University of Pittsburgh Employee Reviews

Enjoyed working in the University of Pittsburgh
Research Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 2, 2015
I enjoyed working with our team in the University of Pittsburgh. We work hard, and our efforts are very productive. We processed clinical blood samples including PBMCs from whole blood, aliquot serum and plasma storing and shipping the blood –related samples, maintaining the accurate computer, and performed QCs, which were associated with blood products and equipment, tissue culture, immunoassay including ELISA, FACS, SDS-PAGE, PCR.
Great place to intern!
Student Intern (Current Employee) –  UPMC Radiology AdministrationFebruary 15, 2013
Interning at UPMC gave me the opportunity to become well acquainted with a large health care system. The most challenging tasks were holding meetings with physician champions and medical staff chiefs in order to revise the requirements for physician privileging. I also found this to be the most enjoyable part of the job, as it afforded me the opportunity to create my own standards for procedure volume criteria based on research.
Pros
paid internship
Cons
odd hours
The University of Pittsburgh
Case Manager, Social Work Intern (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 23, 2014
I would recommend the University of Pittsburgh as an employer. As a large institution there are numerous opportunities for growth and development. Unfortunately, as with any job, work life balance is questionable depending on your supervisor, however, overall, I believe that many supervisors understand the importance of this issue and encourage it.
Pros
opportunities for growth
Cons
large institution, complicated hierarchy
Research Associate III
Research Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh PAMarch 12, 2014
The University of Pittsburgh underpays it research staff. The only thing I can say as my PI was a great person to work for. There is no movement in salary other than a 2% raise once a year, but plan on making what your hired at until the day you leave. Performing high level biochemical and biomedical experiments for 34,500/year is a joke. Not only performing them, writing the protocols for these experiments, data analysis, and trouble shooting them.
Very pleasant and relaxed place to work. Super nice co-workers.
Office of Child Development, Administrative (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 8, 2013
Child Development is an awesome department as far as friendly, helpful staff. I appreciate the mission and hear of great impact our staff have with the community.
My position is more computer/financial. I know the importance but would like a position involving more direct interaction with those of need.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
some aspects of job not very challenging.
Supervisor of CHF/Pulmonary Hypertension Group (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 2, 2014
I had never done research prior to this job...what an experience. I have had some great teachers and amazing patients. The research department has been in a revamping process for the last few years. Once all the changes are made it should be a fluid process but in the meantime the changing environment can be difficult at times. I work with an amazing group of physicians, nurses, and administrative assistants.
A sophisticated research environment
Visiting Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 28, 2013
The pharmacology program at Pitt is a national leader in the field and represents one of the most productive and NIH-funded departments at the University of Pittsburgh. Direct links with translational research at Pitt make it easy to perform studies with broad latitudinal coverage from basic studies of molecular biochemistry to animal physiology to patient outcomes.
I was a student worker.
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 12, 2015
The hardest part of the job was dealing with old newspaper that was extremely fragile as well as the numerous paper cuts on my hands. The most enjoyable part of my job was learning about the east coast and the Pittsburgh area, learning how to preserve documents, getting to read old documents and organizing documents.My supervisor and boss were extremely nice and helpful, as was everyone else I worked with.
Assistant to the Chair
Assistant to the Chair (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 18, 2012
worked with the chairman of the department, executive administrators, faculty and students who worked iin labs. Met an amazing amount of professionals who taught ame a lot about the relative benefits of research and how it can help for future cures, analysis and possible advances in medicine especially in genetics and microbiology.
Pros
steady employment
Cons
not providing insight for advancement
Fun-filled collegiate environment with creative instructional learning
Student Academic Counselor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 15, 2014
As a Student Academic Counselor, I learned the study habits for successful academic performance. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing at-risk students improve their grades and avoid suspension. My director was approachable and knowledgeable. The hardest part of my job was having to leave upon graduating.
Pros
great leadership
Cons
n/a

Want to know more about University of Pittsburgh?

Ask a question
Lab Technician at Center for Vaccine Research
Research Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 29, 2013
Was a fast paced job, but very rewarding. I learned about immunology and the nature of vaccine development. My PI was tough work for, but the team stood by one another on almost every issue, so it was very rewarding.
Pros
37.5 hour work week, winter break off, reasonable amount of vacation time.
Cons
due to demanding nature of the lab, holiday time had to be taken during winter recess.
Exellent benefits, job security and work/life balance
Research (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 13, 2015
Provided the opportunity to work with the brightest most influential key opinion leaders in my field. Retirement and tuition benefits, as with most universities, cannot be beat. However, if you are in need of a competitive salary, career advancement and faster pace you will likely need to move elsewhere.
Pros
Job security, benefits, colleagues
Cons
Career advancement
State-of-the-art facility that housed servers and network equipment that ensured stable and reliable services for University enterprise systems.
Network Operations Center / Senior NOC Monitor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 5, 2015
Great place to work and learn. • Provided network monitoring and troubleshooting, desktop support, application support, consulting services, planning, and implementation of centralized and distributed application systems.
Research Coordinator - Specialist Center - Oakland Campus
Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 2, 2013
I've worked here for 6.5 years. It is a great environment. Good for a young person without a growing family, or an older person with older established children.
Pros
great benefits, tuition credit, bus pass, walking distance for variety of restaurants, perks, close to healthcare.
Cons
commute, you have to pay for a parking, traffic can be horrific, crowded area
Great benefits but poor pay and lack of advancement
Research Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 17, 2012
I performed general laboratory techniques and completed biomedical research with mice on chemical induced acute lung injury.

I gained valuable experience using OSHA and NIOSH regulations to measure gas concentrations in the atmosphere.
Pros
cheap healthcare and great retirement
Cons
low pay, lack of promotions unless someone else is promoted
If you Love animals
Veterinary Technician/Research Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 26, 2015
Daily monitoring and caring for animals
Speaking with a variety of doctors and technicians
Being apart of published papers and getting acknowledgment for your accomplishments
Everyone at work is nice and extremely helpful
Hardest part of the job- Keep in your mind everything you do is to save a life and making a huge impact in the world of research
Very laid back and learning intensive environment
Assistant Researcher (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 26, 2013
A typical day at work included utilization of various lab equipment to further my knowledge on my individual project. once information was acquired, often I would present this information to facutly and staff. The lab environment was very laid back and I thouroughly enjoyed all co-workers present.
Pros
decide your own hours
Cons
not guranteed success
New and Exciting
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 22, 2013
I was in a research programs for about a yr, and then left when the grant was over. The lab was a great learning experience, everyone was involved in each others projects, and help develop new techniques and skills that could be used almost everywhere. Everyday was a new day, because we never knew what out Principal Investigator would think of next!!
Pros
a fun lab
Cons
travelling to work on the bus
Highly Educational and Cultural Environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 28, 2014
I learn a lot from the professors in this department. I absolutely enjoy assisting students who take courses within this department. Being support staff to the faculty is very rewarding. One of the hardest parts of the job is getting professors to comply with deadlines!
Pros
great benefits: education, health and holidays
Cons
salary is not that great
Fun and productive work experience
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 13, 2015
Awesome work place that constantly probed at your knowledge of professional grade instruments and patience of new chemistry students. The diversity of students and their knowledge maintains your passion for chemistry. And like every job should, it provides a great constant learning experience and fun!
Pros
Great learning environment
Cons
N/A

4.3