University of Phoenix

University of Phoenix Employee Reviews

Found 1,321 reviews matching the search
A good stepping stone to better things
Academic Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 12, 2016
Working at the University of Phoenix was a great introduction into the pros and cons of corporate culture. The state of the Organization really impacted the morale and as an ever shifting state of emergency also locked down many chances at advancement or job security. This could be felt within the management as well as at times you could feel the grind of performance and initiatives being pushed down the pipeline. The most enjoyable part of the working with the company were the times when communicating with students and you genuinely change their lives or provide them with assistance that will assist them in reaching their goals. The hardest part of working for the university would be the ever changing nature of the organization and its focus. At times you could sense leadership changes affecting the focus or certain initiatives instituted as flavor of the month focuses.
Pros
Good benefits packages and compensation
Cons
No room for advancement, very little personal growth to be had in positions, Job security.
Fun place to work.
Faculty Payroll Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 19, 2017
Staff and supervisors are nice, instructors are wonderful to
work with, understandable of your job. The university continues help
to know your job objective, priorities and program steps to
achieve your goal by doing your monthly and weekly work
programs step. They require to submit monthly 40 hours
continues education which I think is too much. If you fail to do
the 40 hours it affect you performance evaluation.
I like the graduation time because you see the students
graduated and you can feel they have fulfill their dreams.
Pros
Free field trips and lunch.
Cons
Limited growth for advancement, salary not commenserable to your job, benefits not good
Great working environment
Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN 46250February 6, 2017
A typical day at the University of Phoenix is contacting 100 prospective students by telephone. I would take approximately 10 to 20 incoming calls per day. These calls concern enrollment and students currently attending. I answered calls for both myself and other advisors employed by the University. I also called students currently enrolled in school to guarantee success. I assisted with online applications and financial aid. I also conducted face to face interviews with potential student, as well as by telephone.

I felt fortunate to be working with students and assisting in motivating them toward meeting their personal goals. Watching a student graduate is the most amazing feeling.

I enjoyed my fellow colleagues and my management team because I felt there was an air of respect for everyone. We all pitched in and worked as a team. My management team also assisted me in achieving personal goals.

The most difficult part of the job was learning that the home offices were closing all Indiana campuses.
Pros
Benefits were exceptional
Cons
Closed IN campuses
Not the best experience, but loved my coworkers.
Academic Counselor (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 22, 2017
The problem I had here was that, at the time, I was not set up for success. I believe it has changed, but at the time, reviews were based on retention. Often, students who would not likely succeed were recruited in order to hit recruitment numbers, but dropped weeks later. I was still reviewed based on those students. Didn't receive a raise while there due to this issue, though our customer service reviews were incredibly high. Most of my department was laid off based on retention. I think that's changed now, though.
Good employer - adjusting to major market changes.
Academic Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 31, 2017
The company is a great company. Going through a lot of change right now due to governments extreme regulation of private for-profit colleges the past 3 years and major shifts in the market over the past 5 years. Once buyout is completed and the dust settles, the direction the company is going should bring it to the forefront of employers once again.
Pros
Good pay and benefits for the type of work one does.
Cons
At this time, there is little to no opportunity for upward movement.
Ready for change
Executive Financial Advisor - Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 14, 2016
Has been decent company to work for. Over the 13 years has changed into something I don't wish to be apart of any longer. call center. I love the people, volunteer opportunities, some flexibility with hours and family needs (not as much now), vacation time (PTO) very generous, benefits are pretty good but a little pricey. I live kind of far so the drive is probably my most dreaded.
Pros
vacation time, sick time, decent benefits, first level management pretty good.
Cons
Changes that happen, systems are not properly working, escalations
Was an okay place to work, benefits far outweighed the bad in the company
Student outreach specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 17, 2016
Was an okay place to work, the benefits such as insurance and such far outweighed any of the bad in the company. They were very strict about your phone calls, our department was fairly new so we had to be very adaptable to change, because it was bound to happen at any point, and in a moments notice. Most people all felt the same about the company, and it was a private for profit organization, which a lot did not agree with, and ended up becoming a fault for the college. I still speak with some old co workers who still work there, and they have said many have moved on as they were laid off and things got really bad when the public started to question their creditability.
Part-Time Associate Faculty (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 1, 2016
I like the flexibility the University offers in terms of being able to teach Psychology online and be available for my kids. I only wish as instructors the company paid a competitive rate compared to other online schools and offered more solicitations to teach a class more than one time per year.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
compensation and benefits
Exciting and rewarding career. Great company with great benefits
Quality Specialist and Student Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 13, 2016
On a daily basis I would listen to taped student and advisor interactions, and evaluate the student experience. I was able to work from home, which was very convenient, Although I worked from home, I had daily interaction with my team, and my work was consistently above average and valuable, according to my manager ratings.
Pros
telecommuting, great benefits, consistent feedback from management
Pretty good job
Certification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 1, 2017
Enjoyed the work. Expectations were fairly high, but manageable. The last year or two was fairly stressful as there were changes taking place. Learned a lot about financial aid.
Pros
Had pretty good benefits. OT tended to be available.
Cons
Some micro management. sometimes mandatory OT, or couldn't take vacation days when mandatory OT in affect.
Good Technology for Instructor Use
Faculty and Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Reno, NevadaDecember 4, 2016
I was teaching part-time, I liked the experience and the staff professionalism. The material was clear and the environment was comfortable to work in. The training was very good for instructors.

I learned a great deal about online university structure.

I liked the "smart classrooms and the classroom size.

The company provided benefits such as financial perks.
Pros
technology
Cons
students were "customers" no flexibility
Good benefits - rough culture because of the acquistion/regulation changes
Financial Services Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 19, 2016
I had a terrific time working with University - they helped me fund my education, have very competitive compensation packages, and helped me meet good people I have lasting relationships with.

Because of the regulation changes imposed by the government, along with the competition within the market, things became very challenging to maintain students, recruit new students, and help students remain motivated to complete their education.
Used to Super Place To Work
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  onlineFebruary 7, 2017
I worked for UOP for over seven years and at first it was a wonderful place to work. I was an adjunct professor and taught numerous classes at a time when I first started out and thus made good money. The expectations of students and facilitators were high which I found to be a good thing. Something changed about three years ago. UOP no longer focuses on the needs of the student. They require that all students receive 100 percent on workshop assignments if they just try to complete it. I could not bring myself to continue to facilitate courses in this manner. Giving a student full points on an assignment is simply not fair to the students who do work hard and earn full points. It also teaches students that all they have to do is try and they will earn the same benefits as those who do not. UOP lost their sense of pride somewhere along the way. While they should be concerned about dollars, that should not take precedent over teaching students what they are paying to learn. Handing out diplomas for trying does not help anyone; especially not the student. I had to leave the University for these reasons but I do appreciate allowing me to help students learn over the last seven years. I just wish it would have stayed like it was back in the early 2000's.
Pros
Online learning environment super
Cons
Focused only on profits now. Students take a back seat.
Director
Business Management (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 22, 2016
The University of Phoenix when I first started allow me and many professionals the opportunity to advance base on skills, education and performance. The culture was one of helping people achieve their goal of growing as a professional and our job consisted of helping people achieve their goal.
Pros
Competitive Salary
An excellent place to work, a great work environment
Full Time Doctoral Faculty (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 11, 2016
See above. I enjoyed working for UOP, the people I worked with, and the work was very interesting and challenging. I traveled frequently through out the U.S. and worked with outstanding students.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Long hours and lots of research
Working at University of Phoenix
Call Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 6, 2016
I've been working for University of Phoenix for a little over 13 years. I started at an entry level position with a temp agency and became a permanent employee after 60 days. I exceeded expectations in my position and within 6 months was promoted to a Call Center Trainer position. I was in that position for 2 1/2 years when I was promoted to a Call Center Manager. I love what I do which makes it easy to come to work everyday. The best part of the job is the people. I have developed many long term relationships during my career. I perform at a very high level which encourages my team members to do the same. My team members enjoy working for me and would work any shift as long as they reported to me.
I've been very fortunate to work for such a great company and great leadership. There was a time when I felt like I would retire from here with the many benefits, job opportunities and great experiences I've had.
Recently, we've been experiencing several reduction in force and our positions aren't guaranteed in the future so I find it necessary to be proactive and begin to see what is available in the current job market.
Pros
Benefits such as healthcare, vacation, working with great people, building amenities/accommodations, hours of work
Cons
Working holidays
Enjoylable work environment and easy to balance work and home life.
Enrollment Counselor/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 5, 2016
This job was very rewarding on days that you met your goal, but could be stressful if you were having difficulty meeting monthly goal requirements.
Pros
The benefits for medical, dental, vision, and 401k.
Cons
The monthly enrollment goals that needed to be met in order to get a pay increase.
Great benefits, low employee morale
Technical Support Analyst - Level 1 (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 24, 2016
I have had a great experience working for University of Phoenix. The salary and benefits were great. The only down side was the employee morale. There have been frequent layoffs and there is not a great feeling of job security. therefore, I am keeping my eyers open and seeing what is out there.
Pros
Great benefits and amount of vacation days
Cons
Low employee morale and no room for advancement
Selling the Dream
Student Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 12, 2017
I worked with UOPX for over six years. I was excited to help people with gaining access to higher education. In my role I was an Enrollment Counselor/Advisor, but I was actually a student recruiter in a sales role with a sales quota. Because of the DOE regulations we were not allowed to earn commissions, so I was in a sales role with all of the pressures of making a quota and little financial reward.

On a typical day at work I called at least 60 people and probably got 20 to answer the telephone. Out of the 20 that answered I was probably able to have a substantive conversation with about eight, and from those eight conversations I was able to schedule appointments or receive applications from about two. I spent my days on the telephone and in student meetings. I needed to average four hours of student contact each day on the telephone.

My management was decent. My director was married to one of the managers, another manager was his best friend. They worked hard at training us, and then making sure that we hit our revenue goals.

My co-workers were like family. Our environment was like a boiler room so we helped each other cope with humor.

The hardest part of the job was enrolling people into college that were only interested in collecting a financial aid check.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people to achieve their educational and professional goals.
Pros
Education assistance, and benefits
Cons
sales with no commissions, and unstable work environment
No benefit for the loyal and commited
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 6, 2016
When I started working here, everyone seemed happy and loved their jobs. As the years progressed, and after John Sperling passed, people seemed more stressed. I worked there for several years, always told I was doing a great job, and given praise continuously, but had the lowest pay compared to those who worked there for a year or two. Promotions depended on how much the person interviewing you liked you. I interviewed for management jobs, but the interviewers were obviously not paying attention to what I was saying and I didn't feel I was taken seriously. I loved working there because of the work life balance and the ability to work from home. However, after 15 years and being diagnosed with a disability, I was let go with 6 weeks severance. I would have thought the severance would be more for all the time, loyalty, and kudos I've received. That is disappointing. If they asked me to come back, I don't know if I would because I would probably still make less than others. I do appreciate that I was able to complete my masters there, however I can only hope that it will help me reach my career goals, especially since it didn't help me while I was working there. As a suggestion, if you have enrollment advisers telling potential students the benefits of having a degree to increase income, the school should follow that line of thought with their own employees. Employees should be offered a pay increase if they receive their degree.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
no room for advancement, unfair compensation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Phoenix. Our community is ready to answer.

University of Phoenix Reviews by Location