University of Oregon Employee Reviews

Nice people and nice mixed culture
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORNovember 19, 2015
People work there are friendly and the management is efficient. There are lots of different cultural background people staying together. It is a nice place to learn how to greet with other cultures people.
Nice atmosphere
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORNovember 2, 2015
This university has a very nice atmosphere to work. Teacher Assistants and and Research Assistants receive relatively good compensation and good health insurance. Though this university is not that much competitive to other good university for science and engineering.
Pros
Insurance, Compensation
Excellent position, very educational and rewarding. I had a fantastic boss.
Undergraduate Assistant, CIS (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORNovember 2, 2015
I assisted students with problems that they had writing code and graded assignments and exams. It was a great experience.
Great University to receive a MA
Instructor - First-year Spoken Russian (Current Employee) –  Eugene, OROctober 23, 2015
Great University to receive a MA. Good atmosphere, very green and lush city, plenty of non-university activities abound of which to take advantage.
Great for students and work with your schedule
Science Tutor (Former Employee) –  Eugene, OROctober 16, 2015
Work with your schedule and are open to schedule changes. Easy and calm work environment. Work one on one with students without being micromanaged by superiors. Only have to go to one review meeting a term to check on progress of your students.
Pros
Scheduling
Cons
Uncomfortable chairs
Productive & Fun Place to Work
Assistant Coordinator and Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, OROctober 8, 2015
Being a student while working here, UO - Academic Extension was very accommodating to my ever changing class schedule. A typical work day consisted of corresponding to numerous phone call and emails from both clients and customers and a significant amount of data entry. This job certainly has its busy seasons, in which you can expect to take about 100 calls a day and slow periods in which case you are lucky to have 2-3 calls. UO staff fosters a family-style work environment, largely in part because most student workers, (me excluded) were related to a senior coordinator.
Pros
Flexible schedule for students
Cons
Not much room to grow within the company
Fun workplace focused on student life
Geology Field Training (Former Employee) –  Crooked River, ORSeptember 18, 2015
Working for the University of Oregon First Year Programs was an enjoyable job that required me to interact with students, staff, and parents. Aside from collaborating with a faculty member to create curriculum and teaching a class once a week, First Year Programs taught me how to best interact with faculty and parents. The managing staff was understanding and receptive, and provided valuable training beforehand.
Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORSeptember 2, 2015
The Department of Geological Sciences was a fun to work for and as a graduate student you were surrounded by the minds of great researchers and mentors.
excellent institution for the furthering of ambitious minds in all fields.
Percussion librarian/logistics assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORAugust 11, 2015
plenty of time and space given to me in my efforts to learn how to task manage and organize for a group of fellow student musicians. The work was very solitary at times, but it is how I thrive in a work setting.
Go Ducks!
Peer Learning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Department of Chemistry and BiochemistryJuly 22, 2015
Beautiful campus. Nice people. They have a great football team. I enjoyed helping people learn chemistry and be successful in the class.
Fun place to work with laid back atmosphere
Student-Athlete (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 15, 2015
Very friendly staff that worked with individuals to create best scheduling possible. Genial staff and a free gym membership. Clientele was sometimes hard to work with/for.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Clientele sometimes a headache
Fun place to work
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Information centerJuly 8, 2015
No too much pressure on employees. The salary is fine for a master student. We can communicate with our leader in a convenient way.
Inspiring place but demanding work
Co-Instructor (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 2, 2015
very supportive staffs and colleagues.
open-minded students and lots of social inclusion.
occasionally uninspired students.
close to no politics from the administrators
Pros
no politics
Cons
far awat from where scholarly activities are happening
Excellent place to work
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 1, 2015
Professional staff, lovely campus and energetic students. The HR staff is dedicated to the employees and always available for questions, answers and support.
Good learning environment
Undergraduate Chemistry Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 26, 2015
As a summer teaching assistant for organic chemistry, I went to lectures daily and held office hours twice a week. There were weekly tests that I graded with the professor. I learned how to communicate with students and help them with understanding the material as best they could. The most difficult part of the job was making sure I knew the material well enough to help the students, which required outside review on my part. I enjoyed when students understood a part of the class that I assisted them with; it was very rewarding.
Pros
Pizza while grading tests, work done early in day
Cons
long days when grading tests
Nothing Great
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 22, 2015
Mostly students working. Pays minimum wage and the work conditions aren't great. Generally people begin as dishwashers and can move into different positions such as barista or cooks assistant.
Great place for student workers
Student Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 7, 2015
Excellent opportunities for students to gain hands on experience in an educational environment. Many opportunities from cashier to scientific research.
Review Summary
Student Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 31, 2015
Working at the University, I learned how to work with a variety of different people, doing various different jobs. A typical day at work mostly involved working at multiple different stations, including espresso, salads, and sandwiches. On the espresso bar, I made drinks and rang in orders, for salads, I made custom and pre made salads. On the sandwich bar I worked with other people to make toasted and cold sandwiches from order forms. I learned how to make espresso drinks which was something I did not know how to do before, as well as work in a team. Overall we were well managed, though most of the training came from fellow student employees, and some managers felt as though they were above doing certain jobs. I enjoyed working with most of my coworkers, and after a while we became like a bit of a family. Most people I worked with, I got along with very well, and was able to communicate clearly with. The hardest part of the job was probably staying on my feet for long periods of time, and going from one station to another. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with great people and getting to interact with customers on a daily basis. In addition, I enjoyed making espresso drinks and food for customers.
Pros
Free lunches, flexible schedule
Cons
Low wages, No benefits
Lab Assistant Researcher
Lab Asistant Researcher (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 28, 2015
My job is to organize paperwork, clean up the lab, wash glass-wares and stock supplies. I enjoy working as a lab assistant researcher because I gain experience relating to my major.
Great bike racing event
TEACHERS ASSISTANT AND TUTOR (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 27, 2015
A day begins early in the morning setting up the registration booth. Around 9 AM, the riders begin arriving and registering or checking in. After 12 the registration is shut down.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Oregon. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4