University of Pittsburgh Employee Reviews in United States

Run. Run far away
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 2, 2015
The most unprofessional, purposefully deceptive, unsupportive, back-stabbing experience I have ever had as a faculty member. They set you up to fail and reprimand you when you ask for help or guidance. Then they blackball you. Additionally, in case you were wondering the health insurance is the worst - even with the best option, you will pay a small fortune in hidden copays for all your tests and procedures in addition to the usual physician visit copays..
Pros
No one cares about your schedule
Cons
No one cares about you suceeding
Enjoyable coworkers!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 2, 2015
On a typical day I will interact with University students, staff, and faculty. The people are eager to help students have an enriching experience at University of Pittsburgh. Coworkers are fantastic and friendly. Great work environment!
Friendly workplace
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 21, 2015
A student focused environment with many resources at their disposal. The staff members of the university are friendly and are usually helpful, but some processes could be simplified to speed them up and minimize mistakes, but understandably, sometimes this protects students and employees.
The university has learned how to do a lot with with shrinking funds from the state in recent years, but if it is possible to give staff a raise, they get a modest one.
The city of Pittsburgh greatly benefits from the presence of the University of Pittsburgh.
Pros
Generous benefits package
Cons
Low staff salaries and staff must report even in dangerous weather
Productive and fun
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  PittsburghOctober 15, 2015
I spent most of my time in the lab. I conducted interesting research with my co-workers and learnt a lot during my pitt life. The culture is gorgeous.
Fun place to learn
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 3, 2015
Great learning environment to develop my knowledge and help prepare me for a career in my major. Loved my time at the University of Pittsburgh.
no job security
Assist.Prof.Ophthalmol,Faculty; lab director (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 25, 2015
search for funding takes most time for an average junior faculty. no job security at all for junior faculty, high pressure to deliver funding,
Athletic Training Student
Athletic Training Student (Former Employee) –  Bradford, PAAugust 25, 2015
Overall, I had a great experience at UPB as an athletic training student. I enjoyed the size of the University and the instruction I received.
Tour Guide
Pitt Pathfinder (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 19, 2015
You are one of the first people that future students and families meet when they arrive on campus. You learn countless facts about the University, the city of Pittsburgh, and beyond.
Decent position but not all it's cracked up to be
Graduate Student Advisor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 17, 2015
Upper management at Katz has unfortunately gone through several transitions, none of which have improved the office culture greatly. The Dean's office is completely disconnected from the program office, and upper management is completely unaware (or unable) to fix the issue. During my time at Katz (in an office of 15 people) 10 people left within a year....
Pros
not an extremely challenging position, and some of the people in the office genuinely care about what they do
Cons
very little upward mobility
Job is different each day
Manager, Payment Processing (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 7, 2015
The best part of working at the University of Pittsburgh are the people in departments. The job is also different each day,
stagnent and antiquated
Employee Relations Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 5, 2015
While Pitt is a wonderful University, the Department of HR is not 'family friendly' nor willing to accommodate anything other than a full time-plus employee. The management is egocentric, male-dominated, and micromanaging. It is my hope that that culture has changed since I was there, over 10 years ago.
Pros
job security
Cons
management
Great company
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 4, 2015
This company is great for someone that wants to have some diversity in the field. Also, this company has excellent benefit packages.
Typical academic research setting.
Research Instructor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 28, 2015
The work/life balance is completely dependent upon the immediate supervisor. My position as a research instructor is dependent on grant support. The instability of funding is difficult to plan a life around.
growth in knowledge and experience
Clinical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 27, 2015
Working in academic institution had been always an enriched experience. Working in University of Pittsburgh was an experience I cherished. I gained a lot of knowledge through the position of clinical coordinator.
The hardest part of the job
Business and Human Resource Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 15, 2015
The hardest part of the job is when a mistake is made and you can lose production. I enjoy the high pressure of my job. Everyday is a different day, you never really know what the day is going to be like dealing with students and faculty.
Pros
Having my own office
Cons
not having flexible work schedule
As long as you don't make waves the job is enjoyable.
Secretary III (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 7, 2015
Typically the job was great, but when they want you out they will create a scenario to get rid of you. I worked there for 15 years and one incident caused me to lose my job.
Pros
Benefits were exceptional
Cons
The people they bring in to manage you have no idea of what you do.
Enjoyed working in the University of Pittsburgh
Research Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 2, 2015
I enjoyed working with our team in the University of Pittsburgh. We work hard, and our efforts are very productive. We processed clinical blood samples including PBMCs from whole blood, aliquot serum and plasma storing and shipping the blood –related samples, maintaining the accurate computer, and performed QCs, which were associated with blood products and equipment, tissue culture, immunoassay including ELISA, FACS, SDS-PAGE, PCR.
Productive yet non-demanding environment
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 26, 2015
Loved this job. The office was closed due to lack of funding. My job here was recruiter for health studies.There was much people contact involving interviewing and qualifying prospective participants for health studies.
Pros
excellent work environment
Cons
financed by "soft money" which was eventually gone
Incredible coaching experience while pursuing an MBA
Graduate Assistant Women's Basketball Coach (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 17, 2015
I was able to manage completing my Master's degree while helping the women's basketball assistant coaches with day-to-day activities. These activities included:
• Assists the coaching staff with player development, recruiting, and statistical analysis
• Crafts scouting reports presenting statistics regarding the team’s opponents; presents findings to the team and assisted in developing an offensive strategy
• Maintains records of statistics during every basketball game which aids in determining the best plays to run both offensively and defensively
• Coaches players one on one and in team settings on areas of development including speed and playing technique
Exellent benefits, job security and work/life balance
Research (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 13, 2015
Provided the opportunity to work with the brightest most influential key opinion leaders in my field. Retirement and tuition benefits, as with most universities, cannot be beat. However, if you are in need of a competitive salary, career advancement and faster pace you will likely need to move elsewhere.
Pros
Job security, benefits, colleagues
Cons
Career advancement

4.3