University of Pittsburgh Employee Reviews

Internship
Women's Basketball Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 25, 2017
This was an intership. It was a very good learning experience and i learned alot from the staff that worked. Many things that i learned there i can take with me to this day
Tier 1 research university witnessed through the eyes of grad student
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 24, 2017
University of Pittsburgh offers a number of graduate programs. Mine was in the natural sciences. That being said each experience is dependent on your supervisor. I enjoyed mine.
Productive work place also great empolyers classy place
Housemen (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 14, 2017
I like work here at university of Pittsburgh but sometimes I don't feel like they don't pay enough for the work I do such as setting up the equipment projectors, screens, putting down dance floors setting the rooms how they supposed to be but other than that it's a great environment to work at
Pros
Free lunch down time
Cons
The communication problems sometimes
Great benefits, pathetic pay and confusing management.
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 12, 2017
It's generally a trend in Universities, expect to be paid 30,000 under what you should be making elsewhere. Management is confusing to non-existing, and expect weeks to months whenever you have an issue come up.

But great benefits, especially with time off. Great connections, and an AMAZING city.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Pay
Benefits are the only thing I stayed for
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 11, 2017
Terrible place to work, everyone is miserable, no one ever came in with a smile on their face, you are thrown into the job there is no training involved, nothing short of a toxic work place
Benefits
Cons
Everything literally
challenging learning environment
CRNP Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 11, 2017
My work status was only part-time casual.
I enjoyed traveling throughout day.
Management of CRNP students at clinical rotation sites.
I learned about multiple other opportunities available for CRNP
in and around the Pittsburgh area.
Pros
Close to university and access to benefits.
Cons
parking
It's a university, that's all I can say
Adjunct Physics Lab Instructor (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAJuly 5, 2017
This is a major university and therefore compartmentalized according to what division you are in. I can only speak of the Natural Sciences division. The people there were helpful and student focused.
Productive and fun workplace
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 3, 2017
-Performs research under the direction of a faculty member.
-Registered for graduate courses.
-Attended technical seminars.
-Teaching assistant.
-Publications.
Beautiful campus
Assistant to President - AA Officer (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAJuly 1, 2017
Since my position was exempt status with senior level responsibilities, it is difficult to review, because my feelings would not be transferable. The campus is beautiful and the students can live on campus all four years.
Learned so much in such a short period of time
Volunteer Research (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 30, 2017
A typical day at work would start with coffee and a conversation about the experiments of the day, correct techniques to use and results from previous experiments.

I learned a lot every day. From techniques such as LC-MS, TLC, workup, purification, NMR and synthesis to creatively attacking problems and performing literature searches.

The management was hands off but available to troubleshoot and brainstorm.

The workplace culture was loose and fun.

Hardest part of the job was pacing myself with progress of the results and not getting frustrated when an experiment didn't work.

The most enjoyable part of the job was learning something new which I could use that day or the next.
Pros
New facilities, interesting seminars, guest lecturers, great faculty and staff, friendly atmosphere
Excellent
Graduate Research Assistant in NIH (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 26, 2017
Amazing experience. Very friendly diverse culture. Good, experienced and helpful staff. Flexible schedules. Great learning opportunity for newly graduates.
The Advocate student paper
Writer (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAJune 26, 2017
Student newspaper covering the university's sports teams. Good leadership, good editing group. Ability to create freely and write what you want. Good start to journalism.
Working here has been an experience.
Pathfinder (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 21, 2017
Great leadership experience in that I was able to have the opportunity to speak to dozens of families a week. Improved my public speaking skills and allowed me to give back to the community.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Management didn't know the difference between friend and boss
Its a great place to work
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 19, 2017
Its a great place to work, faculty and staff are congenial and happy to work with. There are plenty of resources to help the junior faculty to teach as well as conduct research.
Good benefits, lousy management
Husbandry Services Technician I (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 19, 2017
Having the education and health benefits are great, among others, but HR is a pain, management of departments and supervisors are lacking in communication and oversight.
Pros
bus pass, education benefits
good school
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 19, 2017
Great research but too much politics. Constant stress of finding grants. Located in the middle of city with no real campus. Good medical school and and MBA program.
Deadline Based Job
Grants Accountant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 15, 2017
There are sponsor deadlines for faculty to submit research applications. A majority of the time, the faculty wait until the last minute to submit them. The department has internal deadlines that the faculty are supposed to follow. However, if the faculty does not follow the deadline, nothing happens to them. This causes a very stressful workplace around deadline times.
Hail to Pitt!
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 14, 2017
As a Pitt alum, it was a great joy to work for this organization. It had excellent benefits and workplace morale. The university prides itself on a world-class education and that is what I received as a student in both an undergraduate and graduate program. Wonderful place to work.
Great workplace with great benefits.
Curriculum Coordinator (Administrator I) (Former Employee) –  Oakland, PAJune 13, 2017
I enjoyed working alongside faculty and students. The culture was a very academic one with very interesting and kind coworkers. The hardest part of the job was managing the schedules of numerous faculty members and graduate students while also working with the needs of students.
experience
Temporary Summer Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 12, 2017
I really enjoyed working there. Even though I understood it was temporary, it was great experience.

Cleaning all of the floors really kept me busy and everyone was very friendly.