University of South Carolina Employee Reviews

Great work
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 25, 2017
I have worked with mouse models for colon cancer and studied the liver metastasis in colon cancer. Learnt the mice surgeries and performed dissections on specific strains of mice for colon cancer.
Fun Student Employment
Undergraduate Student Services Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 20, 2017
I enjoyed working here as a student worker. I worked as a Peer Counselor in the Psychology undergraduate office. I got to help my fellow students and learned a lot about the department and academic advising.
Supportive work environment and great teaching experience.
Teaching/Grading Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 20, 2017
A typical day in this role consisted of either grading papers or leading discussion sections of thirty students, three times per week. I learned how to effectively communicate with students and how to teach them to write and think independently. The workplace culture was good because the professors that I worked for were very supportive and knowledgable about the subjects and how to teach them. The hardest part of the job was dealing with students who weren't interested in the material. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing a student's hard work pay off.
Excelente universidad
Student assistant (Former Employee) –  USJuly 18, 2017
Excelente educacion y profesores. Al igual que los equipos de deporte
Great Learning Experience
Student (Former Employee) –  onlineJuly 13, 2017
I chose USC to study Public Health. I am interested in the field, specifically food safety/restaurant inspection. So much information was obtained. The instructor was clear in explanation and helpful. Highly recommend
Worked here for 7 years and loved it
Administrative Assistant, Office of Special Events (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 12, 2017
I've worked at the University of South Carolina in a Film Archive, Rare Books Library and as an admin for a Special Events office. I loved working for the university.
A good place to work if you are full time
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 3, 2017
If you have a full time job, this is one of the best institutions to work for; unfortunately, if you are part time, good luck. There are no benefits and the wages are hard to live on.
Great learning and skill developing experience
Freelance Videographer (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 30, 2017
The work was fast paced but enjoyable. I developed various promotional videos used by the University on social media pages as well as their websites. great experience with working individually and also as a group to develop quality videos for promoting departments in the University of South Carolina.
Pleasurable work environment
Hazmat Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 29, 2017
I guess depending on what department you work for translates to how you'll enjoy your job. I worked for the environmental department. Never had an issue with Management, they were very down to earth. The biggest downfall was that only myself and one other on our crew of about 8 took our job seriously. The professionalism of many of our coworkers was lacking greatly. Many times it made us all look bad..
Pros
Management, laid back environment
Cons
Coworkers very unprofessional. Low pay with little chance of increase
Semester internship
Research Associate (Practicum I & II) (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 27, 2017
Easy job , and worked around school schedule which was great. Supervision was important in maneuvering though work experience. Limited benefits however could utilize work experience on resume.
Pros
flexible work schedule allowed for classes and work
Cons
semester internship
pay sucks, benefits good
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 27, 2017
the pay sucks but the benefits are good. USC facilities and maintenance provides, a service vehicle, uniforms, tools, credit card for materials, boots, 18 hrs accrue leave/mth along with an hour lunch break. The benefits are okay, with access to insurance and retirement.
The pay however, sucks! Expect to be a Band 4 employee at 29,500 salary until you can upgrade to a supervisory position, which is pretty much not worth it because a supervisor doesnt make much more.
The work flow most of time is slow. Just kinda ride around looking for something to do. I think I might go back when I retire and don't need to make a living.
Pros
Cons
below market pay, dead end job, no room for progression
Certified Pharmacy Tech
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 26, 2017
Best pharmacy job ever! The pharmacy director is a smart lady who enjoys having a superb staff. In other words, she will respect you in your position. Not like pharmacists who like to micro manage. She's a really good pharmacist so you'll definitely have to bring your A game and know how to take direction. But you can relax too BC she's someone you can ask anything to and know she is going to help you with whatever issue. The other staff members are great too!

This is the only place I have ever worked that I can say everyone seems to really care about the patients/students/customers.

They go out of their way each and every day to assist the students of U.S.C. and their families.
Pros
Pay (sort of), staff, environment
Cons
The bad attitudes of students at times (too important to stand in line)
great school
Hydroponics Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 20, 2017
USC is a great school with tons of opportunities to learn and grow from. The only downfall is the city itself; it lacks diversity, fun activities, and a good food scene.
Fun workplace
Summer Camp Student-Athlete (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 15, 2017
I worked with kids all summer and worked them out. It was a camp and allowed the children to have a lot of structure for 3-5 days a week for a week . I enjoyed the workplace and had a blast.
Productive and fun place to work
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 15, 2017
It is very casual and laid back. There is no strict deadlines and there are no strict time schedules. Very flexible when it comes to doctors appointments.
Pros
Relationships with co-workers and students, Benefits, flexibility
Cons
Pay
A Great Learning Opportunity
Senior Web Designer (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 13, 2017
USC is a great place to work if you want to broaden your knowledge. I've learned about physics, public safety, oceanography, and exercise science all from working for different departments there. Smart, interesting co-workers and work that never gets boring. Really, the main downside to working at USC is that a lot of positions are grant-funded, which means that if the funding for the grant paying your salary isn't renewed, your job disappears. However, it's still a good opportunity if you're not concerned about staying for more than a few years.
Pros
interesting work, state benefits
Cons
grant-funded jobs
Great if you enjoy lab work
Lab/Process Intern (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaJune 5, 2017
I was there as an intern. The stipend was 4,800 for the summer and the housing was free. I liked trouble shooting experimental equipment when things would go wrong. However, most of the job consisted of lab work. I roomed with 3 other guys and there were 12 of us total. Everyone was really cool and I had a blast while I was there.
Fun and Interesting Atmosphere
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 31, 2017
Typical days are slow outside of peak student involvement (beginning of semester/end of the semester). Management is understanding of this and typically not overbearing. It is a great place to work if you value those bursts of energy and downtime to prevent burnout.
Review
Grounds Crew (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 27, 2017
USC was a great place to work. The staff I worked with was a ton of fun. I looked forward to working everyday. working outside was a lot of fun too.
Stressful work environment but encouraging people
Carolina Caller (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 25, 2017
I loved the fast pace call center environment. It pushed me to work harder to gain benefits and raises. The boss was very critical in pushing us to be the best we could be.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of South Carolina. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3