University of Pennsylvania Health System

University of Pennsylvania Health System Employee Reviews in United States

I really enjoyed working amd helping others you had some managers that was up tight but i didnot let it bother me i was there to do a jod tjat was to
Cna (Current Employee) –  3400 spruce atAugust 3, 2016
A very good place to work love helping clients and was always a team player some days was hard and some days was ok very heavy floor worked on surgery floor so alot of cleaning patients and feeding them so we're elderly and some young you had to find you niche after that the jod wasn't so complicated
Pros
Got to go to school for free
Cons
Always needed
My work experience
Wissahickon Hospice RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 15, 2016
My day starts with reviewing emails from the previous day and nights. I review the patients I will be seeing for the day and gather supplies if need be. I see 4 to 5 patients daily and help with symptom management, EOL goals, and offer compassionate service to both my patient and their families. The most enjoyable part of my job and the reason I continue to work in hospice is the belief that everyone should be offered the chances to be comfortable and in their homes if that is their choice. It is a privilege to be doing this for my career.
Best place to work
Penn Chart ADT SENIOR Application Analyst (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 25, 2016
typical day at work would include several meeting .. working projects , working with TS, front end user, management on all levels.. I learned to listen take notes, ask question and meet dead lines.. hardest part of the job is getting the information from the end user of whatever they are trying to ask... the most enjoyable part of my job is the ability to affect change on so many levels
Great place to gain experience but there is a culture of racism.
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Dept of Medicine HUPApril 29, 2016
Most of my professional colleagues were great. I really like most of the people in our division. There is preferential treatment. Positions were created to promote individuals who were "hand picked." As long as you were part of the in crowd there was no problem. If you are African American you were at the bottom of the barrel. They don't even try to hide their racism. Don't go to HR they are not on your side. It was so frustrated trying to get management to treat you with fairness and respect. It is not worth it just to say, "I work at Penn."
Pros
You will acquire a lot of experience
Cons
Frustrating trying to get management to acknowledge and address your concerns.
Nice place to work
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Broomall, PAJuly 7, 2016
Small practice. Low pay, friendly Doctor, patients are in recovery for substance abuse but are nice. Lot of extern students so they can obtain free labor.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
cheap pay
Excellent work environment!
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 19, 2016
I highly recommend working for University of Penn Health System. I have a wealth of information on health care practices in the Radiology field.
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 6, 2016
Prestigious organization. I enjoyed working there. Loved my boss. Favorable benefits and salary. Room for advancement. I left only because of personal family obligations.
UPHS is a large healthcare network providing a variety of services across the tri-state area
Associate Training and Quality Director (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 29, 2015
UPHS is at the forefront of the healthcare industry. If you want the cutting edge, this is the place to be. There are plenty of opportunities for advancement and education.
Work Environment
Medical Record Completion Analyst (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 14, 2015
Good Place to work with a lot of good co-workers. Excellent quality of patient care. Great day at work with great team support, professionalism, and a peaceful work environment.
Pros
Lots of Stability; raises and bonuses for employees.
Cons
Lack of growth, non-use of their tuition investment in their employees, satisfactory in leadership performance.
my experience
Patient Services Representative II (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 4, 2015
this was one of the worst jobs I have ever had. I always wanted to work for this company but the sight in which I accepted employment was one of the worst I have ever been to as an employee and as being a patient of Penn.
Pros
ability to help others
Cons
lack of communication
Great Hospital
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJSeptember 12, 2015
This place has amazing Doctors and you can learn a lot, the patients are great and I love what I do. Management is hard to please, it seems that no matter what I am not really liked. I am a hard worker but am just not a good fit as far as personality wise with the manager. I come in early and do what is asked of me but just my happy upbeat personality is frowned upon. I am looking to work where I can come to work and not fear that I am going to be made fun of on a daily basis. This makes me very sad because I love the job that I do and I want nothing more to stay with this amazing company however I am losing self worth everyday I am here.
Pros
doctors are the best
Cons
managers is picky
Great hospital for patients but not so great for employess
Phlebotomy Technician (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 28, 2016
I loved the patient's and my actual job but the management sucked! All they cared about was how many people you could stick and that you got them out in a certain amount of minutes. If u made a mistake from rushing you were almost fired. If u didn't get them out in a certain amount of time u would be fired. It was a lose lose situation. The patient's didn't like to feel rushed out or feel like you were rushing your job especially when you're working with needles. I noticed that they started using other companies and using temps. The turn over rate was astonishing! If a temp had a problem with a regular employee management would just ignore it as if they were dispendable so it didn't matter. They would work temps for years without giving them a position because it's cheaper that way. Temps didn't get anytime off unless their regular employees didn't take off. God forbid you have a life outside of there. They won't care if your child is half dead on the side of the road. If you are an patient there you will have the best care and treatment ever. You could lie threw your teeth about an employee and management will fire them without even investigating it
Pros
Great hospital for patients
Cons
Short breaks, management
Patient Care
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 11, 2015
I come in and greet all of my co-workers. My first goal is to try and get someone to smile and feel better about their day first thing in the morning. I check on my most familiar co-workers, Erika, Lygea, Samantha and Dan. We start off with a little humor, then it's get down to business. I feel like a healthy attitude about your work environment helps to break up the monotony and ultimately allows for us to be better employees. The hardest part is the call volume, it seems like at some point there is an endless sea of calls, and I cringe anytime one is dropped. We want to help every patient and it's unfortunate when we miss that opportunity.
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
Short Breaks
Pennsylvania Hospital: a good, not great, place to work
Oncology Nurse (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 15, 2015
Pennsylvania Hospital, part of University of Pennsylvania Health System, and the nation's first hospital is a good place to work. UPHS coporate policies and restrictions have really lowered employee morale over the last several years, as well as introducing mountains of red tape that make life and health more restrictive for patients and employees alike. Everything about this hospital is overpriced, from the Pavilion (an elite unit in which you can pay an extra $400/night for a private room with fancy menu) to the charge for TV/phone in your double room ($8/day) to parking (up to $24/day). Also, the UPHS culture of toxic nurse managers drives high turnover of nursing staff.
Wonderful workplace team that were like family!
REFERRAL COUNSELOR/CALL BACK PROJECT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 12, 2015
Each day we assisted the public population with obtaining physician and service information under the University of Pennsylvania Health System.

Our team were like a family. We helped each other in our vocation and our personal lives. This type of atmosphere insured that everyone met production and was doing okay, otherwise.

Each year I trained and directed the Christmas Choir.... wonderful!
Pros
Salary, Benefits, Great work environment
Cons
I was laid off
Great opportunity to learn and grow to develop and advance my career in the healthcare industry
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 19, 2015
The University of Pennsylvania Health System has offered me opportunities to advance and develop my skills and practice as a Registered Nurse.
Corporate Purchasing/Materials Management (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 15, 2015
Productive and some days a little stressful than others. I have learned a lot creating spreadsheets for contract vendors.
Pros
half hour before work to be late
Great benefits, caddy staff
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 5, 2015
Great benefits, excellent healthcare, beautiful faculty to work in. But, leadership in outpatient office were self- centered and prejudice. Not many minorities or diversity in office. Few staff were friendly, but most were caddy and not so warm and friendly.
Pros
Flexibility, benefits
Cons
Caddy staff, prejudice
I Can Honestly Say, It's The Worst Job I've Ever Had
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 10, 2016
Pros
Friendly co-workers who sympathize with what you're going through.
Each practice is slightly different, so it might not be as bad in other departments.
The company name will look good on your resume.

Cons
-You're confronted with patients literally yelling at you ALL day long. For no reason. Some of them have mental problems but it is still is frustrating.
- Some of the doctors and nurses are yelling at you too. So you're getting it from all sides.
- You're locked into the same position for a year. UNLESS, you get a promotion. But, in reality many PSR's have been in the same position for over ten years.
-If you receive tuition, you're locked into another year of service.
-Management doesn't have your back. Even though some of the practice managers know from personal experience what you're going through, having been PSR's themselves.
- Low pay.
- Totally not worth it if you have a college degree.
- Very disorganized.
- Stressful
- No parking
- Can be a tough commute if you don't live in W. Philly or Center City
- The health insurance is not as good as some private companies. Which is weird being that this IS a health system.
- Very few paid holidays
- No snow days
- The max vacation time you can earn is about 4 weeks

Advice to Management
There is a reason why there is such a high turn-over for PSR positions.
Pros
Very depressing environment
Cons
Penn Med looks good on your resume. Which you'll soon need when you start applying to other jobs.
always a learning experience
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 23, 2015
There was always something new to learn and interacted with people from various backgrounds and levels of intellectualism.

2.8