University of Pittsburgh

University of Pittsburgh Employer Reviews

Good Company to work for
Computer Operator (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 15, 2014
Enjoyed time there. Good benefits but low pay. Learned a lot about the computer industry.
Football Office was a great place to work. Love sports.
Recruiting Secretary (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 11, 2014
Worked with the football players daily and prepared plays and dealt with new recruits that Pitt was interested in. Great place to work.
Good pay but no job security
Biomedical Research Technician IV - Lab Manager (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 10, 2014
The pay is good and most of the co-workers are friendly. However, like many other research positions, my job is funded by grants. This makes the position very unsecure and there is not really much room for advancement.
Recruiting Opportunity
Undergraduate Admissions Counselor (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 9, 2014
Incredible opportunities to travel, conduct admission presentations, and assist future students through the admission's process.
Fun and challenging place to work, good compensation, awesome benefits
Research Specialist IV (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: good benefits, high pay, rewarding career
Cons: lots of hours without overtime pay
This was the best job I ever had, and the benefits are out of the world. I only had $20 copays on my medical benefits for office visits, $50 ER copays and $5 drug copays. I had full vision and dental too. Also, they paid for me to attend school at their Graduate School of Public Health without costing me a dime. The hardest thing about this job was – more... finding parking, but once a slot opened up in the employee lot, that got a bit easier. – less
Productive and efficient work place
Lab Consultant (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 5, 2014
Working with CSSD at University of Pittsburgh helps me use my Industrial Engineering skills
Academic and professional
Research Assistant (Former Employee), PittsburghFebruary 2, 2014
I worked for my academic advisor and we are doing scientific researches with other professors together at the University of Pittsburgh.
Very knowledgeable employees with a focus on professionalism and detail.
Computer Technician (ResNet / OSCAR Consultant) (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 27, 2014
Employees were always on time and went above and beyond to find out the true issue of the customers' problems. Once the employee implemented the remedy, they took the time to educate on prevention and maintenance.
Very competitive and challenging
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 26, 2014
Pros: many oppotunities
Cons: far to travel from greensburg
Opportunity for growth, great opportunities and benefits
Secretary II (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 22, 2014
typical work varies on department and position
management is okay
benefit packages are good
Great co-workers but very busy and professional
CLINICAL RESEARCH COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 16, 2014
Very busy very professional, everyone knew there job and went about their business with little or no supervision
Great work environment
Research assistant (Former Employee), Oakland, PAJanuary 8, 2014
Everyone was extremely cooperative and helpful. The work was frustrating at times but with the aid of coworkers, it was manageable. Overall was a great experience.
MD doing research in Human Genetics
Post-doctoral Fellow (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 21, 2013
I used to do research in Human Genetics in many diseases which are hereditary and looking to the mutation.
doing pcr ,genotyping,sequencing and DNA extraction and purification.
Excellent workplace with outstanding colleagues
Professor (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 16, 2013
A nurturing and collegial place for a scientist to realize his/her dreams, provided he/she works extremely hard and has the good fortune of having his/her grant proposals funded.
I was an undergraduate RA. I learned how to program stepper motors via MATLAB
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 11, 2013
Programmed stepper motors to move in predetermined directions for test setup.

Professor and PhD student were both very friendly and helped a lot with questions
Spent most of my day in a Pitt van
Transportation Specialist (Current Employee), Pgh and surrounding areaNovember 8, 2013
Once I scheduled the pick up time with my appointments I would pick them up and drive them to their designated location. When their time was up I would pick them back up and take them home.

Traffic was often and issue and the occasional subject not following the schedule

I enjoyed interacting with the senior citizens
Dead End, Low Pay, Flexible hours
Assistant Coach (Current Employee), Oakland, PANovember 1, 2013
Pros: team issued gear
Cons: total lack of professional development opportunities, poor management on any level.
My typical day starts early in the morning and ends in the late afternoon. I've learned that even if you work harder than the rest of your peers, take the time to do things the right way, and try to develop yourself professionally the University does not value what you do. The University of Pittsburgh has a massive problem with employee retention in – more... my department because they refuse to pay people what they are worth. You can work here for your whole career but don't expect to make anything more than what your starting salary is. – less
See below
Grants and Contract Officer (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAOctober 29, 2013
Pros: it is very satisfing when a difficult contract is signed and all parties are happy.
Cons: very stressful when there are many proposals to submit, time is running because i do not have all the correct information, i must wait on others to product the proper paper work before i can submit on sponsor's website
The work of a Grants and Contracts Officer is very detailed and private information. The day varies by what deadlines are current. It can be a day of review and submitting proposals for research funding from federal, non-federal, state, local, for profit companies or foundations. Or review and finalizing of contracts or subcontracts of all kinds.
took bone density scans in a research based facility
Densitometry Technologist (Former Employee), University of PittsburghOctober 24, 2013
Pros: i had the opportunity to work with wonderful co-workers, salary and benifit package was wonderful
Cons: worked for "soft money" in research.
I performed bone density scans for multiple research studies. I was in charge of all maintenance both preventative and existing issues that would come to light on a Hologic densitometry unit. Quality control was performed on a daily basis to assure proper calibration. I worked with mulitple pharmacuetical companies in their search for data in accordance – more... with the effects of their product on the density of bones. I worked with a prominent Endocrinologist in her clinic for osteoporosis treatment. – less
A fantastic work environment
Various paraprofessional positions (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAOctober 10, 2013
Pros: fantastic place to work
Pitt is a great place to work, learn and live. I would return to the University at any time, if possible. Even though my professional life has taken me far afield I will always call the Steel City home.