University of South Carolina

University of South Carolina United States Employee Reviews

Great for Student
Student Coordinator/Supervisor (Current Employee), Columbia, SCApril 20, 2015
The university is a great place to work for students who are currently taking classes because it offers a flexible schedule
good learning environment
Student (Former Employee), Columbia, SCApril 17, 2015
go to school, learn, have lunch , visit with friends . do the homework, then go home not a company. this is a school. the teachers are good and the subject matter is relavant
Assisted Graduate Students with Research Projects
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Columbia, SCApril 15, 2015
Pros: Flexible Hours
Cons: Low Pay
Research projects in the civil engineering field were conducted in a laboratory. Experiment in water, soil, and other materials are tested to confirm strength, design safety, or fatigue life.
Great place to work not enough pay
Peer Mentor (Current Employee), Columbia, SCApril 14, 2015
This is a peer tutoring position for students at the school. This has a good environment with friendly coworkers and supervisors. Great place for a college job.
Tour Guide
Student Ambassador (Former Employee), Spartanburg, SCApril 2, 2015
This was an awarding experience. Having the opportunity to engage students and inform them about higher education was great. This job was fun, as well as challenging because we gave tours in mostly any kind of weather and we still had to perform to the best of our ability.
Can be a challenge at times
Custodial Supervisor (Current Employee), Columbia, South CarolinaMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Gym
Cons: Just about everything else, unfortunately.
I work in Custodial services, where retention rates are historically low, so training new people is something I almost always have to do.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with the different personalities, and finding ways to bring the best out of these personalities. When you are at a point where you think you know their skill set, they've either been fired, or quit.

I am learning how to be an effective leader, and the importance of time management.

My co-workers are, for the most part, computer illiterate, including some areas in management.

The most enjoyable part of the job is access to the gym facility.
USC
PeopleSoft Program Manager (Current Employee), Columbia, SCMarch 26, 2015
I enjoyed working for this project. The work ethics and culture was too good. We had a great productivity and quality working together as a team.
A great place to work!
Master Scheduler (Current Employee), Columbia, SCMarch 11, 2015
Pros: benefits for temporary employees
Cons: not getting paid for required days off
On a daily basis, I come in to work and process requests through our shared email account for the Scheduling Department of the Registrar's Office. I have wonderful colleagues that are supportive and helpful whenever needed. I love my boss. She is always on the ball and creates a comfortable atmosphere in our office. I think the hardest part of the job is getting a permanent position on this team. Overall, I believe this is one of the best places to work in South Carolina!
Employee (Former Employee), Columbia, SCMarch 5, 2015
Many opportunities and areas to work. Great place to start and work up to a mid-level position. Offers a number of professional development opportunities to their employees.
Wages are low (below market), employees have to pay for parking, and a huge lack of diversity
Assistant Warehouse Manager (Current Employee), Columbia, SCFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: tuition assistance - one class per semester
Cons: don't make enough to buy books regardless of tuition assistance
Within the academic support/student affairs division and facilities management division, it's required that the administrative employees and the office support staff have at least a bachelor's degree; however, the salaries offered to the them range from $26,000 to $32,000 per year. Cronyism is a huge issue at the University of South Carolina, as this is the South and the good ole boy network is still in effect. The trades specialist are not required to have any type of trade certifications; therefore, the University can get away with staffing a large number of general maintenance/trades employees and pay them extremely low wages.
GREAT GRADUATE EDUCATION SYSTEM
Ph.D. and Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJanuary 29, 2015
At USC, I have been trained to be an experienced fuel cell researcher. My project “Development of Ultra-low Pt Loading Hybrid Cathode Catalyst for PEM fuel cells” funded by U.S. Department of Energy gave me strong skills in the areas of support and catalyst synthesis and optimization, material characterizations, fuel cell performance and stability testing, and data analysis.
Fine
Adunct Faculty (Current Employee), Columbia, SCJanuary 23, 2015
Fine. Research and develop electrical technical products.
Busy schedule
Administrative Specialist II/Fiscal Technician II (Current Employee), Columbia, SCJanuary 20, 2015
The day to day operations of my job is busy because I purchase for the whole college. My co-workers make the job enjoyable because I like assisting others.
Good company
Call Center Representative (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: talking to clients, flexable work hours.
Cons: short breaks, health care options
Constant monitoring by the supervisors and the state due to the criteria set by the state. The hardest part is adhering to rules and the most enjoyable part was the interacting with the state residents. I learned computer skills, interactions with people and patience.
Good University
Language Instructor (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: university
Very pleasant workplace. French program was interesting and challenging for all the right reasons. Good sequencing of courses. Excellent students. Beautiful campus. Great tens of professors and instructors.
I appreciate that they offer me this job to cover my tuition fee.
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Columbia, SCDecember 22, 2014
I work very well with my professor, help his review articles, translate paper, write invitation letter, and do advertisement.
Enormous Learning Experience
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Columbia, SCDecember 19, 2014
Pros: friendly co-workers
Cons: temporary position
I learned a lot while working a this establishment. The job was intended to pay a portion of my college tuition.
Internship provided experience to prepare me for profesional challenges in Higher Education
Resident Hall Director (Former Employee), Columbia, SCDecember 8, 2014
Pros: expierence proved vital in preparation for career in higher education
Cons: demanding workload
Managed a student living environment, was difficult at times to balance with coursework.
Advocacy
Enrichment Coordinator/Instructor (Current Employee), Columbia, SCDecember 8, 2014
I do advocacy work with the greatest staff ever in TRiO. We provide services for first-generation low-income students in high poverty areas. We are a college access program and we love serving the youth.
Volunteer Position
Archaeology Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Columbia, SCNovember 18, 2014
Pros: it was only for about 2 hours a day.
Cons: it was not paid.
This volunteer opportunity for one of the professors in my department was great for learning about the process of archaeological research. I worked in the lab cleaning minor things from the site and spent time extensively organizing them.

1 2 3 4 5