University of Puget Sound Employee Reviews

Most racist place i have ever worked from the students all the way up to the top staff.
custodian (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 17, 2017
If you are white go ahead and work here if not find another job cause the best your gonna get is cleaning toilets or cooking food for a bunch of spoiled rich mostly white brats,
Pros
Cons
Racism
Good student work experience
Student Diner Worker (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 10, 2017
Good student work experience. Managers care about your school schedule. Coworkers are nice and want you to succeed. Good environment to learn in a supportive environment.
Effort to become employee
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WASeptember 25, 2017
It is difficult to get hired, but once you are in the university community, many benefits result.
Benefits, such as, audit classes, job advancement, and university activities.
Pros
time off
Cons
focus very intense on diversity
Relaxed culture with opportunities for advancement
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 6, 2017
As a student worker I got to see a lot of the behind the scenes. There are huge differences between departments and not all of those are good. In the better departments I got lots of training opportunities that were beneficial to other jobs I have held as well.
Productive and rewarding
Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 23, 2017
During my time, I learned a lot and was able to contribute back to my University in a meaningful way. I came in knowing close to nothing, and within my four years, I become a leader of my team, and trained them when needed, but also willing to learn from them. The TS staff was always pleasant to work with and responded within a timely manner.
Fine place to work but low salary
Diner Worker (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 13, 2017
Dining hall of a small-sized university. Poor management, but all of my coworkers were friendly. Don't expect a promotion without putting in a few years.
Productive, energetic workplace
Student Admission Associate (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 3, 2017
Working in the office of admission was a very positive experience. I gained public speaking skills, organizational skills, and how to evaluate others in a succinct but thorough way. A typical day at work would include scheduling visits to campus by prospective families, showing the campus to prospective families, and interviewing prospective students for admission. The management was always willing to work with the employees to change the workplace as it needed to be adjusted every year, and always led by example. The most enjoyable part of this job was meeting all the prospective students and families and helping them find a university that fit them best.
Something to do while your friends are in class
Dining Services (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 26, 2017
This is a great way to supplement your income while going to college here. They understand when you have to call in for a shift when you have a project or other school related things if you give them heads up.

The full time staff is super nice and great to work with. You will have a few rushes throughout the day and the rest of the time you will be bored out of your mind.

They are very flexible with how many hours you want to work, but it doesn't pay much.
Pros
pocket change, food allowance, nice atomosphere, good people
Cons
boring, no benefits, dont earn a lot
Great education and welcoming atmosphere
Babysitter/Chauffeur (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 7, 2017
I loved attending UPS for as both an academic atmosphere as well as a good working environment. I've collaborated with professors on productions as well as our admissions department to get a liaison for the theatre department at UPS.
Great place to work. Very supportive staff.
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 16, 2016
Relaxing place to work. The staff and students were always a joy to work with. The campus is a beautiful place to break. And you are allowed to do that at anytime.
Pros
Great benefits.
A place that truly cares for their staff and faculty
Manager (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 18, 2016
The benefits are amazing for staff members. 10% retirement contribution for non-exempt staff and 12% for salaried, exempt staff. One year with the university and you're fully vested. The work-life balance is real here, too. Many companies claim this matters to them, but at the University I've seen managers and directors emphasize the importance of family....life outside of the university. Visually, it's an incredible campus. It's like working at Central Park in NY. The architecture and landscaping takes my breath away. The colleagues I work with are passionate and friendly. Everyone cares for each other as if we're family. I've worked here for over five years now and I still have to pinch myself to ensure this is my reality. I couldn't say more good things about the University of Puget Sound if I tried. It's simply fantastic!
Pros
Amazing benefits (tuition remission, medical, vacation/sick/personal floating holiday/personal business appointment leave, 13 paid holidays/campus bonus days, workouts at the fitness center for free, amazing retirement, and adequate compensation
Cons
Dental is a voluntary benefit and employee pays for full premium (not much, just about 50.00 per month)
UPS Promotes Diversity
Ticketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 26, 2016
UPS is white white white.
BUT, the students, staff and faculty are VERY aware of this and everything about the culture of UPS is about increasing diversity, awareness and engagement with our community. You will not feel left out or under appreciated at UPS.
Work Study Position
Grounds Worker (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 25, 2016
I'm sure my time as a Grounds Worker here would have been better if I was not also a student here. College is just not very fun most of the time. But the management within the Facilities department at UPS was exemplary and working with the beautiful greenery in Tacoma Washington was truly a blessing. The pay was quite reasonable but I was forced into this position despite being more of an academic, desiring a library position. However the school did not grant the right to chose your work study position.
Driving the go-carts around the campus was definitely the best part, especially when the weather was nice. I worked mostly alone or with partners sometimes, depending on the size of the project. We were free to listen to our music while we worked and the supervisors were very casual and laid back and it was a stress-free environment, until I got back to the classroom of course.
The biggest drawback would be the work itself; lots of dirt, lots of heavy lifting and lots of sweat, and going to class smelling (and looking) like a garden gnome. However it's probably my favorite job so far.
Pros
Very independent busy work
Cons
Heavy physical labor
Challenging, diverse complex network environment. Requires intense job dedication and time. A place to learn to maintain all aspects of networking.
Network Manager (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 9, 2015
Proactively monitor all aspects of network performance and availability. Proactively troubleshoot and deal with impending issues and outages. Monitor network performance, security and configuration.

I have learned to be intimately familiar with all workstation and network interactions to be proficient at troubleshooting user issues.

The hardest part of the job is the off hours required to maintain and upgrade the network devices, and to be on call 24 hours per day.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the training of the part-time students that help with the support and maintenance of the network. It is rewarding and beneficial to the students.
what to expect
Dinning Cook/ Server (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 10, 2015
Lower management employed by the school is great and understand a typical work day.
Has weird partnership with an outsourcing company which encompasses most (except the highest position) of higher management. lack of checks and balances.
Slim chance of moving up.
co-workers are great.
socialized raises :(
most enjoyable part of the job is talking to the students.
Pros
free lunches, young minds, good vacation accumulation.
Cons
Don't heed advice, weird partnership with outsourcing company.
Students are great
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 19, 2015
There are a lot of people here that are truly not genuine. They seem really nice to you to your face but quickly will turn and talk behind your back. Management is really bad you have some that dont do well confrontation and some that just plain ignore the issue, especially if you havent been working there long. Co-workers are alright. There is a lot of tension in the Bookstore. It doesnt seem like they all get along and pretend. Not an environment that i would like to be in, but I have to go there for some supplies.the best part of me my job is meeting with the students,
Great Research Opportunities for Undergraduates
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 13, 2015
Undergraduate research opportunities are plentiful and the faculty truly cares about the quality and richness of the education professed.
Fun and challenging work place.
Undergraduate Research (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 18, 2014
Researched and performed technical analysis on low volatility stocks.
Attractive work with good co-workers and good students.
Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 25, 2014
My primary task was teaching a number of computer science topics. In addition I installed and configured servers to be used by students.
The CWLT was a great place to work.
Business Tutor (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 24, 2014
Worked at the Center for Writing, Learning and Teaching at the University of Puget Sound. The atmosphere was great, and all the tutors worked together to make the center very effective to those who utilized it.