University of San Francisco

University of San Francisco Employee Reviews

Really Warm and Accepting Environment
Production Manager Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 18, 2015
It is wonderful to work with amazing people that genuinely care about everyone's opinions. I learned a lot in how to function dropbox and to use their functional use printers that can scan, fax, and print. It was great to be apart of their team and I can't wait until next school year to be hired again.
Great benefits; wages ok; advancement rare/non-existent
Other (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMarch 12, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: bad wages; terrible management (depending on department); union membership mandatory
**This review strictly relates to administrative jobs, NOT academic and/or professorial jobs**

Working hours are standard (8:30am to 5pm) but the work culture/life balance is there. One can leave the office at the office. The work is generally unchallenging and one must seek avenues of growth and learning if they wish to expand knowledge. The opportunities for this are there, one needs to identify them though (ie.: don't expect management to give it to you).

Management: This varies enormously across divisions and departments. Generally, most managers are supportive and understanding, but do little to challenge growth or allow for additional learning. Avoid some departments entirely. This would absolutely include the Registrar's office and One Stop/Financial Aid, as well as Undergrad Admissions in general (Admissions can go either way) and in general the division they fall under, which is Academic and Enrollment Services (AES). These departments are defined by inept management and micromanagement styles in addition to non-advancement positions. Also, these offices are generally inflexible and hostile. Employment in other divisions/department other than AES is highly recommended.

Base Pay/Job Security/Benefits: very low pay compared to same jobs in other universities (including community colleges) in and around the Bay. Job security is rock-solid; it's nearly impossible to get fired. Although, it can happen. However, people are usually pressured out due to office toxicity and hostility. The union one must usually pay dues for/be a member of is abusive and ignorant to worker – more... concerns; they do not press management on change; do nothing but protect the inept workers who do need to go. Benefits (non-monetary wages) are outstanding though. Excellent health coverage and retirement benefits. Understand though that these benefits can (and do) change as the Union and it's stewards are largely inept at negotiation and long-term outlook, etc...

Co-workers: some the absolute finest people and some (very few) of the worst. Generally, they are incredibly supportive. If you're in a terrible department or division they can make or break it. – less
Camp Counselor for kids ages 10-13
Camp Counselor (Former Employee), Newark, CaMarch 7, 2015
Pros: i love working with kids
I was a Camp counselor for school age children 10-13. It was a good camp and I love teaching kids. I'm glad that I was able to practice my christian faith and help kids learn bible studies throughout the summer.
University of San Francisco Upward Bound Trio Programs
Associate Director (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: students, colleagues, campus climate and benefits
Cons: long hours, understaffed and inadequate operational funds
Typical days revolved around strengthening the educational climate for the K-12 population. Sometimes we were dealing with state and city issues and other times the US Department of Education funding and political matters. The afternoons, weekends and summers were all about the students we served. I had the opportunity to learn organizational and management skills, conflict mediation, data collection input and analysis, as well as, STEM programming. My Director was my biggest supporter and vested mentor. My immediate co-workers, were both my advisors and supportive family. The hardest part of the job was fighting for continued funding, working 13 to 16 hour days during grant writing, college application and Financial Aid season. Being with the students is the highlight of the job. Helping them to prepare for college, open their eyes to the career possibilities in STEM and ultimately enrolled into college is the greatest feeling of accomplishment for students, staff and parents.
Required Job as a Graduate Student
Chemistry Laboratory Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 16, 2015
My teaching position came hand-in-hand with my enrollment as a graduate student with the chemistry department. The pay is ridiculously low, and despite my tuition being covered, and being employed by USF, I still had to take out a large loan just to pay for rent in the expensive city that is San Francisco.

The atmosphere is good, fellow students are great, and professors are helpful. I've learned a lot of different teaching techniques working here, and have been exposed to over 60+ different types of general chemistry labs at this point.
Good way to earn money through school
Research Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 5, 2015
Working at USF for a professor was a great way to earn some extra money while in school and getting some additional face time in with professors.
Great learning experience
USF Rugby Officer (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAOctober 6, 2014
Everyone is very helpful and fun to work with.Great way to gain experience.
nice staff, productive environment
Modern and Classical Languages Tutor (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJuly 22, 2014
A lot of the staff are friendly and professional, I often worked with minimal supervision
A prime opportunity to study at work
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJuly 18, 2014
Pros: can study at work.
Cons: no breaks
This being a position for college students, the ability to study while working was the best part of the job.

A typical shift is either 2 hours in the daytime or 3 hours at night. On shift, one registered incoming guests of residents, answered the phone and directed calls, helped residents with their mail and packages and any facility issues they might have. One was also responsible for certain actions in the event of a fire, fire drill, or earthquake.

I learned to handle irate residents, to call for help when I needed to, to multi-task and to answer phones.

Management was very supportive if a little lackadaisical about scheduling.

My co-workers were timely and responsible. It being a job where only one person is working at a time, we didn't interact much at work.

The hardest part of the job was staying awake at 3:35 in the morning.

The most enjoyable part was seeing my fellow students everyday.
Very Diverse Work and Environment
Media and Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJune 11, 2014
I have learned so much from my experience at University of San Francisco! My strength in research and program coordination comes from the many hats that I wore during the three years that I spent working at USF. Accountability is the key to success here. My co-workers were my family. The hardest part my job was leaving it because I had to move to Seattle.
Fun and exciting place to work
Office Assistant - ITS Support (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 28, 2014
I was able to learn a lot from working with my boss. She allowed me to take on many roles as a Office Assistant, which will help me in my future. My main job was providing reception duties, but was not limited to that. I helped transform the inventory room, where my boss and I reorganized it from scratch.
IT
Security Architect (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 23, 2014
Pros: university
Cons: significant internal change
THE UNIVERSITY IS UNDERGOING A TRANSFORMATION TO REMAIN COMPETITIVE WITH OTHER ORGANIZATIONS. THEREFORE, THERE ARE NEW PROCESSES, PEOPLE AND TECHNOLOGY INTRODUCED.
place to learn
Front Desk Assistant in athletics department (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 19, 2014
I enjoed working there. The stuff members were very helpful and willing to teach. The hardest part was able to mange multitasking but throughout time I managed to do it.
Really good management and a fun place to work at
911 dispatcher (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 10, 2014
Cons: really busy
Has a really good team just takes time to learn the work. It is a really busy place
Dedicated professional seeking to combine extensive experience in financial services with advanced economics education to fulfill an entry-level posit
Field Researcher (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 4, 2014
• Expertise using STATA/E-views to run regression analysis, open datasets, investigate the contents of datasets, consolidate results into summaries, charts, graphs, and tables, and produce academic papers and professional presentations on wide range of economic issues.

• Proved ability to deal with a wide range of individuals, including high-net-worth investors and institutional money manager, in a stressful and time-sensitive environment

• Strong team dynamic and team building skills. Recognized by coworkers as a house man due to readiness to help others and ability and dedication to work with colleagues
International Studies
Japanese Tutor (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 5, 2014
I'm studying many different field of study such as economy, politic, history and culture. By taking such a broad classes, I'm able to obtain different knowledge and perspective.
Great benefits
Office Coordinator/Program Assistant IV (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAMarch 15, 2014
Provides great benefits employees, especially the option for tuition remission, health club reimbursements for branch campuses, and retirement contributions.
Inclusive, diverse, extremely informative about real organizations.
Full Time Student (Former Employee), San Francisco, CA, Sacramento CampusFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: inclusion, promotion of education and accomplishment as well as self improvement.
Cons: complex issues and assignments, graduated with 3.40 gpa
University Of San Francisco is an exemplary institution. The organization is very support of the student population.

I am a proud recipient of a Bachelors Degree in Organizational Behavioral and Leadership.
Fun place to work with a lot of new technology to work with.
Network Admin - Student Specialist (Current Employee), San Francisco, CADecember 9, 2013
Generally the day starts off by walking in and logging into the work computer, check my queue for tickets which specify my tasks for the day.
I have learned a lot of new things regarding how NAC filters work, what are the important specs that need to be configured in a switch. How the fiber link provides the data connection, and many other Cisco equipment related information.
The management is really flexible and understand the fact that we are first the students of the University and academics is the number one priority.
The team that I work with is wonderful and they teach me something new everyday at work, and every time they encounter something different that I may not have come across, they make it a point to call me in and show me how those issues are tackled.
The best on campus job ever
Graduate Assistant for Tutoring Program (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAOctober 22, 2013
Working with the University Ministry has been very fun. The management as well as student staff is wonderful. You have a family here. My job is very flexible and is very self directed.