UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH ALABAMA

UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH ALABAMA Employer Reviews

Fun workplace, Friendly environment
Lab Supervisor (Current Employee), Mobile, ALDecember 22, 2013
- Answer phone calls, check out/in equipment, office job
- English, team work, communication, write formal letters, office job
- The best manager Ever, have every thing planned, teach everything an employee need to know
- Nice co-workers, helpful
- communicate with students who are not on time
- having a great manager and co-workers
Better to work on the campus side
Residency Program Specialist (Current Employee), Mobile, ALNovember 12, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: as mentioned above.
After being hired as a campus employee and recently being reclassified to the medical side has made a great job become disappointing.
No Review
Office of the Registrar (Current Employee), Mobile, ALOctober 4, 2013
Working at University of South Alabama has allowed me the opportunity to cross train and learn many jobs in the Registrar's Office.
Excellent work environment at a University Campus
USA Facilities Project Management (Former Employee), Mobile, ALAugust 27, 2013
Pros: numerous extra benefits and a good work environment
Cons: state employee pay scale and management focused on higher education.
Excellent working environment with many extra benefits and facilities available for staff. Changing priorities made for a fast paced challenging workload. Education was the primary focvus and supportying student life was a driving factor in all projectas. Sometimes difficult to get management to understand the complexities and challenges of facility – more... engineering, design, and construction. This employment was during a major facilities expansion and construction period ($400 Million in 5 years) with a challenging work load. – less
Active workplace with 100-500 people
Southbound Orientation Leader (Current Employee), Mobile, ALJuly 13, 2013
My typical day at work would start at 7 A.M. and usually go until about 8 P.M. It involves a lot of social interaction and networking and keeping the incoming students and parents happy and satisfied. There are various things to do throughout the day such as giving oral and Powerpoint presentations, giving tours of the campus, leading and assisting – more... in the registration processes. What I have learned from this experience is how to adapt to each individual's needs, as long as how to manage time and work. My co-workers were great, because we all had the same goal, which was to make sure each person was taken care of and to make sure that they had an enjoyable experience at the university. The hardest part of my job would have to be the long hours and constantly being on my feet and being ready to go. There weren't many rest periods. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be seeing the satisfaction on everyone's face. You can't really please everyone but as long as I can say that I tried, I will take it! – less
Good place to work for.
Math Tutor (Current Employee), Mobile, ALJune 10, 2013
I learned a lot at this place.Since it was my first job there was a lot of room to learn new things.I tutor freshmen students in Algebra and Precalculus for around 4 hours everyday.
One has to be very patient in this job.Students often get frustated and you have to keep your calm.
Helping Students help themselves.
Communication Center Recruiter (Current Employee), Mobile, ALMay 16, 2013
I love this job because I love helping students who would like to come to my university.
A company with great potential
Clerk III (Current Employee), Mobile, ALMay 5, 2013
Pros: opportunities for employment promotion, a company on the grow
Cons: slow hiring process, slightly behind on technology
USA has great potentials to be a successful educational and healthcare facility. I am a firm believer that you are only as strong as your team leader or co worker.
Productive and fun environment with fellow academic leaders, but looking to advance at a different location.
Peer Academic Leader (Current Employee), Mobile, ALJanuary 25, 2013
- Excellent Staff and Crew
- Great opportunity to help those in need
- Overall C/C+ with regards to multiple variables
Job security, however no advancement, no pay
Staff (Current Employee), Mobile, ALJanuary 12, 2013
Pros: job security, health insurance, tuition reimbursement
Cons: pay, staff shortage, tuition reimbursement, respect, degree snobbery
The one positive thing that can be said about positions at South Alabama is is that they provide job security. Staff are almost at poverty level and there is practically no room for advancement. The University expects their employees to have advanced degrees just to pay them $30,000 a year. It's laughable!!! Departments are short staffed and people – more... are having to do the work of several positions. But if you can find the time to go to school, the University will reimburse you for 'almost' 2 classes per semester. – less

terenalia – January 27, 2013

Organization sucks. Bunch of butt kissers, no respect for employees, low employee morale, and keeps butt kissers around to agitate good workers. God forbid anyone who works at this place. I did for 20 years, glad to have got my retirement and finally left......

Great work experience for a student position
Graphic Design Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Mobile, ALNovember 7, 2012
Lots of great printing and troubleshooting experience for a student to learn before graduation. Very beneficial down there road once I entered the workforce.
Great parttime job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Mobile, ALOctober 23, 2012
Pros: free on campus parking located near my classes
Cons: no cons in this job
This was a part time job while I completed my undergrad degree. I worked as an administrative assistant for a professor who was doing research.
Fun office environment with informative staff
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Mobile, ALOctober 9, 2012
Pros: great people, good learning experiences
Cons: required hours to be limited
I was promoted to this position from a work-study position and it couldn't have been a bigger step up at the time. I learned so much more about the office and all of the duties of my boss who was assistant to the Dean of the college. Except for excessively busy times, there was no hard part of the job as I took to it easily. And the whole job was enjoyable!
Student Oriented
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Mobile, ALOctober 7, 2012
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: temporary
As a teaching assistant, I spent most of my time in the graduate student office, which is separate from the departmental faculty/staff.
If you can get in.
USA (Former Employee), where else is USA located???September 27, 2012
just like with all mobile, alabama jobs, you can't get in unless you know someone. They will also be the person to protect and cover for you when you mess up. you won't even get an opportunity and when you do, you have to kiss up. they will, however, hire international students and pay them little to nothing.
Great for Students
Lab Assistant and Grader (Current Employee), Mobile, ALSeptember 10, 2012
Working for my department was a great way to earn some money while keeping in line with my studies.
Good
Educational Outreach Specialist (Current Employee), Mobile, AlaAugust 25, 2012
Good
Very nice people and beautiful to work
New facility
Good
Very nice people and beautiful to work
New facility
Good
Very nice people and beautiful to work
Friendly & Competitive Enviroment
Research Technologist I (Current Employee), Mobile, ALAugust 20, 2012
Pros: great insurance
Cons: sometimes too busy for lunch or breaks
I'm able to work independently and I feel that this has made me more productive.
Progressive Environment for Employment
Editor and Contributing Writer (Former Employee), Mobile, ALAugust 17, 2012
Pros: great environment
Cons: hard to get involved
Best Place I've ever worked as far as coworkers and work life balance. The only place where working felt like living.
A basic easy job for a student looking for part time work
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Mobile, ALJune 29, 2012
Pros: easy, close to school
Cons: little pay or benefits
Working for your university is probably the best way to balance school and work. The pay is lousy and there are no benefits and advancement to speak of but you're literally right there at the school.
You get to see what the inner workings of the university are all about and having a job like this on your resume does help later on. Tasks range from answering – more... phones and typing letters, to delivering packages and proctoring exams. – less