University of South Carolina

University of South Carolina Employee Reviews

Working Atmosphere
Night Asst. Building Facility Supervisor (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJuly 1, 2015
The management did not create a working atmosphere that was pleasant for all people. They did not treat everyone equal or fair based on your work ethics and experience.
Workload was extreme but results rewarding
Admissions Administrative Specialist II (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJune 27, 2015
Pros: free parking
Cons: low pay
We worked nonstop from 8:30 until 5:00. Time was of the essence in our ability to review transcripts, applications and determine if students were eligible for admission. Also had to process readmits, nondegree applicants and transfer students. Had to learn various computer applications specific to admissions. As with all jobs these days the computer applications were replaced with more updated programs – more... requiring us to continuously be educated. Loved being part of a team that worked together to get things done. We took pride in our work. Only downside was compensation. Because it was a state job, compensation was low however benefits were good. Our supervisor was an extremely hard worker. Hardest part of the job, was low pay. Most enjoyable part of the job was being part of a team that took pride in consistently exceeding our goals. – less
Great Organization
Resident Mentor (Former Employee), Aiken, SCJune 17, 2015
Pros: Learning leadership and communication skills
Cons: Getting a emergency phone call during your study time
The work environment is very calm and kind of a do it at your own pace environment. No day was the same, every day involved something different because each day there was a different problem going on. While working here i was able to learn better communication skills, leadership skills, management skills and i was able to enhance my creativity skills. The most enjoyable part of the day was seeing my co-workers. We were like family, we were together on and off the job.
very productive and excellent workplace.
Soccer Assistant (Former Employee), Salkehatchie, SCJune 16, 2015
Excellent working environment
I've learned to work as a team,
excellent colleagues,
Hardest part is to work with an upset
customer. but very enjoyable.
Lab assistant
Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJune 6, 2015
Pros: Assisting students
Cons: Some students had bad attitudes
I worked as a lab assistant in the University of South Carolina's journalism department. It was there that I assisted student with assignments. I also helped keep the printers stocked so students could print their work.
Limited, flexible hours for graduate students.
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJune 1, 2015
For graduate assistantship, 7.5 hours/week. Will have a faculty member to assist. They are usually flexible on when you complete your hours (which day of the week, splitting days). Only con is the lack of communication on when duties end for holidays and end of the school year which can cause confusion about pay.
Loved my time at USC
COORDINATOR FOR RESIDENTIAL STUDENT CONDUCT (Former Employee), Columbia, SCMay 26, 2015
I am extremely grateful for the professional development that I received and the skills that I gained during my time at the University of South Carolina. It was truly a wonderful place to work.
Productive and fun place to work
College Student (Current Employee), columbia, south carolinaMay 25, 2015
Very educational. Gained a great amount of real life work experience that I will be able to utilize in future jobs/careers.
I am involved in very engaging activities at the backstage of the University's Theatre
Backstage Technician (Current Employee), Aiken, SCMay 21, 2015
A typical day at work will involve me working with my colleagues and director in organizing school programs backstage.I have been able to develop my team working skills in the process.
Great place to work for those who have always wanted to work in a University setting
Student Services Program Coordinator I (Current Employee), Columbia, SCMay 21, 2015
Pros: healthy work environment
Cons: opportunities for advancement within the department
Financial Services is a challenging area to work in. Many times the area has negative feedback due to the nature of the business (dealing with people's money).

The management staff is sharp and supportive. You are expected to do your job effectively and efficiently. However, they make themselves available when additional assistance, clarification or training is needed.
Productive Work place
Undergraduate Researcher (Current Employee), Columbia, SCMay 18, 2015
Pros: Interrative Learning
Cons: None
It was a great place to work and the management were very understanding and they taught me a lot of things.

I learned a lot of things that would be very useful for my next job
Kind and open coworkers; wonderful environment
Production Assistant (Current Employee), Beaufort, SCMay 13, 2015
Pros: enjoyable atmosphere
I love working here. The other staff members do their best to make sure that the student workers are all happy and well taken care of. Everyone is so nice to each other to the point that a family atmosphere is easily attainable. If someone is not happy then the other members notice quickly and try to help.

The work we get is generally from professors or students looking to make a video for the – more... purpose of promoting a class/club or informing others about a lesson or social topic. This is not to say that the work cannot be time consuming and/or difficult, but it makes it all the more enjoyable.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that when the student or professor gets their finished production and the look of wonder and amazement on their faces. While putting in the work and endlessly wondering and hoping that it turns out alright, the recipient is utterly happy about the entire product. – less
Awesome position
Student Services Project Coordinator / Temp (Former Employee), Columbia, SCMay 13, 2015
Pros: Excellent Work environment, the teamwork was exceptional.
Cons: Only Temporary
This position was awesome, I had no problems because I was able to work in this position before, I was hired as a temporary employee.
Great for Student
Student Coordinator/Supervisor (Current Employee), Columbia, SCApril 20, 2015
The university is a great place to work for students who are currently taking classes because it offers a flexible schedule
good learning environment
Student (Former Employee), Columbia, SCApril 17, 2015
go to school, learn, have lunch , visit with friends . do the homework, then go home not a company. this is a school. the teachers are good and the subject matter is relavant
Assisted Graduate Students with Research Projects
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Columbia, SCApril 15, 2015
Pros: Flexible Hours
Cons: Low Pay
Research projects in the civil engineering field were conducted in a laboratory. Experiment in water, soil, and other materials are tested to confirm strength, design safety, or fatigue life.
Great place to work not enough pay
Peer Mentor (Current Employee), Columbia, SCApril 14, 2015
This is a peer tutoring position for students at the school. This has a good environment with friendly coworkers and supervisors. Great place for a college job.
Tour Guide
Student Ambassador (Former Employee), Spartanburg, SCApril 2, 2015
This was an awarding experience. Having the opportunity to engage students and inform them about higher education was great. This job was fun, as well as challenging because we gave tours in mostly any kind of weather and we still had to perform to the best of our ability.
Can be a challenge at times
Custodial Supervisor (Current Employee), Columbia, South CarolinaMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Gym
Cons: Just about everything else, unfortunately.
I work in Custodial services, where retention rates are historically low, so training new people is something I almost always have to do.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with the different personalities, and finding ways to bring the best out of these personalities. When you are at a point where you think you know their skill set, they've either been fired, or quit.

I am learning how to be an effective leader, and the importance of time management.

My co-workers are, for the most part, computer illiterate, including some areas in management.

The most enjoyable part of the job is access to the gym facility.
USC
PeopleSoft Program Manager (Current Employee), Columbia, SCMarch 26, 2015
I enjoyed working for this project. The work ethics and culture was too good. We had a great productivity and quality working together as a team.

1 2 3 4 5