University of South Carolina Employee Reviews

Usc
Student Loan Accounting (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 12, 2017
Department could do better
Many departments are ran by autocratic leadership and play the politics game with raises and jobs advancement.
Too many personal relationships preventing good employees from being successful.
No problems with the University
Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 30, 2017
I had no problem working for the University, However I left there because the salary was somewhat low, and did not always have any pay raises. The job was not hard at all. The workplace was work driven based on student grades and employee payroll which was steady. You knew what needed to be done and had an idea of what you would be doing each day.
Pros
Sometime companies donated free lunch
Cons
Low Pay with little pay raises
Great Opportunity
*Fun workers
*Opportunity for Career advancements
Depends on...
Student Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 27, 2016
It was an overall rewarding experience. Work can become routine-like and boring at times. little to no-room for advancement.

Good benefits and flexible time (again, depends on the department).

People are generally really friendly and great to work with.
Pros
Benefits, work-life balance, beautiful campus.
Cons
no room for advancement, bureaucratic
A higher education institution is a rewarding environment to work in.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 16, 2016
I have not had the opportunity for advancement in my department and have a multitude of administrative experience. I have shown management that I am fully capable of performing complex tasks, as well as assisting in implementing and learning new computer software for the university.

Management has not shown their willingness to upgrade/reward employees for their hard work and going the extra mile.
Pros
Professional Development courses, Exercise facilities, Enroll in one free class per semester
Cons
Salary is not commensurate with my abilities
Great work relationship with employees of the university
Graduate Assistant, College of Social Work (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 13, 2016
The work culture of the University's social work department was supportive, engaging and always striving to put the needs of the students first. One of the main goals of all staff and faculty in the social work department is to see all the students accomplish their goals and also gain thorough knowledge of their profession to be culturally competent and most importantly, show and give compassion to all of our clients and their families.
Good Place to Work
Media Services Rep.-Customer service (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 23, 2016
Good Director and the people are fun to be around. You learn alot of good technical terms and its one of the best places to be to learn about cameras and equipment you will need to use in your everyday career.
I learned a lot from this Ph.D. program
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 25, 2017
Professors are so nice to help you and give you valuable insights during your research. Meanwhile, I really enjoyed the culture of our department, ENHS family.
Very nice place to work
Outreach Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 20, 2016
A typical work day consist of providing counseling and housing to individuals who are homeless and the presents a disabling condition.
Pros
Huge caseload, very fulfilling.
Cons
Huge caseload and there's no room for advancement.
Workplace that encouraged learning and improvement on circuit design and construction
Teaching Assistant/Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 29, 2017
As a TA and lab assistant a typical work day would involve anything from helping students work on labs that involved circuit design to working on small scale projects for orientation week or EE conventions. Working as a TA came with the responsible of describing circuit design and implementation on a deeper level that the students could understand. This could range from breaking a circuit down to the component level or showing the relationship and understanding from going from a schematic to building a small scale circuit. Working in the labs provided extra time to fully work with various sets of lab equipment including; oscilloscopes, function generators, power supplies, and digital multi-meters. The most enjoyable part of either job was the close relationship between peers and students, getting the chance to reacquaint myself with previous labs and having the chance to teach upcoming sophomores. The EE department at USC is tight community of engineering students and professors and being a part of overall system at work there truly was something I felt honored to be apart of.
Good places
Lab Manager/Associate Director (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 6, 2016
Good places for PhD level scientists to be a professor or researcher. Friendly job culture. Colleagues are usually humble.
The University of South Carolina is a challenging SEC environment
Volunteer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 9, 2016
I enjoyed working at my alma mater. I learned so much from being involved with an SEC caliber program.) It is my goal to return to this level of Collegiate Athletics and coach the elite athlete to a Championship.)

A program of this caliber has to be dynamically organize. A quality staff is a good indicator of the programs success. The meaning of team extends to the numerous staff off the field.

My favorite part of my job was preparing the athletes for Gameday.

The hardest part of the job was keeping pace, but it was also the exciting part of the job.
Pros
Elite level competition
Cons
none!
A great professor, mentor
Assistant Audio Engineer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 22, 2016
A great in environment and great acess to knowledge.i leaned a great amount of information from my professor and he was also my internship supervisor. Taught me a almost everything i know about digital workstations, inner and outer workings of a mixing boards and a great amount of microphone situations and scenrios.
Work environment
Sr. Cognos Developer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 22, 2016
 Worked with Business Units to define Business strategy and create a centralized reporting capability for users to perform analytical and ad-hoc reporting for business applications and provide accurate information available to Decision Makers.
 Implemented Framework manager security for Data access, Object level access and Package access.
 Created database layer and business layer, defining appropriate relationship between query subjects in Framework Manager.
Good Place to work and study
Full Stake Developer - Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 24, 2017
Individually Developed a complete Web Application for creating and publishing Key Artifacts (Reports & MIS) for Provost Office
from scratch in Agile Methodology.
Liberal Place with freedom to think about new concepts & implementation.
fine environment and challenging
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 13, 2017
good place to work, enthusiastic people who always motivates towards their goal. Best working environment which motivates you or energetic you for your work
I enjoyed working as an assistant to a professor.
Project Assistant: On-TRACK Grant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 31, 2016
The College of Education provides graduate students with an opportunity to assist professors while completing their studies. The hours were flexible and allowed me to focus on my work, as well as provide assistance to a professor.
Economical shortfall in the state for administrative pay
Administrative Assistant I (Current Employee) –  1300 Greene St. Columbia SC 29208January 9, 2017
Entering a new phase of my life and am looking forward to challenges and changes. The numbers puzzles are still my favorite, but customer services is always nice to interact with the actual users
Very cozy for studying and living
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 30, 2016
Very nature environment and cozy climate. People are very nice but in somewhat conservative. One of my biggest cons is about the bureau's efficiency in which there is a lot of room to improve.
productive
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 21, 2017
i did not like working there they cheated me out of my money the mangers were rude but the students are really nice but if you have a atitude problem i should suggest you should not work there

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of South Carolina. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3