University of Pittsburgh Employee Reviews in United States

Nice place for study
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 18, 2016
Good environment to work and study. Nice medical care for students and very good benefits. Hard to find parking though. Nice public transportation
Library Student Worker. Great job for any student
University Of Pittsburgh Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 24, 2016
Great boss, works around your school schedule, and very nice to have extra cash while in school. The University of Pittsburgh is a great place attend and highly recommend receiving a student worker position if the opportunity presents itself.
Pros
Flexible, nice, studying
Cons
limit of 20 hours a week
A dynamic and energetic research environment
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USAFebruary 20, 2016
No two days were ever the same, and everyday posed interesting challenges that were an exciting part of the work. This is both the hardest, and the most enjoyable part of scientific research.
Time management and team work were the biggest takeaways from this experience, because as researchers, we depend on our lab mates for advice on technical matters, and occasionally help with difficult tasks.
The importance of being in a team is reinforced during every discussion session when lab members bring their latest findings to the table, and a productive discussion then ensues on their significance and potential paths to progress.
Pros
Thrill of scientific discovery
Cons
Punishing hours
Learning and operating in Higher Education
Johnstown Office of Academic Affairs (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAFebruary 16, 2016
Working with the Vice President of Academic Affairs was a wonderful experience. From this experience I decided that I with to stay in Higher Education and assist college students on their journey to success.
Flexible Student work
Systems Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 8, 2016
You learn a lot about how an IT department works at a university scale. Management can be tough sometimes, but they are always flexible with work, life, and school. It's hard to move up or lateral in this department
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
shortterm
The University of Pittsburgh is a good place to work.
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA 15261February 8, 2016
The hours and salary of different types of jobs can vary, but overall, it is a good place to work.

It is also great to be able to be in a job that allows for continued learning experiences.

The University of Pittsburgh is a good place to work.
Very impressive department and culture of learning
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 6, 2016
Pitt was a great experience for me to start my career and end my education. I was able to immerse myself in a college department all while receiving my master's degree. It challenged me to improve on a daily basis and gave me the opportunity to show what type of professional I can be in this field.
Productive place
Database Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 5, 2016
I learned many things from my job. I worked with Professor and other students to manage the database. People I work with were very easy-going.
Great learning insitution
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 4, 2016
Being a university there was an array of learning with the integration of academic and clinical knowledge. The use of evidence based medicine and its importance in daily practice was emphasized. Research work is done immensely and that was a great exposure on clinical trails and management related to it.
Loved working in a department that gave back to the community.
Community Activities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 26, 2016
Very professional and the co-workers were great people to interact with. A typical day at work would be very productive and the expression of team work was outstanding. We work in various capacities in Community and Governmental Relations, but everyone was already to give the other a helping hand during times of emergencies to accomplish a goal. Hardest part was coordinating your time for some evening assignments, i.e. volunteer work at the Greater Pittsburgh Food Bank in Duquesne. The most enjoyable part of my was giving service to the community and helping others in need.

Members of our staff were also encouraged to continue their education at the University. It is a place where you are motivated to do your best and to develop ways to improve on giving service to the community.
Pros
Educational benefits
Cons
The English Department is lower than other deparment budgeted, so the work load is high
Teaching Assistantship - Seminar in Composition (Former Employee) –  4200 Fifth Ave., Pgh, PA 15260January 24, 2016
An inspirational teaching and student personal and academic growth environment that is fostered by a devoted teaching, administrative, and support staff.
Pros
Excellent support for fellowship instructorships.
Cons
Many hours beyond estimated time to teach and grade papers.
Great place to work right out of school.
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 9, 2016
Great opportunity to work right out of college. However it seems that most people who work here either transfer to a different department or leave the university all together.
Pros
A lot of holiday time due to working for an university
Cons
A lot of hoops to jump through to try to get things done.
University of Pittsburgh
Video Director (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 9, 2016
Great place to work great benfits, beautiful campus, great people would not have left if I wasn't chasing my dream to be in the National Football League.
Pros
CIty
Cons
run. run far far away...
business development (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 6, 2016
I just want to echo the frustration of my fellow colleagues. This is great university with an amazing healthcare plan and a terrible terrible terrible work culture. Most of the blame falls on an incompetent HR department.
Benefits
Cons
Work culture
Great benefits package and schedule flexibility
Research Specialist V/ Laboratory Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 3, 2015
I have had the privilege of working at the University of Pittsburgh for nearly 25 years. While working full-time as a lab manager, I was able to earn my M.S. in Human Genetics. Due to the funding climate, that I have decided to expand my horizons.
Fun and productive work experience
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 13, 2015
Awesome work place that constantly probed at your knowledge of professional grade instruments and patience of new chemistry students. The diversity of students and their knowledge maintains your passion for chemistry. And like every job should, it provides a great constant learning experience and fun!
Pros
Great learning environment
Cons
N/A
I was a student worker.
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 12, 2015
The hardest part of the job was dealing with old newspaper that was extremely fragile as well as the numerous paper cuts on my hands. The most enjoyable part of my job was learning about the east coast and the Pittsburgh area, learning how to preserve documents, getting to read old documents and organizing documents.My supervisor and boss were extremely nice and helpful, as was everyone else I worked with.
Fun place
Part-Time Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 11, 2015
I loved working with the students achieve academic goals which they didn't think they could achieve without help. It was a rewarding position.
Helping students with fitness goals and needs
Fitness Center Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Greensburg, PANovember 10, 2015
I have been working here for all 4 years as a college students. I have learned many skills but I think the most important is communication skills. I have learned to talk to people in a positive way in order for them to fulfill fitness goals.
Pros
Work Study
Cons
not enough hours
Flexible Hours with an Emphasis on Independence
Biological Research Assistant IV (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 6, 2015
Challenging Environment that allows you to grow as an independent scientist. The benefit package was second to none and the flexible hours allowed for balance of home and work life. Working under grants is always risky and created an unstable work environment. The pros of constantly being challenged and opportunity to collaborate with fellow scientists defiantly outweighed the cons.
Pros
Benefits, flexible hours
Cons
Working under grants

4.3