University of Pittsburgh Employee Reviews

Loved it!
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 8, 2016
Best opportunity that I've had in terms of my career. I enjoyed every moment and I'm still utilizing the skills gained. Loved it!
Productive workplace with a lot of office work.
Clerical Assistant- CSSD (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 2, 2016
My opinion of a typical day of work would be productive because you are always on the move. Someone on the floor always needs something done, or something always needs delivered. The people that I worked with were professional and were a pleasure to work with. The most enjoyable part of the job would be getting to know new people and being able to help people on the floor with whatever they needed done.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
n/a
Rewarding teaching and working with students
Teaching Assistant - Hebrew (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 28, 2016
I really enjoyed teaching at Pitt, I would have to prepare about 30 minutes everyday for an hour class but it was a pleasure to see the students gaining and starting to form sentences.

Working for the Professor was a special experience as she was patient, kind and very helpful to me and to the students.

I learned that I know how to teach and facilitate which empowered me to start giving classes on my own in the community
Pros
Environment, Access, my Supervisor
Cons
Compensation
Tutor job
Computer Science Tutor/Assistantship (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAApril 23, 2016
It was just free tutor services that held by school and reviewed by head of computer science department. I help other students with basic programming solution and walk them through some programming issues when they don't really understand.
PhD Student
Graduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 22, 2016
Your experience here as a graduate student will be based largely on which school and department you work under. Health insurance benefits are FANTASTIC.
Pros
Great health care.
Cons
grad school has many.
Great opportunity for graduate students
Lead Investigator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 27, 2016
Having been at the University of Pittsburgh for a number of years I have always been treated fairly by the University and the compensation has always been more than fair for the work requirements.
Excellent University
Visiting Professor (Current Employee) –  BCHS, Public Health, University of PittsburghMarch 20, 2016
I value freedom to work at the University of Pittsburgh in a context of colleagues with high calibre research output. I start my day as early as possible and work till late evening. Most of the time I am engaged in research, analysis and writing, which are enjoyable.
Pros
within walking distance
Cons
not a permanent job
Nice place for study
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 18, 2016
Good environment to work and study. Nice medical care for students and very good benefits. Hard to find parking though. Nice public transportation
Library Student Worker. Great job for any student
University Of Pittsburgh Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 24, 2016
Great boss, works around your school schedule, and very nice to have extra cash while in school. The University of Pittsburgh is a great place attend and highly recommend receiving a student worker position if the opportunity presents itself.
Pros
Flexible, nice, studying
Cons
limit of 20 hours a week
A dynamic and energetic research environment
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USAFebruary 20, 2016
No two days were ever the same, and everyday posed interesting challenges that were an exciting part of the work. This is both the hardest, and the most enjoyable part of scientific research.
Time management and team work were the biggest takeaways from this experience, because as researchers, we depend on our lab mates for advice on technical matters, and occasionally help with difficult tasks.
The importance of being in a team is reinforced during every discussion session when lab members bring their latest findings to the table, and a productive discussion then ensues on their significance and potential paths to progress.
Pros
Thrill of scientific discovery
Cons
Punishing hours
Learning and operating in Higher Education
Johnstown Office of Academic Affairs (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAFebruary 16, 2016
Working with the Vice President of Academic Affairs was a wonderful experience. From this experience I decided that I with to stay in Higher Education and assist college students on their journey to success.
Flexible Student work
Systems Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 8, 2016
You learn a lot about how an IT department works at a university scale. Management can be tough sometimes, but they are always flexible with work, life, and school. It's hard to move up or lateral in this department
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
shortterm
The University of Pittsburgh is a good place to work.
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA 15261February 8, 2016
The hours and salary of different types of jobs can vary, but overall, it is a good place to work.

It is also great to be able to be in a job that allows for continued learning experiences.

The University of Pittsburgh is a good place to work.
Very impressive department and culture of learning
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 6, 2016
Pitt was a great experience for me to start my career and end my education. I was able to immerse myself in a college department all while receiving my master's degree. It challenged me to improve on a daily basis and gave me the opportunity to show what type of professional I can be in this field.
Productive place
Database Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 5, 2016
I learned many things from my job. I worked with Professor and other students to manage the database. People I work with were very easy-going.
Great learning insitution
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 4, 2016
Being a university there was an array of learning with the integration of academic and clinical knowledge. The use of evidence based medicine and its importance in daily practice was emphasized. Research work is done immensely and that was a great exposure on clinical trails and management related to it.
Loved working in a department that gave back to the community.
Community Activities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 26, 2016
Very professional and the co-workers were great people to interact with. A typical day at work would be very productive and the expression of team work was outstanding. We work in various capacities in Community and Governmental Relations, but everyone was already to give the other a helping hand during times of emergencies to accomplish a goal. Hardest part was coordinating your time for some evening assignments, i.e. volunteer work at the Greater Pittsburgh Food Bank in Duquesne. The most enjoyable part of my was giving service to the community and helping others in need.

Members of our staff were also encouraged to continue their education at the University. It is a place where you are motivated to do your best and to develop ways to improve on giving service to the community.
Pros
Educational benefits
Cons
The English Department is lower than other deparment budgeted, so the work load is high
Teaching Assistantship - Seminar in Composition (Former Employee) –  4200 Fifth Ave., Pgh, PA 15260January 24, 2016
An inspirational teaching and student personal and academic growth environment that is fostered by a devoted teaching, administrative, and support staff.
Pros
Excellent support for fellowship instructorships.
Cons
Many hours beyond estimated time to teach and grade papers.
Great place to work right out of school.
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 9, 2016
Great opportunity to work right out of college. However it seems that most people who work here either transfer to a different department or leave the university all together.
Pros
A lot of holiday time due to working for an university
Cons
A lot of hoops to jump through to try to get things done.
University of Pittsburgh
Video Director (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 9, 2016
Great place to work great benfits, beautiful campus, great people would not have left if I wasn't chasing my dream to be in the National Football League.
Pros
CIty
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Pittsburgh. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3