University of Pittsburgh

University of Pittsburgh United States Employee Reviews

Old School R01 academic institution, not well compensated
associate professor, non tenured (Former Employee), Oakland, City of PittsburghOctober 6, 2014
Pros: benefits, working with students
Pitt is a stable place to work, and the benefits are decent. Tenure track professors are well-treated and reasonably well-compensated.

However, it is becoming more and more difficult every year to become a tenured professor, and many instructors, adjuncts, and non-tenure track hires do the bulk of the work in a department. Frequently, the tenured professors will have awesome ideas for improving programs and processes, however they have no intention of contributing to the work that will make these improvements happen.

This contributes to general disgruntlement among the harder-working academes, who teach, advise, do research, write papers, serve on committees, supervise students, travel to conferences, and generally run the place.

Oh, and by the way - after you earn that PhD and get a job here, you'll be making your own copies, and walking your own forms over to the library. The secretaries don't work for you, they work for the tenured and administrative professors.
Productive and Instructive
Buy-side Analyst (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 30, 2014
Pros: teamwork, bloomberg, mentoring
Cons: insufficient fund
I served as an buy-side analyst for small and mid-cap private equity with other fourteen analysts at Pitt managing several million dollar University Fund in senior year. Our main task was to be an active investor and tried to disclose positive alpha among a variety of private stocks. I cooperated with another teammate concentrating on industrials. The hardest part for stock pitch was to get access to all public information that was useful to valuate the company so as to integrate them to come up with future expectation but it was also the most enjoyable part among the valuation process since that required me to be versatile professionals among a variety of related fields such as corporate finance, international trading, and strategic management and a comprehensive understanding of entire economics, industry and specific company as well. Also, I was in the valuation team where mentor other peers accelerating and optimizing valuation process and achieve its automation via MATLAB and VBA. In the meantime, I had to use Bloomberg to manage our stock portfolio and also finished most of my valuation and stock selection and thus I along with other four teammate presented our annual portfolio report to the department of finance as well as dean. Thus, generally speaking this one-year practicum is of huge value.
Do not work as a Researcher more than a year.
Research Specialist Three (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 27, 2014
Poor pay, grant based jobs, and no advancement. Get your experience and move on in a year or two.
Productive place
Research Project Manager (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 23, 2014
Worked related to Translational medicine for Infectious Diseases. Enjoyed the academic enviroment. I had a very productive period developing new assays. Some politics but nothing out of the normal.
Perfect University for PostDoctoral training
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 23, 2014
University provide all necessary benefits and resources for effective work and for balanced job work / life balance
Very friendly co-wokers
great sense of community and shared ideas
Writing Instructor (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 16, 2014
Pros: creativity encouraged
Open-minded colleagues, humor, great sense of community. I learned how to engage students who were not initially passionate about writing.
Tough position, but rewarding experience
Commercialization Due Diligence Intern (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 15, 2014
MBA intern for coulter is not easy, but you learn more than you would ever imagine. Pay is ok.
A great place for research
Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 15, 2014
Researchers and academics are devoted to identifying areas for public health improvement.
Great family owned business.
Project Manager (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 14, 2014
This owner gave me my 1st job and taught me how to work hard. Truly a blessing.
Enriching research experience
Research Intern, Swanson School of Engineering (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 8, 2014
I was employed by the university to conduct an original research project, studying the environmental impact of the construction industry. I mainly worked alone, but was advised by two professors, and corresponded with members from the actual team from the construction project that was studied.
Inspire my passion in Data Science
Research Assistant (Former Employee), PittsburghSeptember 2, 2014
A voluntary position in the engineering school, great professor and great work environment
Good work for the summer time, being involved in the sport of basketball
CAMP COUNSELOR (Former Employee), Pittsburgh,PAAugust 31, 2014
Good working with kids, get to play basketball all day, work with great counselors. Hardest part of the day would have to be being on your feet for a good portion of the day.
Great
Database Manager (Current Employee), Mechanicsburg, PAAugust 16, 2014
Enjoy working with people at this company. There are IT areas that need to be drastically improved.
Nice
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAAugust 13, 2014
Pittsburgh is not big but convenient enough for living and studying. People are nice. UPitt and CMU are very close.
Student
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAAugust 13, 2014
Worked as a research assistant for my professor. It was fun and exciting.
Great school, great people, and awesome experiences and opportunities
Student (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJuly 28, 2014
This university is a great community. The faculty are amazing and completely committed to giving the students a great experience.
Federal Work Study
Fitness Center Manager (Former Employee), Bradford, PAJuly 23, 2014
Pros: flexible
Management was great, very flexible as well as informative of duties expected and desired outcomes.

Duties included:
- maintaining OSHA sanitation standards
-assisting with exercise implementation among members
-maintaining fitness center equipment
relaxing atmosphere
Temporary Records Clerk (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJuly 18, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: low pay wage
relaxing atmosphere with supportive coworkers and flexible weekday hours
Great University & Work Environment
Director of Alumni Clubs & Councils (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJuly 16, 2014
As a two-time graduate of Pitt, it's very easy to love working for the University especially in an alumni relations capacity.

We have a great working environment with varied challenges and experiences. I've had the opportunity to meet some of the most incredible people via my time here and I work with a fun set of coworkers and supervisors.

I truly enjoy promoting the alumni networks around the country and keeping alumni engaged with the University!

Hail to Pitt!
Good company
Radiologic imaging data analyst (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJune 17, 2014
I learned a lot at this company and made a lot of valuable contacts. My position was dissolved because of a lack of grant money awarded.

University of Pittsburgh Salaries