University of Puget Sound Employee Reviews in United States

UPS Promotes Diversity
Ticketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 26, 2016
UPS is white white white.
BUT, the students, staff and faculty are VERY aware of this and everything about the culture of UPS is about increasing diversity, awareness and engagement with our community. You will not feel left out or under appreciated at UPS.
Work Study Position
Grounds Worker (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 25, 2016
I'm sure my time as a Grounds Worker here would have been better if I was not also a student here. College is just not very fun most of the time. But the management within the Facilities department at UPS was exemplary and working with the beautiful greenery in Tacoma Washington was truly a blessing. The pay was quite reasonable but I was forced into this position despite being more of an academic, desiring a library position. However the school did not grant the right to chose your work study position.
Driving the go-carts around the campus was definitely the best part, especially when the weather was nice. I worked mostly alone or with partners sometimes, depending on the size of the project. We were free to listen to our music while we worked and the supervisors were very casual and laid back and it was a stress-free environment, until I got back to the classroom of course.
The biggest drawback would be the work itself; lots of dirt, lots of heavy lifting and lots of sweat, and going to class smelling (and looking) like a garden gnome. However it's probably my favorite job so far.
Pros
Very independent busy work
Cons
Heavy physical labor
Challenging, diverse complex network environment. Requires intense job dedication and time. A place to learn to maintain all aspects of networking.
Network Manager (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 9, 2015
Proactively monitor all aspects of network performance and availability. Proactively troubleshoot and deal with impending issues and outages. Monitor network performance, security and configuration.

I have learned to be intimately familiar with all workstation and network interactions to be proficient at troubleshooting user issues.

The hardest part of the job is the off hours required to maintain and upgrade the network devices, and to be on call 24 hours per day.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the training of the part-time students that help with the support and maintenance of the network. It is rewarding and beneficial to the students.
what to expect
Dinning Cook/ Server (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 10, 2015
Lower management employed by the school is great and understand a typical work day.
Has weird partnership with an outsourcing company which encompasses most (except the highest position) of higher management. lack of checks and balances.
Slim chance of moving up.
co-workers are great.
socialized raises :(
most enjoyable part of the job is talking to the students.
Pros
free lunches, young minds, good vacation accumulation.
Cons
Don't heed advice, weird partnership with outsourcing company.
Students are great
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 19, 2015
There are a lot of people here that are truly not genuine. They seem really nice to you to your face but quickly will turn and talk behind your back. Management is really bad you have some that dont do well confrontation and some that just plain ignore the issue, especially if you havent been working there long. Co-workers are alright. There is a lot of tension in the Bookstore. It doesnt seem like they all get along and pretend. Not an environment that i would like to be in, but I have to go there for some supplies.the best part of me my job is meeting with the students,
Great Research Opportunities for Undergraduates
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 13, 2015
Undergraduate research opportunities are plentiful and the faculty truly cares about the quality and richness of the education professed.
Fun and challenging work place.
Undergraduate Research (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 18, 2014
Researched and performed technical analysis on low volatility stocks.
Attractive work with good co-workers and good students.
Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 25, 2014
My primary task was teaching a number of computer science topics. In addition I installed and configured servers to be used by students.
The CWLT was a great place to work.
Business Tutor (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 24, 2014
Worked at the Center for Writing, Learning and Teaching at the University of Puget Sound. The atmosphere was great, and all the tutors worked together to make the center very effective to those who utilized it.
Highly responsive administration
Debate Coach (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 14, 2014
Very hands off with regards to the function of the debate team, which is incredibly important to being competitively successful.

Want to know more about University of Puget Sound?

Ask a question
Challenging and supportive unviersity.
Neuropsychology Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 30, 2014
I loved going to school at the University of Puget Sound. I was offered wonderful opportunities to pursue the best education possible. I had wonderful experiences with my faculty and other students.
Great Environment and Well Paid
Member (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 12, 2013
Staff was terrific and our efforts were for a meaningful end.
Orientation Leader
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WASeptember 7, 2012
I worked with incoming freshmen as an Orientation Leader at the University.
A Challenging, but Worthwhile Experience
General Chemistry Lab Prep (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 29, 2012
As a student employee, the hours are flexible and the workload is easily manageable with the rest of your academics. Unfortunately, though you are working behind the scenes, you won't learn too much more about chemistry by having this job or interact too much with most of the professors.

Management is hit or miss, the storeroom manager can be difficult to get along with and has a tendency to be rude without meaning to be, but he is understanding when it comes to working around your busy student schedule. The professors who guide the assistants are for the most part very helpful, but sometimes can be hard to track down and poorly organized.
Prosteges University
Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach/Head Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 21, 2012
• Recruit over 700 highly skilled student-athletes for the men's basketball program each year.
• Attend hundreds of basketball games across the country to discover potential prospects.
• Conduct meetings high school basketball coaches and counselors to gain knowledge on the character of each recruit.
• Make over 100 phone calls and send over 400 emails weekly to recruits providing knowledge about the University of Puget Sound.
• Schedule campus visits and home visits with recruits.
• Weekly meetings with admissions counselors and student financial service counselors to get updates on each recruits application process and financial aid.
• Participate in fundraising/public relation’s events. Supervises and evaluates team captains to ensure responsibilities are being upheld.
• Oversee the conduct and discipline of student athletes. Counsel members of the basketball program and develop, motivate, and assist in the pursuit of academic/athletic excellence.
• Monitors and ensures academic progress of members of the basketball team.
• Build relationships with varies AAU coaches and high school coaches across the country
• Update notes on recruits into frontrush software.
• Mail out over 100 handwritten letters to our recruits across the country.
• Conduct weight lifting and skill development schedule for the team.
• Schedule Alumni events with the men’s basketball program.
• Create itinerary for all road games.
• Film exchange
• Breakdown practice/game film and upload on hudl software for players and coaches to view.
• May drive student athletes or other students to team activities
  more... and/or athletic events.
• Provide support to other coaches in the University in any way that I can.
• Performs other job related duties as assigned.

The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing our players graduate. Puget Sound is one of the top academic universities on the west coast, so being able to mentor these young men and help them in their transition into the real world is very enjoyable for me.

The hardest part of the job would be recruiting. Puget Sound is considered the Harvard of the West Coast, so academically we only recruit the best academic students in the country. We also dont offer athletic scholarships being that we're a NCAA DIII school, so we must find student/athletes who excel in both the classsroom and on the basketbal court.
Great experience builder
Student investigator (Former Employee) –  Biology and Chemistry DepartmentsNovember 15, 2011
Plenty of access to research mentors and labs to work from. Ideal for a candidate beginning the research process.

4.4