University of Pennsylvania Health System

University of Pennsylvania Health System Employee Reviews

Great place to work...afforded a good work life balance
Corporate Human Resource Manager (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 31, 2015
Pros: Excellent pay, benefits and time off
There is no typical day in the life of Human Resources. That is one of the things I like abou this profession(you ner know what you are in store for until you get to work). Overall management is pretty good. I really enjoyed my co-workers and the clients I supported but for personal reasons I needed to resign and find a job closer to home. I was also there for 16 years and felt there was very little room for advancement.
Worst Job I ever had!!!
Ophthalmic Photographer (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: pay, 180 day probationary period, poor management, no room for advancement, slow work environment.
If your an ophthalmic photographer don't work for Penn!! Yes, there benefits are great, but the work environment is horrible. Management is a joke. It is currently managed by an inexperienced recent college graduate who I quote stated "If there is a zombie apocalypse, I'm going to hide in the art museum"!. Not to mention there were 3 other photographers in the department ranging from 9-20 yrs with Penn, who did not get the management position. Most days its not busy so your left to sit & look at a blank computer screen for hours on end. All of the testing is done in one big room, with multiple machines. There are no curtains or room dividers. Patients can look at other patients images while they are getting there test done!! Yes, that it is a major HIPPA violation!! When there are Penn inspections, management comes around & coachs you on what to say to the inspectors just in case they happen to come into the photography room & inquire about there not being any patient privacy in the room. They allow the photographers to start IV lines who have never had any medically training. They have a 2 hr class within Penn held by an RN with a fake arm! Needless to say patients get stuck multiple times due to inexperience & uneducation. After IV lines are started there is no protocol within the department to chart which arm the IV was placed in, times it was attempted, complications, name of dye injected, lot number, expiration date etc. They (including management) don't chart of any of that information which is completely illegal & insane!! The 180 probationary period is ridiculous. If your late or absent 1 time you can & will be terminated. The employees within the department are strangely different to put it nicely. This was the worst job I have ever had. I dreaded going into work, which is crazy because I love the field I'm in. Steer clear of Penn ophthalmology as a photographer it's not worth the headache & frustration.
Talent Acquisition (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: exceptional benefits, location, plenty of work
Cons: large size
I haven been working in corporate America for 9 years now and Penn Medicine is by far my favorite company to work for. First, I was able to find a position that 100% fit my experience, skills and education, and their Talent Acquisition department and management saw that. I can't tell you how many times I applied for positions that I would excel in, but was never contacted by the company.

The people here are great. Everyone is professional and nice. I had a hard time fitting into the companies I worked for in the past, but not at Penn. I assimilated well thanks to my colleagues and my manager. I know I'm very lucky to have the manager that I do because she makes her staff feel like we're part of a strong team.

The benefits are exceptional. While the pay could be better, it always can be, the benefits here allow me to feel comfortable. I know that if I ever get sick or hurt, I'm covered by a great health plan.

Job security is another reason I'm happy here. The company is growing bigger every day and there is non-stop work to be done. If you're a hard worker then there is a long-term place for you here.

While I haven't gotten to the point where I want a promotion, I see firsthand working in HR that this place does promote from within frequently. Not for every position of course, but I do feel that if they have a need and you are seen as being a possible good fit, they will consider you for the position.
DON'T WORK HERE!
Histotechnologist (Current Employee), 3020 Market StJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: pay
Cons: everything else
Here's why. You will be utterly miserable, that is a guarantee . Micromanaged, berated constantly, you aren't allowed to talk, no opportunities for advancement, I could go on and on. The environment is very hostile, depressing and hopeless.
Academic medical center
Director Proton Operations and Physics (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 29, 2014
Pros: great benefits with a well educated leadership team
Cons: constantly in flux
A university health system in Philadelphia that offers great opportunity for career growth.
Leader in research, patient care delivery quality, technology, financial stability
CIO & Director of Nursing Informatics (Current Employee), Philadelphia PADecember 17, 2014
Penn is an outstanding organization to be a member of. The work we do is very demanding, primarily due to the fact that we are working daily on many fronts to continually drive improvement, from a patient care and satisfaction perspective, an employee satisfaction perspective, a safety perspective, technology perspective, and finally a financial perspective. Every day provides opportunity for learning as much as any individual drives themselves to do so. My co-workers are hard working as I am and strive to do their best. The organization is very large and complex. As a leader you learn quickly how important it is to develop and maintain good working relationships. In the Information Technology organization, we operate largely in a shared resource model. Good communication and influence skills are vital. As a leader you also learn quickly how important it is to leave your ego at the door because it does not matter what you have the capability to do as an individual, it matters what you can do as a member of a team. The hardest part of the job is working with folks who are not team oriented.
Work Life Balance
Compensation Consultant (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAOctober 19, 2014
UPHS provided me with working/scheduling options such as 10 hour days working 2 days from home and in the office.
Practice Manager
Practice Manager (Former Employee), 3624 Market StreetAugust 30, 2014
Pros: feast
Cons: famine
Recruited, trained, developed and retained qualified staff. Identified customer’s needs, gained trust, approached complex situations and resolved problems to maximize efficiency. Identified operational processes inefficiencies and recommended necessary improvements. Prepared monthly PowerPoint presentations illustrating business performance goals. Added modifiers as appropriate coded narrative diagnoses and verified diagnoses for 25 providers. Expertise in standardizing procedures. Statistical analysis and establish metric to improve operations. Project Management
• Successfully trained, mentored and coached staff in all office systems, databases, policies, procedures focused in minimizing errors and generating superior results which increased productivity by 12%.
• Improved customer satisfaction ratings by 10% in under six months. (Implementation of Perimeter Software for ACD telephone system)
o Manage Call Center within the Department
o Call volume, call answer rates, customer service; maintaining statistics; metrics, Abandon Rate = <4%)
o Aid in the implemented process Perimeter Software for usage of ACD Telephone system
o Coordinate plans for project adoption and user acceptance
o Clearly communicate expectations to team members and stakeholders throughout the lifecycle of the project
• Launched well-received program of professional development courses for all staff.
• Project Management
o EMR & EPIC Implementation – Transition from IDX to EPIC
o Manage all aspects of the EPIC & EMR implementation from inception to deployment in Practice
o Coordinate plans for project adoption and user acceptance
o Estimate and organize the various efforts required to complete all major milestones on time
• I-payment, Navinet, Oasis, Lawson, Press Ganey, Halogen, STATT (HR), ESTAR, IDX, MEDview and Patient Billing Procedure
Mission driven, challenging, rewarding
Administrator (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 7, 2014
UPHS fulfills its three fold mission of excellence in patient care, teaching and research.
It is a rewarding, challenging environment.
Standard office research job
Research Assistant & Database Manager (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 30, 2014
Getting to work on meaningful medical studies can be very rewarding, relaxed environment, great co-workers.
Epic Professional Billing (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMay 27, 2014
Pros: higher education, great benefits
Cons: great healthcare services for all patients
I have fun working for this company. I learn a lot using the new system call Epic. It is fast and productive. The benefits are great but the salary range is not great.
Energizing and innovative work environment
Outpatient Financial Counselor (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 8, 2014
I enjoyed interacting with patients and gaining conflict resolution skills.
Good place to start.
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 11, 2014
The hours are flexible.
Helps me develop my lab skills along with management skills.
U of P was my turning point
Trainer/Consultant (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 6, 2013
U of P was my defining moment when after almost 3 years, the IT department was taken over by some corporate consulting company. That's when more than a few of us left to continue our mission, working for a hospital.
Great place but...
Medical assistant (Current Employee), Lumberton , njOctober 6, 2013
Pros: pay and benifits
Cons: the doctors
The amount of managers my job goes through is ridiculous . The doctors are divas and thats being nice. They always run excessively behind and expect it to be ok. The doctors do not care that you have a life outside of work. They think they can talk to you anyway and if you defend your self you are being disrepsectful. They eat management alive to the point they get ran out of the position. Some of the staff is nosey and sneaky, you would think they are getting paid extra to be spies. This place would be great if you got rid of half the doctors and if people would focus on their own work instead of yours.
Great Experience
Admissions Representative (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PASeptember 8, 2013
Good place to work, I got alot of good experience. It can get very busy and pressuring. The coworkers are okay for the most part. The hardest part is dealing with change.
n/a
Medical Assistant Department of Gastroenterology (Current Employee), philadelphiaSeptember 6, 2013
I love what I do. I've learned a lot from our diverse patient population.
The benifits a good but the pay stinks.
Non Technical Position / Call Center - This is a terrible job
Service Desk Analyst II (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 21, 2013
Pros: the benefits are solid
Cons: the director of this department is the absolute worst manager i have ever had, we started with 30 techs and when i left we were down to 17.
Let me start by stating that the manager for this position is not a technical person in any way shape or form.

I worked close to a year in this position watched the revolving door of techs enter and leave as fast as the possibly could.

The work is non technical - you will not learn anything new.

Your job will be to take a call - where you will be complained to about how terrible the IS department is run.

You will take their name and information - then route a ticket to another team.

Within 10 seconds you are to get onto the next call.

They are incredibly under staffed to the point where you are begged to work shift after shift.

This is not the start of a career.

This is where techs go to die.
IS Management Team Lacking
Epic Analyst (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 2, 2013
Pros: public transportation
Cons: no merit increases, swipe in and out like hourly employees but not paid overtime, difficult to advance, micromanagement
The doctors and nurses at the hospitals are great.

Unfortunately the IS department management team does not match up to excellence of the doctors and nurses. Management team is not flexible and does not encourage growth within. Fact: outside people hired above those who work there.

Employees are not acknowledged and not rewarded for their hard work. Fact: There is no merit raises. You get same raise for working self to death as someone who is not competent.

Leadership thinks IS employees should be slaves to their jobs and work more than what is standard. Rather than hire more people you are expected to work above 8.5 standard hours and make up for the management team's inability to staff open positions. Fact: open positions not filled and rest of team has to take on more. You take work home but cannot use it for comp time and still expected to be in office for 8.5 hours each day. No overtime pay.

Most unhappy group of IS employees ever encountered. Fact: people do not smile and complain all the time.

Fact: Leadership does not acknowledge employees when he passes them. Makes you feel like insignificant and not liked. If he doesn't like you he doesn't say hello and ignores that you are even his employee even though you worked there for years and years unless he likes you which is unfair and rude.

Leadership not trusting of employees. Fact: Snow Policy-when it snows tells people not allowed to work from home but come in. People work from home anyway cause need to keep systems running but have to use vacation day cause of his policy. Consultants get to work from home when – more... planes cant come in because of snow but own employees who keep systems running are not trusted. Fact: salaried employees expected to swipe in and swipe out like hourly employees. No extra pay for extra hours but good talking to if you leave early.

Fact: employees given 10 sick days each year but if you call out more than 3 times in a year you are given warning and next time written up.

Lots of good people left recently and others are looking to leave. No attempt by management team to care or do anything for those who they find out are leaving since only interested in warm bodies to fill chairs.

Wouldn't accept position with this IT department. If you are going for different kind of job in the hospital, then you will enjoy Penn. If IT person, you will not be happy. – less
Amazing organization!
Human Resources (CORP) Program Coordinator (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 1, 2013
Pros: tuition reimbursement
University of Pennsylvania Health System is an amazing organization to work for. I have learned so much here than I have learned in any other previous job. Penn Health Systems really cares about their employees and their professional development. By this being a teaching hospital they encourage their employees to take full advantage of the $8,000 tuition reimbursement to further our education at any college/university of our choice. The Penn Medicine Academy is a small sect of the hospital that has impacted thee most change on employees. This department encourages growth, helps retain employees, identifies top talent internally, and trains and develops new leaders. In my opinion, PENN is the top employer of choice in the region.

1 2 3

About University of Pennsylvania Health System

A leader in medicine for more than 240 years, Penn opened its School of Medicine, the nation's first, in 1765. The Hospital of – Read more

University of Pennsylvania Health System Salaries

Patient Services Representative
$19.00 per hour
Senior Accountant
$70,000 per year

University of Pennsylvania Health System Photos

Penn Medicine is a 2014 American Heart Association Fit-Friendly Worksite.
Check out the benefits of quitting today.
From the Penn Medicine - Abramson Cancer Center, we're proud to support pancreatic cancer awareness.