University of Pittsburgh

University of Pittsburgh Employer Reviews

I presently work here and still enjoy it
Social Work Training Specialist (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 9, 2014
Pros: stability
Cons: healthcare coverage
It's a good learning environment. Very supportive staff. I'v e been in this department for six years. The benefits of working for University are good
A great hands on teaching and learning experience
Professor's Assistant (Former Employee), Johnstown, PADecember 8, 2014
Pros: free coffee and amenities
Cons: schedule
Working with the professor was a great experience in education, which I then used while teaching English as a second language in Thailand.

The difficulties were preparing notes for the study sessions and grading papers.

I enjoyed the overall interactive and teaching experience.
Great work environment.
Intern (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 3, 2014
It was nice working on a college campus. The environment and people were very inspiring and I enjoyed working there.
Supervisor of CHF/Pulmonary Hypertension Group (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 2, 2014
I had never done research prior to this job...what an experience. I have had some great teachers and amazing patients. The research department has been in a revamping process for the last few years. Once all the changes are made it should be a fluid process but in the meantime the changing environment can be difficult at times. I work with an amazing – more... group of physicians, nurses, and administrative assistants. – less
learning how to read proposals
Data Specialist (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 18, 2014
Pros: meeting peopl
Cons: learning
inputting information into the system and putting awards into the system. reading and putting all the information into the system and filing them
Exciting
Technology Associate (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 6, 2014
The job is very exciting, and a motivating factor to learn more. I meet new challenges everyday and this demands constant update of knowledge and technology skills.
Stable enviroment
Systems Analyst III (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 5, 2014
Pros: free eaducation for children and stability.
Cons: not technology driven
Stable environment but becomes stagnant and out of touch compared to the corporate environment.
Great stepping stone
Employee Relations Manager (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 4, 2014
Pros: autonomy
Cons: inflexible work hours
At Pitt, I was afforded the opportunity to grow as a professional. I was granted autonomy to make decisions and entrusted with sensitive information.
Good entry level research position
Senior Analyst (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAOctober 9, 2014
Very much enjoyed the people at the University. Very friendly coworkers. Good step into a research position after finishing my MPH.
Fast paced, active, enjoyable
Administrative Assistant / Travel Coordinator (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAOctober 7, 2014
Pros: adversity, problem solving, multi tasking, computer skills, ability to deal with alll people.
Cons: could not advance within office
Everyday was different depending on the day and time of the year. During football season August - December the days were very hectic. Typing, copying, filing for the coaching staff. Also, organizing information to be given to NFL Pro Scouts that would come in to watch both film tapes and practice. During recruiting period I was on call 24/7 to book – more... all travel arrangements (air, car, hotel) for coaching staff along with doing all the expense reports. Assisted with organizing and working camps for youth, junior and senior high school students. Worked with Copy Cat in all duplicating requirements. Scheduled and paid officials that worked both spring and fall practices.

Different times of the year I was responsible for organizing and overseeing three main events in the football office. Pro Day, Senior Day and a breakfast that was held for active players, their families, signees and their families.

Worked hard for management, I had such loyalty and dedication.
Never turned anything down that I was asked by management.

With working for so many coaches and given all their work at about the same time, learned how to prioritize the importance of each job I was given. Knowing all had to be done at the same time for their player meetings

Also, how to make everyone feel important, from the guard at the gate, NFL Head Coaches, NFL Scouts, Parents, Media, staff, players and anyone else that walked through our doors.

I can't say there was a hard part of the day.

The most enjoyable was at the end of the day I could leave knowing I did a good job. – less
Old School R01 academic institution, not well compensated
associate professor, non tenured (Former Employee), Oakland, City of PittsburghOctober 6, 2014
Pros: benefits, working with students
Pitt is a stable place to work, and the benefits are decent. Tenure track professors are well-treated and reasonably well-compensated.

However, it is becoming more and more difficult every year to become a tenured professor, and many instructors, adjuncts, and non-tenure track hires do the bulk of the work in a department. Frequently, the tenured professors – more... will have awesome ideas for improving programs and processes, however they have no intention of contributing to the work that will make these improvements happen.

This contributes to general disgruntlement among the harder-working academes, who teach, advise, do research, write papers, serve on committees, supervise students, travel to conferences, and generally run the place.

Oh, and by the way - after you earn that PhD and get a job here, you'll be making your own copies, and walking your own forms over to the library. The secretaries don't work for you, they work for the tenured and administrative professors. – less
Productive and Instructive
Buy-side Analyst (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 30, 2014
Pros: teamwork, bloomberg, mentoring
Cons: insufficient fund
I served as an buy-side analyst for small and mid-cap private equity with other fourteen analysts at Pitt managing several million dollar University Fund in senior year. Our main task was to be an active investor and tried to disclose positive alpha among a variety of private stocks. I cooperated with another teammate concentrating on industrials. The – more... hardest part for stock pitch was to get access to all public information that was useful to valuate the company so as to integrate them to come up with future expectation but it was also the most enjoyable part among the valuation process since that required me to be versatile professionals among a variety of related fields such as corporate finance, international trading, and strategic management and a comprehensive understanding of entire economics, industry and specific company as well. Also, I was in the valuation team where mentor other peers accelerating and optimizing valuation process and achieve its automation via MATLAB and VBA. In the meantime, I had to use Bloomberg to manage our stock portfolio and also finished most of my valuation and stock selection and thus I along with other four teammate presented our annual portfolio report to the department of finance as well as dean. Thus, generally speaking this one-year practicum is of huge value. – less
Do not work as a Researcher more than a year.
Research Specialist Three (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 27, 2014
Poor pay, grant based jobs, and no advancement. Get your experience and move on in a year or two.
Productive place
Research Project Manager (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 23, 2014
Worked related to Translational medicine for Infectious Diseases. Enjoyed the academic enviroment. I had a very productive period developing new assays. Some politics but nothing out of the normal.
Perfect University for PostDoctoral training
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 23, 2014
University provide all necessary benefits and resources for effective work and for balanced job work / life balance
Very friendly co-wokers
great sense of community and shared ideas
Writing Instructor (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 16, 2014
Pros: creativity encouraged
Open-minded colleagues, humor, great sense of community. I learned how to engage students who were not initially passionate about writing.
Tough position, but rewarding experience
Commercialization Due Diligence Intern (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 15, 2014
MBA intern for coulter is not easy, but you learn more than you would ever imagine. Pay is ok.
A great place for research
Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 15, 2014
Researchers and academics are devoted to identifying areas for public health improvement.
Great family owned business.
Project Manager (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 14, 2014
This owner gave me my 1st job and taught me how to work hard. Truly a blessing.
Enriching research experience
Research Intern, Swanson School of Engineering (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 8, 2014
I was employed by the university to conduct an original research project, studying the environmental impact of the construction industry. I mainly worked alone, but was advised by two professors, and corresponded with members from the actual team from the construction project that was studied.

1 2 3 4 5