardest part of school was making sure that I always stayed focused and on top of the required coursework. Most enjoyable part of school was passing classes and graduating from college.
Pros
Meeting and working with people from many different places.
Cons
No income
Productive and fun work environment
INTRAMURAL SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 25, 2016
A typical day at work starts by arriving to the facility 45 minutes before the games start. I make sure the field, court, etc. is set up and the officials are there to referee. Throughout the night I watch the games and help the officials get better at their job. In between games I give my advice to the officials when they have questions. If there is an injury, I am the first to respond and perform(if necessary) CPR and first aid. At the end of the night, I shut down the facility.

The hardest part of the job is watching all the officials and helping them with their mistakes. I help them get better at their job. To do so I have to learn how to explain things differently to different people because everyone has a different style of learning. This is also the most enjoyable part of the job because I get to talk with so many different people. It allows me to meet many new people and potentially become friends with them.

All my coworkers are either Supervisors like myself or officials. Everyone has the desire to learn the sport they officiate or supervise. The supervisors all have different styles of teaching and give advice to one another. We are a tight unit that works together in all situations that occur. Even though we work alone at night with the officials, we meet once a week to discuss strategies of how to get better.
Pros
Meet many new people.
Cons
Work late nights
Graduate teaching fellow
Graduate Student Assistant: MA (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORApril 12, 2015
light course load, stipend to keep us alive, a faculty that really cares about the graduate students, colleagues say that is not the usual experience, in many universities graduate students are treated like servants who do a lot of research for profs who then give them no credit...not at UO...
Pros
paid tuition
Cons
work work work
Nothing Great
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 22, 2015
Mostly students working. Pays minimum wage and the work conditions aren't great. Generally people begin as dishwashers and can move into different positions such as barista or cooks assistant.
Excellent place to work
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 1, 2015
Professional staff, lovely campus and energetic students. The HR staff is dedicated to the employees and always available for questions, answers and support.
Go Ducks!
Peer Learning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Department of Chemistry and BiochemistryJuly 22, 2015
Beautiful campus. Nice people. They have a great football team. I enjoyed helping people learn chemistry and be successful in the class.
Great place for student workers
Student Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 7, 2015
Excellent opportunities for students to gain hands on experience in an educational environment. Many opportunities from cashier to scientific research.
Great bike racing event
TEACHERS ASSISTANT AND TUTOR (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 27, 2015
A day begins early in the morning setting up the registration booth. Around 9 AM, the riders begin arriving and registering or checking in. After 12 the registration is shut down.
Lab Assistant Researcher
Lab Asistant Researcher (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 28, 2015
My job is to organize paperwork, clean up the lab, wash glass-wares and stock supplies. I enjoy working as a lab assistant researcher because I gain experience relating to my major.
Fun place to work
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Information centerJuly 8, 2015
No too much pressure on employees. The salary is fine for a master student. We can communicate with our leader in a convenient way.
Facility Support Services
Facility Support Service- University Of Oregon (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 23, 2015
My job was to man the front desk for Allied Arts and Architecture students. My duties included renting camera and lighting equipment, keeping inventory up- to date, answering phone calls and troubleshooting broken equipment.
Pros
fun environment
Cons
low pay
Research Associate at University of Oregon
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  ORJune 23, 2014
Constantly starting new cultures of Xylariaceous Fungi to later have DNA extracted. Extracting the DNA every few weeks, running PCR, and gel electrophoresis as well as DNA nanodrop. I learned a lot about Fungi as well as important lab procedures and how to compose myself and be productive in a laboratory setting. I worked under two graduate students with my own "assistant" they were extremely intelligent, understanding and taught me a lot. I enjoyed every day that I got to come into the lab, I always learned new things whether it was interesting facts about Fungi or new laboratory procedures.
Pros
extra credits for school
Cons
often tedious work
Sufficient tutoring center
BA 101 Tutor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 22, 2014
I typically worked with about 2-4 other tutors at a time running the tutoring center. The hardest thing about the job was learning to assist everybody in the tutoring center. There was only 3-5 of us at once and the center can get as packed as about 50 students needing help. Overall, I enjoyed teaching the materials from the class that students could not understand from the professors' lecture.
Pros
short hours
Cons
short hours
Great community environment
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Eugene, OrApril 14, 2015
The students and employees were great. There was a great sense of community and togetherness. It was a pleasure to work here and witness the growth of the campus.
Great campus and people
Graduate Teaching Fellow (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORApril 30, 2012
I enjoyed living in Eugene and working at the University of Oregon. I learned how to teach students in a friendly manner while still maintaining authority. A portion of my GTF position included research, which primarily consisted of coding in MATLAB. The best part of this job was the interaction with students and the hardest part of the job was accepting that model development is a continuous process but that at some point you have to halt development and assess your working results.
Pros
healthcare
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anthropology departmentApril 30, 2012
Graduate Teaching Fellowship is a fun way to pay for graduate school while helping the professor and undergraduate students. If you qualify for financial support, for that is. If teaching the students directly is your thing, teaching a discussion section is available. Some classes even allow experienced GTFs to teach a full class. The only downside is grading the students papers and homework.
Pros
pays for school plus small salary.
Cons
grading papers is a lot of work, during finals week none the less.
Too much divisiveness between haves and have nots
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  COEMarch 16, 2013
Classified (union) employees get paid poor wages! Unclassified have no job security. Way too top heavy with management! Climate varies a lot depending what department you work for. I ended up with a bully boss who got away with everything and answered to no one. One plus: very good insurance and retirement compared to the private sector.
Pros
good bennies
Cons
top heavy management. 4 to 1 but should be 10 employees to each 1 manager
Productive place to work.
Linguistics Instructor (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 30, 2014
I liked working with my colleges and my superiors. We had meeting where we shared ideas about how to improve the class in different areas such as supporting materials, tests, extra home works and the like. The most enjoyable part was working with the students. The less enjoyable part was knowing that I can have the job while I was a graduate student.
Pros
good health insurance
Cons
temporal job

4.4