University of Pittsburgh Employee Reviews

Fun work place
Weight Room Attendant (Former Employee), Titusville PAFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: can do homework, meet new people
Cons: pay rate
Can do homework, only a few hours a week, very flexible with schedule, if you had conflict they helped you find someone to cover your shift. Meet new people
University wide restructuring coupled with reduced staff makes for a long work day
DEPARTMENT ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee), Pittsburgh CampusJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: tuition remission
Cons: low wages
Limited room for growth although offers many training sessions on policy and procedures.

Although offers tuition remission, taking courses are nearly impossible throughout the week that fit work schedule.
quality work, opportunities to gain experience and responsibilities
Nurse Coordinator (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 28, 2015
Such a good group of co-workers who had a team approach. High standards to do quality research.
Excellent Environment to work
Graduate Student Assistant (Current Employee), PittsburghJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: good learning environment
Cons: had to manage studies along with the work
Got the opportunity to learn and use my knowledge to the fullest. Good support from the management helped me groom along with the company.
The University provides a generous benefits package.
Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: vacation and holiday accruals
The University offers tuition reimbursement and myriad job opportunities.
Great opportunity to develop professional as well as personal self.
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: great resources
Cons: pay scale may not be the best
It helps you grow as a whole with tremendous help in all aspects. The resources available are great.
Awesome Experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Bradford, PAJanuary 6, 2015
Working at the University of Pittsburgh was not only a great working experience, but also a learning experience that definitely helped shape my work ethic and broaden my goals. I was a teaching assistant – more... for the Broadcast Communication department. This lead to accompanying many of the undergraduate students to their shoots on set as well as assisting them in the post-production process of completing their projects. It was an experience that taught me how important education is for those that will come after us in this particular field. Everything must be precise and accurate in order for projects and overall work to be proficient and acceptable upon completion. With the help of very motivated students, my job was very easy to carry out even in the toughest times because everyone was focused on completing our common goal of providing a story or entertainment segment for the rest of the student body. – less
Fast paced workplace
Animal Technician (Current Employee), Oakland, PAJanuary 6, 2015
A typical day at work started around 7:45, I would gather my supplies, bring them to my room and begin changes cages (feeding, writing health reports, so on & so fourth..) Occasionally I would have to – more... leave my room to get more supplies or sterilize some for others. My day would end around 3:50 unless my minimum of 200 cages were not changed.

Working here I have learned how to work at a very fast and demanding pace. Also, since my position requires depending on others, I learned how to manage my time if I needed to help other technicians or cage washers in order to finish my work by 4:00.

Co-workers were very friendly, even while under stress we all worked well together.

The hardest part of the job was the endless demand of supplies, and lack of staff to help run the facility.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with different types of people. – less
Great place
Field Instructor (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 5, 2015
Great place, I love working with the MSW interns. And the benefits are awesome.
Productive and fun workplace
Adjunct Clinical Instructor of Family Medicine (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 31, 2014
Seeing patients in/out patients.
Teaching medical students and residents.
Great Place to work
Research Specialist IV/Analytical Chemist (Former Employee), Oakland campus, Pittsburgh, PADecember 29, 2014
I found the work interesting and challenging. There is a collegial atmosphere. Colleagues help each other and could learn from each other. The University offers good benefits, healthcare, dental and vision plans, 401K plans, sick and vacation days.
Fun-filled collegiate environment with creative instructional learning
Student Academic Counselor (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 15, 2014
Pros: great leadership
Cons: n/a
As a Student Academic Counselor, I learned the study habits for successful academic performance. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing at-risk students improve their grades and avoid suspension. My director was approachable and knowledgeable. The hardest part of my job was having to leave upon graduating.
I presently work here and still enjoy it
Social Work Training Specialist (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 9, 2014
Pros: stability
Cons: healthcare coverage
It's a good learning environment. Very supportive staff. I'v e been in this department for six years. The benefits of working for University are good
A great hands on teaching and learning experience
Professor's Assistant (Former Employee), Johnstown, PADecember 8, 2014
Pros: free coffee and amenities
Cons: schedule
Working with the professor was a great experience in education, which I then used while teaching English as a second language in Thailand.

The difficulties were preparing notes for the study sessions and grading papers.

I enjoyed the overall interactive and teaching experience.
Great work environment.
Intern (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 3, 2014
It was nice working on a college campus. The environment and people were very inspiring and I enjoyed working there.
Supervisor of CHF/Pulmonary Hypertension Group (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 2, 2014
I had never done research prior to this job...what an experience. I have had some great teachers and amazing patients. The research department has been in a revamping process for the last few years. Once – more... all the changes are made it should be a fluid process but in the meantime the changing environment can be difficult at times. I work with an amazing group of physicians, nurses, and administrative assistants. – less
learning how to read proposals
Data Specialist (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 18, 2014
Pros: meeting peopl
Cons: learning
inputting information into the system and putting awards into the system. reading and putting all the information into the system and filing them
Exciting
Technology Associate (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 6, 2014
The job is very exciting, and a motivating factor to learn more. I meet new challenges everyday and this demands constant update of knowledge and technology skills.
Stable enviroment
Systems Analyst III (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 5, 2014
Pros: free eaducation for children and stability.
Cons: not technology driven
Stable environment but becomes stagnant and out of touch compared to the corporate environment.
Great stepping stone
Employee Relations Manager (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 4, 2014
Pros: autonomy
Cons: inflexible work hours
At Pitt, I was afforded the opportunity to grow as a professional. I was granted autonomy to make decisions and entrusted with sensitive information.