University of Pittsburgh Employee Reviews

Interesting job, relaxed atmosphere, enjoyable
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oakland, PAMay 20, 2017
I have enjoyed working at the University of Pittsburgh. The vacation and benefits are excellent.

I have loved the people I have met and loved dealing with patients and arranging various activities for the patients and to support our
Center.

Specifically like grant processing.
Pros
Pleasant atmosphere, always busy but low pressure
Cons
No pension option
Supportive of Education
Research Technician CVR (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 19, 2017
Pitt is a wonderful place to learn, I was given many unique opportunities to learn and the positions I held were always interesting. Their benefits are second to none. The hardest part of the job is being on call with no reimbursement for it other than if you get called in the time will be counted as worked unless you are a salaried employee then it's no overtime pay, no provisions for going into work. The most enjoyable part was the structure. The pace was busy but not usually overwhelming making the days go by quickly but not frantically.
Pros
Benefits, lots of vacation days to start, tuition reimbursement credit
Cons
On call status, hard to use vacation days/sick days for lack of coverage
Antiquated services
Telecommunications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 13, 2017
Although I felt everyone at University of Pittsburgh were outstanding personalities, overall, I have to say the services (field of work) quality was outdated as is typical for the east coast. Although systems were constantly updated, the method for improving the quality of service technicians was NON-existent. They have zero desire to upgrade technical knowledge for employees through certification or other growth modifiers; Albeit, you can get a free education (which is a huge positive against some negatives).

Pittsburgh is an aged city in an outdated infrastructure

Really enjoyed exploring the area and local restaurants
Pros
Family education benefits!, Lateral employment, university education benefits, decent medical
Cons
No professional skill trade/technical growth potential, very aged city and infrastructure
Administrative
Records Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PAMay 12, 2017
Dealt with students/parents - thoroughly loved interacting with them. Unfortunately, the pay is low and advancement is nil. No communication between departments.
Excellent benefits, interdisciplinary collaboration
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 11, 2017
Excellent benefits, great city to live in (sports, arts, food, outdoors), usually good departmental support of faculty. Research collaborations across departments/disciplines.
Good learning experience
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 4, 2017
Paperwork and entering data was the bulk of the work.
I learned how an office for mental health treatment was operated.
The people were friendly.
The hardest part was watching the elderly suffer from depression.
The most enjoyable were working with the elderly.
Pros
Convenient location flexible schedule
Cons
Temporary
Excellent employer with great benefits
Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 4, 2017
The University is a great environment to be a part of. I have met life long friends and have worked with a diverse group of students and coworkers. The benefits and retirement package are wonderful.
Pros
education benefit
Cons
the pay is not the greatest
This is where careers go to die
Senior Technical Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 2, 2017
The University's technical groups are managed by individuals who have no technical background and acumen and make decisions based on political factors and not business factors. Run like a kingdom and not a business.
Pitt
Fiscal Administrator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 27, 2017
University of Pittsburgh has advantage of free tuition to employees.
Disadvantage is lower salary. Benefits were adequate, with heath care a plus. Good employer.
Very Knowledgable
Secretary II to Secretary III to Admin (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA 15261April 24, 2017
I enjoyed my career a lot. I learned a lot about many areas of the university during my thirteen year career - would work there again if given the opportunity.
Reporter for The Source (Former Employee) –  Bradford PAApril 22, 2017
This position was unpaid. I became a stronger writer and everyone was accommodating. I was able to learn more about APA. We published over six issues. I enjoyed working for The Source which is the student newspaper on campus.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Unpaid
Student Job
Lab Tech Consultant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 12, 2017
This job was very lax and accommodating. I was able to study and do well in class while maintaining this job. Pay was not great, but again it was okay for a student job.
Students are good, Faculty are too
Part-time Instructor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 6, 2017
The students are generally a good mix of good, with some harder-to-work-with students. The faculty are the same way, some are able to help while others aren't very easy to get along with. The staff are great.

The department provides TAs to help with grading, recitations, and labs, so the work load isn't too bad.
Fantastic
Building Manager (Former Employee) –  Bradford, PAApril 6, 2017
The Building Manager employment was a fantastic environment. The Senior Activities director acted as our boss and did an excellent job of helping every individual manager succeed. This fostered a community among all the managers that saw all of us going out of our normal job boundaries to assist and serve above the jobs' expectations.
Pros
An excellent way to network with new students and faculty
Cons
Weekly limits on hours (work study)
Working at University of Pittsburgh
Systems Administrator IV (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 5, 2017
Pros
- Good Salary
- Good Benefit
- Good leaning resources such as Lynda.com, Safari Book Online or Box.

Cons

I am a software developer in the department, which its main function is not relate to any software development at all. It kinds of hard to have a knowledgeable coworkers or good career mentors. I used to work in the software company. Then, we all have to learning and sharing our knowledge between us. This is totally difference.
Pros
Benefit, Health Insurance, Free Bus, Ton of resources.
Cons
No career development.
Great place to work in helping others as well as improving yourself
Head Assistant Wrestling Coach (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 5, 2017
Spent a lot of time recruiting, planning, budgeting, fund raising and coaching. Enthusiastic group of managers and peers alike, more likely to work withing their own segments than to collaborate on projects.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Pay could have been improved
Good student job
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 31, 2017
I work here along with going to my classes. This is a positive environment to work because everyone is interested in your success. I work alongside my professors, which has been an absolutely valuable experience.
Best job ever!
Academic Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 29, 2017
Work is meaningful. Professional development is evident. Leadership is progressive and innovative. The culture in the workplace is of growth. Learning is always at the forefront.
Pros
Forward thinking, innovation, open communication, diversity
Cons
public setting red tape
Library Assistant
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Frick Fine Arts LibraryMarch 23, 2017
Working in the library is relaxing and there's seldom any conflict with patrons or coworkers. My bosses are easy to talk to as well if there are any problems.
Great place to work with flexible hours
Student Affairs - Fitness Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 22, 2017
- I've been working for the University of Pittsburgh for three years now. I have enjoyed my stay with Campus Recreation to the fullest degree. Hours are flexible, management is understanding. Could not recommend it more.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Not demanding work
Cons
N/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Pittsburgh. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3