University of Pennsylvania

University of Pennsylvania Employee Reviews

Horrible staff.
Catering associate (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 31, 2016
I loved the job itself, have zero complaints about the work I was doing. I can not say the same about the people I was put to work with. Very rude and lazy.
big institute and knowlegable staff
Research Specialist C (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 15, 2016
good institution with lot of opportunities. Good environment to work. Well recognized in the world. Good library and journals are available online with institute's subscription.
A very time management based work.
Behavioral Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 12, 2016
I personally feel my experience was an eye opener. I was responsible for patient care along with the research/laboratory portion, which caused me to become better with my time management. When their were a lot of tasks that needed to be completed, I was able to organize myself, so I was constantly working/finishing tasks throughout the day, so they would all be completed by the end of the week.
Pros
Patient experience, research experience, publications
Good stable place to work
Senior Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 12, 2016
UPenn had a good culture and good people working there. Unfortunately I was stuck on a dog of a project, but beyond that, it was a great place to work.
n/a
HR Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 11, 2016
a lot of changes going on. With change comes anxiety of some employees. Hard to get through to them that change is needed but continually try. Great work environment
Excellent Worker
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 8, 2016
On a daily basis, my responsibilities vary , which consist of no less than training new drivers, dispatching, payroll, book keeping, road observations, driving when needed. The hardest part of the job is when I may have to terminate an employee.
Pros
Always learning something new
Cons
not making a great salary
I work at the Univesity of Penn
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 18, 2016
I have worked here for 3 years. It will be four years on July 22nd, 2017. I started out as a temp and was blessed to be hired full time.
Fun place!
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 11, 2016
It's veey exciting being at Upenn. I worked with a specific group that cathered towards kids in public school and I enjoyed every bit of it! It fell nice knowing that I was making a difference in someone's life!
Pros
Meet people that inspire you
Teaching Assistant.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 23, 2016
Great experience as a teaching assistant. Learnt a lot of skills I normally would not have been able to polish. Hours can be long at times but a very enjoyable and rewarding experience.
Cons
Very long Hours.
Awesome graphics lab
Research Intern, SIGLAB (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 19, 2016
Spacious lab with great faculty and top notch equipment. Everything a research student can ask for. I was able to meet some astounding people from different domains.
Great Benefits
Clinical Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 17, 2016
Tuition, Health insurance and other benefits!
You have to be detail oriented to love your job.
A typical day could be working at your desk 9-5PM or recruiting and consenting patients in the hospital.
Who is the place that nobody knew what they was doing and everybody one to be a boss
Set Up Crew (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 14, 2016
I need a job that not me one work together be a team be a family get in get out do everything you gotta do that's kind of job I need with benefits something I can look for Fort Worth 4
Unorganized
Records Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 13, 2016
It started out as a good job. Then it just went down hill. Management needs to listen to what their employees have to say (to better the department) and not just micro manage.
Okay work place
Senior Research Investigator (Current Employee) –  Department of PsychiatryOctober 10, 2016
As a work place Upenn id good but the lab I worked in did not give me too much scope to grow or further advance my career. Upenn gives good benefit though.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Not much scope of career advancement
I enjoyed my time there.
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 10, 2016
I learned alot about how to care for animals. I enjoyed watching them play and interaction between my co-workers, It was never a dull day.The work was hard but rewarding.
Pros
The pay was great
Cons
I wished it was a fulltime position instead of a temp position
Great co workers and great environment
Administrative and Marketing Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 6, 2016
Gained lots of experience in marketing and event coordination
Worked well under time pressure
Great co workers
Lots of tasks, but I was never bored
A nice place to work, but little to no room to move up.
Clinical Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 5, 2016
Much of what I do is basically communicating with prospective study patients. I have a lot of leeway to do things the way I see fit. I feel that the company is great, my coworkers, boss, and higher ups are all delightful The only drawback is most research jobs are basically contract obligations of at least a year. Once the study is over or the year is finished, there's not much else to do unless they renew the study that you were working on or find an outside promotion.
N/a
Supervisor of Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 2, 2016
I worked for a contractor for Penn, it started out okay until I got sick. After that things seem to go down hill for me and the contractor and University of Pennsylvania.
Upenn Family
Administrative Financial Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 22, 2016
Upenn is a big family and great place to work! The campus ia rather large but the employee are all will to help you along your journey. The work is sometimes hard but it is manageable.
Pros
Education perks
Unprofessional & Unorganized
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  PhiladelphiaSeptember 8, 2016
Mirroring what the above review has stated; employment in this company really depends on the team and your supervisors. Like the above poster, I found that my supervisor was more interested in handling personal family affairs then with the training of his employees. Training was utterly non existent unless you consider being in the same room as a manager hunches over his computer and mutters to himself while working and ignores or deflects all attempts at questioning as training.

Utilization of skills and allocation of tasks was another persistent problem, as the job listed became less of an Information Technology professional, and more of a mover, desk clerk, and even personal assistant. There would be hours of time where no task would be given, and any attempt at asking for further tasks would be met with administrative busy work, office upkeep and cleanliness or routine physical labor.

With the right management, and a more developed training scheme, this position could have had potential, instead, it led to a disorganized conjunction of work that the manager admitted they had no intention of hiring for, nor any clearly defined idea of what the employee would do once they got there.

The atmosphere and environment are very pleasant, and every client that I had the pleasure of working for were engaging, helpful and kind.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Pennsylvania. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2