University of South Carolina Aiken Employee Reviews in United States

Great interaction w/ Students, but lack of Support
Program Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCMarch 7, 2016
I enjoy working with the students and their families, but when it comes to support from upper management (directors and those above them) they become more about self glory and less about being a team/family.
Pros
Stable State Leveled Position
Cons
Poor management is some areas, lack of Supervisor support
Plenty of opportunities to grow as a person and your leadership skills
Student (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCOctober 7, 2015
As a student, I took classes through out the week until I was accepted into the Nursing School. During the nursing program, I was in class Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday with clinical days either n Thursday, Friday or Saturdays.
Simple Laboratory Set-Up
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCJune 21, 2015
The research assistance entailed handling various chemical glassware and setting them up in a fashion that would allow you proceed with your experiment. As research assistants, we were required to be able to create solutions and combine various compounds on a day to day basis. Column Chromatography, TLC testing, and using the NMR instrument were just a few techniques used daily. Being a research assistant was very useful for learning how collaborative environments operated.
Tough but beneficial job
Research Assistant for CNERVE (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCMay 16, 2014
Learning how to use the equipment and conducting my own research projects with the equipment helped me to gain research experience and learn about the method and procedure of research in general. Teaching others how to use the equipment was also beneficial; I learned how to teach the usage of complicated equipment so that faculty, undergraduates, and young children could understand how it worked. Some tasks were assigned randomly, while others were scheduled weeks or months in advance. My co-worker and I worked separately from our employer, only meeting when a new task was assigned.
Great people and weather is a plus
Assistant Men's Basketball Coach (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCMay 1, 2014
Work environment is fun, here you will learn that the environment and people here make the university a great place to work. The faculty, staff and everyone in the community is very supportive of the University and it's goals. Administration is very understanding that being a college basketball coach is a 24/7 job so you learn how to manage your time and it's important to stay organized throughout the season.
Thoroughly enjoy working as Adjunct Nursing Faculty
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCDecember 30, 2013
Monitor students in clinical setting and assist with facilitating their transition from student to Registered Nurse.
Very interesting and enjoyable wet chemistry.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Department of Chemistry and PhysicsOctober 30, 2013
The academic lab I did research in synthesized novel inorganic model compounds taken from the active sites of enzymes. My research extended over a two year period.
I began by synthesizing a series of N-Heterocyclic carbene supported ligands by using a microwave synthesis technique and characterized them by using Nuclear Magnetic Resonance.
Once I was able to synthesize a clean ligand, it was used further. Because the complex I was attempting to make was air sensitive, the synthesized ligand was pumped into an inert atmosphere glovebox. Most of the work from that point on was done inside the glovebox.
Using UV/VIS spectroscopy, we were able to prove that we were successful in synthesizing a copper(I)-oxygen species.
I gave talks on this experiment two years in a row at South Carolina Academy of Science. The hardest parts of the job were also the most enjoyable. That was looking at what I had, deciding what to change to make the experiment work better or faster, or make the product cleaner. Being very meticulous at measurements and conditions was a very big part of the success of the project.
Pros
feeling accomplished when i was able to get an experiment to work repetedly
Cons
having to pass the project on to someone else when i graduated
Great opportunity to be a part of a great athletic program
Head Coach of the Cheerleading Team (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCApril 30, 2013
Mentors were always available to answer questions and offer suggestions. Enjoyed the game environment and watching the team grown and build as the season progressed.
Pros
flexibility of hours
Cons
didn't compete
Close relationships
Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCAugust 1, 2012
Event planning
Travel to high schools across SC
Meet with prospective students and their families
Implement communication plan with prospective students
Pros
good work environment
Cons
weekend work
Great work place
Student Coordinator of Student Involvement (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCMay 23, 2012
A typical day involved planning, organizing, and setting up for events on campus. I learned many skills at this work place for example: organizational skills, publishing and marketing skills, managing skills, as well as the ability to manage multiple tasks. My management was at this job was a joy to work with and for, as well as my co-workers.
Pros
management skills and organization skills