University of South Carolina Aiken

University of South Carolina Aiken Employer Reviews

Very interesting and enjoyable wet chemistry.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Department of Chemistry and PhysicsOctober 30, 2013
Pros: feeling accomplished when i was able to get an experiment to work repetedly
Cons: having to pass the project on to someone else when i graduated
The academic lab I did research in synthesized novel inorganic model compounds taken from the active sites of enzymes. My research extended over a two year period.
I began by synthesizing a series of N-Heterocyclic carbene supported ligands by using a microwave synthesis technique and characterized them by using Nuclear Magnetic Resonance.
Once I was – more... able to synthesize a clean ligand, it was used further. Because the complex I was attempting to make was air sensitive, the synthesized ligand was pumped into an inert atmosphere glovebox. Most of the work from that point on was done inside the glovebox.
Using UV/VIS spectroscopy, we were able to prove that we were successful in synthesizing a copper(I)-oxygen species.
I gave talks on this experiment two years in a row at South Carolina Academy of Science. The hardest parts of the job were also the most enjoyable. That was looking at what I had, deciding what to change to make the experiment work better or faster, or make the product cleaner. Being very meticulous at measurements and conditions was a very big part of the success of the project. – less
Great opportunity to be a part of a great athletic program
Head Coach of the Cheerleading Team (Former Employee), Aiken, SCApril 30, 2013
Pros: flexibility of hours
Cons: didn't compete
Mentors were always available to answer questions and offer suggestions. Enjoyed the game environment and watching the team grown and build as the season progressed.
Close relationships
Admissions Counselor (Current Employee), Aiken, SCAugust 1, 2012
Pros: good work environment
Cons: weekend work
Event planning
Travel to high schools across SC
Meet with prospective students and their families
Implement communication plan with prospective students
Great work place
Student Coordinator of Student Involvement (Former Employee), Aiken, SCMay 23, 2012
Pros: management skills and organization skills
A typical day involved planning, organizing, and setting up for events on campus. I learned many skills at this work place for example: organizational skills, publishing and marketing skills, managing skills, as well as the ability to manage multiple tasks. My management was at this job was a joy to work with and for, as well as my co-workers.