University of Phoenix

University of Phoenix Employee Reviews

Flexible place to work and make a difference
Facilitator - Cultural Diversity (ETH125) (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 20, 2015
Pros: Flexible schedules
Cons: low enrollment mean less contracts
I have enjoyed working for UoP and will continue to do so for many years to come. This is a place where I feel like I have made a significant difference in the lives of many people. The University is always changing and looking for ways to improve their standards. I am proud to be part of the team and look forward to a bright future for this great organization.
University of Phoenix is a great place to learn, work and teach.
LFAC CSCJ (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INMay 15, 2015
Pros: Online Courses
Cons: Student retention is a challenge.
University of Phoenix is a great institution to attend. Faculty are highly motivated and professionally trained facilitators that offer their students the best learning environment possible. Faculty want their students to succeed.

The entire University of Phoenix management team from the executive deans to the directors of campuses have only one goal in mind. Produce students that are capable fulfilling the requirements of future employers.

The most enjoyable part of the job is preparing for class. By reading, researching and documenting resources to be used in the classroom.

University of Phoenix is a great place to learn, work and teach.
Different
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee), Flowood, MSMay 13, 2015
I worked with one of the branches. Although I did not always agree with the way things were taught/handled, I always enjoyed the students.
Convinent place to attend scholl
Student (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKMay 11, 2015
I enjoy being able to take care of my toddler and go to school at the same time. During my time at the University I have grown to learn a lot about the job market today and society as a whole.
Call Center
Enrollment Representative (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMay 10, 2015
This job position "Enrollment Representative" is marketed as a position where you will be helping others achieve their educational goals. In reality this job is a call center, you will be expected to call a minimum of 80-100 people a day as well as be on the phone with students for 3 hours per day. You are micromanaged constantly down to management looking at what you are doing every 30 minutes of the day. The job does pay well and you get very good educational benefits after 6 months if you are looking for your master's but you have to willing to sit in a cubicle all day every day under constant scrutiny of how many students you enroll and fear of being fired constantly. If you are a creative thinker, and someone who thrives with independence this is not the job for you- they are looking for a 'sheep' mentality. However I knew several colleagues who enjoyed the job simply because they didn't mind doing the same thing day in day out and also did not mind enrolling people who probably will not be successful in online environment (no computer skills). If you are just looking for a job with a good salary and integrity or a positive environment aren't high on your priority list than I'm sure you would fit right in.
Okay place
Patient Ambassador (Former Employee), Tampa, FLMay 8, 2015
This is an okay place to work but I recommend looking elsewhere if you are looking to keep your job. Lay-offs happen often.
Wonderful University
Full Time Student (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 6, 2015
While going for my Master degree online it gave me the understanding of telecommuting and also how to work with others long distance. The hardest part of the job was that I have to be a self starter and respond to others questions about medical issues.The most enjoyable part of going back to school is to further my education while I am at home and I can make my own hours.
Overall, no problem working there.. plus they did have a ping pong table
Enrollment Representative (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 6, 2015
Pros: Very relaxed work environment
Cons: If you do what you're supposed to do and keep the conversations simple, there's really no problem
Log in to your phone, set your day up by reviewing your daily calendar for appointments and potential walk-to-classes, insure the enrolled students are in the proper courses before class begins. Make 50-100 dials to prospective student in your database, attend weekly team meetings for Company updates. I learned to keep your nose to the grindstone and ask questions as opposed to assuming that you know all the answers. My co-workers were amazing, they made the day go by quickly made the environment fun and we were a very close-knit team. The hardest part of my day was keeping busy towards the end if you were on a lower tier, you'd get less calls (which i never was) and if you'd taken time off you'd be inundated with lots of calls to bring you up to your cap. The most enjoyable part of my date was catching up with perspective students whom have been out of touch but were now reaching out because they were now ready to become a "Phoenix"..most touching.
Enrollment adviser
Enrollment Adviser (Former Employee), Tempe, AZMay 5, 2015
Pros: Decent benefits.
Cons: Most everything.
Bad bad bad!

Management makes the job a lot more difficult than it should be. The treat enrollment like a telemarketing job, yet, they legally cannot.

Bad place to work, nothing much good to say.
Good entry level job, free education
Student Admissions Administrator (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 4, 2015
Pros: Flexible scheduling, generous vacation time, free education
Cons: terrible software and machines - inability to get work done on them; top-down micromanagement, lack of employee input on processes.
It's a great company to gain a diverse set of skills ranging from information technology, customer service, the general college admissions process and how college accreditation and evaluation is done. But the pay is verifably low compared to similar institutions.

There are many positives including a good team atmosphere, great coworkers who are genuinely dedicated to improving processes and helping students attain their goals, and managers who are interested in employee engagement and development.

Managers are generally flexible with regards to scheudling time-off and employees are endowed with a generous PTO accrual which goes up yearly. And you get free tuition on an associates degree and bachelors degree, and almost free tuition on advanced degree programs.

The most enjoyable part of the job is having a flexible schedule in terms of shift times, breaks and lunches - although it is rather bizarre to require salaried employees to clock in and out for shifts, breaks and lunches.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with a great amount of ambiguity - the training and leadership teams try hard to cover scenarios, but the nature of having rigid policies against a wide range of student conditions means that judgement calls often have to be made that can sometimes result in errors. Maangement is rather inflexible when employees reason towards why a decision was made that was ultimately ruled to be erroneous.

Even though many managers are flexible, there are a decent mix which either don't appear to care for their jobs and leave employees hanging, or lack intuitive – more... management experience and go straight to micromanaging, leading to lower productivity and lower employee morale. This micromanagement regime originates at the top with directors who do not appear to understand what it is exactly that employees do day to day, blaming employees first for processes which were flawed from the beginning without input from those doing the job.

Possibly the worst part of the job is the crony-ism that develops between leadership of departments and vendors. Friends only hire friends - so merit based promotions are tenuous at best and the software developed in house is riddles with bugs (try clocking in and out for lunch, I bet you can't because it's down again). – less
Sales Enviroment
Senior Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee), Memphis,TNMay 3, 2015
Pros: Competitive Sales Enviroment
Cons: Stressful Admission Enviroment
Represent the University both on- and off-campus to a prospective students, parents, secondary school counselors and other individuals or organizations involved in the college selection.
• Plan and implement recruitment activities for assigned high schools and territories
• Counsel prospective applicants on the admissions process and opportunities at the University
• Review and score application essays and other materials submitted by applicants for the purposes of making admission decisions
• • Coordinate and contribute to the success of various student visit programs designed to recruit targeted prospective applicants to the University
Career starter job
Senior Enrollment Representative (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 3, 2015
Pros: Employee discount program, free water/ice/tea/coffee
Cons: Lack of opportunity, instability
A typical day at work consists of prospecting new students by making dials, sending emails and relationship-building. I have learned how to adapt to change and think critically in situations. My manager is the best, he listens and responds appropriately to employee needs or questions. My co-workers are hardworking and most of us treat each other like family. The hardest part of the job has been the removal of performance increases, seeing massive layoffs, and knowing that I have reached a cap on salary due to my position and advancement is almost non-existent due to hiring freezes and layoffs.
Micromanagement has become their rule of the day
Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 1, 2015
I worked here for 4 1/2 years and the first 2 years were great. After that the management changed a lot and every aspect of the day was micromanaged.
Fun Professional
Admissions Advisor/Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee), CAMay 1, 2015
Professional
Focused
Great Customer service
Really good work-life balance
hard to move up to earn more money
Lack growth oppertunities
Great part time opportunity
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLApril 29, 2015
I enjoyed teaching Human Resource classes both on site and online for the University. I met lots of interesting people who were already working in the business field and wanted to grow more in their areas. This was a teaching experience where I taught and also learned from my students. Most interesting career opportunity.
Great work community
Finance Advisor (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 28, 2015
An excellent work environment, great people to work with, management does have its setbacks but overall day to day, it is a great place to work.
Diverse environment, team projects, community volunteering, flexibility
Teacher Education Specialist (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 27, 2015
Pros: Community volunteering with department
Cons: Placing students for student teaching
Handle and accomplish priorities as soon as possible, flexible with work tasks and schedule, solving customer's inquires, enjoy group projects and training, challenges solving disputes/complaints, managing/coordinating students' education advancement, planning, coordinating and facilitating projects and special events.
Nothing but a number
Qualifying Specialist (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 27, 2015
I can't fault the education side of University of Phoenix, but the job environment makes you feel like nothing but a number. If you decide to leave, it is not an issue as they can fill your seat in moments; most places have that luxury these days, but UoP makes you feel it.
University of Phoenix
Enrollment Representative (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 22, 2015
It is a good place to work, benefits are great but opportunities for advancement are limited. Standards are not consistent and it is difficult to know what is expected at all times
Excellent
Executive Enrollment Representative (Former Employee), Augusta, GAApril 21, 2015
Pros: healthcare, salary
University of Phoenix, Augusta Campus, was a wonderful place of employment. The campus culture was open and honest. I was given clear guidelines and directives, and I understood my role completely. The were many opportunities for advancement, and I was promoted twice during my tenure at the campus. We worked on graduation teams and were given extensive training to understand the different roles of each member and how these roles intertwined to create a level 10 customer service experience for our students. Management gave required trainings and was available to assist the employees questions. Overall, my 8-year tenure with the University of Phoenix was positive.

1 2 3 4 5

About University of Phoenix

In 1976, Dr. John Sperling, a Cambridge-educated economist, saw an opportunity: to create an accredited academic institution that – Read more

University of Phoenix Salaries

$42,500 per year
Academic Counselor
$45,000 per year

University of Phoenix Photos

Where I spent 1.8 months of my time.
Graduation 2013.  Enrollment and support staff.