University of Rhode Island

University of Rhode Island United States Employee Reviews

teaching and field work
Trail Crew Leader and Assistant Farm Manager (Former Employee), West Greenwich, RIMarch 22, 2015
Pros: beautitful work setting
Cons: seasonal work
I worked as an environmental educator during the school year and then as an assistant farm manager and trail worker. I learned about self motivation, figuring out my own jobs and what needed to get done. It was a great lesson!
Exploitive Compensation
Teaching assistant (Former Employee), Kingston, RIMarch 16, 2015
Exploitive Compensation: Lacking in benefits, summer funding not guaranteed, hourly wage offset my large amount of unpaid hours. By maintaining student status workers are not eligible to humane employee treatment. Compensation is not enough to be self sufficient and additional employment is strongly discouraged.
Good benefits but low salary and very political
Project Manager (Current Employee), Kingston, RIMarch 12, 2015
Working at this public university you get good benefits and time off, but low salary levels. Most positions are union positions (for better or worse).

I find the politics, egos and bureaucracy at the university to be frustrating.
This university is great
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Kingston, RIMarch 10, 2015
I have been here for more than four years. I obtained my PhD. My divisor is a great professor. I like live here, close to the sea, small state, etc.
good place to work and job steady
Professor and Department Chair (Current Employee), Kingston, RIMarch 7, 2015
Pros: job steady
Cons: not very stimulating
Teach a couple of hours, write manuscripts or grants, organize meetings or discuss with faculty or leadership. Direct students. I am enjoying the job here. But I am looking for more challenging environment.
Review URI
Assistant Director of Athletic Development (Current Employee), Kingston, RIJanuary 18, 2015
The University of Rhode Island provides an atmosphere of growth and potential. They provide tremendous benefits and treat employees well.
Hard working and fun school
Member of The Sports Medicine Club (Former Employee), Kingston, Rhode IslandJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: learning environment
URI provides fun and hard working atmosphere among their students.
Perfectly Comfortable
Staff/Receptionist for Golds Gym (Former Employee), North Kingstown, RIJanuary 7, 2015
Working at URI as a student receptionist:

I was able to study and get school work done while working. It was such a quiet enviornment and very slow that my day to day tasks were completed within a few hours of me clocking in for the day.
Great place
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Kingston, RIDecember 16, 2014
Pros: tuition
Cons: low stipend
. Sometimes overload works
. Great to research
. Very supportive faculty members
Japanese Language Coach
Japanese Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee), Kingston, RIDecember 16, 2014
Assisting and teaching students in a foreign language is always a great experience and allows for me to building upon a large array of skills, including the basics of that particular foreign language.
Great Learning Environment
Lambda Chi Alpha- Member (Current Employee), Kingston, RINovember 7, 2014
Pros: career days
While attending the University of Rhode Island I have learned a great deal of many subjects. My fellow students are incredible and eager to learn just like myself. The faculty and staff were more than willing to help you strive for success and would provide guidance to those who needed it.
Great place to work with excellent benefits
Secretary (Former Employee), Kingston, RINovember 5, 2014
Great place to work with excellent benefits. The campus is located in beautiful Kingston, Rhode Island. The school spirit is extremely high and the employees dedicated.
Loved working with art students and in the art environment
Senior Word Processing Typist (Former Employee), Kingston, RIOctober 30, 2014
Pros: close to home, love the art world and education environment
Cons: split shift in two different departments
I worked a split shift which was difficult. Loved working in the art center galleries department.
Graduate School -- A Difficult Road
Teaching Assistant/Graduate Student (Former Employee), Kingston, RIOctober 23, 2014
Graduate School: long hours, low pay, little recognition.
Nice place, nice people
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Kingston, RIOctober 8, 2014
URI is my favorite university. I studied there for my Ph.D. The research facilities is state of art, especially INBRE. The professors are very kind and willing to help.
nice place
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Kingston, RIAugust 25, 2014
Nice place with nice view. Close to downtown. Sometime very crowded.
Very professional Environment with great Staff
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Kingston, RIAugust 6, 2014
Always came in to work with friendly staff in a welcoming environment. The manager was very flexible and professional.
Supportive faculty and staff.
Adjunct , Department of Education (Former Employee), Kingston, RIJuly 29, 2014
Pros: support of all the faculty and staff.
While working at URI, I gained experience working with primarily undeclared freshmen and the barriers they face as they begin their education.
Amazing job!
Student Staff Coordinator (Former Employee), Kingston, RIJune 22, 2014
Incredible mentorship by employers, training and intership experience provided. Exciting projects and tasks.
Student and Work Life
Residential Advisor (Former Employee), Kingston, RIJune 10, 2014
Pros: helped lower tuition, gained organizational skills, communicated with residents
Cons: chaotic moments happened a any point in the day
Holding a Residential Advisor position is being a resources for all residents in the residence hall. Dealing with issues based on social or personal matters. As well as noticing and reporting incidents, maintenance work, or documenting issues of residents. From this position I learned how to manage time and organizational skills from balancing school work and my job role. The advance in communication and listening skills have also provided me to develop into a better skilled employee. Dealing with issues on a neutral plane and understanding reasoning behind actions is also what I had gained from my job role. Working with fellow students also was provide learning aspects. As others could pick up skills or habits of another co-worker or help and suggest things to other co-workers. The hardest part of the job is expecting the most random incidents to occur at the most random times of the day. However once my phone rings I address the manner in a professional way and find a solution as possible. The most enjoyable part of my day is having residents look up to me as a role model and providing them with a safe living environment and providing them with the necessary guidance throughout their day. Developing a relationship with the residents was a number 1 priority and doing that by being open to conversation, greeting every resident that I see everyday and being available to them as much as possible, I feel as though I have done my duties and beyond for my role.

1 2 3