University of Phoenix Employee Reviews

Found 1,294 reviews matching the search
Shifts in For Profit Education
Associate Faculty (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 22, 2017
Currently due to shifts in For Profit post secondary schools, enrollment is down and this impacts how much part time faculty get to work,
N/a
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Killeen, TXJanuary 20, 2017
This company is not one I would recommend working for. They do not have rigorous academic standards that are followed. I was told not to grade papers for a 3rd-year class as they should be graded. The students had no writing skills, it was appalling.
Poor job security
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 20, 2017
Lack of leadership and employee dedication. Lay-offs are often without notice leaving employees blindsided and without any preparation.
Pros
Free Education / Meal services
Cons
No job loyalty or security
Fun place to work.
Faculty Payroll Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 19, 2017
Staff and supervisors are nice, instructors are wonderful to
work with, understandable of your job. The university continues help
to know your job objective, priorities and program steps to
achieve your goal by doing your monthly and weekly work
programs step. They require to submit monthly 40 hours
continues education which I think is too much. If you fail to do
the 40 hours it affect you performance evaluation.
I like the graduation time because you see the students
graduated and you can feel they have fulfill their dreams.
Pros
Free field trips and lunch.
Cons
Limited growth for advancement, salary not commenserable to your job, benefits not good
I loved working at the University of Phoenix
Campus Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 19, 2017
Working at the University of Phoenix helped me gain experience in a multitude of different areas. The work environment provided an excellent work/life balance and fostered a great learning environment. The senior staff was very supportive.
Lack of continued opportunity
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 19, 2017
At first, I received numerous opportunites to teach and facilitate; however, business challenges for University of Phoenix limited opportunities for adjunct faculty.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
business challenges limited opportunities for adjunct faculty
Productive place to learn.
Full-Time Student (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 17, 2017
The facilitators had a wealth of knowledge and help students gain percpective of real-world issues and resolutions. Other student were able to add their insight of current working conditions. Completing this program required a lot of study time. Time management was necesssary to keep up with the course work and succeed in each class.
Pros
Plenty to learn
Cons
Required a lot of time to complete.
Great employees but no where to go
IT Service Desk Technician (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 16, 2017
There is no room for growth in this company. Most promotions come from outside the company and the company is shrinking so positions are being eliminated not created.
Pros
They hire great people
Cons
No room for growth or job security
Nice people....unstable, unfocused
Campus Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAJanuary 12, 2017
Really nice employer. I am really into changes. This organization, however, changes frequently, and seems to be lacking a real identity at this time, as well as direction. I have seen this in other reviews and would concur this is an issue. They do always land on their feet however, and imagine even with some of their most recent changes (pending change in ownership) it will land on its feet again. But more jobs will be lost in the process, as they move to an actual business model (no frills), and reorganize. Work is pleasant, students are great, co-workers are nice, mid-management is nice. Never met any of the others.
Pros
Nice co-workers, managers, and students
Cons
Organization is facing identity crisis and lacks focus
Selling the Dream
Student Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 12, 2017
I worked with UOPX for over six years. I was excited to help people with gaining access to higher education. In my role I was an Enrollment Counselor/Advisor, but I was actually a student recruiter in a sales role with a sales quota. Because of the DOE regulations we were not allowed to earn commissions, so I was in a sales role with all of the pressures of making a quota and little financial reward.

On a typical day at work I called at least 60 people and probably got 20 to answer the telephone. Out of the 20 that answered I was probably able to have a substantive conversation with about eight, and from those eight conversations I was able to schedule appointments or receive applications from about two. I spent my days on the telephone and in student meetings. I needed to average four hours of student contact each day on the telephone.

My management was decent. My director was married to one of the managers, another manager was his best friend. They worked hard at training us, and then making sure that we hit our revenue goals.

My co-workers were like family. Our environment was like a boiler room so we helped each other cope with humor.

The hardest part of the job was enrolling people into college that were only interested in collecting a financial aid check.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people to achieve their educational and professional goals.
Pros
Education assistance, and benefits
Cons
sales with no commissions, and unstable work environment
Great Organization in Tough Times
Re-Entry Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 12, 2017
University of Phoenix is a great place with great culture, but they're facing some serious challenges from the government and saturated market.
That's what I've got to say.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
lack of advancement
Most enjoyable part of the job
Campus Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 10, 2017
I truly enjoyed watching the progression of student success. From the first day they walked in until graduation. You built a relationship with them and couldn't be happier to see most students succeed.
Online environment the method of the future
Instructor (Former Employee) –  onlineJanuary 9, 2017
Online education in synchronous and asynchronous environments are the method of the future. In an increasingly digital world, the perk of being able to do school work at any time and place are invaluable to today's working adult.
Great co workers many managers are inept.
Enrollment Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 8, 2017
It all depended on the manager you had. Most managers had zero expierance at management and zero training on how to manage. Few had excellent skills and lead the teams instead of micromanaging. They encouraged expansion of your skills and cheered you on. Sadly they were few and far between. Co-workers were fantastic and really careing people.
Pros
Good discounts on tuition
Cons
company has been going downhill and was recently sold.
Uopx
Sr. Campus Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAJanuary 1, 2017
The University is going through constant change over the last few years which can be challenging as you often may question your job security. The University has allowed me to learn many skills and meet many new friends. It is a great place to start your career, though there aren't many opportunities for growth.
It is a good oportunity to achieve your career .
Homemaker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 31, 2016
It gives me the mindset at home and the time to accomplish a degree at home even while recovering from my operation, to know that I can continue on with school.
Pros
Being motivated and persistence
Cons
Being focus and aware of downfalls
Better than you would think
Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 31, 2016
Phoenix really stacks up in comparison to other schools when it comes to rigor. Students who attend this school are pushed. The amount of work has decreased greatly at Phoenix. It seems that their doors may be closing in the next five years.
1 Day a week for class for 4 hours
Full time student (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GADecember 28, 2016
1 Day a week for class for 4 hours, or take the option to take online courses.

Campus life was good and very entertaining with learning.
Homework depended on the class you are in.
Director
Business Management (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 22, 2016
The University of Phoenix when I first started allow me and many professionals the opportunity to advance base on skills, education and performance. The culture was one of helping people achieve their goal of growing as a professional and our job consisted of helping people achieve their goal.
Pros
Competitive Salary
fun
Temporary Administrate Assistance (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IADecember 18, 2016
I enjoyed working here experience was great. I met alot of new people was able to work on alot of projects that i enjoyed. Uppermangment was great and co-works were too.
Pros
hours
Cons
temp only

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Phoenix. Our community is ready to answer.

University of Phoenix Reviews by Location