University of Pittsburgh

University of Pittsburgh Employee Reviews

The tension is too high.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 4, 2015
Pros: benefits, time off
Cons: parking expense, management
*Busy from start to finish. Somedays are more busy than others, where there is no time for a lunch break.
*I learned word processing, how to be a hard worker, how to multitask.
*Management is poor. There is very little time spent on that. If there's a problem, they ignore it or they deal with one side of the problem only.
*I love my coworkers, aside from a couple.
*The hardest part for me is coming here everyday and feeling like nobody has my back. Feeling stressed and all alone. Knowing that my boss has no time for me and doesn't feel it necessary to even find time.
*I have enjoyed getting to meet so many people in the 33 years I've spent here at the Univ. of Pittsburgh. Most are gone but I still keep in touch with several. Some are still here and I truly cherish their friendship and know that I will have them in my life forever.
If you Love animals
Veterinary Technician/Research Specialist II (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 26, 2015
Daily monitoring and caring for animals
Speaking with a variety of doctors and technicians
Being apart of published papers and getting acknowledgment for your accomplishments
Everyone at work is nice and extremely helpful
Hardest part of the job- Keep in your mind everything you do is to save a life and making a huge impact in the world of research
I learned a lot from my internship
Resident Assistant (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 23, 2015
Working here vastly expanded my knowledge of working in a research lab. The tasks were awesome and it was a fun environment.
Need hard working and learning quickly
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 10, 2015
* Read some literatures and help professor do some projects

*Have learned a lot in data mining and data analysis

*My co-workers were very nice and good team worker

*The most hardest part of the job was to learn some new algorithms

*The most enjoyablet part of the job was to solve problems using creative methods designed by myself
This is the school I am in.
Research Associate (Current Employee), PittsburghFebruary 8, 2015
I am currently studying in University of Pittsburgh to pursuit my PhD. I am also a research associate here. This is not a typical job here. I don't have any review about it.
great place to work for 24 years
Data Control Specialist III (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 6, 2015
Has been a great place to work for over 24 years, only reason for leaving is due to the lack of funding to continue the center
Have worked with a great bunch of people and will miss them
Average Job, Terrible Politics
Systems Engineer III (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: benefits, supportive coworkers
Cons: politics of management
It's your typical sysadmin job with a bunch of unique systems to maintain. It's a challenge in itself until the management politics starts rolling in and most things turn into finger pointing even on relatively small issues.

The majority of your coworkers are knowledgeable and friendly and there's a wide range of personalities so no one is without allies.

Benefits are second to none. Fairly cheap zero deductible insurance, almost free tuition for you and your direct family, significant IRA (403a) matching.
State-of-the-art facility that housed servers and network equipment that ensured stable and reliable services for University enterprise systems.
Network Operations Center / Senior NOC Monitor (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 5, 2015
Great place to work and learn. • Provided network monitoring and troubleshooting, desktop support, application support, consulting services, planning, and implementation of centralized and distributed application systems.
Fun work place
Weight Room Attendant (Former Employee), Titusville PAFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: can do homework, meet new people
Cons: pay rate
Can do homework, only a few hours a week, very flexible with schedule, if you had conflict they helped you find someone to cover your shift. Meet new people
University wide restructuring coupled with reduced staff makes for a long work day
DEPARTMENT ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee), Pittsburgh CampusJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: tuition remission
Cons: low wages
Limited room for growth although offers many training sessions on policy and procedures.

Although offers tuition remission, taking courses are nearly impossible throughout the week that fit work schedule.
quality work, opportunities to gain experience and responsibilities
Nurse Coordinator (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 28, 2015
Such a good group of co-workers who had a team approach. High standards to do quality research.
Excellent Environment to work
Graduate Student Assistant (Current Employee), PittsburghJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: good learning environment
Cons: had to manage studies along with the work
Got the opportunity to learn and use my knowledge to the fullest. Good support from the management helped me groom along with the company.
The University provides a generous benefits package.
Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: vacation and holiday accruals
The University offers tuition reimbursement and myriad job opportunities.
Great opportunity to develop professional as well as personal self.
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: great resources
Cons: pay scale may not be the best
It helps you grow as a whole with tremendous help in all aspects. The resources available are great.
Awesome Experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Bradford, PAJanuary 6, 2015
Working at the University of Pittsburgh was not only a great working experience, but also a learning experience that definitely helped shape my work ethic and broaden my goals. I was a teaching assistant for the Broadcast Communication department. This lead to accompanying many of the undergraduate students to their shoots on set as well as assisting them in the post-production process of completing their projects. It was an experience that taught me how important education is for those that will come after us in this particular field. Everything must be precise and accurate in order for projects and overall work to be proficient and acceptable upon completion. With the help of very motivated students, my job was very easy to carry out even in the toughest times because everyone was focused on completing our common goal of providing a story or entertainment segment for the rest of the student body.
Fast paced workplace
Animal Technician (Current Employee), Oakland, PAJanuary 6, 2015
A typical day at work started around 7:45, I would gather my supplies, bring them to my room and begin changes cages (feeding, writing health reports, so on & so fourth..) Occasionally I would have to leave my room to get more supplies or sterilize some for others. My day would end around 3:50 unless my minimum of 200 cages were not changed.

Working here I have learned how to work at a very fast and demanding pace. Also, since my position requires depending on others, I learned how to manage my time if I needed to help other technicians or cage washers in order to finish my work by 4:00.

Co-workers were very friendly, even while under stress we all worked well together.

The hardest part of the job was the endless demand of supplies, and lack of staff to help run the facility.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with different types of people.
Great place
Field Instructor (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 5, 2015
Great place, I love working with the MSW interns. And the benefits are awesome.
Productive and fun workplace
Adjunct Clinical Instructor of Family Medicine (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 31, 2014
Seeing patients in/out patients.
Teaching medical students and residents.
Great Place to work
Research Specialist IV/Analytical Chemist (Former Employee), Oakland campus, Pittsburgh, PADecember 29, 2014
I found the work interesting and challenging. There is a collegial atmosphere. Colleagues help each other and could learn from each other. The University offers good benefits, healthcare, dental and vision plans, 401K plans, sick and vacation days.
Fun-filled collegiate environment with creative instructional learning
Student Academic Counselor (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 15, 2014
Pros: great leadership
Cons: n/a
As a Student Academic Counselor, I learned the study habits for successful academic performance. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing at-risk students improve their grades and avoid suspension. My director was approachable and knowledgeable. The hardest part of my job was having to leave upon graduating.

University of Pittsburgh Salaries