University of South Alabama Employee Reviews

I was an intern
Community Counseling Intern (Former Employee) –  South Alabama, NYMay 15, 2017
I was fortunate to have an opportunity to counsel while my supervisor was on leave. I found the staff to be helpful and courteous, the medical support to be the same. It was a very long commute for me so by the end of the day I was pretty tired but everyone seemed to be understanding.

I wasn't an employee so I don't have anything to add regarding pay or benefits but the employees talked about those things privately. Seemed okay. It's a state job, so in some ways better than corporate these days.
Pros
Courteous people, great place to learn
Cons
the building I was in was OLD. Need windows!
Usa summary
Student (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALMay 15, 2017
I was a student researcher there. It was a good job, because I worked under a professor, and assisted him with his own lab work. It was nice that we traveled a lot for conference presentations.
The Professor I worked for was great
Student Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALApril 27, 2017
All experiences will be different according to the professor that you work for. I will say the lab I worked in was physically insufficient. It was often uncomfortable for two people to work in and we would frequently have up to five people present in the lab. The equipment was of a caliber one would expect from a university lab, but we didn't really have the proper room to house it all.
Pros
Get paid to learn, Work with Graduate students as an Undergraduate
Cons
Low compensation
Work Environment
Billing/Insurance Clerk (Current Employee) –  South Alabama, NYApril 7, 2017
The company work environment is great. The co-workers feel like family. Management is understanding and will to work with your schedule if an emergency come.
Adequate environment in which to work
Project Director (Former Employee) –  South Alabama, NYMarch 30, 2017
Position was one in a federally funded program with primary grantee located in another state.
Culture of workplace could be characterized as one of tolerance rather than acceptance.
Excellent opportunities t work with programs throughout two states.
Pros
location away from dominant campus
Cons
stressful environment
Good Environment
Strength and Conditioning Intern (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALMarch 22, 2017
The administrators, coaches and staff at the University of South Alabama all share the same goal to make athletics successful, and shape the student-athletes into hard working adults with great character.
Univeristy of South Alabama
Student Assistant, COM Dean's Office (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALMarch 22, 2017
As a student worker I have had great experiences here and I've learned a lot from the professional staff in the Admissions Office as well as the College of Medicine Dean's Office.
Need new management staff
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALFebruary 26, 2017
Usa family medicine is a joke...turn over rate is high, over worked, underpayed, no training, the director of nursing should be fired and it would probably be a decent place to work...very unprofessional, violations related to patient safety...i left bc i valued my nursing license more than that headache.
Pros
Cons
Management is horrible, relatiation if you report violations, racist
Student Job
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  South Alabama, NYFebruary 24, 2017
Orientation Leaders were the face of the University of South Alabama. Our job was to help with admissions, give tours, and assist the student with getting acclimated to the University.
Student jobs
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALFebruary 20, 2017
Great environment for student employees to gain work experience while enrolled in courses. Instructors are very helpful in assisting students as needed.
Great Opportunity for Industry Experience
research assistant (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJanuary 23, 2017
I had no experience in my industry, but my department started me out in a basic position and then moved me to research. The professor that oversaw my work helped me to get published before my graduation. I am very grateful to all the staff and faculty there.
Pros
great team of faculty
Cons
small amount of staff in the department
Very supportative and educational
Teaching Technologist and Sup. of Bld. Lab and ML (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJanuary 21, 2017
At USA I was enabled to grow in my professional laboratory field by the management. I was able to work in each aspect of the genetics lab and gain meaningful experience. I progressed from an entry level genetic technologist to a supervisory position. The work place culture was supportive and demanding . I enjoyed learning the different aspects of the lab.
Pros
Secure job status and holidays.
Cons
Pay was lower than private labs.
Below average compensation in their job market
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJanuary 15, 2017
Excellent training and IT support. Central Office has a tendency to micromanage. Large percentage of "benefits" paid for by employees.
great place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJanuary 9, 2017
i loved this university. it made me a better person by having attended as well as worked at. great place to work. great people
Great School
Women's Tennis Team - Assistant Coach (Current Employee) –  South Alabama, NYJanuary 8, 2017
School in Mobile, AL close to Florida,
Great mid major school for those looking for a cheap school in a sunny state
Tennis team is great
Good
Jaguar Productions Technical Chair (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALDecember 24, 2016
It was fine. I enjoyed working there. My supervisors were always friendly and helpful. I gained a lot of meaningful experience while working here.
I love my job
PT ACCT REP II (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALOctober 31, 2016
I love my job and I love the people I work with. I do not dread getting up and coming to work everyday. I love all of my co-workers. I am however disppointed that we are being outsourced and that is why I am having to look for work elsewhere. We are losing great benefits but unfortunately that is out of my control. I love people, I am a people person and I have a very outgoing personality. I work well with others. The hardest part of my job would be trying to get everything done at the end of the month. The best part of my job is the reward of knowing you actually did get it done!!!
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Terrible parking
LPN (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALOctober 19, 2016
Enjoyed working with new residents and staff. Great learning opportunities for both me and residents.
Employers were very much on top of all issues and quickly resolved.
Accounting Clerk IV (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALSeptember 23, 2016
The University is the largest employer in Mobile, Alabama. The compensation is extremely low and the benefits have depleted tremendously. Overall, different departments function differently and have great reviews for advancements with job and life balances. Would recommend working onsite rather than an offsite location. Offsite locations tend to have a more job culture with little flexibility to the necessary life balances.
Pros
Largest Employer in Mobile, Alabama
Cons
Departmental Differences in Job and Life Balances
All i have to say is....this place sucks!!!Stay away if you looking to come up because u will never get it here!!!!!!!!!
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJuly 31, 2016
Pray!!! To find better job. They don't do raises and they don't know how to treat people. Not a good place to work. I would never recommend anyone for employment here!!!!!
Pros
Na
Cons
Work really hard, no raises, to many wannabe managers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of South Alabama. Our community is ready to answer.

University of South Alabama Reviews by Location