University of Pittsburgh Employee Reviews in United States

Administrative Professional
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 2, 2016
The Health and Physical Activity Department at the University of Pittsburgh is a wonderful place to begin a career. There are many opportunities, but I was involved in the creative development of the marketing and communication used for the recruitment of hundreds of study participants – this included the use of Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Publisher, and Mac Apps such as imovie and Swift Publisher.

I also designed recruitment, assessment and intervention materials. Played an integral role in the conduction of qualitative research involving focus groups to support a clinical trial funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Good workplace to apply practical skills in public health research studies
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 31, 2016
* Perform statistical procedures in analyzing cross-sectional association between vitamin D levels and cardio-renal complications from Pittsburgh Epidemiology of Diabetes Complications (EDC) Study
* Apply statistical methods including logistic regression analysis, linear regression analysis, multivariate analysis, categorical data analysis, nonparametric analysis, and effect modification analysis
* Collaborate with researchers from different fields in the development of manuscripts and abstracts
Productive workplace with a lot of office work.
Clerical Assistant- CSSD (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 2, 2016
My opinion of a typical day of work would be productive because you are always on the move. Someone on the floor always needs something done, or something always needs delivered. The people that I worked with were professional and were a pleasure to work with. The most enjoyable part of the job would be getting to know new people and being able to help people on the floor with whatever they needed done.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
n/a
Rewarding teaching and working with students
Teaching Assistant - Hebrew (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 28, 2016
I really enjoyed teaching at Pitt, I would have to prepare about 30 minutes everyday for an hour class but it was a pleasure to see the students gaining and starting to form sentences.

Working for the Professor was a special experience as she was patient, kind and very helpful to me and to the students.

I learned that I know how to teach and facilitate which empowered me to start giving classes on my own in the community
Pros
Environment, Access, my Supervisor
Cons
Compensation
great place to work
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA 15261May 24, 2016
Overall, a great place to work.

I learned all the time.
Coworkers were very nice.

-Ordering and Receiving for the Lab
-Lab Safety Contact
-Lab Radiation Safety Contact
-Working in a BSL 2+ environment
Typical State Worker
Technology Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mechnicsburg, PAJune 22, 2016
Technology Development Specialist is a BIG title for what the job really is. This job description is way too long and the requirements are way too large for the type of job that you will be performing.
a Technology Development Specialist basically answers phone calls every other minute and answers emails in between calls. There is nothing else to it. Do not think that you will be performing other interesting or challenging duties. If you are applying for the Mandated Reporter course support job, you will get hammered by phone calls all day long. Most calls are about the course not working properly which management is aware of, but won't fix.

The salary is average, but definitely not enough for the headache of the job. If you need money and like o talk to people all day long this is the job for you.
Pros
Retirement Benefits, Flexible Schedule
Cons
Bad Pay, Over Worked
Professional development and opportunity
Housekeeping Staff (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 27, 2016
A consistent strides to maximize the potential of their employee to diversify the growth and professional atmosphere of the University's mission.
Pros
Enhancement of career development
Cons
Not given the opportunity to continue experience past contract.
A dynamic and energetic research environment
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USAFebruary 20, 2016
No two days were ever the same, and everyday posed interesting challenges that were an exciting part of the work. This is both the hardest, and the most enjoyable part of scientific research.
Time management and team work were the biggest takeaways from this experience, because as researchers, we depend on our lab mates for advice on technical matters, and occasionally help with difficult tasks.
The importance of being in a team is reinforced during every discussion session when lab members bring their latest findings to the table, and a productive discussion then ensues on their significance and potential paths to progress.
Pros
Thrill of scientific discovery
Cons
Punishing hours
Excellent University
Visiting Professor (Current Employee) –  BCHS, Public Health, University of PittsburghMarch 20, 2016
I value freedom to work at the University of Pittsburgh in a context of colleagues with high calibre research output. I start my day as early as possible and work till late evening. Most of the time I am engaged in research, analysis and writing, which are enjoyable.
Pros
within walking distance
Cons
not a permanent job
Library Student Worker. Great job for any student
University Of Pittsburgh Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 24, 2016
Great boss, works around your school schedule, and very nice to have extra cash while in school. The University of Pittsburgh is a great place attend and highly recommend receiving a student worker position if the opportunity presents itself.
Pros
Flexible, nice, studying
Cons
limit of 20 hours a week
Tutor job
Computer Science Tutor/Assistantship (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAApril 23, 2016
It was just free tutor services that held by school and reviewed by head of computer science department. I help other students with basic programming solution and walk them through some programming issues when they don't really understand.
Great for part time wokr as a student
Student Worker- OT Department (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 17, 2016
Great for part time work as a student. I was able to work around my class schedule. Working with the Ph.D student I was able to learn a lot about her experiences as a therapist.
Pros
Able to work around school schedule.
Cons
The English Department is lower than other deparment budgeted, so the work load is high
Teaching Assistantship - Seminar in Composition (Former Employee) –  4200 Fifth Ave., Pgh, PA 15260January 24, 2016
An inspirational teaching and student personal and academic growth environment that is fostered by a devoted teaching, administrative, and support staff.
Pros
Excellent support for fellowship instructorships.
Cons
Many hours beyond estimated time to teach and grade papers.
Very impressive department and culture of learning
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 6, 2016
Pitt was a great experience for me to start my career and end my education. I was able to immerse myself in a college department all while receiving my master's degree. It challenged me to improve on a daily basis and gave me the opportunity to show what type of professional I can be in this field.
Great learning insitution
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 4, 2016
Being a university there was an array of learning with the integration of academic and clinical knowledge. The use of evidence based medicine and its importance in daily practice was emphasized. Research work is done immensely and that was a great exposure on clinical trails and management related to it.
Great student worker opportunity
Student Associate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 6, 2016
Interesting to work for your University. Great work environment with amazing people. Very close proximity to the University, coordination with professors as well as University staff.
Very intellectually stimulating
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 18, 2016
A very interesting place to work where I was constantly learning new things. I increased my computer skills and my ability to take minutes.
Pros
Stimulating
Cons
Not enough training.
Loved working in a department that gave back to the community.
Community Activities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 26, 2016
Very professional and the co-workers were great people to interact with. A typical day at work would be very productive and the expression of team work was outstanding. We work in various capacities in Community and Governmental Relations, but everyone was already to give the other a helping hand during times of emergencies to accomplish a goal. Hardest part was coordinating your time for some evening assignments, i.e. volunteer work at the Greater Pittsburgh Food Bank in Duquesne. The most enjoyable part of my was giving service to the community and helping others in need.

Members of our staff were also encouraged to continue their education at the University. It is a place where you are motivated to do your best and to develop ways to improve on giving service to the community.
Pros
Educational benefits
Cons
Great opportunity for graduate students
Lead Investigator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 27, 2016
Having been at the University of Pittsburgh for a number of years I have always been treated fairly by the University and the compensation has always been more than fair for the work requirements.
productive and fun workplace
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 13, 2016
The work was rather slow due to it depending on how often candidates passed away. However due to the people within the university, it was able to stay interesting and fun.

4.3