University of Pittsburgh Employee Reviews

I was a student
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 12, 2017
Since I was a student volunteer, I did not actually have a "paid position", but the University was my home. I would not trade this experience for anything.
It
IT Consultant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 10, 2017
I love working at the University, I supported 65 end users, through the week I created about 30-45 tickets. includes my weekly and monthly reports, which I turn in to my managers. the most enjoyable part of my job is working with the end users. The hardest part of my job is running between four buildings, because my end users are spread-out throughout campus.
Employed as offsite clinical instructor
Speech-Language Pathologist (casual) (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 6, 2017
Working as an offsite clinical instructor is a positive learning experience. Expectations clearly defined, paperwork minimal. Mentorship available if requested.
Good work place
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 27, 2017
really enjoy the people i work with and the environment. They really are family oriented and will do anything to help in any way to see that you and your family are taking care of.
Administrator III (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 25, 2017
I loved working at the University of Pittsburgh. Very family friendly. The diversity in work force and great benefits. Plenty of opportunities for advancement. Great outside activities for families to enjoy.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Parking cost
Internship
Intern, Life Skills Department (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 25, 2017
This was an internship in the life skills department. Felt like i was helping others get moving with their lives while i was finishing school. All and all a good experience.
the most unprofessional workplace
Patient Financial Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 21, 2017
medical benefits could be better, costly for this companies resources, not as many benefits as expected but bus pass for transportation was excellent.
Company does not protect it's workers. Anyone can accuse or blame for something, and they will turn their backs on you. They even turn the tables on you and get away with slandering your integrity. You cannot give any opinion or input about issues you have or you may be written up to be fired, I wouldn't want to work for a company where someone can walk in and kill you and the company blames you and does not back it's employee but rather so hard up to make a buck know matter how bad their employees are treated, they are snakes, UNGODLY practices are done to it's employees. Instead of being honest and saying you wont be the best fit for any honest reason they take the back door and give you a record to follow your career path with them so others can possibly harass you in the same manner as they did throughout their company if you're desperate enough to still work for them in another department. UNPROFESSIONAL TRAINING is what you receive and you mine as well be in a sweat shop as far as what the company expects of you when you are not holding a Major title. You are expecting to fill 2-3 positions having one Title and many many many task until you potential burn out. Doesn't care about employees well being to create a positive work place.
Most people who come to be served are really in need of good customer service and meeting all kinds of people was the best aspect of this job. Contacts too were great that can
  more... hopefully help you find something better  less
Pros
bus passes
Cons
Ruthless unfair labor practices
Friendly and Fun Staff
Help Desk Associate Work Study (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PASeptember 9, 2017
We were responsible for problem identification and resolution for faculty, staff, and students of the campus. A typical day consisted of a few hardware or software setups, virus removal, malware removal, and resolving issues over the phone. The management team was fantastic and made the day enjoyable.
Pros
Excellent Staff, Diverse Responsibilities
Cons
Lower Pay
Wonderful people and environment.
Independent Researcher (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 5, 2017
Professors that only want the best for their students. They are always willing to go the extra mile for you. Opportunities are bountiful, do not be afraid to ask. You will be pushed, push back (in a good way)
Great place
Research Associate IV (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 5, 2017
University was a great place to work as I lived in Oakland - compensation was lacking at the time but there was potential and interesting work to keep you occupied.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Lacked career advancement
Great benefits but low salary
Editorial and Grant Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 2, 2017
Pitt has great benefits but low salaries. A lot of people are making just above the poverty line. This is the reason for most turnover. Great situation if you want to get another degree.
regular staff meetings & open communication
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 31, 2017
regular staff meetings with open communication - great mentoring, sharing, resources, easy getting around in a city campus, not much turnaround, long term goals, and challenges, excellent benefits and discounts in the city
Pros
university resources
Cons
heavy summer schedule
Great learning support team
Supplemental Instruction Supervisor/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 28, 2017
The team providing learning support across the colleges was dynamic and aided many students. Opportunity to work with other departments provided an enriching work experience.
Pros
facilitated successful academic outcomes
Cons
underlying concern for continued funding
Excellent place for a research scientist
Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 24, 2017
Enjoyed learning new science every day.
Collaborated with other universities on large scale projects.
Was essentially paid to earn my Ph.D.
Long hours were only due to self motivation.
Be a team helper
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  3990 fifth aveAugust 21, 2017
Take pride in your work.to above and beyond duties.show up everyday unless there's an emergency with family.be professional on the job,polite, friendly,virtuous.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Shortbreaks
Very flexible hours and extremely supportive staff
Tutor for Pitt Athletics Department (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 18, 2017
Tutoring is a great way to improve your communication and interpersonal skills as well as gain a better understanding of your own course material, because you have to understand it to effectively teach it.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 18, 2017
Depends on the professors that you work with. I would recommend finding one in your program so you can build up a rapport with your professor. I enjoyed getting to know my professor better.
Pros
Rapport building, experience
Overall experience is good!
Student Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 17, 2017
Good place to work and study, people are very helpful. Opportunities are wide open and helps to sharpen your skills and this makes the place a peaceful environment.
Fun Place to work
Referee (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 8, 2017
The intramural sports department is a great place to work. If you are looking for some extra cash as a student, this is the perfect fit. You are able to work for a couple hours a couple days a week and make some extra money while still in school
Generic Bleak office environment without any friendly faces
Data Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 2, 2017
I worked here for a couple of months and came to know absolutely know one. You work in a stifling, office environment with harsh white light and no airflow. Those working around you are unfriendly and too busy with their own lives to even look up at you when you walk by.

In my position there was no room for growth, and my supervisor was very rude and incredibly inflexible. Generic corporate rules tie you down and give you zero flexibility.

I would not recommend to anyone.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
not flexible, bad environment, rude people