University of Pittsburgh Employee Reviews

Educational Experience Working for Pitt
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 23, 2016
Simply worked as a grader/teaching assistant, so I can't say much about the company. It was nice to work closely with a professor and have the opportunity to work through the school rather than working part-time somewhere local.
good
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 28, 2016
overall helping students play, read, write, and just maintain order helped me mature in a way I can not describe. It made me realize the importance of children and education.
It was a good place to work
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 14, 2016
The people work good to work with. We had a lot of comradery and we worked well together. The work was hard but I was able to perform my duties.
A dynamic and energetic research environment
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USAFebruary 20, 2016
No two days were ever the same, and everyday posed interesting challenges that were an exciting part of the work. This is both the hardest, and the most enjoyable part of scientific research.
Time management and team work were the biggest takeaways from this experience, because as researchers, we depend on our lab mates for advice on technical matters, and occasionally help with difficult tasks.
The importance of being in a team is reinforced during every discussion session when lab members bring their latest findings to the table, and a productive discussion then ensues on their significance and potential paths to progress.
Pros
Thrill of scientific discovery
Cons
Punishing hours
Amazing friendly environment, learnt a lot from highly distinguished professors and clinicians
Teaching Assistant and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 25, 2016
Great place to work in. Lots of opportunities available to build bright future.
Stress free environment, its temple of knowledge and I have learnt a lot from University of Pittsburgh.
Great benefits...subpar pay
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 18, 2012
Pitt is a very varied place to work. In my department, office politics come into play and certain employees are favored over others but generally the director is fair. As a researcher, the pay is far below industry standards but the benefits are excellent- most departments are closed between Christmas and New Year's so the free winter break is nice- no need to use your PTO. It's a great place to get experience but job advancement opportunities are slim in this area so for many it's best to work for a few years and just move on. Most supervisors are pretty flexible with work-life balance as long as you don't take advantage of it.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
low salary
Excellent staff
Lab Instructor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 22, 2016
Great staff and students. Well coordinated and accessible. Pay is acceptable for the most part. Many resources available to staff. Good benefits for employees.
Friendly workplace
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 21, 2015
A student focused environment with many resources at their disposal. The staff members of the university are friendly and are usually helpful, but some processes could be simplified to speed them up and minimize mistakes, but understandably, sometimes this protects students and employees.
The university has learned how to do a lot with with shrinking funds from the state in recent years, but if it is possible to give staff a raise, they get a modest one.
The city of Pittsburgh greatly benefits from the presence of the University of Pittsburgh.
Pros
Generous benefits package
Cons
Low staff salaries and staff must report even in dangerous weather
Dead End, Low Pay, Flexible hours
Assistant Coach (Current Employee) –  Oakland, PANovember 1, 2013
My typical day starts early in the morning and ends in the late afternoon. I've learned that even if you work harder than the rest of your peers, take the time to do things the right way, and try to develop yourself professionally the University does not value what you do. The University of Pittsburgh has a massive problem with employee retention in my department because they refuse to pay people what they are worth. You can work here for your whole career but don't expect to make anything more than what your starting salary is.
Pros
Team Issued Gear
Cons
Total lack of professional development opportunities, Poor Management on any level.
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 29, 2016
Friendly, students are great, conventional location for me, free transportation on public bus, closed door office space, walkable campus, able to use university facilities like pool and workout equipment.
Pros
Healthcare coverage
Cons
Organization
Loved working in a department that gave back to the community.
Community Activities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 26, 2016
Very professional and the co-workers were great people to interact with. A typical day at work would be very productive and the expression of team work was outstanding. We work in various capacities in Community and Governmental Relations, but everyone was already to give the other a helping hand during times of emergencies to accomplish a goal. Hardest part was coordinating your time for some evening assignments, i.e. volunteer work at the Greater Pittsburgh Food Bank in Duquesne. The most enjoyable part of my was giving service to the community and helping others in need.

Members of our staff were also encouraged to continue their education at the University. It is a place where you are motivated to do your best and to develop ways to improve on giving service to the community.
Pros
Educational benefits
Cons
Good workplace to apply practical skills in public health research studies
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 31, 2016
* Perform statistical procedures in analyzing cross-sectional association between vitamin D levels and cardio-renal complications from Pittsburgh Epidemiology of Diabetes Complications (EDC) Study
* Apply statistical methods including logistic regression analysis, linear regression analysis, multivariate analysis, categorical data analysis, nonparametric analysis, and effect modification analysis
* Collaborate with researchers from different fields in the development of manuscripts and abstracts
Flexible Hours with an Emphasis on Independence
Biological Research Assistant IV (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 6, 2015
Challenging Environment that allows you to grow as an independent scientist. The benefit package was second to none and the flexible hours allowed for balance of home and work life. Working under grants is always risky and created an unstable work environment. The pros of constantly being challenged and opportunity to collaborate with fellow scientists defiantly outweighed the cons.
Pros
Benefits, flexible hours
Cons
Working under grants
Productive and fun
Assistant Swim Coach (Former Employee) –  Bradford, PASeptember 13, 2016
Working at The University of Pittsburgh at Bradford was a great experience. The atmosphere there had a light fun mood to it and my co-workers were like a second family to me.
run. run far far away...
business development (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 6, 2016
I just want to echo the frustration of my fellow colleagues. This is great university with an amazing healthcare plan and a terrible terrible terrible work culture. Most of the blame falls on an incompetent HR department.
Benefits
Cons
Work culture
Special Events Intern
SPECIAL EVENTS INTERN (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 3, 2016
This was a great experience to work in Higher Education at the Swanson School of Engineering as the Special Events Intern. The internship provided so much experience that I was able to apply once I graduated and began working in corporate america.
Average Job, Terrible Politics
Systems Engineer III (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 5, 2015
It's your typical sysadmin job with a bunch of unique systems to maintain. It's a challenge in itself until the management politics starts rolling in and most things turn into finger pointing even on relatively small issues.

The majority of your coworkers are knowledgeable and friendly and there's a wide range of personalities so no one is without allies.

Benefits are second to none. Fairly cheap zero deductible insurance, almost free tuition for you and your direct family, significant IRA (403a) matching.
Pros
Benefits, supportive coworkers
Cons
Politics of management
Excellent workplace for students and professionals
Fitness Staff Attendant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 21, 2016
Excellent workplace for students, low stress environment, and potential for personal growth. I learned to relate to consumers and provide safe atmosphere for personal growth.
Pros
Can study while working
Cons
Gets too cold
Physical Therapy School
Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 3, 2016
Number one rated Doctorate of Physical Therapy program in the country. Our school had a heavy focus on manual therapy techniques for the direct access provider.
Exellent benefits, job security and work/life balance
Research (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 13, 2015
Provided the opportunity to work with the brightest most influential key opinion leaders in my field. Retirement and tuition benefits, as with most universities, cannot be beat. However, if you are in need of a competitive salary, career advancement and faster pace you will likely need to move elsewhere.
Pros
Job security, benefits, colleagues
Cons
Career advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Pittsburgh. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3