University of Saint Thomas Employee Reviews

I was a student employee
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJune 7, 2017
Don't take this review seriously. I was a student employee so I worked here as I was going to school. It was fine, they were flexible with my classes and I made okay part time cash
campus security
Public Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 7, 2017
Security at a college is like working for a private security company, you are there to protect the students, staff and facilities while balancing the schools policy and state and federal laws.
Cons
low pay
Wonderful students, faculty, and support staff
Adjunct Spanish Instructor (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 19, 2017
I have thoroughly enjoyed my 5+ years at UST. I am able to work with incredible students within a very organized system. A typical day consists of setting up for class, helping students for a while before class and working with them on things from the previous class. We begin the class with lots of interactive review practices, look at cultural topics, and learn new material. Students work hard and get great results. The hardest part is not having enough time in the semester to cover all the things as in depth, but we still do a good job.
Pros
Wonderful students, faculty, and support staff
Cons
Not enough time in the semester
Work hard, play hard
Admissions Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 11, 2016
Great place to work, particularly because of the people. Everyone is committed to St. Thomas and it's mission. The office culture is very unique and rare.
Independent work environment
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 10, 2015
Was able to work independently and creatively on a project for the school. Worked at home and at the school and frequently checked in with the VP of Student Affairs to make sure the project was moving as it should.
Love this place
Admission Front Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 23, 2015
The best place I've ever worked. Admission office is very friendly and family oriented. Not a hard job at all, mostly clerical.
Public safety is a temporary spot
Public safety officer (Former Employee) –  St paulOctober 15, 2013
The other review for public safety is pretty much spot on. I would add that management does not support their officers. I went through situations where I was spit at and assaulted while serving in my position and I (along with other officers present) would get "scolded" as a result of the incident. If you wish to show up and do nothing this is your type of place. Employees which should have been fired on the spot were allowed to stay and those who were productive were micro-managed. Discipline was not issued fairly. Management played favorites and didn't even try to hide it. Not to mention the manager which openly sexually harasses female employees and is still there.

Tuition remission is a great benefit but I recall having to completely rearrange my life because the managers would not be flexible with my schedule so I could take classes. It was only a big deal when I got close to graduating and my classes I needed were only offered once a semester.
Pros
Good experience, great coworkers, fun supervisors
Cons
Pub Safety is NOT all that...
PSO (Current Employee) –  St. PaulAugust 27, 2013
I have no doubt the other departments within UST are fun places to work. Public Safety is the exception.

You are considered a temporary employee - and that is the culture, we are there until something better comes along. There is no attempt to create a supportive work environment to keep employees. Even management emails outside job opportunities to staff!

Parking is not free. You can attend class tuition free (good deal!) after a year employed but books are on you. Pay is not good - and raises are a joke.

The best part of the job is the fun and supportive coworkers, as we are all in it together. Shared misery.

The worst part is dealing with students who aren't willing to be responsible for their actions and use the fact they pay (or their parents pay) a ton of money to justify their needs/wants.

If you need security experience with all the glam that comes with having UST on your resume, knock yourself out. But for real world experience or career possibilities, it won't be found here.
Pros
It's not a hard job, students on campus six months out of the year
Cons
No opportunities, politics, change is an evil word
Very rewarding workplace!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 10, 2013
I loved my time at St Thomas. The staff is awesome and really believes in the University. The administration is serious but personal. The students are the best. They are very fair with their reviews and raise process. If you get a chance to work here, take them up on the offer - you won't be sorry. The only drawback is that benefits can sometimes be expensive, but you get really great coverage. The only reason I don't still work there is that I had the chance to work from home - otherwise I would still be there.
Pros
staff, environment, vision, pay, raise process, home-town feel
Cons
benefits are a little pricey, but still a very small "con"
Great place to work!
Women's Basketball Graduate Assistant Coach (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 26, 2012
I was employed as a Graduate Assistant Women's Basketball Coach. I had the opportunity of being apart of the Inaugural Season of the Women's Basketball team. It was here that I learned how to be patient with the athletes and how to resolve conflict. I also gained experience with handling different personalities and effective leadership techniques.