University of Phoenix Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,206 reviews matching the search
No Advacement
Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 24, 2015
University of Phoenix was a great place to work with many additional benefits. The pay was above average, as well as the amount of vacation days. The current situation for the University of Phoenix is there is no room for advancement. There are no management or leadership positions available within the enrollment department. With my career goals of moving to leadership positions it was not a place I could continue my career. The training was outstanding, the employees are some of the best people I've ever worked with and the culture was still upbeat and friendly.
Pros
Paid holiday and vacation days, free education
Cons
no advancement
Mission/Vision are second to none
Enrollment Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 4, 2015
The University truly means to educate their student population well. Their history of going about it differently however continues to haunt them in various ways even 40 years after being founded; which is odd considering most of the public Universities who disregarded them early on have adopted some of their methods for educating people. The people I worked with and around would never in any way mislead, misguide, or contort any truths or expectations for their students and their expectations. Great place to be, but the past 5 years have been difficult with the required downsizing that has occurred.
Pros
Work-life balance; education benefits, culture
Cons
No advancement opportunity
It was fun but I need to have a career that will let me advance.
Senior Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 28, 2016
I worked as a Senior Enrollment Representative. I served more as a life coach to those in need of guidance. I would employ active listening skills to help people of all kinds make an educated decision about how to move forward with their life. The company saw some drop in its stock due to the availability of online education through public institutions, not sure they were prepared for that. My co workers were great at helping and ensuring that we all evolved with the needs of our students. The hardest part was convincing people who did not want to work to do their homework. We were responsible for them passing their first class but they are usually in different cities and had different life challenges. Changing people lives was the most rewarding. Watching student go from no hope to graduation was by far the most rewarding experience I have ever had, to be a part of someone else's growth is an amazing feeling.
Pros
good salary, stable environment, great co workers
Cons
no advancement opportunities due to market and government oversight.
A very productive place to work
ADG ENROLLMENT REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 10, 2016
The University of Phoenix was a great place to work, you can earn your degree at no cost to you. I enjoyed my time there. You would work with students who are currently earning their AA Degree to stay in contact with them, answer any questions or address any concerns they might have. When the student get to 42 plus credits they would get transferred to the Bachelor's degree department to find out what the students future education and career goals are. I enjoyed my job.
Pros
Great Benefits
Dont work here
Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDJanuary 27, 2016
Your required to enroll so many students a month. But here's the catch, you don't get credit for enrollment , unless the student passes their class and starts the next class. Even though the university stills get paid whether or not they pass the first class. In addition they tell you, you have a chance to earn a 20% raise each year. What they don't tell you is that there is a chance to get a 20% reduction as well. The metric system is not designed for employees, but for the companies success. Hence the high turn over rate..
Pros
Cons
Everything about this company is bad
A fun and mostly enjoyable place of work
Academic Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 14, 2015
Although I left University of Phoenix due to professional and personal aspirations, I did enjoy most of my time there. This was a place where management and colleagues were seemingly supportive and compassionate to students and to each other. Only upper management seemed to not have the idea of continuing to help those in lower positions thrive, as much of the structure of work progress and promotion were changed drastically causing almost no career advancements to become possible.
Pros
Good salary and good colleagues
Cons
Few to no career advancement opportunities
UOP Overall Review
Enrollment Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 25, 2015
Unfortunately the University of Phoenix is headed in the wrong direction. The culture is in disarray and has been for the past 4 years. Leadership cant make up their minds and a lot of good people are continuing to leave the company. Sadly I have been there for almost 13 years but have finally come to the realization that I need to move on. I want to join a company where I can grow, be recognized and know that my hard work will payoff in the end. I want to join a company where whom I can retire with and sadly the University of Phoenix no longer affords me this opportunity.
Pros
good benefits, good pay
Cons
poor leadership, bad culture, shaky future, layoffs every 3 months.
Very positive and fun place to work.
Student Outreach Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 13, 2015
Fun place to work, employees/management very positive people to work for. Everyone is a team player. The benefits are excellent.
Typical day at work, clock in and start making phone calls to students that previous attended at the college. We diff options to offer students that didn't want to continue there education ( our goal was to get them re-enrolled). The only complaint I have with this position is when we couldn't reach a student, there phone number was called every 2 hours til we reached which made the students irate.
Pros
excellent benefits, good company, good people to work with
productive and fun place to work with very convenient online work hours
Adjunct Faculty, MBA Courses (Former Employee) –  onlineJanuary 31, 2016
In the online classes and campus of University of Phoenix it was great meeting new people from all over the globe in an asynchronous environment whereby professionals met, learned, collaborated, and contributed their personal academic & professional experiences from all walks of life - in an effort to earn a degree or certification. The graduates and students of University of Phoenix know that they're contributing far more to their career fields than just text book knowledge. They have world class experience and best practices to offer any potential employer and/or to venture out as entrepreneurs.

What a great place to work!
Pros
Learning with people all over the world and never having to leave home
Cons
University of Phoenix is a great place to work
Senior Enrollment REP (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCOctober 30, 2015
All in all, University of Phoenix provides the best working environment, compensation, and work-life balance that I have ever been fortunate enough to be a part of.
Pros
Compensation, work-life balance, good management
Cons
bad reputation that comes from disgruntled former employees and students
Microooooooooooooooooooooooooo mgt
Senior Enrollment Representative (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 9, 2016
Used to be an awesome place to work. Not so much now. Some terrible managers. Some good ones (if they are still left). Very high stress, low job security, little room for advancement.
Pros
MICROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MGT
Cons
MICRO MICRO MICRO Management, high stress
Enrollment advisor
International Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 24, 2016
Making contact and reaching out to potential students via phone and e-mail as well as taking incoming inquiries, and learning about previous education and current career direction so that a plan could be put in place towards a program that would benefit the student in taking steps towards the completion of a degree. i would assist student in looking at options for financing education, take in needed documents for admissions and make myself available to assist the student in using the available resources to help with the students success.
Pros
assisting others towards career goals
For-profit university focused on bodies enrolled and retention
Academic Counselor (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GASeptember 22, 2015
Hostile work environment with little management support. Minimal opportunity for advancement. Unreasonable work expectations and no credit given by management for exceeded regular work schedule. Management plays favorites while employees are reprimanded for requesting personal time off. Student retention is of the utmost importance, no matter the student's circumstance. Little tutoring is offered for low-achieving students. Many students require remedial math and English, albeit, enrollment strives for numbers, therefore, not many students are turned down. Overall, the school, despite the for-profit designation, could be an ideal place to work and an excellent source of learning for students, as long as upper management supports employees and maintains honesty with students regarding their financial aid and program completion.
Pros
Limited
Cons
Reference review
Busy role but the people make it fun!
Enrollment Manager (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAJune 30, 2015
Multitasking daily in this role is a must. I'm responsible for assisting my team with escalated issues, reporting system or equipment issues on the team, analyzing and reporting data to upper Management, processing timecards and vacation requests all while coaching my team and making it a fun place to work. The speed of the captain is the speed of the crew! Changes are constantly happening so I have to make sure to focus on the important items and not let the team focus on the negative. The hardest part of the role is keeping folks motivated while not being able to offer them much flexibility in their day or compensation based on performance.
Pros
Good medical benefits, tuition assistance and multiple locations
Cons
Downsizing tremendously and no job security
University of Phoenix
ENROLLMENT REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJuly 12, 2016
The environment was in contrary to what training portrayed it to be. In training they stated you can't get fired due to numbers but once you got on the floor the managers were informing the employees that if the production rates (numbers) were not high then you could be penalized for it and reprimanded. There was no security with this job and extremely stressful. You had to enroll students that clearly stated they were financially in a bind and if there was no indication on the conversation that you tried to get them to sign up anyways it was not deemed a good call.
The environment was a lot of pressure and did not work for someone with a family.
The only great thing about this job was it paid well but I learned my lesson that getting paid well does not mean you will be happy with your job.
I enjoyed my time at University of Phoenix
Enrollment Manager (Current Employee) –  DallasNovember 3, 2015
A typical day at work would include coaching sessions with my employee and 1 on 1 meeting discussing job performance. Often we highlight the things that that are going well and we try to identify areas of opportunity that will benefit my employee moving forward. Over the years our leadership has not improve but has declined. This has caused me to question if I should continue to be a part to the company. There was a time when the leadership was great and I felt as if I was constantly learning and evolving as a leader. Now that development is not there and advancement opportunities are not as abundant. The hardest part of my job is knowing that decisions that I make as a leader could negatively impact someone's family. I alway strive to make sure that I help every employee to the best of my ability and that every appraoch is taken prior to making decisions about their emplyment. The thing that I enjoy most about my job is seeing people's potential and helping them to achieve the goals that they have set for themselves. The most rewarding thing that I have experienced in my career is seeing my employees get promoted or move into the career that they set their goals to work toward.
Pros
Benefits, People, Growth
Cons
Developement, Advancement, Salary
Sr. Finance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 15, 2016
Working with UOP for 10 years I've accomplished obtaining my Bachelors degree and halfway through my Masters. I enjoyed working alongside my fellow coworkers as we shared experiences, mentored and worked above and beyond what was asked of us. On the downside some of the mgmt played favoritism often, office politics was a regular conversation that worked against some of us. My last mgr asked us often on how to do things that she should already know, talked down to employees, and micro managed a tenured team who already had high scores on ethics, compliance and work mgmt. That was the hardest part of the job was dealing with bad mgmt, even when took to HR.
Pros
Benefits, Epic points, team volunteer outings, and appreciation days
Cons
short breaks, micro managing
Full time Student
MSN/EDU (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 11, 2016
Worked for over 20 years in nursing care of patients in the cardiac medical and surgical floor grounded the experiences of flexibility, adaptability, marketable services to the hospital organization through the nursing agencies I was connected with. Team work with the co-workers, management, and the multidisciplinary team is the focus caring of the patients. Highly compensated with satisfactory result added to the enjoyable job of nursing care in the hospital clinical settings.
Pros
Continuing Higher Education for Doctorate in Nursing
Cons
Stagnation
University of Phoenix
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 18, 2016
The campus where I taught was not in a good part of town, so working until late at night was a little scary. The classes were great. The students for the most part wanted to be there, so they worked hard. It did not take long to determine the students who were just trying to collect their financial aid check. There was so issue with one of the administrators that I worked under. After this administrator came into power, I left because too much was required of an adjunct professor in terms of attending faculty meetings, etc. They did not pay me enough as an adjunct to treat me like a full time professor and require me to attend meetings every month.
Great team working environment
Sr. Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MISeptember 17, 2015
UOP gives you great opportunity to assist adult learners in reaching their goals of educational achievement. Unfortunately there is no opportunity for advancement and a constant cycle of downsizing. UOP's competition has taken away their online uniqueness and left them seeking new ways to differentiate their educational services. They grew too big too fast and now are trying to right size their labor force and foot print in the USA.
Pros
Salary, Benefits, and skill development
Cons
Downsizing, no consistency or advancement opportunities

University of Phoenix Reviews by Location