University of Pennsylvania Employee Reviews

Great place to develop
Research Specialist (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 20, 2017
Great place to develop and learn.
Strong collaboration opportunities.
Strong faculty members.
Competitive and stimulating environment.
Opportunities to learn new methods.
Work in All
Clerical Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  University City, PAOctober 20, 2017
Balanced, easy leveled work week. Workplace culture ratio could be better but definitely not complaining. Management is fine. The typical work day is normal.
U Penn
Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 18, 2017
Great place to start a research career. Limited in opportunities to advance career.

Benefits are great. Work life balance is hard if you live far but most departments are flexible with personal life requirements.
Great Place to Study and Work
Student (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 13, 2017
Very good shool, while it is very competitive, it very much prepares you for the real world. I enjoyed taking classes in specifically the Statistics Department within Wharton.
A place that allows you to be creative
IT Manager (D) (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 13, 2017
I do enjoy where I work, it's a place where we encourage innovation, creativity and allow my staff to work in a relaxed environment free of judgement and corporate culture. I always work with my staff to think outside the box, and not to use the conventional way of helping others. It's a very nice place to work, minus the compensation.
Staff Accountant, Office of Research Services (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 12, 2017
Penn not only provided a great career with good benefits and solid career advancement opportunities, it also provided the opportunity for educational advancement. While working at Penn, I was able to advance professionally while securing a Masters degree from one of the world best learning institutions.
Pros
Good culture, great benefits, excellent people
Cons
Career transition opportunities and cross training
Part time gig
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 12, 2017
I have held two part time jobs at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA. The primary objective was to pay for my living expenses. Typical work week was 20 hours
Great Learning Experience
Recruiter/Research Assistant (Full Time) (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 12, 2017
This has to be one of the most rewarding careers I've even embarked on. I've learned so much and have grown as a person and professionally because of this experience.
Great academic for starting career
Senior Research Investigator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 11, 2017
Great academic environments and diverse cultural atmosphere.
Good place to cultivate your skills and experiences.
Due to dfunding status, not stable job available.
Pros
Great environment and atmosphere.
Cons
Lower pay and unstable job.
The University of Penn offers exceptional pay/benefit package
Building Trades Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 10, 2017
The University as a whole can be an exciting place to work. They offer a comprehensive pay structure based on the current market demands. The benefit package is exceptional in all that it offers from Medical and Life Insurance to matching retirement options along with tuition reimbursement.

I can only truly speak for the department that I worked in but the upper management personnel leaves much to be desired. Their lack or communication, specific direction and mutual respect is unacceptable in any organization none the less at an extremely diverse university.
Pros
Compensation, benefits and overall environment
Cons
Upper management professionalism
Great Starting point
Archaeologist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 9, 2017
The University of Pennsylvania is a great place to work to get an understanding of what a job in the field of academics entails. It offers an encompassing approach to a job field and all that comes with it. Working for the Museum I definitely learned what I like and do not like about archaeology and anthropology, both are quite valuable to know moving forwards in a career.
Animal Care Technician
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 6, 2017
Cut throat environment which people are always looking to get you fired. Its a very tough job and very, very physical work. You will be breaking your back everyday.
Pros
Learned a lot of bio medical things
Cons
management, coworkers, no appreciated, and favoritism
productive and friendly
Post Doctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 5, 2017
Very nice enviroment, good relationship with colleagues, hard work but not competitive or stressfull, learn a lot of different tecniques, most enjoyable work.
Inventive and creative laboratory
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 5, 2017
My typical day at work involved running western blot experiments and analyzing the results of previous experiments. I learned that research has to meticulously follow the scientific method including the comparison of experimental results with the results of other researchers who have conducted the same experiment in the past. The hardest part of the job was to find out if there was any human error in the experiment if the results did not support the hypothesis. The most enjoyable part of the job was finding out that the when the results of a certain experiment corroborated the hypothesis.
Pros
Interesting Work
Cons
Low salary
great hospital
FACULTY (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 3, 2017
Great hospital, high quality medicine, good training as well. I performed all levels of care and was a teaching attending years ago. It is high quality tertiary care facility.
A place where you see the good you are doing for higher education.
Sr. Capital Accounting Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 3, 2017
My typical day is approving contracts for construction and renovation as well as other procurement commitments. Providing updates and reviewing project status and reconciliations for a sampling of 300 ongoing construction and renovation projects. Planning for project closeouts. Preparing surveys such as for NSF. Answering questions on process and policy.

Quarterly preparing cash flow projections for Treasurer, reviewing performance of staff consisting of four accountants (who service 28 project managers) for construction and renovation.

Long term, working on new University initiatives such as Purchasing portal, e-Builder system updates, and presentations for Board of Trustees as needed.
Pros
Very good life-work balance with very good benefits. Great people to work with.
Cons
Non-Profit providing less monetary incentives, small raises.
Productive and Relaxed Workplace
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 28, 2017
A typical day at work at the office entails seeing participants or patients, prepping the proper documents for visits, transferring specimens to the Lab or hospital and entering data for specific visits. I learned a lot at this job when I first started. I learned how to become proficient in phlebotomy, I learned how to talk with patients using strategies from motivation interviewing, I learned how to be more organized and detail oriented and most of all I learned how to be a professional. The management is here at Penn is always great. They set a standard for all employees to provide nothing but the best care for others. They also look out for employees and are very flexible in scheduling vacation time or sick time. The environment here is one that is friendly and challenging. The workplace culture is very accepting of everyone and allows one to grow within the company both professionally and personally. It is challenging as well because there are always situations that require you to adapt and take on more tasks or a bigger role within the office.The hardest part of the job would be trying to balance your workload and not become burnt out. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to interact with participants and co workers. The possibility of knowing that a conversation you had with a participant may have changed their life for the better is very rewarding as well.
Pros
Free lunches, Free training
Cons
Low pay, No overtime
Good
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 27, 2017
Open to knowledge sharing and learning, encouragement for certifications on company expenditure, interaction with cross-cultural & cross-functional teams. A free environment to work and implement new ideas.
great experience
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 25, 2017
I had a great experience working at Upenn during the summer of 2016. I was fortunate to meet some talented young youths from the city of Philadelphia.
Great
IT Technical Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 25, 2017
Great to be a part of a innovative place that excels in management. Since the university is a decentralized organization it is hard to understand at first where everything starts and ends.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Pennsylvania. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2